Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    edited February 1 Posts: 14,888
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    Is Justin Bieber still available?

How about Harry Styles?

An actor who seems to be flavour of the month at the moment, and who has had his name mentioned in one of those 'odds for X actor just went up' kind of clickbait is, Barry Keoghan.
    Personally I don't see Bond in his looks or any of the films I've seen him in.
    I'm pretty open to what different actors might bring to the role, but if EON went with him I really would be disappointed.
    hprigezn06pg.jpg
  • I highly doubt Barry Keoghan will ever be considered for the role. Just because he's a good actor or trendy currently doesn't mean he'll be considered. On the other hand, I could see him being approached for a villain or ally role.
  • edited February 1 Posts: 2,970
    Yeah, Keoghan won’t get the role (I think he’d be too busy/a touch too famous for it). But he’s actually not a bad choice per say, just a very unusual one.

He’s the right age, and he’s a solid actor. He’s actually a good looking guy when not playing weirdos. He’s got a good natural boxer’s physique and can move very well. From Saltburn he looks good in a tuxedo and can do sex appeal/charisma. Maybe his only downside is his height. Just give him a better haircut and I can see a parallel universe somewhere where he could do it. I’d take him any day over Jacob Elordi. But again, won’t happen.
    bondywondy wrote: »
    Maybe Argyll isn't going to help Henry Cavill become the next Bond...

Daily Express review
    Argylle is the worst movie we've seen in ages: Henry Cavill fans have been cruelly tricked
    1 / 5 stars
    Argylle
    Argylle review. Henry Cavill's James Bond? This is anything but. A colossal waste of his and Dua Lipa's talent in the worst blockbuster we've seen since Morbius. An abysmal disappointment with a clickbait poster promising so much and delivering nothing more than a licence to snooze.

To be fair it's just one review and one person's opinion but I recall Richard Madden getting a lot of next Bond attention after the BBC TV show Bodyguard was broadcast but his appeal kinda waned when he appeared in Amazon’s spy show Citadel. That got some very negative reviews. Poorly received films and tv shows can tarnish an actor's profile. It provides Bond fans with a convenient excuse to trash a candidate!

Roger Moore got great reviews when he played the Saint and Pierce Brosnan was liked when he starred in Remington Steele. Not sure there is a modern equivalent. Maybe Aidan Turner in Poldark? If an actor really stood out in a tv show or film that could push them to the top of the list of candidates.

Argylle is currently tracking in the 30 percent range on Rotten Tomatoes.

Success hurts your chances more.

bondywondy wrote: »

To be fair it's just one review and one person's opinion but I recall Richard Madden getting a lot of next Bond attention after the BBC TV show Bodyguard was broadcast but his appeal kinda waned when he appeared in Amazon’s spy show Citadel. That got some very negative reviews. Poorly received films and tv shows can tarnish an actor's profile. It provides Bond fans with a convenient excuse to trash a candidate!

Roger Moore got great reviews when he played the Saint and Pierce Brosnan was liked when he starred in Remington Steele. Not sure there is a modern equivalent. Maybe Aidan Turner in Poldark? If an actor really stood out in a tv show or film that could push them to the top of the list of candidates.

So does that mean suggested Bond candidate Jack Lowden should be excited.
    Slow Horses gets good reviews and is very popular. Along with Lowden's performance.
    Also Gangs Of London starring Sope Dirisu. Very popular show, and there are those who've noted Dirisu's Bond potential based on this show. Myself included.
    I can see where you're coming from @bondywondy , but I don't know if this is very accurate or how EON would go about finding the next OO7.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited February 1 Posts: 2,938
    Yeah, people forget now, but Adrian Paul actually topped loads of successive 'Next James Bond' polls in the '90s and early '00s thanks to Highlander. It was probably casuals, and maybe Adrian's fans swamping the polling, rather than any groundswell from Bond fans per se but it does demonstrate the advantages of being known from a hit tv programme. In those days, at least. Deke might be right about that having changed now and EON preferring the less obvious route.
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    edited February 1 Posts: 1,383
    Also, after the BMW films, Clive Owen was looked at as the next James Bond, that Bruckheimer stopped Fuqua from casting Daniel Craig as King Arthur in the 2004 film, because Bruckheimer was certain Owen was going to be the next James Bond and that it would help boost the film. I think Clive Owen's case is an example that the ones who look like getting the part, sometimes don't.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    Denbigh wrote: »

I would rather him be Bond than most of the candidates suggested
  • peterpeter Toronto
    He's very personable and likable. He has "something" to his look. He's masculine and effortless presence.

He deserves a long look IMO....
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    peter wrote: »
    He's very personable and likable. He has "something" to his look. He's masculine and effortless presence.

He does.

If he’s cast, I’m going to ask @Denbigh for stock advice 😏
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    talos7 wrote: »
    peter wrote: »

He does.

If he’s cast, I’m going to ask @Denbigh for stock advice 😏
    If he's cast, I'll have to change my username...

6917dbd284f19a4d62588667b88fe44550a2337d.gif
    👍🏼
  • edited February 1 Posts: 12,837
    Highly recommend The Capture to anybody who hasn’t seen it. Turner’s brilliant in the first season, definitely shows he has the masculine edge you need for the role, and it’s a great watch. Bond could take notes in how they’ve drawn on present day fears (deepfakes, AI, China, social media and its impact on elections, all sorts) to make a gripping thriller. I’d like the next one to feel as timeley as that show does.
    edited February 1 Posts: 1,383
    Just thinking about the inventive promotional debut pics Bond 7 is going to get. All the previous Bonds had great debut promotional pics.
  • Just thinking about the inventive promotional debut pics Bond 7 is going to get. All the previous Bonds had great debut promotional pics.

How about a promotional TikTik/Youtube Short? Something like this? https://www.youtube.com/shorts/cU2_KAiUMIs
    Just thinking about the inventive promotional debut pics Bond 7 is going to get. All the previous Bonds had great debut promotional pics.

How about a promotional TikTik/Youtube Short? Something like this? https://www.youtube.com/shorts/cU2_KAiUMIs

Oh, I meant like pics. James Bond posing with his gun. Posing with his car, etc.
    Yeah, Turner’s growing on me a lot as well. Definitely a plausible choice.
    I would also add Thomas Doherty. I would be surprised, if Doherty isn't on Barbara's list.
    I would also add Thomas Doherty. I would be surprised, if Doherty isn't on Barbara's list.

To be honest I’d be surprised if he was. Would EON want an actor who’s been compared to a young Sean Connery in the looks department at least.
    It would also unfairly put a lot of weight on the actors shoulders.
    I can see why you’d suggest him though @SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷
    edited February 2 Posts: 1,383
    Benny wrote: »

To be honest I’d be surprised if he was. Would EON want an actor who’s been compared to a young Sean Connery in the looks department at least.

Yeah. I understand your point @Benny. But he's got the mouth and eyes....Plus, angry stare. Just imagine him lurking in the dark...in a tuxedo, atop a skyscraper with a sniper's rifle, staring with those saturnine eyes.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com

It's about time that James Bond let loose and wore baggy trousers and had a pet monkey as a companion. 🐒
  • Dragonpol wrote: »

It's about time that James Bond let loose and wore baggy trousers and had a pet monkey as a companion. 🐒

They could name the monkey “Dr. No” too!
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com

They could name the monkey “Dr. No” too!

Indeed. It's time to use that old idea. Nothing should ever be thrown out!
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    edited February 2 Posts: 2,525
    At some point we should do a top 3 candidates poll or something. It'd be interesting to see what actors, our members think will get a screentest
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    At some point we should do a top 3 candidates poll or something. It'd be interesting to see what actors, our members think will get a screentest

That's almost creepy. I had a similar idea earlier today.
    I figured there would be too many choices.
    Still, could be fun.

It's been done several times; at this point many actors have, or are, aging out.

If I had to choose three at this moment, in no particular order, they would be...

1, Leo Suter
    2. Callum Turner
    3. Jack Lowden
  • 1. Aaron Taylor-Johnson
    2. Callum Turner
    3. Jack Lowden
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    LucknFate wrote: »
    LucknFate wrote: »
    Keeping in mind the popular thinking is they want a younger/30ish Bond (and assuming he's white):

Who?
    Fabien Frankel
    Paul Mescal
    Luke Thompson
    Jonathan Bailey
    Tom Brittney
    Joey Batey
    Tom Glynn-Carney
    Joe Alwyn
    Callum Turner
    Johnny Flynn
    Callum Woodhouse
    Nicholas Ralph
    Jack Lowden
    Fionn Whitehead
    Thomas Doherty
    Tom Bateman

Popular/Rumorful/Asked About It
    Aaron Taylor Johnson
    Nicholas Hoult
    Josh O'Connor

Potential Age Fudge Zone
    Aidan Turner
    James Norton
    Richard Madden
    Oliver Jackson-Cohen

Noted but Might've Missed the Bond Boat
    Regé-Jean Page
    Henry Cavill
    Sam Caflin
    Jamie Dornan
    Jonas Armstrong

Likely Aged Out But Maybe Could Make It Work
    Sam Heughan
    Tom Hiddleston
    Idris Elba
    Luke Evans
    Joe Armstrong
    Tom Hardy

Not Quite There/Been There
    Michael Fassbender
    Matt Smith
    Benedict Cumberbatch
    Taron Egerton
    Jamie Bell
    Eddie Redmayne
    Dominic Cooper
    Harry Styles

Now ... going to cite back to this anytime we discuss the handful of longshot, wildcard, non-traditional options.

Added Thomas Doherty (who I'd previously intentionally left off because my first impression was off),

td-headshot-michael-shelford-1674684107.jpg?crop=1.00xw:1.00xh;0,0&resize=1200:*

and Tom Bateman to this list. Who apparently dates/dated Daisy Ridley?

daisy-ridley-tom-bateman-rare-appearance-05.jpg

If you want the next actor to be named some variation of "Joe" or "James/Jamie" your odds seem high.

My list from before.
  • edited February 2 Posts: 2,970
    Benny wrote: »

Yeah. I understand your point @Benny. But he's got the mouth and eyes....Plus, angry stare. Just imagine him lurking in the dark...in a tuxedo, atop a skyscraper with a sniper's rifle, staring with those saturnine eyes.

In Doherty's defence he's very different to Connery. I wouldn't say necessarily in a good way though, at least for Bond. I think the character needs to be a bit more brutish than Doherty tends to convey in his performances, and while he does have sex appeal I'm not quite sure if it's of the same ilk that Bond actors tend to have. A member here once said that Doherty is like Connery but with all the masculinity taken out... perhaps a bit unfair, and I think much of that comes from Doherty as a person with his Christian Dior make up/clothes promos and heavy whiff of metrosexuality rather than a performer (there is a difference). I do think it somewhat carries over into his acting though, and he lacks that edge, that certain brutishness/roughness/gravitas. He's more 'elegant' whenever I see him in stuff. If anything I can see him more as a villain, which I think would actually be interesting.

It'd be interesting, but I think there's a relatively good grasp of how popular certain actors are on here. Sope Dirisu tends to get very favourable feedback even with some who don't want to see him in the part (and I also suppose despite the suggestion causing arguments at times, haha). Callum Turner's obviously had very good feedback here as of late, which is quite new. I'd say at the moment those are the favourites here, not that that means anything at all to EON or the outcome.