Skyfall Wins Bond's First Grammy -Make That Two Grammy's

Comments

It is very hard to compare Le Mis and SF, only because of the difference in medium one being a movie/musical and the ather being essentially and actioner.
    And critical acclaim on sites as RT and Imdb usually come from the younger generations so by comparison it is fairly surprising that Le Mis gets a good result. The negatives I wager are from folks that most probably not have seen the movie. And the voting on Imdb has always puzzled me as some smucks vote 1 on movies that they have never seen but are threathening the standing of their favorite movie.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited February 2013 Posts: 9,117
    Sandy wrote:
    I don't think SF is flawless, for me it's not the best Bond ever and neither is it my favourite (at least at the moment) but it's damn good and I'm glad Bond films are no longer regarded as disposable entertainment! I've never been prouder of being a Bond fan than I've in these past few months.

I agree with this entirely.

I have no problem with you GL (I've even agreed with you on occasion). The best I can say is that where your character is clearly one of endless optimism and positivity mine is one of cynicism and always picking holes in the quest for perfection.
    Germanlady wrote:
    RC7 wrote:
    Germanlady wrote:
    RC7, I think, the problem is, that fanboydome is clearly more acceptable then fangirldome around here, which makes sense, since I am in a mans/boys world. So - to a large degree I accept that and continue doing what I do, but at times, I feel, its too unfair and i start moaning. :((

Sorry, what's this in response to?

OOps - sorry. It was directed at Wizards post. But you two somehow mix in my mind. :-\"

This is a rather childish response if you dont mind me saying so GL.

My comments are only ever directed at your opinions which over the last 4 months or so I have found overwhelmingly skewed towards praising SF and DC and decrying anyone who says otherwise.

This page (but there are others) carries a nice sample of your rantings when SF didnt get every nomination going:

http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/2576/skyfall-awards-nominations-and-rankings-two-bafta-wins/p12

Had you even seen any of the other films nominated at the moment you wrote that (doubtful as they werent starring DC) so you could offer an objective judgement over the travesty BAFTA and the Oscars delivered to SF?

I never hoist anybody (irrelevant of their sex) unless its by their own petard GL. And your petard in this instance is ripe for hoisting when it comes to irrational SF and DC praise.
    Germanlady wrote:
    Reg. Les Mis and others and this question is really just out of interest..

If you compare the rating of SF and Les Mis at RT and others its 70% to 92% and something like that with bits of differences at others. You may change the names of the films here. They are just examples.
    Why is it, that Mis gets a BP nod whereas for SF people feel, its not worth it. SF got more critical acclaim overall then some of the nominated films.

I would like some serious answers and no bashing please.

Just to show I'm not always getting at you, you make a good point here. Personally I loathe musicals but why is musical a genre that it is fine to reward with nominations and actual BAFTAs and Oscars but action thriller isnt?

The Bond universe is fantasy so acting nods in that are less likely than in serious dramas such as Lincoln and Amour but how is a universe where everyone communicates only in song anything other than ridiculous yet Hathaway and Jackman hoovering up nominations and awards all over the shop?

• edited February 2013 Posts: 6,601
    I said - you can change the names of the films, so it wasn't necessarely just Mis as a musical. Just overall if you compare 70% to 90%. Mis is not a good example. Lets just compare normal films of whatever genre.

About the rest - as so often you are exaggerating. I was "ranting" as I still do (not alone obviously. Mendes anybody) about not getting a nod by a BRITISH Film Academie. YOU make of it - "not getting every nomination going." ..and about "childish" I think, Tuulia made a good post about this topic of comparing fandom.

On this base, there is no way to communicate. Sorry...but i would like to discuss the other topic, which also might be less boring for others.
  • RC7RC7
    Germanlady wrote:
    I said - you can change the names of the films, so it wasn't necessarely just Mis as a musical. Just overall if you compare 70% to 90%. Mis is not a good example. Lets just compare normal films of whatever genre.

I don't think these kind of stats are relevant personally. The Avengers has an RT score of 92%, but no one expects an Oscar haul for it.
    SaintMark wrote:
    It is very hard to compare Le Mis and SF, only because of the difference in medium one being a movie/musical and the ather being essentially and actioner.
    And critical acclaim on sites as RT and Imdb usually come from the younger generations so by comparison it is fairly surprising that Le Mis gets a good result. The negatives I wager are from folks that most probably not have seen the movie. And the voting on Imdb has always puzzled me as some smucks vote 1 on movies that they have never seen but are threathening the standing of their favorite movie.

Doesn't critical acclaim on RT come from film critics of all age? Certainly different on IMDB, where everybody can vote.
    RC7 wrote:
    Germanlady wrote:

I don't think these kind of stats are relevant personally. The Avengers has an RT score of 92%, but no one expects an Oscar haul for it.

No, you are right, but...if a film has 70% critical ACCLAIM rom film critics (of course, there are black sheep among them, but still..) - how does this make it a contender for BP?
  • RC7RC7
    Germanlady wrote:
    RC7 wrote:
    Germanlady wrote:

No, you are right, but...if a film has 70% critical ACCLAIM rom film critics (of course, there are black sheep among them, but still..) - how does this make it a contender for BP?

It's irrelevant. Most critics aren't industry people and besides, the Academy and BAFTA have their agendas. It's just the way of the world. I couldn't care less about people singing for three hours, but it fits like a glove in the pretentious world of psuedo art-house cinema. Tom Hooper is the awards Golden Boy. Not much RT or any other site can do to alter this I'm afraid.
    OK, I think, I can rely to the fact, that academie and co have their own view of what is required for a nod, which is more then just "being a good film according to critics, general audiences and BO" (which applies to more films then SF, just for the record). I think, yoare right, that it is often pretentious and giving more then bits to certain films is just not on their agenda of celebrating the ART of cinema. Thi sounds maybe more negative then I actual feel, but it certainly leaves some films unduly out of the race.

I really think, the Oscars at least should add more categories to give those films a chance, like Best Action Film, Best Drama, Best Comedy...some already do it, but since the Oscars are still the King awards, they should follow, because making a GOOD action film, a GOOD comedy etc is certainly as difficult as making good drama.

Thanks..
    The only thing I'm confused by Skyfall winning Best British Picture is what is the criteria for it being considered British? The movie was jointly financed by MGM and Sony and not with any British money which I always felt was a condition to the category. Does that mean that the original Star Wars trilogy, Mission Impossible 1, Alien trilogy, Batman, Superman and Indiana Jones are all British movies now because they utilized a British crew and a London sound stage?
  • Maybe best to see the film before suggesting award categories.
    definatly
    Maybe best to see the film before suggesting award categories.
    definatly

? - this quote is not from this conversation - what exactly do you want to say?
    DO you mean to say anything? At the BO thread you posted cool pic, where there is none.
  • edited February 2013 Posts: 11,119
    It has happened guys :-D. In one day TWO BAFTA's for 'Best British Film' (Barbara Broccoli, Michael G. Wilson, Sam Mendes) and 'Best Music Score' (Thomas Newman) anddddddd ONE ASC Award, 'Best Cinematography' (Roger Deakins).

The 27th ASC Awards (The American Society Of Cinematographers) have been forgotten a bit due to the BAFTA's, but I think it's win is pivotal for the actual Oscar for 'Best Cinematography'. You can check this website for the winners: http://www.theasc.com/asc_news/News_Articles/News_446.php.
    Moreover, you can read here an in-depth article of Deakins win for 'Skyfall': http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/roger-deakins-wins-asc-award-for-cinematography-for-skyfall-20130211

In the meantime, Claudio Miranda won the 'Best Cinematography' BAFTA for 'Life Of Pi'. So the race until the Oscars will stay very close. I do think however that the ASC Award has a bit more gravita:

Claudio Miranda won for the cinematography of 'Life Of Pi':
    --> Broadcast Film Critics Association - Critics Choice Award
    --> Dallas-Fort Worth Film Critics Association - DFWFCA Award *1ST PLACE*
    --> Las Vegas Film Critics Society - Sierra Award
    --> Phoenix Film Critics Society - PFCS Award (By the way, Thomas Newman won the PFCS Award for 'Best Original Score' for 'Skyfall'!)
    --> San Diego Film Critics Society - SDFCS Award
    --> San Francisco Film Critics Circle - SFFCC Award
    --> Satellite Awards - Satellite Award
    --> Southeastern Film Critics Association - SEFCA Award *1ST PLACE*
    --> Washington DC Area Film Critics Association - WAFCA Award
    --> BRITISH ACADEMY OF FILM AND TELEVISION - BAFTA AWARD *02/10/2013*

Roger Deakins won for the cinematography of 'Skyfall':
    --> Central Ohio Film Critics Association - COFCA Award
    --> Dallas-Fort Worth Film Critics Association - DFWFCA Award *2ND PLACE*
    --> Florida Film Critics Circle - FFCC Award
    --> Los Angeles Film Critics Association - LAFCA Award
    --> National Society of Film Critics - NSFC Award *2ND PLACE*
    --> Online Film Critics Society - OFCS Award
    --> Southeastern Film Critics Association - SEFCA Award *2ND PLACE*
    --> AMERICAN SOCIETY OF CINEMATOGRAPHERS - ASC AWARD *02/10/2013*
    And for all fans of Thomas Newman. Watch here Thomas Newman winning the 'Best Music Score' BAFTA. Great to hear him thank the late John Barry (To all posters in here, I think it's a disgrace to say "Thomas doesn't deserve it, late John Barry deserved it more. Yuk!").:

I'm so happy for Thomas! It's only his second win at the BAFTA's. I'm now praying he will also win his first ever Oscar. I have a distinct feeling, the Academy will give him the first Oscar ever.

Now I will listen Newman's tracks 'Tennyson' and 'Enquiry' for 'Skyfall'. One of my favourite music pieces ever and with a fantastic build up. I love the use of strings. It's kinda obvious Newman uses more strings than Arnold. It gives a more crisp and Bond-ian sound to 'Skyfall', while at the same time it is definately a Thomas Newman music piece. Love it!
    Thanks for the video, Gustav. I'm so happy for him, too. :)
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Thanks for the music win video!
  • Does anyone else remember this or was it axed?

I saw the awards on TV and I don't remember it either. I think it might have been axed.
    bondsum wrote:
    The only thing I'm confused by Skyfall winning Best British Picture is what is the criteria for it being considered British? The movie was jointly financed by MGM and Sony and not with any British money which I always felt was a condition to the category. Does that mean that the original Star Wars trilogy, Mission Impossible 1, Alien trilogy, Batman, Superman and Indiana Jones are all British movies now because they utilized a British crew and a London sound stage?

They put it in that category because they couldn't fit it in the best picture category.

I agree with you and others. SF is a Hollywood blockbuster. The category should be for small, independant (British) films.
  • edited February 2013 Posts: 2,081
    Does anyone else remember this or was it axed?

I saw the awards on TV and I don't remember it either. I think it might have been axed.

No need to "remember" since vids of the speech are available and have been posted here, too. He didn't say it on stage. I posted about this on the previous page. Let's take it again, then:

Later on at a backstage press conference, Mendes continued with this theme, saying Craig had suffered ‘the curse of Bond’ after not being nominated for Best Actor.

"It was an incredible performance but because Bond is the spine of the movie... You take it for granted."

Add to that the same event, from other sources:

Director Sam Mendes says Daniel Craig "sets a real example" as an actor.

and

Skyfall director Sam Mendes paid tribute to Daniel Craig’s ‘bravery and brilliance’ in his third Bond outing, adding that he regretted that Craig had not been nominated for an award.
    ‘I think it’s the curse of Bond,’ he said following the win. ‘Sometimes, because Bond is the spine of the movie and you know he’s always going to be there, you take him for granted. I wish he had been nominated.

...and, of course, what he said in his speech on stage, too, was very telling. It was more than a simple thanks; he gave major credit for the movie to Daniel. All in all I think Sam made it very clear what he thought. :) It's lovely that he gave credit generously, but naturally he knew what he was talking about; without Daniel, Sam himself wouldn't have been there, and the movie would have been something else completely. (Those who wish SF hadn't been made need not jump on this, thanks. ;) )

I salute the great chivalry of both Sam Mendes and Thomas Newman who showed their respect for Ian Fleming and John Barry.
    Great to see some official recognition and success! Must say on another note that my curiosity has been tweaked to see Argo!
  • edited February 2013 Posts: 533

It's nice to see that the BAFTAs are quite capable of being a joke. First "ARGO" as Best Picture and then, "SKYFALL" as Best British Film.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    DRush76 wrote:
    It's nice to see that the BAFTAs are quite capable of being a joke. First "ARGO" as Best Picture and then, "SKYFALL" as Best British Film.

Since we all know your opinion on SF, what's wrong with Argo?
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    bondsum wrote:

Absolutely. This BAFTA is meaningless and more than that its a slap in the face to proper British films that struggled to get made on a shoestring. If Argo had been made at Pinewood would Ben Affleck have walked off with best British picture as well?

I want Bond to win awards as much as the next man but I want it to be on merit. I'm not going to go crazy over something that amounts to nothing more than a sympathy vote to say well done for 50 years and spectacular box office.

About Life of Pi winning best cinematography can someone who's seen it tell if this is deserved? From the clips I've seen it seems as though there isn't a shot that doesn't feature a CGI element. Fair enough to win for visual effects but I don't see how you can win what is basically a photography award when half of the compositions are rendered by computer.

About Life of Pi winning best cinematography can someone who's seen it tell if this is deserved? From the clips I've seen it seems as though there isn't a shot that doesn't feature a CGI element. Fair enough to win for visual effects but I don't see how you can win what is basically a photography award when half of the compositions are rendered by computer.

I haven't seen it, but from the little I've seen I got the same impression as you.

• Now now gents. 'Skyfall' won an American Society of Cinematographers Award last Sunday. 'Life Of Pi' lost.

I just don't get all the negative sentiment. Barbara Broccoli and Michael G. Wilson were absolutely delighted with their BAFTA-statue.

Moreover, one year ago, and this is a fact, most of the Bond fans in here were saying that James Bond doesn't need awards to show its popularity. I think I was one of few fans in here who said it would be absolutely wunderful if 'Skyfall' would win some awards. Now it has won quite a bunch.......actually the most awards ever for a Bond film, and the sentiment in here is negative.
  • RC7RC7
    Now now gents. 'Skyfall' won an American Society of Cinematographers Award last Sunday. 'Life Of Pi' lost.

I just don't get all the negative sentiment. Barbara Broccoli and Michael G. Wilson were absolutely delighted with their BAFTA-statue.

Moreover, one year ago, and this is a fact, most of the Bond fans in here were saying that James Bond doesn't need awards to show its popularity. I think I was one of few fans in here who said it would be absolutely wunderful if 'Skyfall' would win some awards. Now it has won quite a bunch.......actually the most awards ever for a Bond film, and the sentiment in here is negative.

You carry on living in your little bubble. There's no debate to be had here. It's pointless trying to rationalise things with you. Your last paragraph doesn't even make any sense.
    RC7 wrote:
    Now now gents. 'Skyfall' won an American Society of Cinematographers Award last Sunday. 'Life Of Pi' lost.

You carry on living in your little bubble. There's no debate to be had here. It's pointless trying to rationalise things with you. Your last paragraph doesn't even make any sense.

MY little bubble??? Damn, from a pure objective view I just can not find any reason to be negative about the current awards won by 'Skyfall'.

Sometimes people complain about the fact that big blockbusters, enjoyed by millions of fans, like 'The Dark Knight', don't win a 'Best Picture' Oscar.

And now, right nowww, when 'Skyfall' wins a BAFTA for 'Best British Picture', people in here say it doesn't deserve this BAFTA because it should be reserved for smaller pictures, arthouse movies.

Really, this is a discussion with no end. But I am NOT living in my personal bubble. That's bullocks. What I see is this:

'SKYFALL' and its most important prizes/awards:
    --> WON: 1 Golden Globe
    --> WON: 2 BAFTA's
    --> WON: 3 Critics Choice Awards
    --> WON: 1 Screen Actors Guild Award
    --> WON: 1 ASC Award (American Society of Cinematographers)
    --> NOMINATED: 1 Producers Guild Award (won by 'Argo')
    --> NOMINATED: 5 Academy Awards

I always predicted (given a few mistakes more or less) that 'Skyfall' would achieve a list like the one above. But I NEVER expected more. If you look at the tradition of awards more properly (what kind of movies win/get nominated and what kind of movies not), then especially for a James Bond film this is something extraordinary. No previous Bond film, NOT even the Connery ones, managed to achieve this. Fact. Period.

I'm not living in a bubble. I'm just a realist, I try to judge things dispassionately. But in this instance, sheer positivity is logical.
  • edited February 2013 Posts: 115
    Tuulia wrote:

I haven't seen it, but from the little I've seen I got the same impression as you.

I have seen it and the whole film just looked wonderful, wonderful in that sense that you didn't realized that 90% have been CGI, so I completley agree that it IMO is a contender for Visual effects but NOT cinematography.
    Sometimes I just don't get the rules that apply for certain nominations :|
  • RC7RC7
    I'm not living in a bubble. I'm just a realist, I try to judge things dispassionately. But in this instance, sheer positivity is logical.

Bollocks mate. If you were a realist, you would know that SF's 'Best British Film' BAFTA, is nothing more than a patronising thank you. People have already pointed out the specific reasons why, if you don't understand them, then that's up to you.
  • About Life of Pi winning best cinematography can someone who's seen it tell if this is deserved? From the clips I've seen it seems as though there isn't a shot that doesn't feature a CGI element. Fair enough to win for visual effects but I don't see how you can win what is basically a photography award when half of the compositions are rendered by computer.

While I haven't seen LIFE OF PI (i went to see an advertised 2D showing only to turn up and they were showing it in 3D so I declined to watch - and never got an opportunity after that to see it) to really comment on how well the film is shot. But this subject about the CGI elements making the film look "beautiful" and "stunning" has cropped up before with films that eventually won the OSCAR for BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY - AVATAR was one of them. Surely most of that film is CGI and yet it won the oscar for VISUAL EFFECTS and CINEMATOGRAPHY. HUGO won both CINEMATOGRAPHY and VISUAL EFFECTS last year. If LIFE OF PI wins VISUAL EFFECTS this year it is highly likely that it will also pick up cinematography. Because everyone in the Academy votes for the winner (and not just the cinematographers branch) its highly likely that they vote for the most "spectacular looking" film wether it was shot naturally or rendered in a computer...I do hope though that Deakins can finally win. However his loss at the BAFTAS is not looking good for the OSCAR despite winning the ASC (voted for by CINEMATOGRAPHERS)...