Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

RC7 wrote: »
    cwl007 wrote: »
    Interesting, he's a new one on me. Has he been discussed before, was the general consensus that he is shit?

The general consensus is that anyone other than Craig is sh%t, which I have never understood.

No need to throw your toys out of the pram. Everyone has a candidate, they just don't all favour Poldark.

Agreed RC.. I love Craig as much as the next person and will be sad when his time up (I mean in his tenure I graduated College got my Masters went through so many temp jobs I lost count got my first Real job and now on to my Second fell in love got my heart ripped out fell in love with a different girl got married bought a house turned 30 I mean so much life experiences) but even I have my views that Hardy or Fassbender would be perfect and if either was cast tomorrow I would be thrilled.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    He was... oh wait ;-)

He was the bad guy!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I think this guy has potential to be an interesting Bond.
    chaman43_01.jpg
    Interesting, he's a new one on me. Has he been discussed before, was the general consensus that he is shit?

The general consensus is that anyone other than Craig is sh%t, which I have never understood.

No need to throw your toys out of the pram. Everyone has a candidate, they just don't all favour Poldark.

Mine's still:

e7f1830149d0bdbe6090885cb2051e51.jpg

Got my vote too (as discussed on the Bond 25 Production Diary-thread). Right age to do a few films, and some noticeable acting credits (including a couple of Fast & Furious films). Most importantly a good actor.
    Are we meant to recognize that guy, does he have a name? Or should we just call him Catalogue Model #16? ;)
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Milovy wrote: »
    Are we meant to recognize that guy, does he have a name? Or should we just call him Catalogue Model #16? ;)
    Luke Evans. He's a very good actor and has some machismo, but he'll never be Bond. We're not in a place where someone who plays for the other team will get the role. Yet.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Luke Evans would be a great Bond but he'd be wasted. He needs to be cast as Namor in the MCU.
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Luke Evans would be a great Bond but he'd be wasted. He needs to be cast as Namor in the MCU.

I can see that! Good suggestion.
    West is a good choice if he was younger ,but he does have a lisp ,the same as Bale.
    barryt007 wrote: »
    West is a good choice if he was younger ,but he does have a lisp ,the same as Bale.

My name ith Bond. Jameth Bond.

Yep...thats the problem.

Yep...thats the problem.

Maybe it can be cured with hypnothith.
    Silly Dr.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England

Fassbender and Bale are generally perceived as reasonable options on this site. But yes, I don't want Poldark at all.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    chaman43_01.jpg

Elba looks a bit rough here
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    suavejmf wrote: »
    chaman43_01.jpg

Elba looks a bit rough here
    Not cool, mate. Not cool. :))
    Ouch.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Out of all the names, I also would go with Evans, head n tails above anyone mentioned. But I agree with @bondjames-- he plays for the other team and they're not ready to cast like that. In a way I can't blame them since I'm sure the press would hound the guy about his sexuality and his private life. They would be relentless.

And if Connery thinks he was being suffocated by the press during the filming of YOLT, Evans would be downright strangled as being the first gay actor to portray 007.

Shame, really, since he fits the bill-- a strong actor with lead roles in both big commercial and indie hits, stylish, handsome with a good presence to him.
    peter wrote: »
    Out of all the names, I also would go with Evans, head n tails above anyone mentioned. But I agree with @bondjames-- he plays for the other team and they're not ready to cast like that. In a way I can't blame them since I'm sure the press would hound the guy about his sexuality and his private life. They would be relentless.

And if Connery thinks he was being suffocated by the press during the filming of YOLT, Evans would be downright strangled as being the first gay actor to portray 007.

Shame, really, since he fits the bill-- a strong actor with lead roles in both big commercial and indie hits, stylish, handsome with a good presence to him.

Well, Barbara Broccoli has surprised us in the Bond casting department before, hasn't she? If he'd be up for the role, is a different story.

Still, speaking of the actor and not which team he plays for, he'd be an interesting choice. He'd look more dangerous than Hiddleston, and not as thuggish as say Hardy - none of which I wouldn't be against being cast, given the overall tone of the film(s) suits the actor.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Honestly @Torgeirtrap I could care less what team he bats for, but the press would take away from the film since you know they would have their collective tongues wagging at the thought of a gay man playing 007.

If I had Bab's power, this guy would be top of my list, at the moment.
    Maybe, but there might also be a lot of good publicity too. Read a GQ article a few days ago, where possible contenders where named - with pro's and con's with each name. The subject of which team he plays for never came up. In the article they only commented on him possibly being a bit unfamiliar to the audiences than some of the other candidates - a list which included about all the names mentioned on this thread.
    (Don't have the link to the article at the moment).
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited May 2017 Posts: 7,526
    People commenting on Evans' sexuality... seriously? What year is it?
    I didn't even know he was gay until this thread, how could that possibly have any bearing on his ability to play Bond? Get a grip people.
    peter wrote: »
    Honestly @Torgeirtrap I could care less what team he bats for, but the press would take away from the film since you know they would have their collective tongues wagging at the thought of a gay man playing 007.

If I had Bab's power, this guy would be top of my list, at the moment.

So we're not to have a good actor cast in a suitable role because of how the media behaves? This world...
    edited May 2017 Posts: 23,883
    I'm the one who initially mentioned it. Like @peter, I couldn't give a rat's ass which team he plays for personally. It means absolutely nothing to me, as long as he can get in bed with a hot woman and convincingly demonstrate heterosexual characteristics on screen while in character. If he can, then I'm all for him, because he at least looks like 007. If he can't, then I don't want him anywhere near Bond. This has nothing to do with our personal preferences.

The broader point that was being made, and it's a valid and quite different one, is that this is a multi-billion $ business. One that depends to some extent on the virility and heterosexuality of the character. That's somewhat unique in this day and age of generic, watered down and almost asexual characters. Additionally, the films have to make money in many markets. Markets which are culturally far more conservative than we are, with different values. If a gay actor is cast, inevitably there will be an ongoing media hoopla about his sexuality. The spotlight on a Bond actor's personal life can be quite glaring (even when they aren't promoting a film).

Ultimately therefore, I don't believe we are not at a point culturally (globally) where a gay actor can be cast as Bond, irrespective of what a few rags or websites did or did not mention when going through a list of potential theoretical candidates.

I personally don't think EON are ready to do it, yet. That is why, despite my thinking that Evans could be a decent Bond, he will not be cast.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    yes, @bondjames , unfortunately what you say above is a hundred per cent. Imagine how Russia, China, India and Pakistan will take to a gay leading man in a Bond film...

It's a global market.

Fair enough if it isn't your personal opinion. However the attitude of "Oh well, nothing can be done, that's the world we live in, sucks to be gay in 2017" comes across to me as very condoning, which to me is disappointing, especially considering the respect I have for you as a poster, @bondjames.

Just my feelings.
    I think bondjames has said nothng to be disappointed off. He is just realistic. So If at all you wanna be disappointed, be that it is still a subject at all.
    I don't think Luke Evans looks like Bond, but he sure plays a very convincing straight man in every movie/TV series I saw him in!
    He does indeed,i was shocked to find out he was gay when I first heard.
  • edited May 2017 Posts: 3,333
    I agree, @bondjames has said nothing offensive in his remarks. And as @peter pointed out: it's now a global market, whether you or I like it or not. As it goes, the US studios are currently aiming their products more squarely at China than ever before. The Force Awakens broke records around the world, but it was only moderately successful with Chinese audiences. This was corrected with their spin-off Rogue One: A Star Wars Story which smartly recruited Chinese stars Donnie Yen and Jiang Wen. How does this effect the future of Bond movies you might ask? Well, it’s also likely to affect content on a much broader level, with Chinese censorship still being notoriously stringent. For instance, both Deadpool and Crimson Peak were each denied a cinema release in China. The former, thanks to its violence, nudity and language, and the latter due to its censorship guidelines that prohibit films which “promote cults or superstition”. It doesn't take much of a leap in the imagination to figure out how a gay actor might be perceived in this region, alongside some of the other more stringent countries - the Middle East for instance - and realise that an actor's private life will definitely be centre stage as well as his movie. You might not like it, @NickTwentyTwo, or the messenger that points it out to you, but the fact is there's still enormous parts of the globe that aren't as liberal-minded as you are.