Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Nothing says continuity like having Bond bed women for over 50 years, just to wake up one day as a female 00 agent.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    With a female Bond, that would mean they need to cast a Bond Man (and not a Bond Girl). God damn, I can't wait to see the discussions here about which 20-something actor is sexy enough to be bedded by Jane Bond.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    "Oh my word, what's the world come to?"

tumblr_n7i7bduW261sh1z9to1_400.gif
    In answer to the question asked, yes I have seen Turner in And then there were none and also in Poldark and so my impression of him is based on actually watching him perform, not just looking at a photo of him that was posted a couple of pages ago. There's more to being Bond than looking good in a still photo. And from what I have seen of him in action on screen the guy has zero charm, charisma or warmth to him
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    cooperman2 wrote: »
    In answer to the question asked, yes I have seen Turner in And then there were none and also in Poldark and so my impression of him is based on actually watching him perform, not just looking at a photo of him that was posted a couple of pages ago. There's more to being Bond than looking good in a still photo. And from what I have seen of him in action on screen the guy has zero charm, charisma or warmth to him

I feel the same way about Hiddleston. Hiddleston is a husk, a charisma vacuum. No real warmth about him.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Attacking an actor doesn't really add to your argument. I know you obviously don't
    like him, ( either Turner or Hiddleston ) it comes off as a bit rude. I enjoy both actors,
    and will continue to if they get or don't get Bond.
    I don't think saying you think an actor lacks charisma is being particularly rude, its just the point of view of whoever is posting. Turner just doesn't do it for me certainly not for Bond, but then post Night Manager neither does Hiddleston.
    I forgot its only those who love Craig that are allowed to slate other actors.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I thought he killed Slate in QOS ? :D
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    bondjames wrote: »
    This next actor casting is going to be very interesting. When Craig was cast, reboots were all the rage. That sort of helped EON to cast a 'relative' unknown in Craig, because it played into that approach. Moreover, it made sense given the objective with Craig was to 'define Bond' from inception. The next actor will be a 'continuation' actor most likely

Reboots have notably fizzled as of late, which suggests to me that they may go for a more 'known' actor next time out. Plus, as I noted before, they tend to alternate, apart from Laz who was a one off:

Connery (unknown)
    Laz (complete unknown)
    Moore (known)
    Dalton (relative unknown)
    Brosnan (known)
    Craig (relative unknown)
    Bond "00" 7 (known?)

I agree with this theory but still the known actor is tv Known. No single big role in film, within this rule i guess the only from tge media's favorite fitting in here is Aidan Turner who I do like very much.

• peterpeter Toronto
    I forgot its only those who love Craig that are allowed to slate other actors.

??? not sure where that's coming from Mendes?

With a female Bond, that would mean they need to cast a Bond Man (and not a Bond Girl). God damn, I can't wait to see the discussions here about which 20-something actor is sexy enough to be bedded by Jane Bond.

C'mon. Not a Bond Man, but a Bond Boy. (Girl -> Boy) So, disposable Bond Boys for a change, eh? :)

• edited May 2016 Posts: 1,661
    That Gillian Anderson rumour is bonkers. It's getting too silly now.

Edited update - it's just a fan image. Not to be taken seriously. Phew.
  • edited May 2016 Posts: 3,333
    cooperman2 wrote: »
    I disagree 100%, @cooperman2. I too have now extended my research of Turner beyond And Then There Was None episodes and have now watched 4 episodes of Poldark back-to-back, and can say hand-on-heart that this Turner guy is mesmerizing in his performance and has this thing you call "charisma" in spades.

I'm not normally one for costume period dramas, but I actually find Poldark watchable because of Turner, he's that bloody good in it - and yes, I can fully understand why he has a legion of female fans going giddy over him. Your response only brings into question what qualifies you to say someone has "zero, charm, charisma or warmth"? And let's not forget, Craig also encountered the very same accusations before, and to a degree, after CR. Would you consider those people right in their first-time impressions, or are they as misplaced as yours are about Turner? And surely, your comment of "There's more to being Bond than looking good in a still photo" is more applicable to Brosnan than it is Turner - who looked good but fell short in his final performance?

Though, I fully understand that this is your opinion, @cooperman2, and you're entitled to it just as much as I am mine, I do think you've rather over-egged it with your "zero charm" castigations.

I'm actually looking forward to concluding the remainder of my Poldark episodes tonight due to Turner's earthy, magnetic, stoic, and at times "tender" performance. Whilst watching it I couldn't help but think this Turner guy has a great commanding voice and presence, much like Craig's. So just to recapitulate: I think he'd make a great Bond.
  • Somewhere earlier in this thread someone mentioned Charlie Hunnam and recommended some movie or something where he supposedly seems very suave and Bondian. It seems like he was mostly dismissed just because of how scruffy the guy looks in pictures with his long hair and beard. I just ran across some photos he did for Calvin Klein where he is clean shaven and he actually does have a good look for Bond I think. I've never watched him anything though.

giphy.gif

CHARLIE-hunnam-elle-man.jpg

th-hunnam.jpg
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Well, if they can get Doutzen Kroes as a Bond Girl... ;)
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    Somewhere earlier in this thread someone mentioned Charlie Hunnam and recommended some movie or something where he supposedly seems very suave and Bondian. It seems like he was mostly dismissed just because of how scruffy the guy looks in pictures with his long hair and beard. I just ran across some photos he did for Calvin Klein where he is clean shaven and he actually does have a good look for Bond I think. I've never watched him anything though.

giphy.gif

CHARLIE-hunnam-elle-man.jpg

th-hunnam.jpg

Ok i can say proudly i was the one mentioning him constantly and mostly because of this Calvin Klein add you just posted and those latter pictures scream Bond even more.
    Ive seen some episodes of Sons of Anarchy and few clips of some of his old films where he has the attitude and charisma to portray Bond.
    like i said the perfect hybrid of Pierce Brosnan and Daniel Craig which will make the Pierce Brosnan and Daniel Craig fans very happy or the Henry Cavil( the equivalent to Pierce) and the Tom Hardy and Idris Elba ( The Daniel Craig equivalents) very happy as well.

With Charlie Hunnam Its a win win situation.

• SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    Ok here is a video of Charlie in Pacific Reem

https://youtu.be/nxGB80JLFVQ
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Well, if they can get Doutzen Kroes as a Bond Girl... ;)

They can, seems she wants to pick up acting agian (was Dutch news, so I'll refrain from posting it here).

• 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    sorry i can't see Hunnam as Bond at all. He is a typical romantic hero, but doesn't have the flicker of evil in his eyes, which is required in my opinion.
    Bond should carry a sense of underlying darkness with him (he's a mass murderer after all) and Hunnam just looks like a genuine nice guy no matter what he does.
    Craig has been a superb Bond no question but I don't think he is irreplaceable, but as yet I haven't seen anyone who is entirely right for the role. When he is eventually replaced I will do what I always do and give them a chance to prove they can play Bond. As yet I don't think they have got the casting of Bond wrong, every actor so far have played Bond well. Even Lazenby made a pretty good job of it despite his lack of experience. If he had carried on I think he would become more popular
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    00Agent wrote: »
    sorry i can't see Hunnam as Bond at all. He is a typical romantic hero, but doesn't have the flicker of evil in his eyes, which is required in my opinion.
    Bond should carry a sense of underlying darkness with him (he's a mass murderer after all) and Hunnam just looks like a genuine nice guy no matter what he does.

He certainly does in Sons of Anarchy.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    suavejmf wrote: »
    00Agent wrote: »

He certainly does in Sons of Anarchy.

ok thanks for the tip, i haven't seen that one except for a couple clips and trailers.
    But i did saw a couple of his movies.

All in all i still prefer guys like Turner and Hiddleston at the moment
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    I would prefer Hiddleston too.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    I'm either in a bad mood or just Monday morning but at the moment I am not really enthusiastic over any of the names mentioned.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I've seen Charlie Hunnam in several things and while he has the surface attributes, my reaction to his screen presence is consistently, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I've seen the first 4 seasons of 'Sons of Anarchy', and Hunnam put me to sleep each time he was on screen.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I bought a few of his films to see if he has the capabilities. He definitely has a look to him that's interesting, and he's a pretty good actor as well. However, I just don't see him as Bond.

As others have said, he seems to be missing the killer edge. A certain duality is the key to a great Bond actor imho and I've not seen that from Hunnam. Moreover, he has a physique that looks like a chap who spends too much time at the gym imho, rather than a gentleman spy, even in comparison to Craig.
    Daily Express:
    Double Oh No: 7 reasons Tom Hiddleston should NOT replace Daniel Craig as Bond

http://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/films/671853/Tom-Hiddleston-should-not-replace-Daniel-Craig-James-Bond-007

:D
    edited May 2016 Posts: 8,113
    I agree with all of them, except the last. Hiddleston isn't even a good actor.