Skyfall Wins Bond's First Grammy -Make That Two Grammy's

Comments

• edited February 2013 Posts: 6,601

Sam and the papers the next day said it very clearly - the snub hangs in the air
    and even if Daniel himself doesn't care too much, it would be awkward to present or anything in this case - IMO. Everybody expected for him to get nominated by this british Film Academie and they gave it to J. Phoenix. I mean, he got it for CR, so its nothing too spectacular for the Baftas to do.

..and thanks in advance for all the flag I will get for this. But I believe, there is some truth in that.
    Germanlady wrote:

Sam and the papers the next day said it very clearly - the snub hangs in the air
    and even if Daniel himself doesn't care too much, it would be awkward to present or anything in this case - IMO. Everybody expected for him to get nominated by this british Film Academie and they gave it to J. Phoenix.

Phoenix was awesome so he didn't deserve a snub. Craig was unlucky.

• edited February 2013 Posts: 1,021
    for anyone who wants to watch now and doesn't live in the uk...check out filmon.com and click on bbc1

seems to be free....
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited February 2013 Posts: 13,350
    Les Miserables gets Best Production Design.

25% wasn't too bad going - a new record.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Production design went to Les Mis. Lincoln won 0 so far :O
    lahaine wrote:
    Germanlady wrote:

and even if Daniel himself doesn't care too much, it would be awkward to present or anything in this case - IMO. Everybody expected for him to get nominated by this british Film Academie and they gave it to J. Phoenix.

Phoenix was awesome so he didn't deserve a snub. Craig was unlucky.

Well, its not that he got a lot of nods, so its not like they had to snub DDL or so.
    Sandy wrote:
    Production design went to Les Mis. Lincoln won 0 so far :O

:O :O :O
    Yeah, somehow forgot about that film. Unbelievable, but he will probably get Best Actor.
    Only four awards left now.

Actor, Actress, Film and Director.
    for anyone who wants to watch now and doesn't live in the uk...check out filmon.com and click on bbc1

seems to be free....

Thanks for the tip. Watching it now :-bd
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Only four awards left now.

Actor, Actress, Film and Director.

Actor is Day Lewis

Film and director for Argo and Affleck

actress is a toughie but i say Lawerence.
    Yeah, Best Director is Ben Affleck for Argo.
    I've been saying this for a long time but get Paloma Faith to sing a Bond theme! I hope Mike and Babs were taking notes tonight.
  • Germanlady wrote:

and even if Daniel himself doesn't care too much, it would be awkward to present or anything in this case - IMO. Everybody expected for him to get nominated by this british Film Academie and they gave it to J. Phoenix. I mean, he got it for CR, so its nothing too spectacular for the Baftas to do.

..and thanks in advance for all the flag I will get for this. But I believe, there is some truth in that.

That's your opinion off course. And I respect that.

What I can see now, are some very happy faces from Barbara Brocolli, Michael G. Wilson, Sam Mendes and Thomas Newman on those pictures. By the way, Barbara looks georgeous! For her this must be an awesome awards night again :-). 'Cubby' is looking from the high heavens upon them with a smile :-).
    Emmanuelle Riva for Best actress. Was not expecting that.
    Samuel001 wrote:

Well a few years back they went agaisn't the grain with Marion coultard over Julie christie who was winning everything before that, so i'm a little bit but not so much. i won't be surprised if they give the best actor to Phoenix over day lewis.
    Daniel Day-Lewis wins for Lincoln.

Best Film is last.
    Samuel001 wrote:

Best Film is last.

Day Lewis for the next Bond villian please. Come on it makes sense.
    Samuel001 wrote:

Best Film is last.

Yeah !!
    Best Film = Argo.

We're done.
  • Samuel001 wrote:

Indiewire actually predicted the upcoming momentum for Emanuelle Riva:
    http://www.indiewire.com/article/2013-oscar-predictions-best-actress

Also, Indiewire predicts a 'Best Sound Editing' and 'Best Original Song Oscar for 'Skyfall'. But now perhaps the momentum for Thomas Newman builds up.....
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    tumblr_mi0wvuCvqb1rsyyo6o1_500.jpg
  • AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    lahaine wrote:
    Germanlady wrote:
    Dan didn't attend?

Why would he?

I don't know. To support the film?

He's known not to be a big fan of award do's he only went to one or two in support of his wife.

Which is why he was at this years Golden Globes......

His wife was nominated.
  • edited February 2013 Posts: 1,661
    The BAFTA win for best score is a bit too bittersweet for me. Mr Newman's win would be worthy of celebration if BAFTA had bothered to give Mr John Barry one for his Bond work. As they never did I don't think Newman's is deserved.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    fanbond123 wrote:
    The BAFTA win for best score is a bit too bittersweet for me. Mr Newman's win would be worthy of celebration if BAFTA had bothered to give Mr John Barry one for his Bond work. As they never did I don't think Newman's is deserved.

I fail to see any logic in that.

• edited February 2013 Posts: 1,817
    Germanlady wrote:
    Babs looks ravishing.
    As always! (I love that woman!!)

Very well for SF, the awards are most deserved!
  • fanbond123 wrote:

I fail to see any logic in that.

Same here. By the way, John Barry won so many times an Oscar. He admitted several times that his work for Bond was always a nice 'entertaining time' in between two serious drama movies.

Thomas Newman deserves the BAFTA imo, because he excelled in doing something completely different. Remember, he is not a true action composer, like Arnold. And for Newman it must have felt a bit overwhelming becoming part of the Bond family...
  • edited February 2013 Posts: 12,837
    Boooo.... Newman didn't deserve it imo.

Shame Bardem didn't win but Waltz was brilliant in Django.
  • Boooo.... Newman didn't deserve it imo.

How...how can you say that. I think it's quite sad if people say 'he didn't deserve to win it' :-S
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Boooo.... Newman didn't deserve it imo.

How...how can you say that. I think it's quite sad if people say 'he didn't deserve to win it' :-S

They are all mad that John never got one so any composer (no matter how good they are) will be held in contempt for their success because of it. Pathetic, I know.

The same with Dan not being nominated. Now, anyone who wins best actor in his place is also undeserving, and some say Dan shouldn't even show up to the BAFTAs or Oscars because they screwed him over so bad. Oh please, like Dan gives a single toss about not being nominated. He is proud of the film and he has so many things in his life and career to be proud of, and I doubt a little snub is going to ruin it all for him. He is about the work, not the stupid awards. If any star is in this business for the accolades they best look elsewhere, because without waking up every day and smiling because you are doing what you love most on this earth, what bloody good is it all?

Some people really need to get some perspective.
  • edited February 2013 Posts: 12,837
    @Gustav I don't see how it's sad. I thought the score fit in well with the film but was a bit flat, bland and unmemorable. I thought it was one of the weaker aspects of Skyfall. And therefore I didn't think it deserved to win a Bafta.
    They are all mad that John never got one so any composer (no matter how good they are) will be held in contempt for their success because of it. Pathetic, I know.

Or maybe I just didn't like the score and didn't think it deserved to win an award? If not like a movie score makes me pathetic then so be it. If you loved the score why not just be happy with that instead of calling me pathetic because I wasn't a huge fan of it?