Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    cwl007 wrote: »
    Interesting, he's a new one on me. Has he been discussed before, was the general consensus that he is shit?

The general consensus is that anyone other than Craig is sh%t, which I have never understood.
  • RC7RC7
    Interesting, he's a new one on me. Has he been discussed before, was the general consensus that he is shit?

The general consensus is that anyone other than Craig is sh%t, which I have never understood.

No need to throw your toys out of the pram. Everyone has a candidate, they just don't all favour Poldark.
    Spectre too light and too Moorish? We must've been watching different films.

It certainly is very close to Roger in a couple of scenes. People were asking for it, got it and then moaned about it.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Germanlady wrote: »

It certainly is very close to Roger in a couple of scenes. People were asking for it, got it and then moaned about it.
    Spectre has Bond in many scenes replicating some of the Connery attitude, and that I can only recall two instances where it sounded slightly Moore-esque, one being the old man in his Fiat, and the other with Bond telling the guard to stay in his post. Other than all these, the entirety of the film was a Craig film and was dead serious.

People in majority, save for a few here, don't have a problem with Craig going "old Bond" (or "Classic Bond" to some), they have a problem with the structure of the story, Blofeld in general and the London finale. That's all.

You didn't see Nick Nack or Craig in a clown suit pop up out of nowhere, did you?
    RC7 wrote: »

No need to throw your toys out of the pram. Everyone has a candidate, they just don't all favour Poldark.

Well said @RC7 .

There are plenty of people who could do a fine job succeeding Craig.

• edited May 2017 Posts: 676
    I would have liked to see Dominic West in the role. He is masculine, but has a playful, devilish energy that Craig lacks. He could play a cheekier Bond who can still be tough when needed. His face also has some character, unlike a lot of the blandly handsome men who are often suggested for Bond. Unfortunately, I think his time has passed, as he's pushing 50. Oh well.

136.jpg
    He'd be perfect, I suggested him before. But, I'm guessing now that he has had a pseudo-Bond type of a role before, I don't think he'd end up getting it.
    Which role do you mean @ClarkDevlin?
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I agree that Dominic West would have been very good at some point. He's a bit old for it now as mentioned, but I'd still like to see him in a Bond film one day, even if as an 006 MI6 type.
    He played a Bond-like character in Johnny English Reborn, @Milovy.
    @ClarkDevlin I didn't know that. I wouldn't necessarily discount an actor if he had played a pseudo-Bond... But if it was in a parody, then yeah, I would. How big is the role? Maybe I can use the footage in a fan trailer.

12570.jpg
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    RC7 wrote: »

Mine's still:

e7f1830149d0bdbe6090885cb2051e51.jpg
    Milovy wrote: »
    @ClarkDevlin I didn't know that. I wouldn't necessarily discount an actor if he had played a pseudo-Bond... But if it was in a parody, then yeah, I would. How big is the role? Maybe I can use the footage in a fan trailer.

12570.jpg
    Let's just say, @Milovy, he's a main character. The James Bond type figure in the service and the top agent. I think it's worth watching him in that film as he was great in the role.

You have to admit, though. The clip is near forgotten until Eon decided to bring it back. The Saint would've been a more suitable candidate (which it is). Take also into account that they're playing a very different game, now.
    All things true, @ClarkDevlin! Also after posting I'd figured you'd already seen it but it's an interesting video nevertheless.

Spectre has Bond in many scenes replicating some of the Connery attitude, and that I can only recall two instances where it sounded slightly Moore-esque, one being the old man in his Fiat, and the other with Bond telling the guard to stay in his post. Other than all these, the entirety of the film was a Craig film and was dead serious.

People in majority, save for a few here, don't have a problem with Craig going "old Bond" (or "Classic Bond" to some), they have a problem with the structure of the story, Blofeld in general and the London finale. That's all.

You didn't see Nick Nack or Craig in a clown suit pop up out of nowhere, did you?

The whole of the plane sequence was Moore, too. Lets just say, in those dcenes they tried comic up Craig Bond, which he can play very well, of course, but was a Bit off After the other films. Plus not bleeding was another step into the lighter Territory.

• edited May 2017 Posts: 4,325

I did mention this before. She's up for the Bond girl role though.

The whole of the plane sequence was Moore, too. Lets just say, in those dcenes they tried comic up Craig Bond, which he can play very well, of course, but was a Bit off After the other films. Plus not bleeding was another step into the lighter Territory.
    The character wised up since his debut as a 00-agent. He's a veteran 00 by now who knows how to handle his adversaries and how would his missions go, having learned from the previous three instances which direction to go through and not make the wrong choices as much as possible. I personally didn't get the Moore thing about the whole of plane sequence other than how he sent a greeting gesture to Hinx (that I call an attribute of the cinematic Bond), but otherwise the sequence was dead serious and tried to show tension.

I get why the bleeding issue might be a problem with some people, though, as I personally have no fancy for it nor have anything against it. Don't mind if there is, don't mind if there isn't (that much). Then again, other than the wound in the shoulder, Bond didn't bleed that much in Skyfall, either. Both the Mendes films are very light compared to its consecutive two predecessors.

All in all, because there isn't blood and gore graphically shown doesn't mean the film is super-light and Moore-ish. Too many "dark" films lack those features.
    As the fangirl I am, I am all for liking each of his films. I was just pointing out, that personally I found Sp really lifht.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I would have liked to see Dominic West in the role. He is masculine, but has a playful, devilish energy that Craig lacks. He could play a cheekier Bond who can still be tough when needed. His face also has some character, unlike a lot of the blandly handsome men who are often suggested for Bond. Unfortunately, I think his time has passed, as he's pushing 50. Oh well.

136.jpg

West, like Fassbender, is a choice that i would have no complaints with. Not only do both fit the classic template, but from what I have seen of them, they could pull of the right qualities for the role too.
    edited May 2017 Posts: 23,883
    As the fangirl I am, I am all for liking each of his films. I was just pointing out, that personally I found Sp really lifht.
    It's a strange film, because it does appear on a surface level to be much lighter. However, there are some quite dark themes at work under it all, which many of us picked up on (either subliminally or consciously). It's just that it's cloaked in this outward playfulness which, the more I think about it, is mainly coming from Craig's performance. I'm not sure if it's this tonal mismatch that I find so offputting, or even whether it's because it's Craig who's injecting this which makes me dislike his portrayal here. I believe it is. Like he's fighting the narrative.

I also agree with you on the Moore'isms. That's exactly how I felt at several points during the car and plane chase, because these moments at levity in the middle of (what should be) tense sequences recalled what they did most often during Roger's tenure. It was very much a part of his interpretation and inherent to his portrayal more than Connery's, which tended to have the after the fact quips. A nod or an eyebrow lift during the TSWLM & FYEO car chases come to mind.

I hope they don't do this in the future. It just doesn't work in my mind, just as the quips Pierce used to throw about didn't recall Connery, but rather seemed like poor imitations of him.
    Get Fassbender to play Red Grant; they have the same heritage (Irish and German).
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    tanaka123 wrote: »

I think this shows how misinformed Express readers are. Those attacks on modern media are hereby validated.

Would love to see her in her proper role though. Always love a beautiful redhead.
    tanaka123 wrote: »

I think this shows how misinformed Express readers are. Those attacks on modern media are hereby validated.

Would love to see her in her proper role though. Always love a beautiful redhead.
    Hear hear!

136.jpg

I love Dominic West and he would have made a great Bond had he been about 15 years younger. Had Craig not been cast he would have been an excellent choice then. I think he can play both dead serious and lighter. And yes I agree about the face. That is something lacking with most if not all the potential successors of Craig.
    Of all the people we have here on the table, Dominic West would be my candidate, even though I know he won't be and will never be Bond.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

There was a rumour last year that he had actually been cast.

There was a rumour last year that he had actually been cast.
    I recall reading that he (Theo James) had failed a screen test (around the same time that the Jamie Bell thing was in the news).
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Yes, that came some time later.