Hold on to your cup of black coffee and slice of cherry pie...'Twin Peaks' is back!

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited August 2017 Posts: 23,327
    I have just watched episode 12 of The Return took me a few seconds to realise
    Bernice Marlohe was the French lady with Cole, was a great scene.
    Audrys return scene was laboured and the last bar scene was also, I understand what Lynch is doing though the last part of this episode was the weakest of the whole season.
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    The Bond Girl:
    twinpeaks_sg_019-r.jpg

Let's remember that Monica Belluci will also appear sometime...
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    That scene was hilarious.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    ggl007 wrote: »
    The Bond Girl:
    twinpeaks_sg_019-r.jpg

Let's remember that Monica Belluci will also appear sometime...
    I think she should return as another Bond girl, Bernice could easily play a completely different character. Amazing woman
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    The thing about The Return is I can't say it hasn't lived up to expectations as I really didn't know what to expect.

Until that first episode was broadcast no one knew what was going to happen, how things were going to get dealt with.

Lynch & Frost were never going to go back to cosy old Twin Peaks Season 1 & 2 and I had a feeling the vibe of FWWM was going to be more along the lines of what we'd get that and Mullholland Drive.

That is not to say that the series has not had some lighter moments, there have been some funny bits as well.

I guess the whole Dougie thing could get tiresome for some and those wanting Cooper back but Lynch isn't going to give you what you expect he wants to subvert that.

This recent episode wasn't the best but I found nothing about Audrey's scene that like some on the net have said doesn't resemble the Audrey they recognise.

She's obviously gone under something quite traumatic and the fact there is no father to Johnny suggests Miss Horne despite her promise never went on to get out of the town and that must have made her quite bitter so the Audrey we are seeing now is the perfect approximation of what I would expect.

Only 6 episodes left and they've announced the final 2 will be broadcast September 3rd in the U.S and UK the 4th.

To think it will be all over in just over a month, seems like we waited for a long time for this, I've been on the whole very much enjoying it, it's very David Lynch rather than Twin Peaks but he was never going to take this down the easy route.

It's likely this will be his last big hurrah so a statement like that was never going to be going over old ground.

Episode 8 was like nothing we'd ever seen on TV before and I see before it's done we'll get more moments like that, how it all end who knows and although they are said to be giving it an end and answering questions.

Although I can't see it being something as infuriating as "how's Annie" I'm not expecting a comfortable resolution, I think the best thing is not have any expectations of how this will finish, just go with the flow, that is what I've been doing ever since it started again.
    Shardlake wrote: »
    The thing about The Return is I can't say it hasn't lived up to expectations as I really didn't know what to expect.

Until that first episode was broadcast no one knew what was going to happen, how things were going to get dealt with.

Lynch & Frost were never going to go back to cosy old Twin Peaks Season 1 & 2 and I had a feeling the vibe of FWWM was going to be more along the lines of what we'd get that and Mullholland Drive.

That is not to say that the series has not had some lighter moments, there have been some funny bits as well.

I guess the whole Dougie thing could get tiresome for some and those wanting Cooper back but Lynch isn't going to give you what you expect he wants to subvert that.

This recent episode wasn't the best but I found nothing about Audrey's scene that like some on the net have said doesn't resemble the Audrey they recognise.

She's obviously gone under something quite traumatic and the fact there is no father to Johnny suggests Miss Horne despite her promise never went on to get out of the town and that must have made her quite bitter so the Audrey we are seeing now is the perfect approximation of what I would expect.

Only 6 episodes left and they've announced the final 2 will be broadcast September 3rd in the U.S and UK the 4th.

To think it will be all over in just over a month, seems like we waited for a long time for this, I've been on the whole very much enjoying it, it's very David Lynch rather than Twin Peaks but he was never going to take this down the easy route.

It's likely this will be his last big hurrah so a statement like that was never going to be going over old ground.

Episode 8 was like nothing we'd ever seen on TV before and I see before it's done we'll get more moments like that, how it all end who knows and although they are said to be giving it an end and answering questions.

Although I can't see it being something as infuriating as "how's Annie" I'm not expecting a comfortable resolution, I think the best thing is not have any expectations of how this will finish, just go with the flow, that is what I've been doing ever since it started again.

Season 3 is my favourite though it could not exist without what proceeded it, Lynch has had full license to express his genius without restraint and the journey so far has been amazing. Gotta Light was phenomenal probably the greatest thing ever shown on TV.
    Twin Peaks The Return episode 14, Whoooa!! this show is totally unpredictable though due to a few things happening in this episode things have become apparent.
    Is Sarah Palmer The Doppelganger of the Arm or The Mother that Spawns the Evil eggs/Garmonbozia or The girl the Frog/Moth impregnated?
    20785753_465352307178187_299558621968393851_o.jpg?oh=8b10e593faaeb5c7b4f6230f824a6412&oe=5A2BEF1D
    :))
    I finally watched episode 1 and 2. What a treat to be able to see so much new work of Lynch's again, what with him not having made anything in a good while and having around another 16 hours to go. Great viewing. Absolutely Lynch. Quirky characters, great cinematography with his trademark POV's, the traditional rumbling sound that's been present in his work since Eraserhead and the wonderful suspense that just keeps building and building. Watching a new series of Twin Peaks is like reading all the Fleming Bond books for the first time. A fantastic, unique experience.

Bounine wrote: »
    I finally watched episode 1 and 2. What a treat to be able to see so much new work of Lynch's again, what with him not having made anything in a good while and having around another 16 hours to go. Great viewing. Absolutely Lynch. Quirky characters, great cinematography with his trademark POV's, the traditional rumbling sound that's been present in his work since Eraserhead and the wonderful suspense that just keeps building and building. Watching a new series of Twin Peaks is like reading all the Fleming Bond books for the first time. A fantastic, unique experience.

Just watched episode 15, I envy you just starting to watch The Return it's been one hell of a ride one of the very best TV experiences I have had.
    I put off watching them for a while in order to savour the excitement like I do with a new Bond book. :)
    I put off watching them for a while in order to savour the excitement like I do with a new Bond book. :)

I have rewatched them many times I can't say much though I'll definitely binge watch the whole series when it's over.

I have rewatched them many times I can't say much though I'll definitely binge watch the whole series when it's over.
    Same here, @Fire_and_Ice_Returns. Although not being able to binge it has definitely been a savory experience, and I'm glad they decided to release it week-to-week.

You're in for a real treat, @Bounine -- serve it to yourself in measured portions. ;)
    Strog wrote: »

Same here, @Fire_and_Ice_Returns. Although not being able to binge it has definitely been a savory experience, and I'm glad they decided to release it week-to-week.

You're in for a real treat, @Bounine -- serve it to yourself in measured portions. ;)

After each episode I listen to around a dozen podcasts discussing theorys, I have got very immersed in Twin Peaks again currently working my way through Secret History also.
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 2,598

Will do. :)

This series has been something extraordinary Lynch & Frost were never going to ape the original series but they are leading the pack again.

It will be interesting to see how many other film makers take a page from what they've done here, Twin Peaks the original series is the most influential show of the modern TV age.

Want to know how TV got to the point of eclipsing cinema on a regular basis, look no further it started here.

It's going to be a real experience to revisit this when the Blu ray gets released.
    I think the waiting for old Cooper to emerge will feel earned and that more special than having been in the majority of this series, Kyle has played a blinder with Dougie Coop and Dark Cooper.

The last episode is one of the best so far, I said it before I'm not feeling like it hasn't lived up to my expectations because I really didn't know what to expect.

The way Lynch & Frost with Showtime have kept this under wraps and not a shred of what it coming each week because no traditional trailers etc.

I wonder if this might influence other programs to be more secretive, you really go in each week not having an idea what is coming your way, it's unprecedented in this age of entertainment.
    21083053_1559692647403184_791108090359809621_o.jpg?oh=b83c8bba9bc264d414c76e69c3699436&oe=5A5D7891

#16 of The Return was brilliant, two episodes to go this has been an amazing journey.
    edited August 2017 Posts: 4,043
    Indeed it was, feels like the waiting has been worth it, it's like Lynch wanted us to earn it.
    Makes it that more special rather than dropping the old Dale Cooper a couple episodes in.

Seeing him back and then them using the theme as well for the first time apart from the credits put such a big smile on my face.

Nice to see the Audrey element look far more interesting then it originally appeared, looks like it's all coming to together and did Evil Coop admit to being Richard's Father?

The cherry on top was the musical guest at the Roadhouse, one Edward Louis Sverson III you might know him better as Eddie Vedder.

Just wonderful, the double bill finale is going to be such a treat, can't wait.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Can't wait for the finale. I'm so glad about what we got in the last episode.
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 684
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Can't wait for the finale. I'm so glad about what we got in the last episode.
    Agreed.
    Kyle didn't miss a beat as Coop. 25 years later, and it's like he stopped playing him yesterday. He's been marvelous on the whole this season. I hope he's recognized in some form for what he's done this year. The solo "Starring Kyle MacLachlan" credit at the end of each episode that precedes the rest of the cast is much deserved.
  • gumboltgumbolt Now with in-office photocopier
    Episode 16 was well worth the wait. I didn't expect to get a lump in my throat (not my thing) but I did when he said "I am the FBI". The final two episodes should be off the scale!
    Watched episode 3 last night. My only criticism is that I'm not entirely happy with some of the effects that look a little tacky to me like SpoilerCoop traveling through power outlets.Spolier
    Watched episode 3 last night. My only criticism is that I'm not entirely happy with some of the effects that look a little tacky to me like SpoilerCoop traveling through power outlets.Spolier

See it as abstract/surrealistic art... Enjoy the journey
    gumbolt wrote: »
    Episode 16 was well worth the wait. I didn't expect to get a lump in my throat (not my thing) but I did when he said "I am the FBI". The final two episodes should be off the scale!

I wish you had have put that in Spolier tags.

I watched episode 3 last night and I'm hooked. I only have one criticism so far and that's that I'm not entirely happy with the effects in some of the paranormal/science fiction type scenes. Some of it looks a little tacky to me like what you'd almost get from the 80's. I'm sure it was Lynch's intention but this approach doesn't entirely appeal to me. Other than this, it's all fantastic stuff. It doesn't feel much like Twin Peaks for obvious reasons but this is no issue for me.
    That sucks

See it as abstract/surrealistic art... Enjoy the journey

I did think about that afterwards. :)

How do you use spoiler tags again? I messed up too.

The question mark that is far right above the text box :)
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 684
    I only have one criticism so far and that's that I'm not entirely happy with the effects in some of the paranormal/science fiction type scenes. Some of it looks a little tacky to me like what you'd almost get from the 80's. I'm sure it was Lynch's intention but this approach doesn't entirely appeal to me.
    @Bounine I get where you're coming from, but I love it!

I see it as Lynch using his medium. In the sense that film is more like a dream than reality, anyhow. I hate special effects that try and look real; that's when they look most fake. 'Cinema reality' matters more to me than naturalism.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    SpoilerCoop

Who is SpoilerCoop?
    SpoilerCoop

Who is SpoilerCoop?

I thought I remembered how to use spoiler tags. I thought I had erased that post.
    I only have one criticism so far and that's that I'm not entirely happy with the effects in some of the paranormal/science fiction type scenes. Some of it looks a little tacky to me like what you'd almost get from the 80's. I'm sure it was Lynch's intention but this approach doesn't entirely appeal to me.
    @Bounine I get where you're coming from, but I love it!

I see it as Lynch using his medium. In the sense that film is more like a dream than reality, anyhow. I hate special effects that try and look real; that's when they look most fake. 'Cinema reality' matters more to me than naturalism.

That's an interesting point and who's to say that in this other world that it necessarily looks realistic anyway. :) I wasn't really suggesting that it should look necessarily realistic but I think I would have preferred a different style. The box scene in episode one or two is great. It's just the odd thing I don't like as much like the visuals regarding Coops traveling.