Hold on to your cup of black coffee and slice of cherry pie...'Twin Peaks' is back!

Comments

Once you know who did it the suspense is largely gone. They'd never do that these days. Lynch never wanted the reveal
    Getafix wrote: »
    Once you know who did it the suspense is largely gone. They'd never do that these days. Lynch never wanted the reveal

Oh right, when the studios forced him to reveal the killer. Yeah, that was a terrible move on the part of the execs. Lynch should have directed every episode too, then maybe all of the episodes would have been better overall.

• Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited May 2017 Posts: 8,083
    Lynch says he will never make another movie. "Inland Empire" from 2006 was his last.

What a way to finish.
  • TokolosheTokoloshe Under your bed
    Michael Parks, who played Jean Renault, died yesterday. The third TP actor to go this year after Miguel Ferrer and Warren Frost.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Tokoloshe wrote: »
    Michael Parks, who played Jean Renault, died yesterday. The third TP actor to go this year after Miguel Ferrer and Warren Frost.

I had forgotten that was him. Another fantastic performance.
  • Lynch’s notion – not necessarily Frost’s, it’s said – to never reveal the identity of the killer is intriguing, only using Laura’s murder as a MacGuffin to gradually reveal the weird and ominous underbelly of the seemingly idyllic small town and continually discover its secrets. He obviously believes the big reveal undid the narrative. “We had a little goose that was laying golden eggs, and they told us to snip its head off”, he has remarked and you can see his point.

From another point of view though, I suppose you might ask just where those golden eggs did go? Even as a fan, I would be hard-pressed to call any of the subplots introduced even in the first season terribly memorable and they all seemed rather exhausted by the start of the second. Frost has also commented that the lack of an event of similar impact to follow Laura’s murder hurt the show’s longevity. If the audience cling to the MacGuffin rather than the greater story it’s meant to facilitate, I would put some blame on the storyteller. The marketing catchphrase “Who killed Laura Palmer?” likely did not help, but had the unfolding larger narrative been found more compelling the demand for an answer might not have been so persisting. As the show’s ratings were slipping as early as partway through the first season I don’t think network pressure came entirely out of the blue, and the way things were going I doubt the show would have survived even if it had turned down demands to solve the murder mystery. Might well have made for an overall stronger second season, though. Ray Wise has commented he felt Twin Peaks was something never meant to last very long and I tend to agree.

That said, I'm looking forward to the third season. While revealing next to nothing, The Secret History of Twin Peaks does hint at the direction things might take and my curiosity is as piqued as my expectations are tempered. If nothing else, I will be happy to see the TV announcer who 26 years ago kind of knowingly seemed to make a point of empathizing we were about to see the last episode of Twin Peaks ever proven wrong. Not so smug anymore, I guess?
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    I've never watched the prequel film. Any good????
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    Now we are talking serious... This is happening again, friends:

• edited May 2017 Posts: 45
    suavejmf wrote: »

To quote Quentin Tarantino at the time: “After I saw Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me at Cannes, David Lynch had disappeared so far up his own ass that I have no desire to see another David Lynch movie until I hear something different. And you know, I loved him. I loved him."

Still, many hold Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me in high regard. The film is rather relentlessly bleak, pulling few punches in depicting the doomed Laura Palmer’s last days and driving home the horror the series somewhat glossed over. It’s far from an ingratiating watch, material in the vein of the series’ more playful, goofy moments were cut which likely contributed to the rather hostile reception that awaited the film. Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me also greatly expands on the series’ supernatural aspects such as the mythology of The Black Lodge and its denizens without clarifying much, adding bewilderment to the general sense of dread.

Personally, I find Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me flawed but ultimately more compelling and rewarding than good chunks of the actual series. If you made it through season two, I see little reason to sit the film out in anticipation of the revival.

To quote Quentin Tarantino at the time: “After I saw Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me at Cannes, David Lynch had disappeared so far up his own ass that I have no desire to see another David Lynch movie until I hear something different. And you know, I loved him. I loved him."

Still, many hold Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me in high regard. The film is rather relentlessly bleak, pulling few punches in depicting the doomed Laura Palmer’s last days and driving home the horror the series somewhat glossed over. It’s far from an ingratiating watch, material in the vein of the series’ more playful, goofy moments were cut which likely contributed to the rather hostile reception that awaited the film. Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me also greatly expands on the series’ supernatural aspects such as the mythology of The Black Lodge and its denizens without clarifying much, adding bewilderment to the general sense of dread.

Personally, I find Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me flawed but ultimately more compelling and rewarding than good chunks of the actual series. If you made it through season two, I see little reason to sit the film out in anticipation of the revival.

Thanks. I'm currently watching season 2 for the first time.....
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    I'm watching the original on Netflix now. Pretty odd show IMO
    Original and iconic though....
  • suavejmf wrote: »

You are welcome. Despite any misgivings about the second season, I envy you seeing it for the first time and I would recommend prioritizing that over the film in preparation for the revival. Should you find the time to see Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me as well it would be interesting to hear your opinion as it’s a divisive, curiously self-indulgent film. Nothing suggests the new season is about to ignore it either.

• ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Lynch has already said that FWWM will be very important to Season 3 and it seems that Sheryl Lee plays a big part so most likely that Laura Palmer is going to figure prominently.

I personally think that Fire is a flawed film but still has moments of Lynch's brilliance, it's a very different proposition to the series, much darker and without the trade mark warmth and quirkiness of the series.

The film though does have one of the best soundtracks of the last 30 years, Angelo and David just excel themselves here and the TV score was outstanding but they up their game even more here.

The inclusion of Jimmy Scott sung Under The Sycamore Tree is a real treat considering it's actually from the Season 2 finale, another example of how brilliant the climax and what we thought was the last ever episode of TP, that episode definitely shows the master had returned after the series had gone of the boil.

I know I remember thinking is that it when I saw it on original broadcast here in the UK on BBC2 but over the years have come to really appreciate, was quite divisive at the time, reminds me of the furore over The Soprano's ending, which I thought was a stroke of genius from David Chase, those expecting something more conventional obviously didn't understand the show they were watching, Chase's masterpiece was far more than just some gangster drama.

Incidentally I have proclaimed that TP changed TV and it took other shows sometime to catch up but Chase's show definitely showed it's influence, the dream sequence were very Lynchesque.

I'm hoping we'll get a balance of the FWWM tone with the quirky warmth of the series, McLachlan has said to get ready for something you've never seen on TV or film before. A bold claim but if anyone is capable of doing this I think it is Lynch & Frost.

I will be away in Southern Italy Puglia from Monday onwards till 26th so I will need to catch up on the first 2 episodes in time for the next 2 but I have Sky Atlantic so that won't be an issue, I can't wait, nothing will get near my anticipation for this, even if there was new Bond this year TP would still be my no. 1.

As someone who has been a fan ever since it was broadcast in the UK, I'd dreamed it might return but never actually thought it would be the case, it's a gift that I can't wait to unwrap.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    The FWWM soundtrack is one of very few that I have bought.
    One week to go until the Twin Peaks season 3 premier...

Just watching a season 2 episode of Star Trek: TNG The Dauphin a familiar face appears in the episode...

5412095636_a7b4095a6d.jpg
    One day to go...

ba7c289b5b50b14a282988d5d30a8d33.jpg
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    Tonight's the night... 27 years later

0UtbWGh.png
  • TheSharkFromJawsTheSharkFromJaws Amity Island Waters
    thumbs-up-header.jpg

• Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    edited May 2017 Posts: 2,721
    !!! SPOILERS !!!

'Fire Walk With Me' is one of my favourite films of all time. The emotional resonance of that story is incredible. Even though I enjoy them - horror films rarely work on me - this is an exception.

Sheryl Lee and Ray Wise put in powerful performances and FWWM shows what the series could only hint at. Not just graphically but also in depth of character. The film is a poignant depiction of the damaging cycle of abuse and one woman's determination to break it. The TV series never appeared to have this on its mind at the beginning - instead morphing into this realisation over episodes.

David Lynch - so derided when his prequel premiered at Cannes - has been validated as time has passed. Because Lynch understood where the true interest and power lay in the Twin Peaks story - with Laura and her journey. So it's little surprise that the oft-discussed ending of Season 2 involved her character once more. Sure it had a cliff hanger that seems to be more gimmicky than anything else - but the explanation of many of the red room elements are laid bare in Fire Walk With Me.

Watching the series, then FWWM, then pick up from Season 3 is the way to go.

I personally - am fizzing with excitement. I want my garmbonbozia.
    Ladies and gentlemen, please post your NON spoiler reviews of episode 1, season 3! :)
  • edited May 2017 Posts: 6,432
    The theme of opposites is prevalent once again.

The first four episodes appear to be on UK Sky and I have just started watching the two part opening... Its Happening Again.

Edited: Midway through the season premier this is very good.

Edited: My none spoiler review of the double episode premier... Its insanely brilliant, abstract and surreal. Great use of colour symbolism from Lynch, there is a uneasy balance between the quirky tone and dark which keeps the you transfixed. This could be the best season yet...

Episode three is blowing my mind.

Episode four
    Wally
    :))

The first four episodes are excellent for a multitude of reasons, I suspect I'll rewatch them a few times until episode five airs next week.
  • TokolosheTokoloshe Under your bed
    I'm hesitant to comment on anything other than our beloved Roger at the moment, but let's plough on with heavy hearts.

I was incredibly relieved to find Twin Peaks (2017) on the Showbox app, since I don't have the UK channel that shows it so was otherwise stuck for how to watch. Having seen the first four episodes I'm rather blown away with mixed emotions, but this stunning track from the end of the opening episode is worth pointing out:

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    The excitement for these new episodes is starting to kick my ass into gear with this show. Might have to finally give it another shot now, see what I'm missing.

You are welcome. Despite any misgivings about the second season, I envy you seeing it for the first time and I would recommend prioritizing that over the film in preparation for the revival. Should you find the time to see Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me as well it would be interesting to hear your opinion as it’s a divisive, curiously self-indulgent film. Nothing suggests the new season is about to ignore it either.

I watched FWWM. A different tone to the series and an almost pointless film. I like TP the series. But the film was self indulgent, odd and a tad boring much like many of Finch's films. I was disappointed as I really wanted to see the prequel. The odd cameos seems like marketing ploys as well.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Only watched the first 2 but quite blown away, no it's not the original TV series, this is a much more ambitious and nasty beast but if Peaks was coming back there was no point just doing a blue print of S1 & S2.
    It makes sense that Cooper's version of Bob is more underworld like as Bob has inhabited a talented and tenacious FBI agent not some small town lawyer of the local big wig and townsfolk.

This version appears have taken Cooper's abilities and used them to his advantage, he's not just a serial killer as he was in S1 & S2 he appears to be having a ball being this jet black evil underworld figure.

Yeah can't wait for more of this, I don't what I expected but this is more than sating my appetite at the moment.
    Shardlake wrote: »
    Only watched the first 2 but quite blown away, no it's not the original TV series, this is a much more ambitious and nasty beast but if Peaks was coming back there was no point just doing a blue print of S1 & S2.
    It makes sense that Cooper's version of Bob is more underworld like as Bob has inhabited a talented and tenacious FBI agent not some small town lawyer of the local big wig and townsfolk.

This version appears have taken Cooper's abilities and used them to his advantage, he's not just a serial killer as he was in S1 & S2 he appears to be having a ball being this jet black evil underworld figure.

Yeah can't wait for more of this, I don't what I expected but this is more than sating my appetite at the moment.

Very happy that they are doing something different from S1 and S2, wait till you see episode 3 of S3 it's Lynch with full licence to do what he wants.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    What are the reviews saying about this?
  • edited May 2017 Posts: 6,432
    I have listened to a number of Twin Peaks podcasts a common opinion is Season 3 is for the fans and Lynch is doing what he wants, I have watched the first four episodes and I love it though I am a big Lynch fan I love his work.