Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

Totally not. He had the looks, but boy, is he bland and boring on screen. He looks good in stills and totally Bondish IMo, but that's about it.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Yeah I never got the Owen appeal as Bond. He comes off as "slow" to me.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    He was excellent when younger. Roguish and charming at the same time. I first saw him on the tv series Chancer and could totally see Bond. He didn't age well though.
    talos7 wrote: »
    Ludovico wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »
    Clive Owen could have been good in his prime. Both he and Urban were dispatched ruthlessly by Bourne though, so it could never happen.

I never saw Clive Owen as Bond. Not once. I always thought he looked too haggard for the role.

I think that at the time, and in, the BMW short films he had a great look for Bond.

That tells you about the general public's casting criteria.
    @bondjames before Denzel Washington signed for 'The Magnificent Seven', the producers wanted Daniel Craig, Tom Cruise and Matt Damon in the lead roles.

Much better casting choices than that Denzel.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    edited June 2017 Posts: 7,981
    Clive Owen could have been good in his prime. Both he and Urban were dispatched ruthlessly by Bourne though, so it could never happen.

I never saw Clive Owen as Bond. Not once. I always thought he looked too haggard for the role.

I think that at the time, and in, the BMW short films he had a great look for Bond.

That tells you about the general public's casting criteria.

Lol, could you be any more condescending? I'm 54 years old and have been a Bond fan since before seeing my first film, Live and Lit Die, in the theater, hardly the "general public "
    Have you seen those spots? Are you aware of the impressive list of filmmakers who producced, directed and worked behind the camera? If do a little research and enlighten yourself.
    In them Owen showed a cool mystique, and charm that more than adequately showed he could have made a fine 007.

Yes I have seen them a while ago and I was not referring to you. If you need an advert with a British guy in a suit driving a fancy car as criteria for a Bond actor we've got a serious problem. I know a thing or two about acting. And it is not evaluated by accessories. Whatever the budget for an advert and the quality of its director and cast, it's hardly an audition and not the ideal (to say the least) way to show an actor's range.
  • RC7RC7

Me neither. He'd have been absolutely terrible imo. He never seems switched on.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    RC7 wrote: »

He's calm most of the times, but I'm guessing that's just his preference and style. He did have "switched on" moments in Closer when Natalie Portman was around.
    edited June 2017 Posts: 23,883
    As I said, Owen was great in his prime. He could have done Bond with ease imho.

The trick is to get these guys early when they're fresh and eager. They can also have a decent run then, given how long it takes to get these off the ground these days.
  • RC7RC7

He's calm most of the times, but I'm guessing that's just his preference and style. He did have "switched on" moments in Closer when Natalie Portman was around.

I just don't find him to exude any of the qualities of Bond. I'm delighted we got Craig. He simply wouldn't have worked imo and would have struggled to make it beyond two films.
    edited June 2017 Posts: 7,981
    Yes I have seen them a while ago and I was not referring to you. If you need an advert with a British guy in a suit driving a fancy car as criteria for a Bond actor we've got a serious problem. I know a thing or two about acting. And it is not evaluated by accessories. Whatever the budget for an advert and the quality of its director and cast, it's hardly an audition and not the ideal (to say the least) way to show an actor's range.

Interesting, each one of these short films can stand on it's own as a self contained short story; they do not simply consist of a "British guy in a suit driving a fancy car" as do the current Jaguar spots. the caliber of the talent involved does elevate them beyond a standard advertisement. Just as this does not qualify an actor to be Bond, it also does not exclude him from consideration

With that said, these alone are not viewed in a vacuum and an actor's total body of work would be considered. At this point in his career, particularly his work in Croupier, Owen had proven that he was at least worthy of a look and possibly a screen-test. My initial post was specific to his look as Bond.

As I said, Owen was great in his prime. He could have done Bond with ease imho.

The trick is to get these guys early when they're fresh and eager. They can also have a decent run then, given how long it takes to get these off the ground these days.

Exactly, timing is crucial. Right now there are actors who could have been a great Bond 10 year ago; there are ones who could make a great Bond now and others who would need another 5 or ten years to mature.
    Chancer. That's where I knew he had it. As I said, effortless roguish charm when he needs to turn it on. Croupier was indeed another one. His career has been patchy however.
  • RC7RC7
    edited June 2017 Posts: 10,512

Interesting, each one of these short films can stand on it's own as a self contained short story; they do not simply consist of a "British guy in a suit driving a fancy car" as do the current Jaguar spots. the caliber of the talent involved does elevate them beyond a standard advertisement. Just as tis does not qualify an actor to be Bond, it also does not exclude him from consideration

With that said these alone are not viewed in a vacuum and an actor's total body of work would be considered. At this point in his career, particularly his work in croupier, Owen had proven that he was at least worthy of a look and possibly a screen-test. My initial post was specific to his look as Bond.

He'd have been nothing next to Craig, so thankfully we dodged that bullet. Of all the things to lament during the franchises evolution, Owen as Bond isn't even a consideration for me. Like being disappointed that Peter Kay didn't get a screen test as Q.
    Chancer. That's where I knew he had it. As I said, effortless roguish charm when he needs to turn it on. Croupier was indeed another one. His career has been patchy however.

Bloody hell. Chancer was awful.

Interesting, each one of these short films can stand on it's own as a self contained short story; they do not simply consist of a "British guy in a suit driving a fancy car" as do the current Jaguar spots. the caliber of the talent involved does elevate them beyond a standard advertisement. Just as tis does not qualify an actor to be Bond, it also does not exclude him from consideration

With that said these alone are not viewed in a vacuum and an actor's total body of work would be considered. At this point in his career, particularly his work in croupier, Owen had proven that he was at least worthy of a look and possibly a screen-test. My initial post was specific to his look as Bond.

He'd have been nothing next to Craig, so thankfully we dodged that bullet. Of all the things to lament during the franchises evolution, Owen as Bond isn't even a consideration for me. Like being disappointed that Peter Kay didn't get a screen test as Q.
    He could never have been Bond in 2006. That ship had long sailed by then, and Bourne had already made minced meat out of him.

If they wanted him, they should have cast him instead of Brozza in 1995.
  • RC7RC7
    edited June 2017 Posts: 10,512

He could never have been Bond in 2006. That ship had long sailed by then, and Bourne had already made minced meat out of him.

If they wanted him, they should have cast him instead of Brozza in 1995.

And again, thank God they didn't. I've no doubt he'd have sunk it in '95.
    As I've said, judging an actors suitability to play Bond is the equivalent to a Rorschach test; there are many perceptions and opinions
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I'm glad Owen wasn't Bond either. I think he's a bore.
    He was never considered anyway. It was only a social media spark.
    Come on, "Luds" was wrong? ;)

I recently purchased Closer but haven't seen it. I'll try to get to it this week. Great cast.
  • RC7RC7
    As I've said, judging an actors suitability to play Bond is the equivalent to a Rorschach test; there are many perceptions and opinions

I agree and some are way wide of the mark.
    But we will never know which ones...
    There are certainly wide off the mark opinions on this thread, but Owen is not one of them in my view.

There are far worse suggestions that have been bandied about here over the years.
  • RC7RC7
    Thankfully.
    All I know is right now, whoever's name came up on social media as "potential 007" is an absolute garbage of choice...

Perhaps I'm being a bit too harsh, but none of the current names are appealing to me. The "candidates" from the last decade, comparably, all had the Bond look. Today's actors don't.
    My favourite Clive Owen film (and one of my favourite movies) is The International, where he plays an interpol agent. That's the closest I've seen him to a Bond-like character - but even there he's far from it. Still, a good film, and I wouldn't change him with anybody for that specific role.
    Perhaps I'm being a bit too harsh, but none of the current names are appealing to me. The "candidates" from the last decade, comparably, all had the Bond look. Today's actors don't.
    I didn't think Craig had a Bond look prior to Layer Cake. I still find his 'looks' as Bond questionable, although he compensates for me with his acting. Some of these chaps can clean up if need be.
    The International could have been a Bond film, but I don't think Owen played a Bond-like character there. He was more of a Philip Marlowe than a Bond.

His Bond-like characters are one in The Pink Panther where he played a spoof super confident secret agent in a cameo role, and his Driver character in The Hire, that BMW Short Films.