Hold on to your cup of black coffee and slice of cherry pie...'Twin Peaks' is back!

Comments

I read Lynch never wanted to reveal Laura's killer at all and just wanted the show reveal the dark debauched underbelly of a seemingly normal town, I think season 3 may give Lynch and Frost greater freedom to do what they want.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Twin Peaks is the godfather of modern TV, try to think what it was like before Lynch introduced that cinematic element, everyone took a while to catch up.

X-files approached it at times, although it felt still quite TV like, TP was the precursor of what HBO did with television.

It's owed a great debt and makes me laugh when some websites can do a list of the most important and influential TV shows of all time and they put over long guff like Lost in but miss Peaks out.

Lost got a chance to become meandering and bloated, we complain about how S2 of TP went but the network cut it short before it could sort itself it out, Lost unfortunately never had that done to it.

The end of S2 made more sense than the lazy cop out nonsense that JJ & Lindelof left us with on Lost after going on for far too many seasons, still the worst ending to any show ever in my view.

My expectation for this is like no other TV show ever, I really don't what I'm going to get, I know I'm tremendously excited, until Lynch said that it was coming back I never thought it would happened, I hoped but never thought it would be the case.

• TokolosheTokoloshe Under your bed
    Bounine wrote: »
    To me, it won't seem quite right without the little fella. What physical and mental problems is he having?

http://www.tv3.ie/xpose/AMP/article/entertainment-news/213252/Jennifer-Lynch-defends-her-dad-after-Twin-Peaks-stars-Facebook-rant-goes-public
  • edited April 2017 Posts: 2,598
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Damn! I just found out that the show is being aired exclusively on a channel I don t have.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Might have to give this show a shot again in the near future. I think the reason I didn't care for it the first time was because I went into it expecting a straight-up murder mystery (to be fair, that was my mistake with a man like Lynch at the helm. Should've known that wouldn't be the case.)
    edited April 2017 Posts: 4,043
    The first seven episodes are television gold, the balance of the darkness, the warmth and the humour as rarely been bettered.

Kyle just knocks it out the park and the supporting cast are superb, the late Miguel Ferrier's Albert Rosenfield in the Laura autopsy scene shows the juxtaposing of the dark comedy and also the tragedy, you get a similar moment later in the story when Ed is telling his heartfelt story of how Nadine lost her eye and Albert is struggling not to corpse.

Peaks when on form leaves the majority of shows in the dust, Lynch & Frost informed the future of television onwards with this series.

The hope it can push the medium even further on it's return might be too much but my expectation for this won't be eclipsed by anything else this year.
  • So I got into Twin Peaks a couple of years ago. I bought the first season (loved it), survived through the second (thank god for that last episode) but I haven't seen the film Fire Walk With Me.
    Would any of you say it's necessary to see the film before the new season starts?
    You can t tell before you see the new season, can you?
    FWWM isn't essential viewing and overall I still find it disappointing, but if you get the chance then I'd say watch it just for completeness.
    It is probably the same as the X-Files movies. Not necessary, but gives a broader picture.
    united1878 wrote: »
    So I got into Twin Peaks a couple of years ago. I bought the first season (loved it), survived through the second (thank god for that last episode) but I haven't seen the film Fire Walk With Me.
    Would any of you say it's necessary to see the film before the new season starts?

I would say, yes, watch it before season 3 but after season 1and 2. I like FWWM. I think it's a good film.

Lynch has said that FWWM will pay a very important part in Season 3 so yes I would say watch it before you start viewing new series.
    I rate Fire Walk with Me Highly it strips away any superficiality and gets to the core of the horror that Laura is subjected too, it's very relevant IMO.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Looks like a really cozy place.
  • TheSharkFromJawsTheSharkFromJaws Amity Island Waters
    edited April 2017 Posts: 127
    I've never been so hyped for a TV series revival. May 21st can't get here soon enough. I hope they don't release any more trailers or previews than what we've seen. We should all go in completely blind.
  • edited April 2017 Posts: 2,081
    Damn! I just found out that the show is being aired exclusively on a channel I don t have.

Me neither. That seriously sucks in this case.

Watching the original series when it first aired was kind of magical and everybody was talking about it after each new episode. The only experience of its kind I've had with anything on tv ever.
    I read that no footage from the film whatsoever will be shown before the show is on the air.
    It's only a matter of weeks away, for this to just land with no trailers is just incredible, it just makes the anticipation even more so.

Going in entirely blind not knowing what to expect, when is the last time you could say that about anything on TV or the cinema?

Showbox app is your friend.
    http://welcometotwinpeaks.com/news/twin-peaks-teaser-agent-cooper-hawk-big-ed-characters/

Loving this teasing, just keep it coming like this, going in blind, this is going to be wondrous.
  • edited May 2017 Posts: 6,432
    The characters are so beloved by fans they don't need to give anything away, very happy with the marketing. There is a simulcast in UK and USA if I am not working I'll be awake at 2am to watch the premiere.
    This promo cuts to it, like I've said before Twin Peaks is godfather of modern TV shows and shaped why we have TV that puts the majority of cinema these days to shame.

http://welcometotwinpeaks.com/news/new-twin-peaks-golden-age-of-television/

I enjoyed listening to this guys' speculation regarding the missing characters.
    CrabKey wrote: »
    Yes, I heard the news on NPR yesterday. What a disappointment. I was hoping they'd be able to get it right this time. The first season was so moody and atmospheric, and then
    it went wildly off the rails. It should have been a one season show with the ending everyone was hoping for.

I think Lynch very much wanted it to be multi season and open ended. The network forced him to reveal the killer at the end of season one and that is largely what killed it. You should never find out who did it.
    Lynch says he will never make another movie. "Inland Empire" from 2006 was his last.
    Getafix wrote: »
    Yes, I heard the news on NPR yesterday. What a disappointment. I was hoping they'd be able to get it right this time. The first season was so moody and atmospheric, and then
    it went wildly off the rails. It should have been a one season show with the ending everyone was hoping for.

I think Lynch very much wanted it to be multi season and open ended. The network forced him to reveal the killer at the end of season one and that is largely what killed it. You should never find out who did it.

They didn't reveal the killer till a good few episodes into Season 2 but agreed the mystery was out the bag and the series struggled to get the momentum back.

It did sort of redeem itself with that last episode, never been anything as dark and weird on TV since, pure Lynch.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    I see the original is on Netflix. I need to check it out.
    Getafix wrote: »

Whats disappointing?