Rest In Peace, show your respects to those who have passed away.

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Unbelievably sorry to hear that, @Baltimore_007. Like we told Murdock, we're all here for you with anything you need. You're in my thoughts, and you have my condolences.
    I'm deeply sorry for your lost, @Baltimore_007. I give my condolences to you and your family.
    @Baltimore_007 my condolences
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    So sorry to read of your loss @Baltimore_OO7 , my thoughts are with you and your family at this time.
    I know there are many of us here who have suffered the loss of a close family member or loved one. I'm sure there are many members, including myself that are here for you should you just want to talk or have a shoulder to cry on.
  • Thank you to all those that offered condolences at this difficult time

I still can't believe it - or just haven't accepted it. The force of things hasn't hit me of yet and I'm scared about when the actual time arrives. I may indeed need someone to talk to in due course on here, other than the bereavement services I have called today

I feel so similar to @Murdock today after his recent loss, but as with all things, time will heal the scars, but this is the worst time for anyone imaginable. I'll try to participate a little more, if only to take the mind away from events. Thank you again to those that offered sympathies

• QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    So sorry to hear this, @Baltimore_007. You and your family have my condolences. Stay strong, and remember to celebrate your father's life and the good times you shared together.
  • Very sorry to hear that @Baltimore_007. RIP.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited November 2013 Posts: 17,813
    Sorry to hear of your father's recent death, @Baltimore_007. I've been through that myself so I am empathise with what you're going through and I'm on hand via PM if you want any help, support or just someone to talk to. You're not alone, just wanted you to know that, friend.

--Dragonpol.
  • edited November 2013 Posts: 6,396
    It's 50 years today since the assassination of JFK. No doubt our American friends can tell us how their country is marking this anniversary. Incidentally, the day after Kennedy was shot, Dr Who made its debut on BBC television.
    It's 50 years today since the assassination of JFK. No doubt our American friends can tell us of how their country is marking this anniversary. Incidentally, the day after Kennedy was shot, Dr Who made its debut on BBC television.

A very sad day for the world - I greatly admire JFK. My father had predicted some time before that Kennedy would be shot or killed in some manner.

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I've seen so many lineups for documentaries, interviews, 'looking back' specials, etc. these past few weeks for JFK. I wasn't even close to being born when he was assassinated, but it's still chilling to return to the Zapruder film and see it all go down.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    I've seen so many lineups for documentaries, interviews, 'looking back' specials, etc. these past few weeks for JFK. I wasn't even close to being born when he was assassinated, but it's still chilling to return to the Zapruder film and see it all go down.

I just keep thinking "Back and to the left. Back and to the left. Back and to the left".
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    It is chilling to see a man's murder caught live on video; especially our "King" at that time. While my own parents were barely even old enough to truly remember the effect his death had on the nation, it is a day and demise I have studied since my own childhood. While Kennedy had his issues and was as far from perfect as you can get, he held steadfast against all the nation's threats both foreign and domestic, and was in many ways a hero for our country in a time where World War III seemed imminent.
  • RIPJFK. 50 years ago today. Your light of hopes and freedoms still shines bright in the deeds of others
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited November 2013 Posts: 12,459
    I was in third grade. I only remember - vaguely - my mom telling me that the president had been shot as I got into the car with her. The rest of the images, on tv, adults talking quietly so children wouldn't hear, tv stations being changed or the tv turned off so we (my cousins and I) couldn't see it all. It remains, that actual day the weeks right after it, all a blur for me. I knew it was bad, I knew the president was head of our country, and guns scared me. This happened the day after my birthday, so it was a complete reversal of atmosphere in our house, believe me. But it was only later, as I was growing up, that I could frame that coherently and think it through. It greatly changed our country, for sure.

Nov. 22nd (and the same year that Kennedy was killed, 1963) was also the day C.S. Lewis passed away. I admire his work greatly, and I just wanted to mention him, too. Yesterday, there was a lovely ceremony held at Westminster Abbey and a plaque honoring C.S. Lewis was installed in Poets Corner there.
  • edited November 2013 Posts: 3,236
    And the death of Aldous Huxley, @4EverBonded. Peter Kreeft wrote a novel about their meeting in the afterlife. I hear it's good, although I've never read it.

And R.I.P. to all three men.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I was in third grade. I only remember - vaguely - my mom telling me that the president had been shot as I got into the car with her. The rest of the images, on tv, adults talking quietly so children wouldn't hear, tv stations being changed or the tv turned off so we (my cousins and I) couldn't see it all. It remains, that actual day the weeks right after it, all a blur for me. I knew it was bad, I knew the president was head of our country, and guns scared me. This happened the day after my birthday, so it was a complete reversal of atmosphere in our house, believe me. But it was only later, as I was growing up, that I could frame that coherently and think it through. It greatly changed our country, for sure.

Nov. 22nd (and the same year that Kennedy was killed, 1963) was also the day C.S. Lewis passed away. I admire his work greatly, and I just wanted to mention him, too.

Ah yes, the passing of one of the literary world's greatest talents overshadowed but such a massive event, much like Bram Stoker, who died the week the Titanic sunk.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I think C.S. Lewis himself would not have minded going more quietly. He never seemed to seek fame. I really respect him.
    Just heard that movie director George Lautner has died yesterday afternoon, aged 87.

http://www.jeanmarcmorandini.com/article-312988-cinema-le-realisateur-george-lautner-est-mort-a-l-age-de-87-ans.html

A master of comedies (especially gangster comedies), especially when he was paired with writer Michel Audiard. "Les Tontons Flingueurs" is a must see.

He worked with the biggest names of french movies over the years, from Gabin to Belmondo. And his movies were among the most successful in France.
  • I've been waiting for years about the Kennedy 50 year anniversary, and now it's finally arrived, it all feels like a bit of an anti-climax. There's no need to dive into elaborate conspiracy theories here. One or two previous participants on these pages would of had a whale of a time with their own pet theories on today, but let's keep things simplistic and let the man rest in peace, even if this incident has gone on to become one of the biggest enigmas in world history. All I know is, I have about as much idea as what fully occured that day as the next in line. Can just about remember the day in question, but at a certain age, you don't always realize the severity of the situation and implications of the event. RIP

I'd also like to give respects again to someone else who sadly passed away almost exactly two weeks ago now. RIP also and I love you @};-
    British Prime Minister Sir Alec Douglas-Home on the death of President Kennedy:

And the death of Aldous Huxley, @4EverBonded. Peter Kreeft wrote a novel about their meeting in the afterlife. I hear it's good, although I've never read it.

And R.I.P. to all three men.

I pay belasted tribute to those two literary giants too. Interestingly, there was a piece on these mens' deaths in The Times today. I wasn't aware at all that they had all died on the one day.
  • edited November 2013 Posts: 3,494
    Condolences to @Baltimore_007, apologies for being so late with that.

I was just 2 when JFK was shot (and please no lone gunman/magic bullet theories for me) so I really don't remember it. Condolences also to the family of one of the greatest pro wrestlers to come out of Quebec, the 4 time AWA World champ Maurice "Mad Dog" Vachon. This man was one of the pioneers and perhaps the first wrestler to talk to the camera more than the interviewer. Also a 1950 Olympian at a time when Canada didn't even have a national team.

R.I.P Mad Dog :(
    Lewis Collins, who played Bodie in The Professionals, has died of cancer at the age of 67. RIP.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-25135934
  • oo7oo7
    Lewis Collins, who played Bodie in The Professionals, has died of cancer at the age of 67. RIP.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-25135934
    just read that, a would be bond has passed

• BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    What a terrible piece of news. So sad to learn the passing of Lewis Collins. Grew up watching Bodie and Doyle. He should've and could've played Bond in the late 80's imo. Much as I love Dalton, I think Lewis Collins would've been every bit as good.
    Rest in peace.
  • oo7oo7
    edited November 2013 Posts: 1,068
    Benny wrote:
    What a terrible piece of news. So sad to learn the passing of Lewis Collins. Grew up watching Bodie and Doyle. He should've and could've played Bond in the late 80's imo. Much as I love Dalton, I think Lewis Collins would've been every bit as good.
    Rest in peace.
    Benny shouldnt this news be covered on the front page, he was after all very close to taking over from moore at one point?
    http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/tvandradioblog/2013/nov/28/lewis-collins-bodie-professionals
    More from the BBC on Lewis Collins:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-25141066
    Sad news of the death of Lewis Collins. It's funny, but I just watched the first episode of The Professionals on ITV4, just two nights ago, so he was fresh in my memory. I'll have to go out and buy it on DVD, assuming it is available.
  • oo7oo7
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Sad news of the death of Lewis Collins. It's funny, but I just watched the first episode of The Professionals on ITV4, just two nights ago, so he was fresh in my memory. I'll have to go out and buy it on DVD, assuming it is available.
    it's on itv4 every day why do you need a dvd of it!!