'Anyone for a jelly baby ? ' - Doctor Who discussion thread.

Comments

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited August 2013 Posts: 13,350
    Does Gaiman refer to an actor for the 12th Doctor, or another one?...

The BBC has just tweeted this. "Another reason we love Peter Capaldi":

BQ-20STCYAARmL5.jpg:large
  • No he just refers that a black actor was offered the part and turned it down which left the door open for the Spin Doctor.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited August 2013 Posts: 13,901
    So the new doctor was not supposed to be the new doctor, the part was offered to someone else first but who?

http://www.blastr.com/2013-8-5/wait-black-actor-was-offered-role-12th-doctor-first

I reckon it was Adrian Leicester, Luther or Colin Salmon....

I wouldn't mind Lester as Bond, as a fan of Hustle (especially the first 3, at a push, 4 series). In the role off Mickey, he exudes the qualities of a potentially fantastic Bond. Unfortunately, Lester is the same age as Craig.

As for this news, there's nowt wrong with not being the first choice. Michael Horden was offered the the role of The 2nd Doctor. And i'm glad he turned it down.
  • edited August 2013 Posts: 12,837
    Never understood why Doctor Who isn't shown in the Autumn/Winter. It'd improve the ratings.
    No he just refers that a black actor was offered the part and turned it down which left the door open for the Spin Doctor.

He doesn't mention Capaldi, so I would think his remarks refer to a past Doctor's casting.
  • So the new doctor was not supposed to be the new doctor, the part was offered to someone else first but who?

http://www.blastr.com/2013-8-5/wait-black-actor-was-offered-role-12th-doctor-first

I reckon it was Adrian Leicester, Luther or Colin Salmon....

I wouldn't mind Lester as Bond, as a fan of Hustle (especially the first 3, at a push, 4 series). In the role off Mickey, he exudes the qualities of a potentially fantastic Bond. Unfortunately, Lester is the same age as Craig.

As for this news, there's nowt wrong with not being the first choice. Michael Horden was offered the the role of The 2nd Doctor. And i'm glad he turned it down.

I will tell Adrian (Anthony) that you love him. We were best mates at school, hardly see each other since we both got married and had children...he did go over to my dads for a chat a while ago. I will give him a call the weekend and see if he was offered the role.
    Not sure what to expect from Capaldi, though i expect the Valeyard to manifest itself during his incarnation. I was very much a fan of Doctor Who old Who, i watched all the new Who casually before Smith. Smith for me really brought Who to another level, so much so bought many of the classic episodes. For me Smith is the best Doctor, Baker second though probably stayed too long. Smiths first season was brilliant, put it up there with the best seasons of any tv show.
  • Not sure what to expect from Capaldi, though i expect the Valeyard to manifest itself during his incarnation. I was very much a fan of Doctor Who old Who, i watched all the new Who casually before Smith. Smith for me really brought Who to another level, so much so bought many of the classic episodes. For me Smith is the best Doctor, Baker second though probably stayed too long. Smiths first season was brilliant, put it up there with the best seasons of any tv show.

I had hoped the Valeyard to be a certain other person who will be featuring in the 50th Aniversary - or am I'm barking up the wrong tree?
    oo7 wrote:
    <object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/5Blf073f2Lc?version=3&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/5Blf073f2Lc?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Superb! =))
  • edited August 2013 Posts: 6,432
    Not sure what to expect from Capaldi, though i expect the Valeyard to manifest itself during his incarnation. I was very much a fan of Doctor Who old Who, i watched all the new Who casually before Smith. Smith for me really brought Who to another level, so much so bought many of the classic episodes. For me Smith is the best Doctor, Baker second though probably stayed too long. Smiths first season was brilliant, put it up there with the best seasons of any tv show.

I had hoped the Valeyard to be a certain other person who will be featuring in the 50th Aniversary - or am I'm barking up the wrong tree?

Its a possibility he may be in the 50th, though the Valeyard, the manifestation of the evil aspects of the Doctor as said in canon appears between the 12th and 13th regenerations. Hurt could possibly be the Valeyard making another attempt to take over the Doctors physical form, before he actually succeeds Re: between 12th and 13th Regenerations. Though just speculating :-)
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    edited August 2013 Posts: 1,699

Its a possibility he may be in the 50th, though the Valeyard, the manifestation of the evil aspects of the Doctor as said in canon appears between the 12th and 13th regenerations. Hurt could possibly be the Valeyard making another attempt to take over the Doctors physical form, before he actually succeeds Re: between 12th and 13th Regenerations. Though just speculating :-)

To be fair, I think it's fairly obvious (and I believe it's even been confirmed by an insider or two) that Hurt's Doctor is the 'Time War' incarnation, thus he'd come between the Eighth (McGann) and the Ninth (Eccleston). The brilliance of this, which I suspected/ realised after he was revealed at the very end of the last episode, is that of course all the subsequent Docs are one Doctor further on, as it were. Very Moffat-esque plotting. ;)

And, as to the black-actor-casting rumour, if Gaiman's right, I suspect it was Chiwetel Ejiofor - a thesp who possesses all the attributes for The Doctor.

But certainly more than happy with the odds-on favourite getting the gig (someone at the Beeb clearly let slip in some way there); now it's sunk in Peter Capaldi seems a terrific choice and I'm very much looking forward to where he'll take the show under Moffat's steady but often irreverent, unexpected hand on the tiller. Totally different to David Tennant and then Matt Smith? No doubt, but that's what the whole thing's about and always has been... :)
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited August 2013 Posts: 13,901

I want to be excited, but in a few days time this will be shot down. No mention of The Likely Lads & Callan (if the Callan episodes were indeed wiped and not simply lost), though. Still, at least it's good news on the Dad's Army front.
    It seems a black actor has played The Doctor:

;)
  • http://io9.com/the-history-doctor-who-as-a-tube-map-with-a-line-for-e-1085154071

The history of doctor who as tube map...awesome for the casual fan and devotee.

If it is him then as great as he'd be, I still wonder if he could have topped what Smith has done.
  • cwl007cwl007 England
    Just looking at the dr who history as a tube map thingy. Scroll down to bottom of the link and there is an article called' why Malcolm Tucker should be dr who . It was created in November 2009!
    In this interview Steven Moffat is asked about having the technology to recreate the past Doctors. He replies that even if he did, the first thing he would do is put Sean Connery in On Her Majesty's Secret Service!

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Found this fanart on the web. ;)
    peter_capaldi_as_the_doctor_by_happyrussia-d6hpvxr.jpg
    He's already ditched the bow tie! This will likely be the Doctor's look for an episode at least until he finds whatever he'll choose to wear next.

Series 8 begins filming in January.
  • That pic looks a bit doctored....plus take a look at the Tardis with google maps, yes google maps

http://www.blastr.com/2013-8-13/you-can-actually-go-inside-tour-tardis-google-maps
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Thanks for that Sam. She looks right for Smith

I want to be excited, but in a few days time this will be shot down. No mention of The Likely Lads & Callan (if the Callan episodes were indeed wiped and not simply lost), though. Still, at least it's good news on the Dad's Army front.

The thing is Dad's Army only has about three missing episodes from series 2. Apart from that series 1 is complete and from series 3 it was shown in colour and all episodes have survived.

Therefore, if they have found 'some' Dad's Army episodes it can only really be the missing three. That's great news for DA fans. DW fans are still shy of 106 episodes.
    From the latest IDW comic, issue #12:

dw1.jpg
    dw2.png
    I believe that Paterson Joseph could be the black actor in mind,he has come close a few times to getting the role :

_45223777_joseph226.jpg

tumblr_m6yudbcQ1v1qdtlf4o1_500.jpg

Young+People+Performng+Arts+reception+oT4HqZt8ISal.jpg
    The black actor in question is Chiwetel Ejiofor who was allegedly offered the role before Matt Smith.
    Ah...well thats me told then.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    This might interest some of you:

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=11979
    As soon as they release entire series DVD and BD sets, I will be buying. Hopefully that begins next year. Having the modern series is one set is something of a start in the right direction.