After Bond 24 hits cinemas, I figured it'd be great to look back and see what developments were made, and when. The original post will be updated with events as they happen, and will open discussion for predictions.
What I will be leaving out from this thread altogether:
-Images that are not promotional and/or contain spoilers
-Videos that are not promotional and/or contain spoilers
-Descriptions that are not promotional
-Plot spoilers / twists
What I will classify as Potential Spoilers from here on out:
-Set photos w/o spoilers
-Set videos w/o spoilers
-Photos of cast members on location / on set
ANY POSTS THAT INCLUDE SPOILERS OR LINKS TO SPOILERS WILL BE FLAGGED IF NOT PROPERLY USING THE SPOILER FEATURE. THEY MAY BE POSTED, BUT WILL NOT BE INCLUDED IN THE TIMELINE AND SHOULD NOT INTERFERE WITH NORMAL DISCUSSION.
POTENTIAL SPOILERS BELOW
September of 2012
- It is confirmed that Daniel Craig is contracted for 2 more Bond films.
October of 2012
- Anderson Cooper reveals pre-production for B24 has already begun.
- Daily Mail reports John Logan will script Bond 24 & 25 without Purvis and Wade.
- Daniel Craig tells MI6 that a plot for Bond 24 has already been developed. (MI6 Confidential issue #18)
- It is reported that Bond 24 & 25 will share a story arc.
November of 2012
- Purvis and Wade spark rumor that Mendes will return for B24.
December of 2012
- Daniel Craig's role in The Monuments Men is set to release Dec. 20, 2013, opening his schedule for start on B24 in late 2013.
- Mendes declines having any commitment to B24 so far.
- Skyfall reached $1Billion Worldwide; incentive to hurry production on B24.
- Actress Andrée Bernard is rumored to be involved.
January of 2013
- The Sunday People report that Craig wants Adele and Mendes to return for B24.
- Sam Mendes is announced to start production on TV drama 'Penny Dreadful' in late 2013, conflicting with a B24 schedule set for a 2014 release.
- Baz Bamigboye reports Bond producers want Mendes back for B24, production to start sometime 2014.
- The Hollywood Reporter reports Daniel Craig may be written out of the final two Millennium films due to a request for a bigger paycheck.
February of 2013
- Dennis Gassner is confirmed to return for Bond 24 after receiving the Best Contemporary Film Design Award for Skyfall.
- Rooney Mara denies rumors that Craig won't return for next 'Dragon Tattoo' sequel; hints at no plans to complete the sequel before 2015 though.
- Broccoli claims to still be trying to convince Mendes to return for B24.
- Gassner states in an interview that he's been asked by producers Michael Wilson and Barbara Broccoli to return a third time next year  to begin work on "Bond 24," with or without Mendes.
- At the BAFTA's, Mendes continues to tell the press he has 'not ruled out' doing B24.
- Baz Bamigboye reports that Mendes has seen two possible outlines for B24, and is '75%' towards signing on.
- Ben Whishaw confirms he will be 'working with Craig' again in '10 months', meaning Bond 24 would be shooting by January 2014.
- Naomi Harris is quoted in a podcast as saying she "thinks" B24 will start shooting "next year", but is not specific to early or late 2014.
- Skyfall wins 'Outstanding British Film' to open the BAFTA awards.
- Adele wins Oscar for 'Best Original Song', rumors start that she will return for Bond 24.
March of 2013
- Daniel Craig drops out of Monuments Men due to scheduling.
- 007.com confirms Sam Mendes will not return for Bond 24.
- BBC News, while reporting on Mendes' departure, quotes Logan as saying the script is "coming together very well" (the week of March 6th).
- Mendes' departure points to a 2013 production start, 2014 release date.
- Guy Ritchie, Ang Lee, and Martin Campbell are noted by media as being the three 'favorites' for Bond 24 after Mendes' departure.
- John Logan is reported as saying that B24 will once again explore Bond's human side.
- The producers tell the media they have no one in mind to direct Bond 24, and are "getting their breath" after Mendes' departure.
- Danny Boyle, director of the opening Olympic ceremony short featuring Craig as Bond, repeated that he wouldn't be comfortable with the scope of a Bond film, and isn't interested in directing Bond 24. (source: JamesBondBrasil.com)
- John Logan confirms himself that he will be returning for Bond 24 and Bond 25.
- An MI6 article reveals that Ben Whishaw hinted that Q may get some fieldwork for B24 in an interview about his 'Peter And Alice' play with John Logan.
- An MGM conference call reveals Bond 24 will be released withing 'the next 3 years'.
- The call also reveals that a director will be signed and announced 'soon'.
- The Daily Mail reports Craig will start production on Bond 24 in early 2014, after his run in the play 'Betrayal'.
May of 2013
- Michael G. Wilson reports multiple directors have turned down B24, but may be misdirection.
- Ben Whishaw, at the 2013 Television BAFTA Awards, has stated he thought B24 would start as soon as late 2014, but can no longer be sure.
- Christopher Nolan reported to be 'in talks' with the Bond producers, but unclear if for Bond 24 due to his current involvement on 2014's 'Intersteller'.
- Following the close of the Cannes Film Festival, rumors fly of Nicolas Winding Refn, Ang Lee, Tom Hooper, and David Yates all being in talks to direct B24.
- Deadline reports Mendes is almost closed in talks to return for B24, in the midst of rumors claiming other directors are in talks.
- Multiple sources come out and claim it is all but officially confirmed that Mendes will return for B24.
- Yet another director rumor springs up after 'Headhunters' director Morten Tyldum says he has spoken with the Bond producers and is considering.
- A spec script is assumed to be done, with many plausible directors being asked to 'read a script'.
June of 2013
- The Daily Mail reports that Penelope Cruz is set to star as the oldest Bond girl, at 40, in B24, and that shooting will begin summer 2014, but is likely attempting to stir rumors.
- Cruz's people deny any involvement by the star in B24, and haven't been approached. The star is also expecting her second child, and likely wont work for many months following the birth.
- In an interview with The Stage, Sam Mendes mentions he is considering directing Bond 24, and will have made a decision after the premier of his play, Charlie And The Chocolate Factory in late June.
July of 2013
- The official 007 Twitter page confirms Sam Mendes will return for a Oct. 23/Nov. 6 2015 release date.
- The Sun deceivingly claims Bond 24 will be titled 'Devil May Care' based on no evidence or sources. Also claims B24 may be Craig's last, even though he is contracted through B25.
August of 2013
- Craig claims he wants some of the spirit and 'old irony' from earlier releases to return to the franchise, but it's difficult for him to do.
September of 2013
- B24's biggest US opening day competition, Ant Man
, moves its release to July 31st from November 6th, currently leaving only the Peanuts
film as direct competition.
- It is rumored that Marvel's Ant Man
moved out of November and up to July to make room for the seventh Star Wars
film, causing huge opening day box office competition.
- Unusually reliable tabloid writer Baz Bamigboye reports that Naomi Harris' Moneypenny will have more screen time and be involved in more action in B24 than the character's previous installments in the franchise.
- Broccoli and Logan attended an event supporting the Irish Film Industry, and Logan commented he will be spending time in Ireland working on his and Mendes' TV-Series Penny Dreadful
(based in Ireland) and the B24 script, in which he may feature the country as a location.
- B24 is said to shoot at Pinewood "in 2014" according to Deadline.
October of 2013
- The film reaches one year of confirmed pre-production.
- The Huffington Post publishes a rumor that Helen Flanagan and/or Kate Upton are up for a role in Bond 24.
November of 2013
- Eon announces it has finally acquired all looming rights to the McClory Estate's holdings on Blofeld and the Bond franchise, opening speculation to a return of Blofeld in a future cannon Bond film.
- Naomi Harris, Ben Whishaw, and Ralph Fiennes have all casually confirmed their return in B24.
- Sony announces it will focus less on its films, releasing fewer and tightening budgets which may effect B24. It also plans a 'One Sony'
strategy using the properties it owns to promote one another, speculating Adele or another Sony artist may perform for the title sequence.
December of 2013
- Naomi Harris says she is apprehensive towards intense training for even more involving action in B24, but may simply be joking along with a vague question from the interviewer.
- The Hollywood Reporter states in an article featuring Ralph Fiennes that shooting for B24 will begin in October of 2014.
January of 2014
website makes a casual comment that Japan is a rumored location for B24 in a list of possible/desired locations.
- John Logan states in an interview that many of the themes and characters from Skyfall will carry over into the next film, perhaps sealing a departure from the 'Quantum Double-Feature'.
February of 2014
- Rory Kinnear confirms he will return in B24, and has had conversation with writer John Logan on the direction of the film. (Found via @MI6)
- Roger Deakins announced he will not be returning for the next film. He stated it will be very much an extension of Skyfall and he didn't see what more he could do.
- Ralph Fiennes re-confirms an October/November 2014 start for principle photography.
March of 2014
- John Logan speaks to Empire Magazine about his excitement for Bond 24 and hesitates to deny the possibility of the Quantum organization returning and possibility featuring another 00 Agent.
- It is widely reported that John Logan is almost finished with the first draft, only 6 months from principle photography.
updates it's Bond 24 Production Page
, and lists David Arnold as the "expected" composer rather than Thomas Newman, who seemed to be the obvious choice with the return of Sam Mendes and his Oscar nominated Skyfall score.
- Contact Music
website claims Adele hasn't responded to the B24 production team's request for her to return for another theme song.
-Producers Barbara Broccoli and Michael G. Wilson speak at the opening of the Bond In Motion exhibit in London confirming that filming will begin at the end of 2014 and a villain will be decided within a 'couple of months.' (via @marketto007)
-Producers Barbara Broccoli and Michael G. Wilson speak at the opening of the Bond in Motion exhibit in London, confirming that a 'never before seen' (page 108)
Aston Martin will appear in the next film.
-A poor phony hoax teaser photoshops Craig convincingly enough to spawn a wave of coverage from sites claiming the trailer is real and the B24 title is 'Come And Dive'.
April of 2014
claims that Sam Mendes is scouting for locations in between previews of his new play, Cabaret.
that Chiwetel Ejiofor is the frontrunner to play the villain in B24 (page 114)
, and that the production team is scouting for a Scandinavian and a British woman to play Bond girls.
-Danjaq and MGM file a lawsuit against Universal Pictures' spy project Section 6
, claiming the film features "a daring, tuxedo-clad British secret agent, employed by 'His Majesty's Secret Service,' with a 'license to kill,' and a 00 secret agent number on a mission to save England from the diabolical plot of a megalomaniac villain...
" and wishes to cease production of the film due to similar elements to the James Bond franchise.
-Daniel Craig left the production of The Whole Truth
, set to be his only film between Skyfall and B24, for unknown reasons causing production of the lawyer drama to be halted.
-Penelope Cruz rumors resurface after Sony France leaks a release schedule
of their upcoming films including Cruz as part of the B24 cast. The page is cited as 'Printed April 2, 2014'
. It is unclear whether the list is fake, or if the list has yet to be updated from previous rumors or plans.
-Penelope Cruz and her team of people announce on several mediums that she has not been approached for a role in B24, and can not imagine how such a rumor started or why her name was on a company document.
-Sam Mendes says many of the "story themes
" from Skyfall (we can infer 'Old vs. New', 007's relevancy) will continue into Bond 24.
May of 2014
-It is reconfirmed that B24 will begin filming October
-Norwegian actress, Synnøve Macody Lund, confirms she has screen tested for B24 and met with Sam Mendes at Pinewood studios. The article
mentions there were 8 actresses testing for the role. (Two more
-Sam Mendes reports that Bond 24 is still in the final writing stages, ensuring there are no 'holes in the boat
' before shooting begins.
-The Daily Star
claims that Joanne Froggatt of Downton Abbey fame has been approached for B24.
June of 2014
-Kevin Spacey adamantly denies
any Bond 24 roles being offered to him.
-Roger Deakins, who was Cinematographer on the digitally shot Skyfall, mentioned on his blog that Bond 24 will be shot on film
, though he won't be returning as Cinematographer.
-The licensing font for Bond 24 revealed at the 2014 Licensing Expo shows the 'crumbled' font effect will not be used as it was with Skyfall.
-John Logan stated in an interview
that he is growing less interested in big films like Bond and more interested in theater and television.
-In a somewhat surprising turn of events, Neal Purvis and Robert Wade will be rewriting John Logan's script to add more 'punch
' and focus on witty interplay between key characters.
-Filming delayed until December 2014.
-Second Unit Director on Skyfall Alexander Witt
returns for Bond 24.
July of 2014
-Tom Ford is said to have already re-fitted Daniel Craig, and will be returning for Bond 24.
-Stunt Coordinator Gary Powell confirms he will be returning in an interview
, also teasing that B24 will be Sam Mendes 'jumping into the deep end'.
-Visual Effect Supervisor Steven Begg
, who worked on Casino Royale and Skyfall, will be returning for production.
-First Assistant Director on Quantum Of Solace and Skyfall, Michael Lerman
, will also be returning.
-Stunt Coordinator Gary Powell's Instagram account features photos
of him and key members of the production crew visiting Rome, Morocco, and Austria, possibly for location scouting.
-More reports claim that there will be an Aston Martin chase
through the streets of Rome, Italy.
-Another Scandinavian actress, Isabel Edvardsson, is rumored by many German news sources to be in contention for the minor Bond girl role for Bond 24 in an article
August of 2014
-Baz Bamigboye reports
that the rewrite is substantially different than Logan's original submission. Everyone involved excited to begin filming. It is also reported that Mendes practically begged Purvis & Wade to return after having 'a lot of making up to do.'
-A Norwegian article
claims that a group of islands in Norway were being considered for filming, but were scrapped after the Purvis & Wade rewrite. The article claims some negotiations are under way to still film in the country.
-More rumors (page 196)
of the Austrian Alps surface after plans for Norway were scrapped.
-David Arnold tweets
to user @marketto007
"as it's Sam Mendes again it'll be Tom Newman too
" when asked about his possible return for Bond 24.
reports that Daniel Craig will take to the slopes for a skiing sequence.
-The latest throwaway Bond girl rumor
is that Lea Seydoux, of Mission: Impossible Ghost Protocol fame, may play opposite Craig in Bond 24.
-A German publication
claims that a ski sequence is set to shoot in Obertillach, Austria in a production-built village. Daniel Craig will be a part of the shoot for 3 days in January.
-The Knowledge further reports rumors
of a skiing sequence, and claims the first day of filming for Bond 24 is December 1st, 2014.
-The market town of Osttirol
in Austria is considered for one of the snowy locations for Bond 24, according to the Salzburger Nachrichten
-James Bond Radio reports that Debbie McWilliams, Casting Director for Bond 24, sent out a casting call for "an imposing extremely physically fit actor"
around the height of 6'2" with a very unusual appearance to play the role of an iconic henchman.
September of 2014
-Baz Bamigboye reports that principle photography on Bond 24 will begin December 6th, 2014, following a full cast read-along of the script in late November. Expect the press conference to fall between late November and December 6th.
reports that Hoyte van Hoytema has indeed been tipped as the next cinematographer for Bond 24.
-Skyfall Sound Editor Per Hallberg returns
for Bond 24.
-Previously rumored English actress Joanne Froggat dodges questioning
of a Bond 24 screentest.
-Morocco has been confirmed as a loctation for Bond 24, and shooting is to take place for ~15 days, via MI6
-Hotel accommodations and set construction confirm Obertilliach as a shooting location, and rumors are
that it may double for Norway.
that there may be a plane crash sequence filmed in an Austrian location, which was later elaborated on with details of two planes
being used for filming.
-Actor Mark Strong has appeared in multiple photos
alongside Daniel Craig in Morocco, while the Bond actor is location scouting. Rumors of Strong's involvement with the production are unsubstantiated, and he is currently part of a film shoot in Northern Africa.
October of 2014
-A photo of a sign on a door reading 'B 24 Casting Office' at Cinecittà studios in Rome is revealed on Twitter
-MI6HQ reveals more set photos
the Austrian location.
-Sorrento Press reports that Bond 24 will film 'the most spectacular
' scenes at the Royal Palace of Caserta in Italy.
-Baz Bamigboye reports that Lea Seydoux is confirmed
for shooting, as well as the production scouting for 'heavies' in Rome. Apparently the previous Scandinavian role has been altered for Seydoux's French nationality.
-Lee Smith has been confirmed as the editor for Bond 24. His work is most recognizable in the films of Christopher Nolan.
-James Bond Club France confirmed with Sony that Lea Seydoux is indeed cast in Bond 24.
-Latino Reveiw claims that Dave Bautista has bagged the role
of the 'iconic' henchman the production was scouting for.
-Chris Corbould, Special Effects Coordinator, confirms his involvement with Bond 24 on Twitter
-Mark Strong explains that a recent hiking trip with Daniel Craig was coincidental, and he is not in contention for a role in Bond 24.
November of 2014
-Jez Butterworth, Screenwriter of Edge of Tomorrow, has been brought on to touch up
the Bond 24 script. He previously did similar work on Skyfall.
-Adele is rumored again to be the singer of the main theme for Bond 24, but it has been reported that she introduced the Bond team to FKA Twigs to do work on the next
film as well. She may team up with Adele on the main theme, or feature elsewhere in the film.
-Baz Bamigboye claims that Christoph Waltz has been cast
, but his role is at first not apparent to be an ally or villain.
-Baz Bamigboye also confirms Mexico as an additional location.
-The Daily Mail claims that Christoph Waltz will play Franz Oberhauser, son of Hans Overhauser who was a ski instructor and father figure to Bond. The article goes to claim that the name is a falsehood, and Waltz will be a new characterization
of a classic Bond villain.
-Multiple sources claim there will be a dramatic car chase at night through the streets of Rome, and it will feature a Fiat 500. Some claim Craig will be piloting
the small car and others say it will simply be involved in the chase.
confirms that there will be no press conference. Instead the cast and main crew will appear for a photo opportunity.
December of 2014
-The official press release will be held on December 4th, 2014 at 10:50 A.M. London time.
-Typically reliable Deadline.com
reports that actress Monica Bellucci "may be in the mix" for a Bond girl role.
-Just before the press release, rumors claim that Sherlock-famed actor Andrew Scott is in contention
for a villainous role in Bond 24.
-Bond 24's title is confirmed to be SPECTRE.
-Sam Mendes introduces the all-new Aston Martin DB10, which will feature exclusively in the new film and will not be produced for sale.
-The full cast is introduced at the press anouncment including: Daniel Craig as James Bond, Christoph Waltz as Franz Oberhauser, Léa Seydoux as Madeleine Swann, Monica Bellucci as Lucia Sciarra, Andrew Scott as Denbigh, Dave Bautista as Mr. Hinx, Ralph Fiennes as M, Naomie Harris as Miss Moneypenny, Ben Whishaw as Q, and Rory Kinnear as Bill Tanner.
-Jesper Christenson confirms his character, Mr. White, will return in SPECTRE.
-The official plot synopsis for the film is: "A cryptic message from an unlikely source sets James Bond navigating the layers of a sinister organisation known as SPECTRE. As M continues fighting political pressures that threaten the future of MI6, Bond draws closer to uncovering a hidden truth that threatens to destroy everything he has fought to protect."
-Ben Whishaw claims that the artist for SPECTRE's title song has already been chosen.
-Thomas Newman is confirmed by Sam Mendes to be returning after scoring Skyfall.
I may come back to it. Never hurts to recycle ;)
I've decided to keep an updated list on the major progress for Bond 24.
@Sam, I know your good at remembering when we usually get trailers and such, so what can we expect?
On QOS and the PB movies the directors weren't officially on the project till the summer. However, on CR and SF; both directors were hired with at least a year (if not longer) before tackling their respective films. The reactions to the PB moves and QOS were far from overwhelming especially when compared to CR and SF, so I really hope that the prods hire someone soon-ish.
Despite what many seem to think the Bond movies are director led, so it makes sense to hire them early therefore allowing a filmmaker to develop the project organically. Plus the Craig films have stuck to hiring auter-type directors with the appointment of Forster and Mendes, it would be foolish now for them to hire a journeyman, except of course if that man is Martin Campbell.
I agree with you. I figure they'll want it out by 2014, based off of how much money SF made. Plus, I really want to get back on the one-film-every-other-year pattern. But, if they need the three years to ship out an incredible film that isn't going to be rushed or convoluted, then by all means, take your time.
It's just the same for video games that get delayed: the more delays, the more time they have to work on the product. Granted, this doesn't always involve a beautiful, flawless product, but it's always a high possibility.
Do we think it's relevant?
I also added the note that Craig's role in George Clooney's The Monuments Men will finish production mid 2013, and open December 2013. This perfectly sets Craig up to begin fall production on Bond 24, and raising hype during the premiers for TMM.
That's a pretty broad, clueless statement. You don't know that; you may think that's the case, but you have absolutely zero idea of how 'Bond 24' will turn out, if it is released next year.
Logan submitted his scripts in August. In August. Who's to say they haven't approved it? How do you know? They could be preparing final drafts, looking for a director or even have one by now, and working on scheduling production!
How do you know that the work will start next year? Many sources has already said that Logan delivered his script in August.
Again...how do you know it's going to be bad? You don't. You may THINK it will be bad, based off of crazed logic, but you absolutely do not know if it will be bad or not.
I, too, have read that the script was delivered in August. As @JWESTBROOK stated, a final draft could be finished with a director already lined up. Craig's schedule is looking fine for a start next year, too.
And if that was the case, why consider yourself a big enough Bond fan to sign up (and post on) a site dedicated to James Bond? Just leave; no need to keep your negativity here.
that said looking forward to bond in 2014
I also added at the bottom the speculation that Andree Bernard is part of the cast.
Also added that B24 & B25 may share a story arc, and changed the layout of the list for a more general, but still consecutive structure.
Do we think these should stay? Or should we wait for confirmation?
October 2012 - Daniel Craig tells MI6 that a plot for Bond 24 has already been developed. (MI6 Confidential issue #18)
Oh how wrong you are. Just look at the early Bond films (DN, FRWL, GF and TB). All done back to back to back to back, and all exceptional. It all depends on the talent and vigilance on a film set when a film is being constructed. Not every production timeline is common to all, where some strive to finish fast, others requiring more time. We simply don't know enough information to classify Bond 24 in regards to their timeline.