Craig to be the longest serving Bond

Comments

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Getafix wrote:
    i reckon craig will do four may be max 5. not because eon won't want him to stay but cos he will want move on. he's headstrong and i think he will feel 4 or 5 is enough.

What will Craig 'move on' to? Craig knows he's good something good going and it's make no sense for him, or any actor, to consider throwing that away until he's at least 50.

Anything can happen you know... one of his Bond outings may flop, have bad critics/fan reviews, the audience may want Bond to go in another direction... Who knows what can/will happen in the next 6/7 years until Craig turns 50. Wishing him to do another 3 or 4 outings after SF is pure wishful thinking... you can't predict what will happen so far ahead... who knows, SF could be a disaster... anything is possible.

@DC007 exactly. I think alot of people are making these predictions about him staying for ages when skyfall could be his last one

Why would Skyfall be his last? Everything seems to be in place and on track for Bond 24 in 2014 with Craig as Bond. Oh, yeah and Skyfall earning $600+ million at the box office.
  • edited December 2011 Posts: 12,837
    @samuel001 anything can happen. Bond 24 hasn't been confirmed for 2014, we have no idea how long the gap will be and how craig will age. For all we know, EON might want to take the series in a new direction after skyfall. Remember, alot of people thought brosnan would do more after DAD, and dalton was originally planned for bond 17, we have no idea what could happen. Maybe craig will get tired of the role, maybe he'll decide its time for a change, who knows.

I don't think skyfall will be his last one, but I don't see craig doing more than 4 or 5 films.
  • Getafix wrote:
    i reckon craig will do four may be max 5. not because eon won't want him to stay but cos he will want move on. he's headstrong and i think he will feel 4 or 5 is enough.

I agree
    Craig could very well do 8 films, as long as Eon can get them out every two years. There are several reasons he might stick around besides the films making big money for both him and Eon.
    Craig seems to have a say in the creative direction of each film, so he's driving the bus to a certain extent as opposed to being along for the ride. This keeps him interested from film to film.
    Craig is not yet really bankable box-office, at least not for major blockbusters outside Bond. So its good for his career to maintain one very bankable series, which can lead to other opportunities. Plus Babs and MGW seem to love him, so I can see him doing 8 movies. I don't think Babs and MGW would fire him unless the movies tanked at the box office, which isn't likely to happen. Combine that with Craig staying motivated, and 8 films is quite possible.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Timmer, also take into account Craig's age too. Brosnan and Dalton started in their early 40s, Craig is only 43 and by next year he'd have 3 movies under his belt. Even if he doesn't do 8, I can realistically still see him doing about 6 in total.
    http://www.nme.com/filmandtv/news/daniel-craig-i-almost-quit-as-james-bond/256337

he almost did a Timothy and walked away from Bond - the big girl's blouse.

you can't blame dalton for walking away. Everybody wanted brosnan, he'd been waiting years to do his 3rd film, it wasn;t his fault

I think with hindsight he would say it was a mistake. He is a good actor but he was washed up post Bond.
  • edited December 2011 Posts: 4,622
    doubleoego wrote:
    Timmer, also take into account Craig's age too. Brosnan and Dalton started in their early 40s, Craig is only 43 and by next year he'd have 3 movies under his belt. Even if he doesn't do 8, I can realistically still see him doing about 6 in total.

8 films projects to age 54 for the release of the final film, which means he would be shooting much of it while still 53. So 8 films is possible. If he doesn't age gracefully though then Babs, Mikey and Craig himself, might all agree to cut it shorter, but 8 films is do-able, and the three of them might really want to break the Rog's record.
    Well, I for one would be delighted and overjoyed if Craig got to do a total of 8.
  • I wouldn't mind craig doing 8 but I would be really suprised if it happened. We're all assuming that after skyfall we will get bond films every 2 years, while we might have some 2 year gaps, I don't think we will get a film every 2 years. Also, we're assuming craig will want to carry on into his 50s and EON will want him too. If craig ages well, fine. But if he doesn't age too well from now then EON might want a younger actor and craig won't want to stick around because he'll know that he's too old
  • timmer wrote:
    doubleoego wrote:

8 films projects to age 54 for the release of the final film, which means he would be shooting much of it while still 53. So 8 films is possible. If he doesn't age gracefully though then Babs, Mikey and Craig himself, might all agree to cut it shorter, but 8 films is do-able, and the three of them might really want to break the Rog's record.

I don't think that in the future if craig hasn't aged well that he'll stick around just for the sake of breaking a record. I also doubt we'll get a bond film every 2 years until craig retires.
    IN my view Craig is going to age badly and rapidly. Plus he will be plain bored of the role after 4 or 5 films. He will move on perhaps doing more theatre work.
    edited December 2011 Posts: 13,350
    Craig has a lot of say in what goes on in each film, that not only allows him to stay involved but also explore different aspects of the character as he may see fit, thus meaning he won't tire of the part. Three films in and his enthusiasm has never been higher.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Getafix wrote:
    IN my view Craig is going to age badly and rapidly. Plus he will be plain bored of the role after 4 or 5 films. He will move on perhaps doing more theatre work.

I see his Bond as pretty much stuck in his direction, and I can't see him pulling off a more charming take on his Bond. So i'd predict 4 films (that's one more after SF) and he's out. I'd say boredom will set in, before he looks too old for Bond. But then, if I were in his shoes and with a career as tepid at the box office as his, I think i'd stick with Bond.

true true
    edited December 2011 Posts: 13,350
    I see his Bond as pretty much stuck in his direction, and I can't see him pulling off a more charming take on his Bond.

That's what Skyfall looks to be trying to achieve now that 'Bond Begins' is out of the way. And all signs point to that happening. Keep your fingers crossed.
  • edited December 2011 Posts: 4,622
    Samuel001 wrote:
    I see his Bond as pretty much stuck in his direction, and I can't see him pulling off a more charming take on his Bond.

That's what Skyfall looks to be trying to achieve now that 'Bond Begins' is out of the way. And all signs point to that happening. Keep your fingers crossed.
    I think you might be right. I am particularly encouraged by Wilson's reference to a Goldfinger like vibe. I think there is a determination to distance from the origins Bond that we saw in QoS. I think all are on board with this. SF might turn out to be a really good throwback Bond-film. I do hope there is some return to 60's style fantasy elements as well.

I seem to recall Craig saying that in this new Bond film he's going to be very suave. I think people need to relax and wait until they see SF to determine if Craig will be more charming. The point of CR/QoS was to complete an arc of character foundations and development and that's been done and as Mendes said at the PC, SF is it's own movie and is separate from Craig's first two outings. This film will be Craig's defining Bond movie and from what we do know, they're pulling out all the stops to make this an incredible and traditional Bond flick.
  • edited December 2011 Posts: 9,775
    Char35t wrote:
    Actual DAF stinks totally compared with the BOOK, the Spangs should have been in it. The Book is so much better than the corny boring and lazy movie, other than the couple, blofeld, bond and the bikini nothing is remember-able about other than it was Connery $$$$$$$ film.

I hope DC does 5 or 6 films...I do wish they would go to Alaska/Canada border region.
    I agree 10 fold Diamonds is actually my favorite Fleming Novel. And I would love to see Craig take the Spang Brothers.

Also can you change your user name I would like to change it to Skyfall007
    He doesn't have to do a ton of films if he doesn't feel like it , quality over quantity any day......I reckon 4 , tops 5 films........it's not like he's desperate for £££.
    He's contracted to do 4 but if he does feel like staying on and the producers still want him, it's all good in my book.
    I think that DC deserve to make at least 5 James Bond Movies. He's was good as 007 at the begining of his carieer in MI6 but i want to see how Craig's Bond becoming more experienced agent, suave but cold blooded british spy.
    EON Productions should give him time to meet Q, Moneypenny, Felix Leiter (played by Jefrey Wright), future M. I'm still waiting for one/two films with Quantum and a mano-a-mano duel between 007 and Mr White.

... and it takes a while :)
    Mr white??? going one on one with Bond. He'd be crucified.
  • edited January 2012 Posts: 4,622
    I predict he will do 8 films. If Vegas wants to lay odds, I'll lay a bet. I figure if MGM can keep-em coming every two years and the films keep making money ( and there is no reason to believe they won't) then I don't think Craig will be in any rush to leave. He could settle in like Rog. Babs MGW and Craig are a happy little threesome. I don't think they want to break-up.
    I think Craig's good for 2014, 2016, 2018, 2020 and the 2022 record breaker which he could be shooting when he is 53, turning 54 later in the year.
    Sean is the only actor that brazenly quit the series (twice). The others I think ideally would liked to have stuck around under the right circumstances. Broz for sure and Rog did stick around as long as possible, until gracefully retired. Laz and Dalts could probably have been coaxed out of their "leave letters" if there had been a determined desire on the part of Eon.
    But I see no potential cracks in the Craig/Babs/MGW smoochfest. :x
    Barring a calamity: 8 films. You can put that in the bank!
    edited January 2012 Posts: 13,350
    You're reasoning seems logical to me and makes sense. Every actor who has done many films stayed for as long as they could, bar Brosnan but he wanted to go on. Lazenby and Dalton, well, we know what happened there. 54 seems the right age to get out and leave, Brosnan was aiming for that age after doing six films which would have been 2007.

The biggest battle is the every-other year plan, that will be hard to stick to but I'd love to see it happen. Eight films is doable but a long way away as of now.

As long as Craig plays Bond in these six films, I'm happy and not whatever it was, in his first two.

I hope Craig's successor and all who follow stay for as long. This is a long running series, so come on, we need long standing actors!
  • edited January 2012 Posts: 6,432
    Surely his tenure will be determined by box office receipts. skyfall could be a great movie or it could be a unmitigated disaster. i agree with another poster in that craig's weakness is his lack of charm and humour. he nails the brutality of bond and coldness. I think michael fassbender would make a good bond, he was excellent in xmen: first class.
    Charm, humour and being suave are all things that have been promised for the upcoming, classic, Bond film. It's Bond with a capital B.

Craig will finally get the chance to show us what he can do and I think he'll be damn good.
    I hope you are right samuel i like his movie's and they suited the side of bond he portrayed in them. trying to be open minded until i see the gun barrel scene on skyfall when sat in the theatre. not sure what to expect with the new film, hope i am pleasantly surprised.
    Good things, I feel in a good mood about this one, moreso than I have with any other that I can remember. We've heard some promising things from all corners in my opinion.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    The biggest battle is the every-other year plan, that will be hard to stick to but I'd love to see it happen. Eight films is doable but a long way away as of now.
    That is the challenge. They would have to stay on schedule otherwise age will catch up with Craig.
    I do really hope though that when Craig's time is up, that the new Bond is cast more in the classic look, and that he is young. Like 30 years old young, so we get his prime Bond years, not middle-aged Bond years.

timmer wrote:
    Samuel001 wrote:
    That is the challenge. They would have to stay on schedule otherwise age will catch up with Craig.
    I do really hope though that when Craig's time is up, that the new Bond is cast more in the classic look, and that he is young. Like 30 years old young, so we get his prime Bond years, not middle-aged Bond years.

Best to talk about that nearer the time. Who knows where we'll be in ten years time. My biggest concern is dark hair or get the dye out. ;)

Every two years, reliving those Moore years. It would be wonderful to see what it's like. I'll bet on films in 2014 and 2016 but that's as far as I'll go for now.

I have no problem with the 35 - 55 aged Bond. You could go younger but it much always depend on the actor. Start rounding up those twenty year olds @timmer. :)