Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• Thank god the Aiden Turner ship has sailed! Bond absolutely should not have the looks and vibe of a Sicilian mobster.
  • buddyoldchapbuddyoldchap Formerly known as JeremyBondon
    edited January 26 Posts: 163
    Benny wrote: »
    It would seem that ship has sailed @buddyoldchap

No real new candidates coming through, some suggestions don't seem to work for a few of us, and others are just plain wrong for the role.
    It's a very tough role to fill.

It would indeed. Their loss I'd say. The current crop just doesn't do it for me. Imo they waited too long, up to EoN to come up with a great new Bond...

@Colonel_Venus troll harder, buddy
    I suppose until auditions are underway there’s not really a crop or choice as such (and we certainly won’t know of them until later), just all the male actors of a very broad age range/physical description. I’d say there’s probably just as many solid options in there as there always has been.

I’d even say Turner hasn’t missed out. If EON really wanted him I think he’d get an audition when the time comes. I think they’ll stray into early 40s for a candidate they like. I just think it’s unlikely he’ll get the part. He’s a bit too understated for me personally. While a good actor I don’t think he’s quite got that natural charisma. And going from what he’s said he seems wholly uninterested in the part.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    Said it before, but Cubby would've seen And Then There None and hired Aidan Turner the week after SP left cinemas. Probably.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Venutius wrote: »
    Said it before, but Cubby would've seen And Then There None and hired Aidan Turner the week after SP left cinemas. Probably.

Or maybe, after the success of Bourne, considered Matt Damon to take over from Pierce, 🤷‍♂️ 😂…
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I actually do think he would have caught Chubby’s eye.
    Difficult to say. Cubby wasn't beyond turning down strong/specific candidates. I don't think he much liked Sam Neil even if he was quite popular with the rest of the team.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited January 26 Posts: 5,869
    I think for me I've just always found the possibility of Aiden a bit uninspired? Over the years it would seem that the main reason Aiden was considered by fans was because he played a character who looked good smoking and wearing a tuxedo in And Then There None.
    Denbigh wrote: »
    I think for me I've just always found the possibility of Aiden a bit uninspired? Over the years it would seem that the main reason Aiden was considered by fans was because he played a character who looked good smoking and wearing a tuxedo in And Then There None.

He does't have star quality IMO.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited January 26 Posts: 40,534
    It's gonna be interesting eventually gauging everyone's initial reactions to the announcement of the next Bond and then comparing those to their actual film debut.
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    I suggest we keep an eye on Michael and Barbara's outings to the theaters and check whether there are candidates more active on stage than on the screen.
    Everyone's too known and that's an issue. Luckily I'm not.
    I'd be surprised if the next Bond was more a theatre actor. No doubt theatre experience is good, and many actors have it, but Bond is primarily a screen role, and I think as a performer knowing how to convey those nuances for screen is important, considering how different stage acting can be sometimes.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Lovers' Rosy Stain
    I only come to this thread for your posts.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited January 26 Posts: 2,943
    007HallY wrote: »
    Difficult to say. Cubby wasn't beyond turning down strong/specific candidates. I don't think he much liked Sam Neil even if he was quite popular with the rest of the team.

Yes, didn't Lewis Collins say something along the lines of he went in to meet EON quite gung-ho and full of himself, but that in doing so he really irritated Cubby in the process and came out of the meeting already knowing that he'd blown it? Ah, well.
    mattjoes wrote: »
    I only come to this thread for your posts.

Thanks bro. And they used to think I was a troll!
    edited January 27 Posts: 163

13fa158b00da7621ea7e68087dc48420.jpg
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited January 27 Posts: 5,869
    Can we also get Callum as Bond so we can say that James Bond, the Joker and Elvis have worked together? ;)
    callum-turner-barry-keoghan-and-austin-butler-attend-the-uk-v0-dxi99emom3ec1.jpeg?auto=webp&s=9141d08b630d1e96c7cc7f13e84db3d8f7752ad3
    Yes, and given that Callum played Pierce’s son in The last living boy in NY, can we say that, if cast, he’d be… wait for it…

jamesbondjr-1650408626115.jpg?width=300&crop=1%3A1%2Csmart&auto=webp

• peterpeter Toronto
    Univex wrote: »
    Yes, and given that Callum played Pierce’s son in The last living boy in NY, can we say that, if cast, he’d be… wait for it…

This is the best thing I've read all week.

There's nothing like the first cup of coffee and a wide grin because of a smart Bond reference, 😂. Well done!
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator

13fa158b00da7621ea7e68087dc48420.jpg

If I were a religious man, i'd pray for this to happen.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited January 27 Posts: 5,994
    I wouldn't rule out an Aussie, certainly not because of Lazenby.

They have a strong recent acting tradition, and for whatever reason they are very, very good at American accents. Not sure how well they do British accents, though, but it seems like that would be even easier for them.

More on this (albeit a bit dated), if anyone's interested:

https://www.hometheaterforum.com/community/threads/australians-and-the-perfect-american-accent.191920/
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    echo wrote: »
    I wouldn't rule out an Aussie, certainly not because of Lazenby.

They have a strong recent acting tradition, and for whatever reason they are very, very good at American accents. Not sure how well they do British accents, though, but it seems like that would be even easier for them.

Hugh Jackman would have been a great Bond.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK

…with Kate Beckinsale as his femme-fatale stepmother right? ;)

…with Kate Beckinsale as his femme-fatale stepmother right? ;)

Yes, please ;)
  • zebrafish wrote: »
    I think for me I've just always found the possibility of Aiden a bit uninspired?

I really believe he would be an awful choice and I am very grateful we have moved past him.
    zebrafish wrote: »
    I think for me I've just always found the possibility of Aiden a bit uninspired?

I really believe he would be an awful choice and I am very grateful we have moved past him.

When I said troll harder I meant it. You're just spouting without using arguments. In other news, per usual, @MajorDSmythe is right on the money.
  • @buddyoldchap He is a bad actor who doesn't even look the part. That's my argument.
  • I mean his acting skills are completely subjective, but I think he looks fine to me. Probably of all the candidates, he’s the one who looks the most like Bond conceptually speaking. This is coming from somebody whose never really championed him for the part.
    edited January 27 Posts: 163
    @buddyoldchap He is a bad actor who doesn't even look the part. That's my argument.

Well, I only have one answer to that
    tumblr_mjwdt1m3cQ1s8uzeno3_r1_250.gif

@007ClassicBondFan Exactamundo

Next.