Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• peter wrote: »

I don’t think Craig being listed as #1 on a ranking like this is entirely unusual. But I do find it interesting that all the reasons the author listed Craig as #1 are the same reasons I can’t put Craig at that spot in my own rankings.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    peter wrote: »

I don’t think Craig being listed as #1 on a ranking like this is entirely unusual. But I do find it interesting that all the reasons the author listed Craig as #1 are the same reasons I can’t put Craig at that spot in my own rankings.

Obviously a very subjective list, so not right or wrong.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I just thought the article had some interesting observations about each of the actors.

I wouldn’t rank them in this fashion; especially the Moore ranking. And the Dalton one…..

But fair and interesting nonetheless.
  • Maybe not in this order but my top 3 is the same.
  • edited October 2023 Posts: 3,006

To be fair, it is increasingly common for casual viewers to say that Craig is their favourite Bond, even if Connery has that ‘OG’ status. Even Brosnan has his share of nostalgia.

Honestly, perhaps with the exception of Lazenby (and even then a good chuck of people rate his film/performance highly) I don’t think any Bond is disliked by a majority. We’re very lucky in that sense - despite my criticisms of individual films/scripts/performances, no actor has put in a detrimental performance to the series, and each are different while also being recognisably the same character.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    007HallY wrote: »

To be fair, it is increasingly common for casual viewers to say that Craig is their favourite Bond, even if Connery has that ‘OG’ status. Even Brosnan has his share of nostalgia.

Honestly, perhaps with the exception of Lazenby (and even then a good chuck of people rate his film/performance highly) I don’t think any Bond is disliked by a majority. We’re very lucky in that sense - despite my criticisms of individual films/scripts/performances, no actor has put in a detrimental performance to the series, and each are different while also being recognisably the same character.

I think members of this site may disagree with you.
    http://classicbond.com/forum/
    🤣🤣
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    edited October 2023 Posts: 2,526
    Venutius wrote: »
    Risico007 wrote: »
    ATJ an actor...so forgettable i forgot i saw him in two films…
    Have to 'fess, I'd seen The Wall twice and it was only when I watched it again last year that I realised/remembered that ATJ played the main character in it! :D Maybe that speaks to his skills as a character actor...er...maybe...

That's the thing though mate. I felt the same way at first and now I think it comes across as forgettable. He might disappear into his roles, but his characters disappear into the background too.

As for the rumours, I don't think it's done and I'm not even sure he'll be in the discussion given his lead role in a superhero film. What I do think goes in his favour is his career path is similar to Daniel's, other than perhaps ATJ hasn't shone as much an adult actor.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited October 2023 Posts: 2,943
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    He might disappear into his roles, but his characters disappear into the background too.
    Yeah, thinking about it, there's a lot of truth in that, actually. Which isn't something I noticed with Dan when he was at a similar point in his career - even before I really knew who he was there were several times in the late '90s or early '00s when he'd appear in something on telly and I'd think 'oh, that's him out of...' whatever. So Dan was obviously someone I'd taken note of at some level - which, going by The Wall, is the opposite of the effect ATJ's had, eh!

• The competition is slim.
  • I keep flip flopping on ATJ. He’s definitely a really good actor, loved him in Kick Ass. But Godzilla gave me a lot of doubt over his ability to carry a blockbuster like Bond. I know that was a fairly generic hero role, not as much to play with as Bond, but it doesn’t fill me with confidence that he couldn’t play that role in a way that kept my interest. There’s some actors who play nothing but generic heroes who I love watching, so I don’t think I can put all of the boredom I felt watching him down solely to the material and the disappointing death of Bryan Cranston at the beginning, even if he was hamstrung by those things. But then I recently watched Bullet Train, and I did think there was something about him in that one.

I dunno. If they did cast him I’d trust their judgement and I’d have faith in him pulling it off. And I think he’d be a noticeably different sort of Bond to Craig, which is the one thing we probably all do agree on, whether we liked his run or not it’s time to move on now. But he doesn’t really excite me like some of the other names that have been floated have, and I’m struggling to picture him doing anything particularly new or exciting with it. Could just be my lack of imagination though, because he is a good actor with a lot of range.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I dunno @thelivingroyale … I liked ATJ best in Kick Ass…. But as an adult actor he’s underwhelmed and almost slinks into the background, bland and not outstanding EXCEPT for Bullet Train, but there he just played a Guy Ritchie-knock-off, a cockney smart ass, which, while he was quite entertaining (the first time in a long time), I could also name any number of other actors who could have done just a good of job, if not better, in the same role.

Then there’s this Marvel film he’s in… It looks like ATJ returning to a blockbuster where he vanishes into blandness again.

I just don’t think he’s got the natural charisma to elevate and carry tent pole films. He may be just better as a supporting player….

I’d be shocked if he’s the guy.
  • NielsDKNielsDK Denmark
    Aidan Turner would have been nice.
    NielsDK wrote: »
    Aidan Turner would have been nice.
    Yes, he would have been nice. Probably better than nice.
    I dunno @thelivingroyale … I liked ATJ best in Kick Ass…. But as an adult actor he’s underwhelmed and almost slinks into the background, bland and not outstanding EXCEPT for Bullet Train, but there he just played a Guy Ritchie-knock-off, a cockney smart ass, which, while he was quite entertaining (the first time in a long time), I could also name any number of other actors who could have done just a good of job, if not better, in the same role.

Then there’s this Marvel film he’s in… It looks like ATJ returning to a blockbuster where he vanishes into blandness again.

I just don’t think he’s got the natural charisma to elevate and carry tent pole films. He may be just better as a supporting player….

Hopefully you’re not shocked
  • peterpeter Toronto
    talos7 wrote: »

@talos7 , I don’t think I will be, but if I am, I do have a basement….

…. I’ll retreat down there…..

…. put a metal pot over my head….

…. run in circles…..

…. bang this pot with a wooden spoon…..

…. I’ll get so dizzy, I’ll collapse with exhaustion and motion sickness.

This is the way I’ve always dealt with the shocks of life, and I ain’t gonna change any time soon! Plus, it gives my wife a break from me…….
    talos7 wrote: »

@talos7 , I don’t think I will be, but if I am, I do have a basement….

…. I’ll retreat down there…..

…. put a metal pot over my head….

…. run in circles…..

…. bang this pot with a wooden spoon…..

…. I’ll get so dizzy, I’ll collapse with exhaustion and motion sickness.

This is the way I’ve always dealt with the shocks of life, and I ain’t gonna change any time soon! Plus, it gives my wife a break from me…….

I thought that routine was exactly what we’ve been doing for the last 1106 pages, my friend ;)

I highly doubt it’s ATJ, but I don’t see any good candidates out there. Not under 40.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    To be honest I always try to remain open minded. It’s kind of an impossible exercise trying to pick who we think would or wouldn’t be a good James Bond candidate because until you actually see them in the role, it’s hard to fully know. Whether it’s ATJ, Sope or Aiden, either of them could change the mind of those unconvinced.
    It’s not going to be an established star , but it’s not going to be a complete unknown; whom is chosen we will likely have some awareness of who he is.
  • Denbigh wrote: »
    To be honest I always try to remain open minded. It’s kind of an impossible exercise trying to pick who we think would or wouldn’t be a good James Bond candidate because until you actually see them in the role, it’s hard to fully know. Whether it’s ATJ, Sope or Aiden, either of them could change the mind of those unconvinced.

That’s why I have no preferred candidate for the part. I don’t want to end up being disappointed over the final choice because it wasn’t someone whom I’ve been championing, so for me I’ve just resided myself to letting EON do their thing.
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    Okay, it's been a while since we've said who we think the most likely candidates are for the short list (not necessarily the ones you'd like, but those actors you feel Eon will like).

Sope Dirisu
    7PWnRbN.jpg
    Nicholas Hoult
    OmfeyEx.jpg
    Jack O'Connell
    cWLXred.jpg
    Paul Mescal
    PqCRppD.jpg
    Joe Alwyn
    RnaGVQ9.jpg
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I still think there's a chance Sam Claflin will (and should) be considered.

barbour-supa-beaufort-wax-mwx1691ny92-2.jpg
  • edited October 2023 Posts: 497
    @sandbagger1 There has been an Aaron-Taylor Johnson rumour every couple of months since last November yet he does not make your top 5 most likely candidates list? How come? I am asking that especially because most if not all of the 5 actors on your list have never even been rumoured.

On a different note, among the 5 actors you listed I personally like Nicholas Hoult and Joe Alwyn. I'm neutral on Jack O'Connell. And in my honest opinion Paul Mescal and Sope Dirisu would be disastrous as Bond.
  • edited October 2023 Posts: 3,006
    Okay, it's been a while since we've said who we think the most likely candidates are for the short list (not necessarily the ones you'd like, but those actors you feel Eon will like).

Sope Dirisu
    7PWnRbN.jpg
    Nicholas Hoult
    OmfeyEx.jpg
    Jack O'Connell
    cWLXred.jpg
    Paul Mescal
    PqCRppD.jpg
    Joe Alwyn
    RnaGVQ9.jpg

I think O’Connell and Dirisu are more likely than the others. Mescal’s becoming a bit too famous to realistically commit to the role and I don’t think Hoult’s that far behind. Not sure about Alwyn one way or the other.

I mean, without a script or an idea of what they want from this particular version of Bond it’s a bit tricky predicting this. But I’d be happy if O’Connell and/or Dirisu were considered. My instinct is ATJ is an early potential but doesn’t have the gravitas for the role and likely won’t actually audition anyway. I could always be wrong however.
    They are all too old, probably.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @denbigh, a director I'm working with directed Sam in Every Breath You Take... Very talented guy, but supposedly a great person on set.

I'm not sure if I see him as Bond, but he has the chops to pull off an interesting version of 007!
    @sandbagger1 There has been an Aaron-Taylor Johnson rumour every couple of months since last November yet he does not make your top 5 most likely candidates list? How come? I am asking that especially because most if not all of the 5 actors on your list have never even been rumoured.

On a different note, among the 5 actors you listed I personally like Nicholas Hoult and Joe Alwyn. I'm neutral on Jack O'Connell. And in my honest opinion Paul Mescal and Sope Dirisu would be disastrous as Bond.
    Oops, I actually intended to put him in, I had a photo and everything:
    v2I13MA.jpg
    He would have been at three or four, and I would have lost Mescal or Alwyn. Though I don't believe half the rumours, ATJ has links to Barbra Broccoli through his wife which I think gives him something of a foot in the door, though no more than that.

I have tended to ignore rumours as I think they're often just made up by the papers. I've looked at critical acclaim and experience rather than 'man of the moment' style rumours. For example, I've never seen Mescal in anything and think he looks like a footballer, but I look at the Oscar nomination and I think he has the kind of acting cred to be attractive to Eon. Alwyn I've seen in The Favourite, but he seems to be going the serious actor route similar to Craig, and I think that helps make him a strong possibility.

• edited October 2023 Posts: 6,677
    @denbigh, a director I'm working with directed Sam in Every Breath You Take... Very talented guy, but supposedly a great person on set.

I'm not sure if I see him as Bond, but he has the chops to pull off an interesting version of 007!

I’d actually prefer Sam to most of the actors on that list. There’s some finesse to him. And some sort of psychopatic intesity that works in the role rather well.

e308913afaf3033304aa80e8ab26dfad7ca4ace6.gif
    eea90c4397ca03386dc525d2abeb16ead38caaab.gif

Looks like Patrick Bateman there ;) Love the hair. Bond, in my book, would look like this :)

I’m tired of brutish thugs that look like bouncers from nightclubs, or young tattooed bearded fellas being tagged has possible Bond candidates. Give me a Claflin everyday of the week as James Bond.

And if he can scare Thomas Shelby, OBE, I’d say he can be James Bond ;)
    edited October 2023 Posts: 745
    007HallY wrote: »

Sope Dirisu
    7PWnRbN.jpg
    Nicholas Hoult
    OmfeyEx.jpg
    Jack O'Connell
    cWLXred.jpg
    Paul Mescal
    PqCRppD.jpg
    Joe Alwyn
    RnaGVQ9.jpg

I think O’Connell and Dirisu are more likely than the others. Mescal’s becoming a bit too famous to realistically commit to the role and I don’t think Hoult’s that far behind. Not sure about Alwyn one way or the other.

I mean, without a script or an idea of what they want from this particular version of Bond it’s a bit tricky predicting this. But I’d be happy if O’Connell and/or Dirisu were considered. My instinct is ATJ is an early potential but doesn’t have the gravitas for the role and likely won’t actually audition anyway. I could always be wrong however.

Hoult's been up for Batman and Superman, I think he'll get an audition for Bond too, but I think he'll lack that dangerous quality and will lose out once again. ATJ is a bit of a man-of-the-moment in the press, but I can't see him giving a stronger performance than Dirisu or O'Connell when it comes to an audition. I do doubt O'Connell's ability to come across as public school educated, and I think his lack of height might be an issue (but obviously they can do things about that on camera).

Alwyn was attached to play Sebastian Flyte in a new version of Brideshead Revisited, which I thought was a sign of a career gaining momentum, but the project seems to have stalled. Ralph Fiennes and Cate Blanchett would have been Lord and Lady Marchmain, and that would have been good company to be keeping in.