Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• TheSkyfallen06TheSkyfallen06 Buenos Aires, Argentina.
    edited October 2023 Posts: 996
    [DELETED]
    [MOVED-TO-MAKING-FUN-THREAD]
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Thanks for the spam @TheSkyfallen06
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    Like what I've said, it's an AI!
  • Agent0099Agent0099 Milford, Michigan

Further evidence to why Sope is perfect for bond!!
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    ^doesn't load for me "refused to connect" - which account?
  • I reckon I could outbox him.
    Yeah unfortunately it's not working just look on Sope's Instagram, He posted his workout body from gangs of london and he really looks ripped!
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Agent0099 wrote: »
    Yeah unfortunately it's not working just look on Sope's Instagram, He posted his workout body from gangs of london and he really looks ripped!

I get that some here are excited by very strong-looking black men, but I'm afraid there's more to Bond than that.
    @CommanderRoss Have you seen him in gangs of london? He possesses alot more than toughness and strength, He has alot of elegance and pathos that fits the character of bond.
  • edited October 2023 Posts: 6,677
    I have seen gangs of London. I do like Sope. But why some think he's Bond material is beyond me. James bond 007 is nothing like him. There isn't a single discernible trait that speaks Bond to me when I watch him. Is he tough? Yeah. Has he got presence? Yeah. But since when are those traits things that scream James Bond. It's a syllogistic thing. Does Bond have to be though and have screen presence? Yeah. Is everyone who is though and has screen presence James Bond? No. Simple.

So, I am in full agreement with @CommanderRoss on this.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Sope:
    Physical
    Alpha
    Talented actor
    Charisma
    Sexy
    Vulnerable
    Tough
    Stylish
    Athletic
    Brutal
    Charming
    Twinkle in the eye
    Humour, and more…, and
    … it has nothing to do with the colour of his skin and everything to do with innate attributes he has and would bring to the role of James Bond, 007.

Jesus.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited October 2023 Posts: 8,152
    peter wrote: »
    Sope:
    Physical
    Alpha
    Talented actor
    Charisma
    Sexy
    Vulnerable
    Tough
    Stylish
    Athletic
    Brutal
    Charming
    Twinkle in the eye
    Humour, and more…, and
    … it has nothing to do with the colour of his skin and everything to do with innate attributes he has and would bring to the role of James Bond, 007.

Jesus.

So if there was an actor who had all of these qualities but also happened to be a little person, would you say they would be an ideal candidate?
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @Mendes4Lyfe … nooooo because the actor was a little person. I’m afraid you’re grasping….
    that's exactly my point, why is it not appropriate that bond is played by an actor that is a little person?
  • peterpeter Toronto
    edited October 2023 Posts: 8,585
    A short person would have a real challenge encapsulating James Bond @Mendes4Lyfe … Sope has no such problems. Other than people like you, obsessing over his skin color.
    A short person would have a real challenge encapsulating James Bond @Mendes4Lyfe … Sope has no such problems. Other than people like you, obsessing over his skin color.

What does "encapsulating James Bond" mean besides the qualities that you listed above, because a little person is just as capable of portraying all of those qualities as an actor of 6 ft is.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    You’re really grasping @Mendes4Lyfe . But you know that already.

Obviously Bond is a man of “around” a certain height. And within that height, Sope has all the ingredients to be one helluva James Bond.

Why don’t you explain why my observation of this actor is wrong. Will you do that? Or is time to go quiet again 🙄

Obviously Bond is a man of “around” a certain height. And within that height, Sope has all the ingredients to be one helluva James Bond.

Why don’t you explain why my observation of this actor is wrong. Will you do that? Or is time to go quiet again 🙄

how do we know Bond is a certain height?
  • peterpeter Toronto

Well, the Bond in the films has ranged in height from approximately 5'10_- 6'2. Sope is right within this range.

Do you want to answer more questions by asking a question? My kids did that when they were around five....
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Agent0099 wrote: »
    @CommanderRoss Have you seen him in gangs of london? He possesses alot more than toughness and strength, He has alot of elegance and pathos that fits the character of bond.

Nope, I haven't, I have hardly time for watching anything these days. I'm not saying Sope would be a bad Bond, I don't know. I was reacting to the fact that this thread has a exceptionally high amount of pictures of half-dressed men with a dark skin tone, and those are posted by a very small amount of members here.

Let's put it this way, the diversity of proposed actors is rather low.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Sope doesn't look like Bond to me, and yes, that is partly to do with his skin colour.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    And what’s the other part @MajorDSmythe ?

I honestly could give a rat’s rear about an actor’s skin color. They either have the attributes to play a character, or they don’t.

At one time, I thought Idris Elba would make a great Bond. But then I watched a few of his films back to back, and, although I liked him as an actor, I just no longer felt that I’d like him as 007. This had nothing to do with skin color, but what talents the actor was bringing to the table.

Sope has everything that makes James Bond such an amazing and fun character; it’s a shame that people would deny all of his gifts annd what he’d bring to this role, over something as superficial and trivial as skin color. In my eyes he’d be an explosive choice, not because of the pigment of his skin, but because his abundance of talent and charisma and physicality. For the record, and sadly, I don’t think Sope will be cast, but in my eyes, he’s the perfect representation of a new era in the James Bond series….

Well, the Bond in the films has ranged in height from approximately 5'10_- 6'2. Sope is right within this range.

All the actors ranged between various skin tones as well though. At the end of the day, either stick to the character as conceived on the page or be open to changing characteristics, but if you're going to do that at the very least be consistent about it. If bond can be black there's no reason he can't have dwarfism or be gay, female, trans, disabled etc. The same guy that intentionally wrote him as male, straight and 6 ft also intentionally wrote his race and background the way it is.

I honestly could give a rat’s rear about an actor’s skin color. They either have the attributes to play a character, or they don’t.

At one time, I thought Idris Elba would make a great Bond. But then I watched a few of his films back to back, and, although I liked him as an actor, I just no longer felt that I’d like him as 007. This had nothing to do with skin color, but what talents the actor was bringing to the table.

Sope has everything that makes James Bond such an amazing and fun character; it’s a shame that people would deny all of his gifts annd what he’d bring to this role, over something as superficial and trivial as skin color. In my eyes he’d be an explosive choice, not because of the pigment of his skin, but because his abundance of talent and charisma and physicality. For the record, and sadly, I don’t think Sope will be cast, but in my eyes, he’s the perfect representation of a new era in the James Bond series….

I agree. It would be an exciting possibility and direction, and I think Sope is a talent with a lot of clear potential, whereas a lot of other proposed Bond actors in this thread I feel have shown most of what they can offer already etc. There's a depth and almost mystery with him, and something unconventional beyond his skin tone about his charisma and conviction.

I do think we are solidly in an era/future where the Bond actor's background/ethnicity is open potential, especially so long as we're in a contemporary/near future setting. I think it'd be responsible, as a fan, to accept that the creatives involved are probably very open minded about it, and to be open to any eventuality with fresh perspective and excitement. And please be open-minded about your friends' suggestions on this forum.
  • Insanely controvertial choice and massive challenge for the actor. Imagine the backlash and hate! Is he even a movie actor? He has chunky legs anyway. Cool guy tho
  • peterpeter Toronto

All the actors ranged between various skin tones as well though. At the end of the day, either stick to the character as conceived on the page or be open to changing characteristics, but if you're going to do that at the very least be consistent about it. If bond can be black there's no reason he can't have dwarfism or be gay, female, trans, disabled etc. The same guy that intentionally wrote him as male, straight and 6 ft also intentionally wrote his race and background the way it is.

@Mendes4Lyfe … it’s your bed time.
    LucknFate wrote: »

I agree. It would be an exciting possibility and direction, and I think Sope is a talent with a lot of clear potential, whereas a lot of other proposed Bond actors in this thread I feel have shown most of what they can offer already etc. There's a depth and almost mystery with him, and something unconventional beyond his skin tone about his charisma and conviction.

I do think we are solidly in an era/future where the Bond actor's background/ethnicity is open potential, especially so long as we're in a contemporary/near future setting. I think it'd be responsible, as a fan, to accept that the creatives involved are probably very open minded about it, and to be open to any eventuality with fresh perspective and excitement. And please be open-minded about your friends' suggestions on this forum.

Nicely said, @LucknFate … So few contemporary actors really excite and surprise me. Sope is one of the few that keeps showing range, and, as you said, he does have a mysterious quality about him.

And I agree, most of our “candidates “ thus far have kind of shown their range, but Sope continues to prove he has more to share. I think it’s why Slow Horses nabbed him for S3; it’s the talent and excitement that he brings.

And many talk about the voice of whomever the new James Bond will be; has anyone heard this guy speak??? A great voice, deep and velvety smooth at the same time!! Have him whisper into the ear of any potential Bond Lady and watch the fireworks….
    I love Daniel Craig and I hated the fact that Bond was blonde for the last 17 years. I dislike James Bond to be different from his literary depiction. Daniel Craig had other physical features that reminded me of the literary description, his cruel mouth, his eyes, his likeness to Carmichael,… It would take a lightning to strike twice in the same place and be encapsulated in the very same bottle for me to like a James Bond played by, for example, Sope. And then I wouldn’t be completely happy about it, as I wasn’t for the last 17 years to tell you the truth. And this comes from someone who supported Craig from the start, despite not believing that he’s the second coming of Connery.

Craig had the help of a brilliant production upgrade and a brilliant script to begin with. But if they had him playing Bond in TWINE or in TND, or in SP and NTTD only, then we’d see different reactions all around. He had a lot going on for him. A lot worked for him, despite the narrative that all were against him, which was only valid for CR.

Another “different” James Bond would have to have a brilliant script, a superb director, and a killer production for him to work the same way Craig did.

Just my two cents, of course.
    Univex wrote: »
    I love Daniel Craig and I hated the fact that Bond was blonde for the last 17 years. I dislike James Bond to be different from his literary depiction. Daniel Craig had other physical features that reminded me of the literary description, his cruel mouth, his eyes, his likeness to Carmichael,… It would take a lightning to strike twice in the same place and be encapsulated in the very same bottle for me to like a James Bond played by, for example, Sope. And then I wouldn’t be completely happy about it, as I wasn’t for the last 17 years to tell you the truth. And this comes from someone who supported Craig from the start, despite not believing that he’s the second coming of Connery.

Craig had the help of a brilliant production upgrade and a brilliant script to begin with. But if they had him playing Bond in TWINE or in TND, or in SP and NTTD only, then we’d see different reactions all around. He had a lot going on for him. A lot worked for him, despite the narrative that all were against him, which was only valid for CR.

Another “different” James Bond would have to have a brilliant script, a superb director, and a killer production for him to work the same way Craig did.

That's a fair and sober take I can understand. It would certainly be different, and different can't be better for everybody. I think it's a credit to the franchise that there is so much potential, whether you stick to its roots and strict definitions, or choose to open it up to interpretation.
    LucknFate wrote: »
    Univex wrote: »

That's a fair and sober take I can understand. It would certainly be different, and different can't be better for everybody. I think it's a credit to the franchise that there is so much potential, whether you stick to its roots and strict definitions, or choose to open it up to interpretation.

I hear you, and I agree. But I’m afraid some popular sayings and cautionary tales are true, being it the goose with the golden eggs or Pandora’s box, … And we’ve had different. And it worked rather well. Maybe it’s time for something closer to the origin, aesthetically wise - talking about Bond himself here. GE was a perfect example of distiling what worked for the literary Bond and the cinematic Bond and putting the two together with no shame or guilt or doubt about their product. I say get back to that ethos, with no shame or guilt, and with a bang, horns blaring in the background, “were you expecting someone else?” kind of thing. But infused with the production quality we’ve come to know with the Craig era.
  • buddyoldchapbuddyoldchap Formerly known as JeremyBondon
    @MajorDSmythe @CommanderRoss @Univex @Mendes4Lyfe

Are all correct. Nope to Sope. I hope Nolan gets his wish, period Bond and a great white actor for Bond, per Fleming.