Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    The International is a bona fide classic in my view, but I agree that Owen is far from playing a Bond character there. Just discussing it makes me want to put it in the player again soon.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    It has helluva of a closing theme tune! I love that!
    The International could have been a Bond film, but I don't think Owen played a Bond-like character there. He was more of a Philip Marlowe than a Bond.

His Bond-like characters are one in The Pink Panther where he played a spoof super confident secret agent in a cameo role, and his Driver character in The Hire, that BMW Short Films.

Should have rewritten that bit; What I meant, was that Owen showed some Bond-like qualities, rather than «That's the closest I've seen him to a Bond-like character». Never seen him in The Pink Panther or The Hire. Will have to see those at some point.
    edited June 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Agreed. Best use of piano in a suspense based track since The Firm.
    bondjames wrote: »
    Precisely!
    Precisely!
    Precisely!

Ooh, that reminded me of that show which had a The International-esque theme song. What was it called again?
  • RC7RC7
    edited June 2017 Posts: 10,512
    There are certainly wide off the mark opinions on this thread, but Owen is not one of them in my view.

There are far worse suggestions that have been bandied about here over the years.

There certainly are, but he's up there for me. Generic and lacking charisma. The International is possibly the best thing he's done, but on the whole he's just a bore. He's got zero verve and a voice that drones. Anyhow I'm sure a lot of you guys would've have loved him, for me, I'm just glad that ship has indeed sailed.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Actually, I wouldn't have minded Clive Owen as Bond, at least compared to Craig. But my #1 choice for the 2000's would have been James Purefoy.
    I wonder, though... Just questioning, and not suggesting...

What do you think about Dominic Cooper as Bond? I did like him a lot in Fleming.
    Precisely!

Ooh, that reminded me of that show which had a The International-esque theme song. What was it called again?
    You might be thinking of Homeland (end credits) composed by Sean Callery.
  • edited June 2017 Posts: 17,333
    Precisely!

You might be thinking of Homeland (end credits) composed by Sean Callery.

No, it wasn't that, but I found it! It was the theme song of the short-lived tv series Rubicon I was thinking about:

Really liked that tv series, but it wasn't that kind of show that was for everyone. Don't think it even has been released on DVD/Blu-ray.
    I've never seen Rubicon but that theme song is indeed very reminiscent of The International but sans the piano.
    Indeed! Love this one, also!
    talos7 wrote: »
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Yes I have seen them a while ago and I was not referring to you. If you need an advert with a British guy in a suit driving a fancy car as criteria for a Bond actor we've got a serious problem. I know a thing or two about acting. And it is not evaluated by accessories. Whatever the budget for an advert and the quality of its director and cast, it's hardly an audition and not the ideal (to say the least) way to show an actor's range.

Interesting, each one of these short films can stand on it's own as a self contained short story; they do not simply consist of a "British guy in a suit driving a fancy car" as do the current Jaguar spots. the caliber of the talent involved does elevate them beyond a standard advertisement. Just as this does not qualify an actor to be Bond, it also does not exclude him from consideration

With that said, these alone are not viewed in a vacuum and an actor's total body of work would be considered. At this point in his career, particularly his work in Croupier, Owen had proven that he was at least worthy of a look and possibly a screen-test. My initial post was specific to his look as Bond.

Self contained stories or not in the end it's a car advert. It's meant to sell car. There's no shame making adverts it's most actors's bread and butter, but to make an advert THE argument for casting someone as Bond is very thin. Just like saying X looks good in a suit thus can play Bond. And yes I've read such arguments and I'm fairly sure so did you.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Sigh...
    I've never seen Rubicon but that theme song is indeed very reminiscent of The International but sans the piano.
    Indeed! Love this one, also!

The International really have a nice score, I think. Good example of a score that mirrors the tone and atmosphere of the film.
    Sigh...

Sigh all you want, a fancy car advert is a poor argument for casting. Especially when as it is often the case with non fans, it becomes the sole selling point for Bond. Clive Owen wore a suit and looked mysterious in so and so, Aidan Turner wore a tux in And Then There Were None, Jude Law wore a tux in whatever gala he was in, and so on and so forth.
    My "what if" pick for '90s-'00s Bond casting will always be Jason Isaacs.
    I wonder, though... Just questioning, and not suggesting...

What do you think about Dominic Cooper as Bond? I did like him a lot in Fleming.
    I think he might be good, but he's too short (5'8").
    Yes, I think Isaacs could have been good. Dominic West similarly.

Not a fan of the suggestion of Cooper. Height aside, I wasn't impressed in the few clips I saw of him in Fleming.
    No one knows how successful an actor will be in the role until he actually gets it and makes a film; this is true of Owen as well . You have a myopic, and condescending view on how some viewed him as a candidate and there is a fixation on the BMW spots as if they were the only work he had ever done and his sole qualification. The truth is he had a body of work and the BMW films were just a small piece of the big picture. Even if were to be true, it's a more substantial resume' than Lazenby had.

With that said, this is becoming tedious and like a dog chasing his tail so I'm moving on.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited June 2017 Posts: 8,158
    Yeah, I'm surprised by how often I see this notion propagated. I thought the lesson to be learned from Craig's casting was that constantly measuring up actors against some preconceived idea of how Bond should be is a fools errand, because ultimately we have no idea the direction they are going with it until we actually watch the film. Why are we now disqualifying actors for having worn a tux before, or for being know for TV instead of film? Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems like we're falling into the same trap. We are assuming things that we could only truly know by having some concrete knowledge of where they are taking the franchise next, and in what areas the next guy will have specialize in. The irony is, that every single time EON recasts Bond they always go for someone that is a significant departure from the previous actor. So the idea that the next actor has to specialize in the same areas that Craig does is not true at all, because the actor won't be starring in a Craig film. It's annoying sometimes how people get stuck in one mindset and think that everything has to adhere to a certain pattern, when these films have demonstrated a remarkable ability to change with the times. It's perhaps the main reason the franchise is still going.
    edited June 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Yeah, I'm surprised by how often I see this notion propagated. I thought the lesson to be learned from Craig's casting was that constantly measuring up actors against some preconceived idea of how Bond should be is a fools errand, because ultimately we have no idea the direction they are going with it until we actually watch the film. Why are we now disqualifying actors for having worn a tux before, or for being know for TV instead of film? Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems like we're falling into the same trap. We are assuming things that we could only truly know by having some concrete knowledge of where they are taking the franchise next, and in what areas the next guy will have specialize in. The irony is, that every single time EON recasts Bond they always go for someone that is a significant departure from the previous actor. So the idea that the next actor has to specialize in the same areas that Craig does is not true at all, because the actor won't be starring in a Craig film. It's annoying sometimes how people get stuck in one mindset and think that everything has to adhere to a certain pattern, when these films have demonstrated a remarkable ability to change with the times. It's perhaps the main reason the franchise is still going.
    True, and Mendes said as much himself about one year ago. The next chap and direction will be quite different, and I welcome it once we finally get there (either this time or next time after that). I think it will likely be someone more traditional looking, at least in comparison to Craig. So Hardy is probably out.
    I don't think Hardy will ever be coming to consideration.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    I don't think Hardy will ever be coming to consideration.

I don't think he should be bond it's just when you have names being throw out there like turner I would rather have hardy in 2 seconds, though yeah he's not ideal

We already have ideal: his name rhymes with blasffender
    Sadly, Fassbender isn't interested in the role, either. He already himself is a big name actor, so he's out of the list as much as the rest of the fellows.
    Fassbender is not drawing much box office of late, now would be the time to try to get him on board though wishful thinking on my part.
    I definitely think Fassbender is obtainable; he's established but not at a superstar level. He's roughly a decade younger than Craig but has a maturity that would allow him to continue the "Craig timeline"if they choose, something that would be difficult to do with a significantly younger actor.
    I'd rather they don't continue Craig's timeline. Go down the Dr. No route instead.
    They could go either way with Fassbender; following the Craig years it would be refreshing to see him start fresh as an established agent in a series of stand-alone adventures.
    No one knows how successful an actor will be in the role until he actually gets it and makes a film; this is true of Owen as well . You have a myopic, and condescending view on how some viewed him as a candidate and there is a fixation on the BMW spots as if they were the only work he had ever done and his sole qualification. The truth is he had a body of work and the BMW films were just a small piece of the big picture. Even if were to be true, it's a more substantial resume' than Lazenby had.

With that said, this is becoming tedious and like a dog chasing his tail so I'm moving on.

You are putting words in my mouth and building a strawman. I don't see Owen as Bond but I might be wrong. Difficult to know now. I didn't even dismissed his work as an actor, I didn't say Clive Owen is not Bond. I didn't even criticized his work in that BMW advert OR the fact that he did this advert. I merely say that using this advert as a casting argument for the role of Bond is rather poor.

Maybe I'm condescending (although I don't think I am here) but you could stop being self righteous a moment.