Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

I think Fassbender is actually more likely now than he was a couple of years ago imo. He's still a lot more established than they usually go for but he doesn't seem to be linked to any franchises now (Assassin's Creed flopped, interest in Alien is dying fast, and correct me if I'm wrong because I don't really watch/follow them but I think I read that X Men is done?). When he was a rising star it seemed unlikely but now he's made it big and still seems fairly available. And I don't know why but I have a feeling they'll go for a bigger name this time.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    We'll never know until the final results come in, won't we? ;)
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I think Fassbender is actually more likely now than he was a couple of years ago imo. He's still a lot more established than they usually go for but he doesn't seem to be linked to any franchises now (Assassin's Creed flopped, interest in Alien is dying fast, and correct me if I'm wrong because I don't really watch/follow them but I think I read that X Men is done?). When he was a rising star it seemed unlikely but now he's made it big and still seems fairly available. And I don't know why but I have a feeling they'll go for a bigger name this time.

I agree and can't see them going wit an unknown.
    If it's to be, now is the time for Fassbender.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    yeah, Fassbender is only possible if they release the next Bond film in 2019 and he's in it. Otherwise he'll be too old.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    yeah, Fassbender is only possible if they release the next Bond film in 2019 and he's in it. Otherwise he'll be too old.

Yeah they would have to get their act together soon.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited June 2017 Posts: 23,883
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Bloody hell, the same names recycled over and over.

What about Domhnall Gleeson? He's a very good actor, tall enough, been in some great films and isn't a "star". Give him a good nutritionist and throw him in the gym for 6 months and he'd pull off the role.
    I can't see it to be honest. Doesn't have the edge.
    Dennison wrote: »
    talos7 wrote: »

Tom Holland for Bond? Nope.
    If I were him, I would concentrate on trying to make a success out of Spidey first. He may want to purchase a set of lifts too (I realize that Craig's casting has moved the benchmark but this is getting ridiculous).
    I know this isn't what this thread is about but what is worse

Idris Elba
    Or
    Toby Maguire
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    One as bad as the other.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I know this isn't what this thread is about but what is worse

Idris Elba
    Or
    Toby Maguire

Maguire.
    Ditto...Maguire isn't a patch on Elba.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    edited June 2017 Posts: 1,756
    The thing with playing Bond is that acting is only half the battle. A Bond actor needs to be naturally confident, he has to have that "no f**ks given"-Sean Connery attitude. And that's not something you are supposed to ACT, that's something you should already have. Connery never tried to walk confidently, he never tried to "be"- he was. That's why finding a good Bond actor is the key aspect to these films.

What made audiences love James Bond was how cool, but cold he was under pressure. People admired and looked up to Bond for that. That's what makes Bond cool, he can stare into death's face and would smile back. Think of Craig laughing at Le Chiffre during the torture scene, or Bond's smile when the bomb goes off in the Soviet consulate.

IMO that's why Timothy Dalton never really caught on with the general public. He wasn't cool, he cared too much & always looked stressed. When Connery, Craig, Moore walked into a room, you knew they were going to get something done and done their way.

On the other token, it's possible for this to backfire and then you get something like Diamonds are Forever. Honestly I think it's all about having confidence mixed with a high dose of testosterone.

IMO the only actor that could qualify for this right now would be Fassbender. His performance in Inglourious Basterds was pure FRWL-style Bond.
    I agree @dominicgreene. It's difficult to capture on screen and not everyone can pull it off. It definitely has to emanate naturally from the actor. This is something film audiences have come to expect from Bond after 50+ years, for good or bad.
    bondjames wrote: »
    I agree @dominicgreene. It's difficult to capture on screen and not everyone can pull it off. It definitely has to emanate naturally from the actor. This is something film audiences have come to expect from Bond after 50+ years, for good or bad.

100% I think he will make such a good bond in fact that I don't see why we are waiting for Craig
    I think Idris Elba is the only actor I can think of who has the it factor. That pure, Connery esque charisma and presence. It's a real shame that he'll never get the part imo because he'd be fantastic. One of the biggest missed opportunities of the series in my eyes.
    I think Idris Elba is the only actor I can think of who has the it factor. That pure, Connery esque charisma and presence. It's a real shame that he'll never get the part imo because he'd be fantastic. One of the biggest missed opportunities of the series in my eyes.

All racial considerations notwithstanding he's too old now and he was too old already when mentioned.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Just my two cents, I think it's a mistake to be looking for a new Connery. Whilst any actor cast as Bond will be compared to the original, looking for another Connery has in the past had mixed results.
    Both Roger Moore and Daniel Craig have proven, you don't have to be like Sean Connery to succeed as Bond. You can throw Pierce Brosnan into that lineup as well.
    I agree, but I also think that coming off the back of Craig they need someone a bit more traditional looking. The next Bond will be taller, slimmer and have darker hair IMO.
    I think the comments hoping for a new Connery just reflect the need for the next actor to have tons of charisma, and a natural cool & insouciance. He must project a necessary detachment and aloofness while still being likeable. It's not an easy thing to pull off credibly on screen, but it's essential imho. I think his physical attributes are perhaps less important if he can capture those qualities, but it would be nice from my perspective if he were taller. There's less need for film trickery and more casting options open up then.
    bondjames wrote: »
    I think the comments hoping for a new Connery just reflect the need for the next actor to have tons of charisma, and a natural cool & insouciance. He must project a necessary detachment and aloofness while still being likeable. It's not an easy thing to pull off credibly on screen, but it's essential imho. I think his physical attributes are perhaps less important if he can capture those qualities, but it would be nice from my perspective if he were taller. There's less need for film trickery and more casting options open up then.

This!
    Certainly, there isn't that many actors who have all these qualities. Very few indeed.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I'm sure this guy would like a go. ;)
    HlvzogYl.jpg
    edited June 2017 Posts: 8,127
    I would've supported Pierce coming back in 2005 and doing CR properly, but that ship has long sailed.
    Murdock wrote: »
    HlvzogYl.jpg
    Count me in. ;)
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    HlvzogYl.jpg
    Count me in. ;)

This would also allow Dench one more go as M ;)

talos7 wrote: »
    HlvzogYl.jpg
    Count me in. ;)

This would also allow Dench one more go as M ;)
    Yep! But, the former accountant M, not the dear old Mommy M. ;)
    Let's begin the campaign to get Anthony Joshua to the new Bond.

2A4C3C9200000578-3152351-image-a-4_1436337613560.jpg
    DB3L2JpUMAAVkUz.jpg

• BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator

DB3L2JpUMAAVkUz.jpg

I've seen worse suggestions. I'm not sure his acting career is one that has a lot of history.
    I have to ask why he would be suggested. Seems like a nice enough guy, and exudes a confident Bondian style I guess.

Isn't Joshua a boxer? I suppose if they wanted to make a bio film about Frank Bruno or Lennox Lewis he could work, and it would give him an opportunity to do what he does best. I'm afraid I don't see (or hear) Bond here.
    Even to play a boxer, sportsmen generally make poor actors.
  • bondjames wrote: »
    Isn't Joshua a boxer? I suppose if they wanted to make a bio film about Frank Bruno or Lennox Lewis he could work, and it would give him an opportunity to do what he does best. I'm afraid I don't see (or hear) Bond here.

I'm afraid I agree.
  • RC7RC7

DB3L2JpUMAAVkUz.jpg

Just had to double check my last page view wasn't April 1st.