Hold on to your cup of black coffee and slice of cherry pie...'Twin Peaks' is back!

Comments

• edited June 2017 Posts: 2,598
    It's great that the reviews are generally positive. I haven't watched the latest episodes yet. They are there waiting for me to watch but I am still wondering if I should watch season 1 and 2 and Fire Walk With Me Again even though I've seen all the episodes three times and Fire Walk With Me five or six times. It has been around 5 years though. ;) If I do, I can at least savour the excitement for longer. This is what I do with the Bond books...as in holding off reading the latest one straight away. I still haven't watched the last half of season 7 of The Walking Dead; another show I love.

I'm glad the show has ventured outside of the town of Twin Peaks. I find this more exciting. I couldn't help watching some clips on You Tube. Looks fantastic. It's great that Lynch has been given the freedom to do what he wants otherwise it just wouldn't be pure Lynch and this would hinder my enjoyment somewhat.
  • edited June 2017 Posts: 6,432
    Bounine wrote: »
    It's great that the reviews are generally positive. I haven't watched the latest episodes yet. They are there waiting for me to watch but I am still wondering if I should watch season 1 and 2 and Fire Walk With Me Again even though I've seen all the episodes three times and Fire Walk With Me five or six times. It has been around 5 years though. ;) If I do, I can at least savour the excitement for longer. This is what I do with the Bond books...as in holding off reading the latest one straight away. I still haven't watched the last half of season 7 of The Walking Dead; another show I love.

I'm glad the show has ventured outside of the town of Twin Peaks. I find this more exciting. I couldn't help watching some clips on You Tube. Looks fantastic. It's great that Lynch has been given the freedom to do what he wants otherwise it just wouldn't be pure Lynch and this would hinder my enjoyment somewhat.

It's good to have the previous Twin Peaks series and film fresh in the memory, I am watching season one again at the moment in conjunction to season three just to see what I can cross reference. I would certainly rewatch Fire Walk with Me ;)

I am totally hooked on Twin Peaks again I must have listened to two dozen Season Three discussion podcasts.
  • edited June 2017 Posts: 2,598
    Yeah, seems like a good idea. :)
    Yeah, seems like a good idea. :)

Don't miss out on the current excitement for the show ;)
  • edited June 2017 Posts: 6,432
    5751850f6490babbb5887b76fcbeb451.png

Shovel your way out of shit!

Also the Dougie/Cooper coffee scene had me in stitches.
    :))

Twin Peaks season 3 episode 5 was hilarious.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    The least surreal episode yet and also the funniest,
    the bit with evil Cooper looking in the mirror and the teasing of Bob was spine tingling.

Not sure how long they can keep the Dougie thing going, Lynch is known for drip feeding things so who knows but so far I'm enjoying this.
    Shardlake wrote: »
    The least surreal episode yet and also the funniest,
    the bit with evil Cooper looking in the mirror and the teasing of Bob was spine tingling.

Not sure how long they can keep the Dougie thing going, Lynch is known for drip feeding things so who knows but so far I'm enjoying this.
    When Evil Cooper's face morphed into Bob was very effective, this show is brilliant no one but Lynch could make a show like this.
    Episode 7 was the best episode yet, some actual plot development and lots of old faces.
    Laura Dern was fantastic and Gordon and Albert are a great double act.

Loved the sweeping scene with Green Onions sound tracking it and the rather creepy phone call another member of the Renault family was having.

There is nothing like this on TV and I'm loving it.
    Has there been very little plot development in the previous episodes?
    Has there been very little plot development in the previous episodes?

I loved every minute so far but episode 7 was where things started to move along plot wise.

If you are a Lynch fan you know what to expect and I knew it wasn't going to be a re-tread of the old Twin Peaks.

While this recent episode has been the most straight forward it's still far removed from the Peaks of old.

Lynch has done it again, there really is nothing like Twin Peaks on television.
  • gumboltgumbolt Now with in-office photocopier
    I don't know whether I loved or hated the scene in Ep 7 with the sheriff talking to Doc Hayward on Skype. The monitor in the desk was straight out of Bond but the sheriff's two fingered typing was a neat observation. But with one or two scenes this season I have been left unsure as to whether the quirks are just a bit cheesy. And some of the acting in the first few episodes was a bit poor. But I'm enjoying the ride and very happy to have the show back. Still "event television" for me.
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    This has been the best TV of the year. Loving every episode and with its unpredictability, atmosphere and towering central performance(s) from Kyle Maclachan this is one hell of a ride. I'm awaiting every episode with excitement which I haven't done with a TV show since the days of Breaking Bad. Definitely the right idea to release it weekly rather than allowing binge watching like with Netflix.
    ...not that I've had any problem with lack of plot development when it comes to Lynch as there's so much else to appreciate.

Yeah, Breaking Bad was absolute quality in every way.
    edited June 2017 Posts: 4,043
    Not really sure what to say about episode 8.

Undiluted Lynch dialled up to 11, some are saying that it's like some student art project and I'm not entirely sure if I enjoyed it but this is clearly the film maker that gave us Eraserhead.

It was just too damn weird, quite frankly probably the strangest assault on senses in TV history for me to dismiss it.

I won't lie I am looking forward to coming back down to earth for episode 9 but there did seem some plot advancement hidden in there amongst that amazing B&W photography.
    I think we got an origin of Bob and also a hint about Laura being there to counteract his evil but then again it could be just Lynch fucking with us.

We'll be getting a break next week but after last weeks almost traditional form this just went off the cliff in comparison.

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Glad to hear this is nothing like that abysmal X-Files comeback anyway, although I have yet to see this.
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    Shardlake wrote: »
    Not really sure what to say about episode 8.

Undiluted Lynch dialled up to 11, some are saying that it's like some student art project and I'm not entirely sure if I enjoyed it but this is clearly the film maker that gave us Eraserhead.

It was just too damn weird, quite frankly probably the strangest assault on senses in TV history for me to dismiss it.

I won't lie I am looking forward to coming back down to earth for episode 9 but there did seem some plot advancement hidden in there amongst that amazing B&W photography.
    I think we got an origin of Bob and also a hint about Laura being there to counteract his evil but then again it could be just Lynch fucking with us.

We'll be getting a break next week but after last weeks almost traditional form this just went off the cliff in comparison.

I thought it was the most mesmerising television. Simply amazing. Plenty of mythos explained and expanded upon.
    Convenience Store, White Lodge, Creation of Bob
    . It was definitely an assault on the senses but in this time of plot heavy TV it's great to just absorb and meditate on artistic expression.
    I've watched some clips of episode 8 on you tube and they look amazing. For Lynch's work to be compared to a student art project is just down right insulting unless we're supposed to presume that this is one amazing student.
    Lynch certainly proved those wrong that thought he'd struggle to make the same kind of mark on TV he did with the original series.

I think this episode proves his vision is unique and while many obviously have been influenced by him there is no one quite like David Lynch.

"Gotta light"
    The new series is definitely a curiosity.

rr-15471r-07823872-6473-44f5-a31c-e6b9943d58df.jpg

Slowly the show seemed to become more coherent and nostalgic as it went by. Initial episodes really seemed to be more in keeping with Lynch’s latter cinematic work, with occasional pangs of the familiar. I rather enjoyed this approach, but there seemed to be deliberate occasions where Lynch was purposely trying to tease and even bore me.

Slowly the more familiar aspects of the show have fallen a little flat – Lynch’s comedic timing as a director is poor (all the police station scenes are dead on arrival). Having said that the FBI plot is brilliant, with Lynch proving surprisingly effective. Gordon Cole was nothing more than an irritating cartoon character in the original series (though he was never without his charms) but he’s worked fantastically in the new series. Also Miguel Ferrier is the stand-out of the new series – no one can deliver that cynical and hard-boiled dialogue quite like him. Laura Dern is also on scene-stealing form.

Though the lack of a clear and central mystery makes it hard to hang any of the more surreal aspects on to. In fact, the show is deliberately pulling in several different directions at any one time. Each episode wants to do something drastically different to the last – hich means the show is never not surprising. Though it often means that any questions raised are often left unanswered.

This is obviously a style Lynch has honed over the years, but over the course of 18 episodes and a number of weeks of speculation, it’s already getting frustrating. This style doesn’t really suit the weekly television model. For example, so many questions have been posed and I haven’t been given any real answers. Why haven’t I seen more of Shelly’s daughter? Is Bobby the father? Why haven’t I seen a scene between them yet? Instead I get to watch 3 minutes of a man sweeping up a club…..it’s getting a tad annoying.

Kyle MacLachlan is brilliant this series. He has a difficult task and is doing it so well. Though the less said about Dougie Jones, the better. God I’m bored of that shtick.

What has become clear about the new Twin Peaks is that it ain’t your old Twin Peaks….There is seriously no point tying to string together anything resembling narrative cohesion this time out. The show is best appreciated as an insight into the mind of David Lynch – a chance to escape into his world and saturate yourself in all it’s bizarre wonder.

The most recent episode was clear evidence of this. It has to be one of the more abstract, avant-garde and outwardly odd episodes of television ever. In many ways, the new Twin Peaks often feels like a show I expect to be playing in one of those small dark rooms in the Tate Modern. It often feels like a modern art piece than a TV show.
    Episode 8 was both fascinating and infuriating. The music performance was a misstep but the "gotta light" sequences and Evil Coop's scenes at the start were fantastic. I like a bit of Bob as well but I do hope that Episode 9 is more grounded. Then again, it could hardly not be. Could it?
    So Bob is there? My biggest disappointment was him being gone.
    They are using old footage and CGI to keep Bob in the show but he is more present in spirit (if you pardon the phrase) than with clear screen time. Even then, he still scares the living daylights out of me!
    I really hope I will get to see this season in the future.
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    David Lynch:

t6xyHJ2.jpg

There are lots of these in the new series. Absolutely great!

giphy.gif
  • TheSharkFromJawsTheSharkFromJaws Amity Island Waters
    Slowly the more familiar aspects of the show have fallen a little flat – Lynch’s comedic timing as a director is poor
    I don't think I could disagree more. Lynch's comedic sensibility has always been one of his most underrated aspects as a director and some of his work in the new TP shows it off brilliantly. I'd venture to say that there are very few as capable of pulling off dark humor as he is.
  • TheSharkFromJawsTheSharkFromJaws Amity Island Waters
    This has been the best TV of the year. Loving every episode and with its unpredictability, atmosphere and towering central performance(s) from Kyle Maclachan this is one hell of a ride. I'm awaiting every episode with excitement which I haven't done with a TV show since the days of Breaking Bad. Definitely the right idea to release it weekly rather than allowing binge watching like with Netflix.

This. Lynch has crafted an excruciatingly slow-burner that was built for weekly television. Every episode leaves me anxious for what's to come next. And leaving us with a 2 week break following that masterful episode 8 is killer. Gotta light?

I'm not afraid to call this season Lynch's Magnum Opus. And this is coming from someone who worships the likes of Blue Velvet and Mulholland Drive as among the greatest in cinema.
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    3x10

Rebeka del Rio: can't be any better than this...

Just popping in to say I'm really on board with The Return. I think it's been wonderful. This last episode was a barnburner, though it's hard to nail down any one episode as a standout, it's all flowed so well from one week to the next.
    A former Bond girl was in last nights episode, and she looked as amazing as ever!

That being said it was a very strange scene, but that's Twin Peaks for you.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    You have an enemy... in Douglas Jones!

Okay, I'm a fan of the third season. Darkly comedic, infused with some Mullholland Drive and Eraserhead and even Inland Empire, it comes with lots of surprises. E.g. I don't mind the Dougie stuff at all. I think it's great. Straining our patience? Perhaps. But also rewarding it I think. ;-)