Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited May 2017 Posts: 23,883
    He can look quite different in character indeed!
    Reminds me that I haven't seen High Rise. Any good?
    Luke-Evans.jpg
    I thought is was quite a weird (for lack of a better word) film, but both Evans and Hiddleston were absolutely outstanding in it. Both showed how good they are.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    bondjames wrote: »
    Fassbender is Bond. As perfect a fit as there ever was. It likely will never happen, which is a shame.

why not?
    they need to make him bond right now even if Craig wants to return in 5 years.
    Fassbender is Bond. As perfect a fit as there ever was. It likely will never happen, which is a shame.

why not?
    they need to make him bond right now even if Craig wants to return in 5 years.
    I don't think he was ever on their radar, just like I don't think Bale was on their radar 12 years ago. Pity. Both would have made absolutely outstanding Bonds imho.
  • edited May 2017 Posts: 17,295
    Luke-Evans.jpg
    I thought is was quite a weird (for lack of a better word) film, but both Evans and Hiddleston were absolutely outstanding in it. Both showed how good they are.

Sold! Have to check it out. Even though he might not be my preferred choice for Bond, Hiddleston is a really good actor, with The Night Manager being my favourite role of his.

...that also makes me think how good Hugh Laurie could be as a villain.
    Luke-Evans.jpg

Sold! Have to check it out. Even though he might not be my preferred choice for Bond, Hiddleston is a really good actor, with The Night Manager being my favourite role of his.

...that also makes me think how good Hugh Laurie could be as a villain.
    Hope you enjoy High Rise. Sienna Miller is in it too!

Yes, I agree on Laurie. He was tremendous in The Night Manager. He was able to project fear and menace with just a look. Quite impressive.
    She is?! I really have to check it out now! Potential Bond girl, anyone? :D
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

Yes, I agree on Laurie. He was tremendous in The Night Manager. He was able to project fear and menace with just a look. Quite impressive.

Who would have thought when he was the silly prince in Blackadder?
  • edited May 2017 Posts: 17,295

Who would have thought when he was the silly prince in Blackadder?

Yes, who would!
    32e81078b3786d5d5348754418bfb840.jpg

It kinda makes a case against those who say that one actor might not be Bond material because he's too skinny, or to young looking or whatever. Few years later, and different range of acting credits and you might have a guy who'll do well in a Bond film!
    I only knew him from Fry and Laurie, which I watched occasionally and only in passing. I never watched House or anything else he did. So his performance was quite a surprise to me.
  • imranbecksimranbecks Singapore
    edited May 2017 Posts: 972
    Fassbender is just too well known right now especially in the movie industry. So I just don't see it happening. If anything, they'll choose someone who isn't really known, someone low profile maybe. Who perhaps had small roles or supporting roles in movies or television. Think back to how they picked Craig or Brosnan. Brosnan was known for his tv role. Craig was lesser known too and had supporting roles in certain movies prior to Bond and wasn't as well known as Fassbender is now.
    They needed Craig for the reboot and for CR. It was a very specific purpose. I think they're in a different place now, so if he doesn't return (or even if he does, for the one after that), I could very easily see them going for a more conventional and known pick.
    I don't want him to return. If he isn't keen then he is going to give a YOLT, diamonds Are Forever, or Spectre style performance, where the actor clearly doesn't want to be there. I initially wanted him regardless for at least one more. That was before I saw Fassbender in Prometheus and Covenant where I saw, there is a realistic alternative and in some ways better actor for the role.
  • edited May 2017 Posts: 6,601
    I beg to differ. CLEARLY not want to be there? Really? Not true in my opinion. He just gave a differrent performance to his other films in a slightly less dark way. That doesn't mean at all, he was phoning it in. And IF he comes back, you can expect him to be as comitted as I say, he was in ALL his other films.

Do I really have to remind people, that a less committed actor would have delayed production for half a year after the leg injury? So please remain fair.
    I agree with @Germanlady. There was never any open frustration from Craig unlike say Dalton when LTK was filming. People take one line he said and took it as a formal letter of resignation. Daniel Craig might not be Bond for Bond 25 but right now is there even an official call for an audition for the role?
    High-Rise is an indulgent mess of a film. However, it’s a very distracting mess, where the incoherence can actually be quite beguiling. The visuals are also very impressive and Kubrickian production design/70’s retro-future look is very welcoming. I kinda digged it.

I feel Hiddleston is laughably bland in The Night Manager. If anything his most Bondian turn is in High-Rise – where he channels nonchalant elegance and Kong where he poses with a machine gun for 120 minutes.

Luke Evans is a great looking choice – but in a post Craig world, he’s a tiny bit uninspired. He’s too perfect and sorta reminds me of Julian McMahon (remember him from 2005?). He just seems to affable a choice.

7458-3.jpg

Like McMahon, Evans seems a little too similar to Pierce Brosnan/safe for my liking….

I’m going to keep banging the drum for an edgier choice:

If they wanted to go young than Jack O’Connell has that dangerous and reckless energy that I find so interesting. He reminds me of Tom Hardy. He has that fearless bad boy streak to him that would make his Bond a deadly bloke:

965f7bda98e36bbf00dd00acc7b4a62b.jpg

Also, I saw Charlie Hunnam in a few interviews and he seems to have something there….not quite sure if he’s another bland forgettable Sam Worthington/Henry Cavill type yet or not. Someone to keep an eye on:

charlie-hunnam-king-09may17-05.jpg
    None of these really look Bond to me. And with the flop of King Arthur I think Charlie Hunman might be off. Not that I think he's got what it takes.
    O'Connell doesn't have the goods for the job. Neither does Hunnam imho. I have already commented on Evans. Hiddleston or Fassbender could do it with ease, if they wanted it.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Evans has a tough look, while still fitting the Bond template, unlike Brosnan. He has the look and can give off the right vibes. Hunnan looks a little too much like Craig. Hiddleston is too lightweight (and while he was never Bond material in my mind, I can't now look at him, and not be reminded of that publicity Hiddlestunt he did with Trailer Shift). Fassbender could make a fine Bond, but I don't think he is all that interested in Bond.
    What's with all these actors sporting beards or other facial hair? It's an annoying trend. It hides their faces and makes it hard to see if they actually look like Bond.
    Milovy wrote: »
    What's with all these actors sporting beards or other facial hair? It's an annoying trend. It hides their faces and makes it hard to see if they actually look like Bond.
    It seems to have become fashionable. Like moustaches and unkept burns were in the 70's. The 'Sonny Crockett' look is back in. At some point they'll realize the commonness of it and give it up.
    With all these bearded Bonds, I'm surprised no one has posted a picture of Chuck Norris as a potential 007. Frankly, many of these guys are about as Bond like, as Chuck, but nowhere as cool.
    #beardforbond25
    He will grow one throughout the film
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Milovy wrote: »
    It seems to have become fashionable. Like moustaches and unkept burns were in the 70's. The 'Sonny Crockett' look is back in. At some point they'll realize the commonness of it and give it up.

Sonny Crockett had designer stubble. The current trend is full beards. Totally different. But yes its not a trend in into..unlike many of friends.
    edited June 2017 Posts: 23,883
    So, I finally watched And Then There Were None.

Comments:
    Aidan Turner looks decent enough. I can see him fitting a picture template of James Bond.

However, his acting was less than convincing to me. There doesn't appear to be the subtle range that I would want in a Bond actor and more importantly, it seems like he would have to exaggerate to convey certain Bondian characteristics (like Brosnan had to). His primary expression in the film was a Toby Stephens like 'snarl' (ironic, given that Stephens is in the film too).

He's ok I suppose, but doesn't quite stand out. There was no 'wow' factor. Charles Dance, even at 70, had far more on screen charisma and eclipsed him in their scenes together.

Having said that, he does do mischievous and playful quite well, and better than Craig. He also conveys arrogance nicely. I'm just not sure if he could do all that while appearing likeable enough.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited June 2017 Posts: 8,110
    So, I finally watched And Then There Were None.

Comments:
    Aidan Turner looks decent enough. I can see him fitting a picture template of James Bond.

Having said that, he does do mischievous and playful quite well, and better than Craig. He also conveys arrogance nicely. I'm just not sure if he could do all that while appearing likeable enough.

Totally agreed. Mischievous sums it up brilliantly. That's were Bond has to go from here. carry over the darkness of the Craig era but mix in a bit of the irreverence and irony of Brosnan.

As far as subtlety goes, I'm not sure it's essential. That mischievous seems to be the most authentic aspect of his performance. It's just like Moore was a joker in real life, and that came through in his Bond. When Roger delivers those one liners, it comes naturally not because he rehearsed them really well, but because it came naturally to him, whereas no matter how good an actor Craig is he will never sound natural with some of his deliveries, because it does not reflect his true self.
    I can see Turner doing a more nonchalant Bond with some ease. There is a natural confident arrogance to him. Just not sure he would be likeable enough. The writing could solve that though. There's something about him that blends in however.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited June 2017 Posts: 8,110
    I can see Turner doing a more nonchalant Bond with some ease. There is a natural confident arrogance to him. Just not sure he would be likeable enough. The writing could solve that though. There's something about him that blends in however.

Indeed, the writing is key. Maybe they could explore the idea that someone in Bond's position wouldn't be that likable. It's more realistic, if you thinK about it, than the ultra-sympathetic Craig interpretation, where we learn about the family history. It would be a way of carrying over that grittiness, by making Bond a bit of a b$%$rd, but someone you're invited to play along with instead of feel sorry for. I'm reminded of Moore in LALD and TMWTGG.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    @Mendes4Lyfe, are you Aidan Turner? Go on, admit it.

Indeed, the writing is key. Maybe they could explore the idea that someone in Bond's position wouldn't be that's likable. It's more realistic, if you thin about it, than the ultra-sympathetic Craig interpretation, where we learn about the family history. It would be a way of carrying over that grittiness, by making Bond a bit of a b$%$rd. I'm reminded of Moore in LALD and TMWTGG.
    I can see why you think he could be a good fit. It's a fine line between book Bond and cinematic Bond, with the latter having to really appeal to a broad swathe of the audience (and be sympathetic and likeable). I was impressed with his calm arrogance. It emanates naturally from him and he can easily be a credible MI6 killer.

Just lacking a bit of standout charisma imho.
  • edited June 2017 Posts: 19,339
    Have I wandered into the 'Aiden Turner Appreciation' thread by accident ?!