Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited June 2017 Posts: 23,883
    They could certainly go in an interesting direction with Turner as Bond, as @Mendes4Lyfe suggests. I'd be more open to him based on what I just viewed than other recent suggestions such as Cavill (plank) or Evans (looks good & tough, but is missing an edge).
    Aidan Turner would be Brosnan 2.0 but without the circumstances that made Brosnan's casting a marketing success.
    I'm not sure I agree with that. He's quite different from Brosnan. Less 'pretty' and 'pin up'. There's an element of danger to him. A cruelty which Brosnan lacked.

Having said that, the voice isn't distinctive (Dance showed him up) and he's lacking charisma (imho).
    I find him only marginally less pretty. Same with his menace: he is more menacing but not by much. Overall he shares a lot with Brosnan: mainly tv roles and a few small unmemorable movie roles, dark haired and handsome, he even has a hairy chest! But unlike Brosnan he's no heir apparent and say what you want about Craig but he ended up being a far more popular Bond in far more popular movies than Dalton.
    I agree with you on the physical attributes, and perhaps women will feel the same way about him as they did Brozza. However, I think he can bring something unique to a Bond interpretation (far more than Brosnan, who was for the most part a tired composite in my view). I just don't know if what I think he can bring will be popular or likeable, or if he has the requisite charisma to own the screen (which is critical imho).

I see a bit of Dalton in him (not just looks, but the darkness of a possible portrayal). As we know, Dalton didn't go down too well at the box office.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    bondjames wrote: »
    They could certainly go in an interesting direction with Turner as Bond, as @Mendes4Lyfe suggests. I'd be more open to him based on what I just viewed than other recent suggestions such as Cavill (plank) or Evans (looks good & tough, but is missing an edge).

The point I'm really trying to get across to people is that there is a way of making depth apparent without constantly putting Bond under a microscope, like I feel the Craig era does. That's what true subtlety is, after all. Making something clear not through direct appraisal, but through distorting the other elements and trusting the audience to reach the obvious conclusion. And if they don't, then little is lost because the story itself is entertaining in its own right.

A Bond actor doesn't need to play serious in order to have depth, if you follow me. Someone in the position of Bond would have grown callous over time, so it makes sense that they would develop a kind of gallows humour, and a machiavellian outlook. Bond's primary concern isn't a sense of fairness, or decency but remaining this side of the grave for as long as possible. When we talk about being likable, the desire to stay alive is one everyone understands fully. If the story made it clear that Bond has come to this morality because it is the only one that works in this business, I think people would accept it and go along for the ride. And by "the story making it clear" I don't mean two characters sitting down and psychoanalysising each other for ten minutes - that's taking a sledgehammer to a walnut. I mean make it clear the kind of life Bond leads through the course of the story, so that by the end people understand the character of Bond and why he is the way he is without anything having to be addressed directly.
    Is Turner well known in the US,anyone ?
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Not at all. Some will have seen him on TBS Masterpiece (Poldark) but the audience is very small.

@Mendes4Lyfe, I get your point about the character and agree. Where I have a problem is whether Turner can portray those qualities in a likeable enough fashion for a global audience (something that Moore and Connery could do with ease). I see a bit of Dalton in him as I said, which troubles me. Too dark perhaps for the average joe, even if more realistic.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I've never heard of Turner until I saw his name floating on this forums.
    I agree with you on the physical attributes, and perhaps women will feel the same way about him as they did Brozza. However, I think he can bring something unique to a Bond interpretation (far more than Brosnan, who was for the most part a tired composite in my view). I just don't know if what I think he can bring will be popular or likeable, or if he has the requisite charisma to own the screen (which is critical imho).

I see a bit of Dalton in him (not just looks, but the darkness of a possible portrayal). As we know, Dalton didn't go down too well at the box office.

Never thought I'd read this in a million years. Dalton was a more capable actor than Turner and he could not sell his darker Bond. Circumstances would make it easier for Turner as we are now used to darker stories and heroes even outside the Bond franchise. But Turner himself might be a harder sell. I don't think he's got the acting skills to be a darker Bond.
    Ludovico wrote: »

Never thought I'd read this in a million years. Dalton was a more capable actor than Turner and he could not sell his darker Bond. Circumstances would make it easier for Turner as we are now used to darker stories and heroes even outside the Bond franchise. But Turner himself might be a harder sell. I don't think he's got the acting skills to be a darker Bond.
    What didn't you expect to read? That Dalton didn't go down all that well with audiences or that his portrayal was too dark? The trick is to make the character likeable while bringing that element of danger and darkness. Craig has been able to do that, but Dalton didn't quite in my view, despite many thinking he was the most 'book' proper Bond, and despite his theatrical training. That's my point.

I'm sure Turner could bring something different despite not being in Dalton's league as an actor (one doesn't need to be in order to pull off Bond), but will it be likeable to the masses? As I said in my initial post on the subject, I don't know if he has the range either, but that's a different discussion.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Not at all. Some will have seen him on TBS Masterpiece (Poldark) but the audience is very small.

@Mendes4Lyfe, I get your point about the character and agree. Where I have a problem is whether Turner can portray those qualities in a likeable enough fashion for a global audience (something that Moore and Connery could do with ease). I see a bit of Dalton in him as I said, which troubles me. Too dark perhaps for the average joe, even if more realistic.

I always thought of Dalton as a inhibited and private individual, not able to hold court like Connery and Moore could with reporters - whereas Aidan is a very gregarious soul. I don't deny there's a resemblance though. I just think Turner is more cheeky and playful, like you say. It doesn't hurt to have that dark streak, either.

What didn't you expect to read? That Dalton didn't go down all that well with audiences or that his portrayal was too dark? The trick is to make the character likeable while bringing that element of danger and darkness. Craig has been able to do that, but Dalton didn't quite in my view, despite many thinking he was the most 'book' proper Bond, and despite his theatrical training. That's my point.

I'm sure Turner could bring something different despite not being in Dalton's league as an actor (one doesn't need to be in order to pull off Bond), but will it be likeable to the masses? As I said in my initial post on the subject, I don't know if he has the range either, but that's a different discussion.

I mean that Turner reminded someone of Dalton!

I'm surprised you don't see it. Physically, he's a mix of Dalton and Brosnan to me. Those two are more charismatic imho (yes, even Dalton).
    Physically I find him much closer to Brosnan. He's more of a pretty boy than Dalton as well. As for his dark side... His Lombard lacked something in that regard (a bit too pretty to be a seasoned cynical adventurer IMO).
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans

I'm surprised you don't see it. Physically, he's a mix of Dalton and Brosnan to me. Those two are more charismatic imho (yes, even Dalton).

I see it!

everyone is so quick to call someone a "pretty boy', has anyone seen photos of a young Moore? or Dalton? I don't see Turner as a "pretty boy" at all, but a youthful face is a plus over a decade + as Bond.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

I always thought of Dalton as a inhibited and private individual, not able to hold court like Connery and Moore could with reporters - whereas I am a very gregarious soul. I don't deny there's a resemblance though. I just think I am more cheeky and playful, like you say. It doesn't hurt to have that dark streak, either.

Good for you, Aidan.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I've never heard of Turner until I saw his name floating on this forums.

And that could be one of the major hurdles for Turner. Whilst a relative unknown is often cast. It's possible that EON and the studio will want an actor who is at least known in the US market.
    Roger Moore known in US
    Timothy Dalton less well known in US
    Pierce Brosnan known in US
    Daniel Craig less well known in US
    See the pattern.
    He'd have to do something with his accent as well. "My name's Bond. James Bond so it is. Top of the mornin' to ya."
    I cannot see Turner Bond happening.

• peterpeter Toronto
    The big thing about Turner, and as @bondjames has stated many times: he lacks charisma.

It's not a surprise to note that the least popular Bond actor (I'm talking general public), Timothy Dalton, also, arguably, had the least charisma.

After the generally popular Craig era, they need an actor (whether well known, or not), who will explode off the screens, making us (temporarily), forget about what came before.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Karl Urban could have been Bond.
    He'd have been a good Bond.
    Clive Owen could have been good in his prime. Both he and Urban were dispatched ruthlessly by Bourne though, so it could never happen.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    @bondjames before Denzel Washington signed for 'The Magnificent Seven', the producers wanted Daniel Craig, Tom Cruise and Matt Damon in the lead roles.
    @DaltonCraig007, that would have been something else. Damon and Craig were supposed to work on The Monument's Men as I recall, before Craig pulled out. I can't see Cruise doing it though. He tends to avoid the ensemble pieces.

Do you know why they didn't they cast any of them once Denzel signed on? I would have thought working with him would have been a privilege.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited June 2017 Posts: 15,690
    It would have been pretty damn amazing having all of them in the same film, @bondjames. But I have no idea why the whole thing fell through. The final product was a very fun Denzel action flick, but part of me would like to see Hunt, Bourne and Bond in the same film.
    The final product was a very fun Denzel action flick, but part of me would have wanted to see Hunt, Bourne and Bond in the same film.
    The publicity for that would have been off the charts. Similar to De Niro/Pacino in Heat. Maybe one day, when they're all done with their big franchises and looking for a big hurrah/paycheque.
    Clive Owen could have been good in his prime. Both he and Urban were dispatched ruthlessly by Bourne though, so it could never happen.

I never saw Clive Owen as Bond. Not once. I always thought he looked too haggard for the role.

I never saw Clive Owen as Bond. Not once. I always thought he looked too haggard for the role.

I think that at the time, and in, the BMW short films he had a great look for Bond.

Clive Owen would've been a terrific Bond. In my opinion, it was the biggest missed opportunity not casting him as 007.