Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• echoecho 007 in New York
    Gents, we may be in for a ride...

https://www.worldofreel.com/blog/2023/9/26/lluj1u172l3gwejmovm5wcaf3fftqu

"EON wants a full reboot/restart in the modern era with Nolan wanting to make adaptations of the Ian Fleming novels, in period settings, that stick close to the original source material."

In Nolan I trust! (but not ATJ)

I say rubbish. There's no product placement in period pieces that would allow Eon to finance the films.
  • buddyoldchapbuddyoldchap Formerly known as JeremyBondon
    echo wrote: »

"EON wants a full reboot/restart in the modern era with Nolan wanting to make adaptations of the Ian Fleming novels, in period settings, that stick close to the original source material."

I say rubbish. There's no product placement in period pieces that would allow Eon to finance the films.

Nolan is guaranteed box office. Also, amazon? Come on
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    echo wrote: »

It may sound cynical but I agree, an inability to have product placement is a consideration.
    I dont believe the period piece idea
  • Agent0099Agent0099 Milford, Michigan
    Bond must continue to adapt to the modern times in order to survive and I highly doubt they will go back to the 1950s or 60s, I also highly doubt Nolan is directing.
    Risico007 wrote: »
    I dont believe the period piece idea

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952mh5atd9q3lx95j67z9urygvx1wtofkf8yl6ahges&ep=v1_internal_gif_by_id&rid=giphy.gif
    Yeah, product placement is a consideration. And no, Nolan’s name does not guarantee success alone (Tenet being an example of an underwhelming Nolan film in this area). Personally, a period piece Bond with ATJ sounds a bit dull really.

I’m also not sure if EON would sign on a director for that many films without seeing how the first one turned out. I doubt this is 100% true.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    I hope they keep Bond in a modern setting, but just keep it grounded
  • mattjoesmattjoes Lovers' Rosy Stain
    I mean, I wouldn't mind if Bond took a plane every once in a while. Not everything has to happen on the ground.
    Let's speculate some more:

https://jamesbond.nl/has-bond-26-started-production/

Production-Weekly-Bond-26-listing.jpg?w=886&ssl=1

"But the one that’s of interest to us is Bullets for Winter. Clicking on that title reveals no details. However, there’s a link to the IMDb Pro page. Bullets for Winter redirects to… Bond 26!"

• Bullets for winter is good title for James Bond film. Who is being James Bond in new film with no Daniel Craig. So many choice.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    Bullets for winter is good title for James Bond film. Who is being James Bond in new film with no Daniel Craig. So many choice.

Bond-25-Concept-Art-by-Tim-Browning.jpg?resize=768%2C344&ssl=1

Wonder if they're going to recycle some of this concept art from the B25 Boyleverse.
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    Bullets for the Winter is a great Bond title, Flemingesque like (kinda like what he could've wrote as a title of a chapter).

But still hoping for the likes of Property of a Lady and Risico.
  • edited September 2023 Posts: 6,677
    Just for the sake of keeping the rumour alive while it still breads, what actor would we choose for a 50s period piece? Considering shooting wouldn’t begin until 2025, of course.

I’d say Turner. But surely one can think of other actors who would suit the times.
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    edited September 2023 Posts: 3,393
    Univex wrote: »
    Just for the sake of keeping the rumour alive while it still breads, what actor would we choose for a 50s period piece? Considering shooting wouldn’t begin until 2025, of course.

I’d say Turner. But surely one can think of other actors who would suit the times.

Bring Brosnan, Lazenby or Dalton back.
    Reuse them.
    Make it ala Never Say Never Again.

Then keep the new actor for the contemporary era (just for the sake of originality in his run, the new actor should represent the era that he's in, if we're going to put him in a period piece, he would be wasted).
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    what actor would we choose for a 50s period piece?...I’d say Turner.
    Agreed, Turner would make a great 1950s Bond.

edited September 2023 Posts: 161
    Venutius wrote: »
    what actor would we choose for a 50s period piece?...I’d say Turner.
    Agreed, Turner would make a great 1950s Bond.

This guy?

FY3ouAKXoAAOH7y.jpg:large

edited September 2023 Posts: 2,943
    Yeah, that's the guy!
  • echoecho 007 in New York

CGI Connery with Kim Kardashian as Vesper.
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    If its 50s and Nolan, get Cilian Murphy
    I think for a majority of choices it won’t matter what the setting is. Personally I don’t feel Aidan Turner would be interesting as Bond in either a modern film or a 50s set one. The only differences are him smoking, having a slightly different hairstyle etc. Same with the likes of ATJ.

There are exceptions - obviously a non white Bond is more noteworthy in this era.
    edited September 2023 Posts: 1,445
    I think I would genuinely lose interest in the franchise if they go back in time. It'd have to be done to level of detail of the Indiana Jones movies, and all of those end up in closed sets pretty quickly to avoid dealing with the "back-in-time" aspects. I worry a 50s Bond movie would just mean fewer technology options and fewer scenes in a city/outside, which sounds boring, or a COMPLETE reliance on SFX and more likely computer VFX that would certainly immediately take me out of the movie, ala the latest Indy movies. There's zero challenge to going back to the 50s. There's significant challenge in doing a modern Bond. Don't be a coward. And on 007HallY's note, to me personally, it would seem like an attempt to avoid any criticism about diversifying the Bond role, which I personally would like to see, again, as it's a new challenge for the franchise and I'm confident they can get it very right.
    Just for fun and if anyone bites, here's a list of some British actors I think could be suitable for a screentest. I said screentest.

Sope Dirisu
    Actor-Sope-Dirisu-Playing-A-Role-On-TV-Series-Gangs-Of-London.jpg?quality=86&strip=all

Jacob Anderson
    image.jpg?id=31875217&width=1310&quality=80

Daniel Kaluuya
    dk.jpeg

Michael Ward
    0223_Michael_Ward_embed01.jpg

Nick Sagar
    tumblr_oyrn0pERvm1uqr5j7o1_1280.jpg

...and Another of Sagar.. because I like to look at him.
    NICK+LOW+RES+2.jpg?format=2500w

• peterpeter Toronto
    Having rewatched Gangs of London 1, and blasted through the second season, I know only one actor that keeps solidifying his 007 potential, and far and above any competitors. He’s everything Bond needs to be, and under his alpha male swagger and charm, lies vulnerability. Sope is the complete package in my eyes. One helluva an actor, authentic and genuine, with unlimited screen charisma.

• Most of those don't have any Bond qualities at all.
    M_Blaise wrote: »
    Most of those don't have any Bond qualities at all.

Yeah. Pierce Brosnan looks just like Roger Moore. Except they don't. So I'm curious what qualities you question in these individuals. Please elaborate.

Some of you need to see a "traditionally British" man in a tuxedo with a short hair cut and skinny face to see James Bond, which is childish. Go watch what you have and let us have something fresh.

292ad2dffac41684cbadf5f2d2bec7bce3bf6b3b.gifv
    I just want to say... warn??? that I do believe Kaluuya is a dark horse in the running if he's ever interested in doing Bond. His career is in a similar place as Craig's when cast. Been in a few successful features, popular in smaller roles, known but not well known. His career is primed for Bond, if we model it after how Craig caught their attention. A healthy balance between safe box office bet and something different and new. That is, if I'm allowed to treat my suggestions seriously. Would love to know what qualities he lacks, that don't include his accent.

image?url=https%3A%2F%2Fstatic.onecms.io%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2Fsites%2F6%2F2018%2F11%2Fdaniel-kaluuya-2000.jpg
  • It's very difficult to explain, but whoever is in that gif looks a lot more like Doctor Who.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    peter wrote: »
    Having rewatched Gangs of London 1, and blasted through the second season, I know only one actor that keeps solidifying his 007 potential, and far and above any competitors. He’s everything Bond needs to be, and under his alpha male swagger and charm, lies vulnerability. Sope is the complete package in my eyes. One helluva an actor, authentic and genuine, with unlimited screen charisma.

How's the quality consistency in S2? I heard Gareth wasn't as involved in that one. I loved the first season, just haven't had the time for the latest one yet.
    Out of those suggestions, Sope's far and away the best man for job IMO, for all the reasons Peter listed above.