Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

Spiderman: Into the Spiderverse4K I am gobsmacked this film is incredible

Glad you liked it. I was pretty impressed as well - easily my favorite since Spider-Man film since the 2000s trilogy, and one of the best comic book films of the decade.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Spiderman: Into the Spiderverse4K I am gobsmacked this film is incredible

Glad you liked it. I was pretty impressed as well - easily my favorite since Spider-Man film since the 2000s trilogy, and one of the best comic book films of the decade.

Ground breaking animation and a few moments where my heart sank it had that tragic element, there is one scene I know Stan Lee would have loved.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Revisited 4 of the 5 original Star Trek Films over the past week.

Star Trek II- Wrath of Khan. Great
    Star Trek III- The Search for Spock- Good
    Star Trek The Motion Picture- OK
    Star Trek V- The Final Frontier- Pretty awful

I’d rank them the same. Wrath of Khan can’t be beat. Search for Spock is pretty solid. MP is a bit slow but fairly enjoyable still. Final Frontier is bad but has a few interesting bits.

Voyage Home is definelty my favorite. But im watching them on Amazon Prime Video and it's not in the free for members list to watch. Ill have to wait. MP is very slow. Half the film is just watching ships traveling and docking but once the Vger comes in the human form then I really enjoyed it. Final Frontier had a good idea, but it was all too cheap and cheesy. I lost interest once Kirk and Co. reached Nimbus 3 and Uhura was doing her stripper dance.

Voyage Home is a fun entry. Definitely the best for comedic purposes. Of the original six, my current ranking would probably go:

1. The Wrath of Khan
    2. The Undiscovered Country
    3. The Search for Spock
    4. The Voyage Home
    5. The Motion Picture
    6. The Final Frontier

I'd like to give one a rewatch again sometime soon.

This is my ranking as well.
    I'm a big fan of The Undiscovered Country but it could have used a slightly larger budget.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    For the first time since I first saw Superman II: The Donner Cut(2006), I rewatched Superman II: The Lester Cut(1981) in its entirety:

superman-ii-poster.jpg

Still good but on the the whole I prefer the Donner cut which feels more like a continuation of the first film. There are some individual aspects of the Lester cut I prefer like the moon battle and the scenes where Cliff Klaven and Commander Carter play the NASA technicians, when Superman says the "General, would you care to step outside?" line, Ursa's line about taking Superman's favorite earth creature(Lois) along with them to the Fortress of Solitude. The ideal version of Superman II would be a blending of the best from both cuts but there's a lot of disagreement among Superman fans about what are the best aspects of each version. Still, I'm glad to have both of them.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    For the first time since I first saw Superman II: The Donner Cut(2006), I rewatched Superman II: The Lester Cut(1981) in its entirety:

superman-ii-poster.jpg

Still good but on the the whole I prefer the Donner cut which feels more like a continuation of the first film. There are some individual aspects of the Lester cut I prefer like the moon battle and the scenes where Cliff Klaven and Commander Carter play the NASA technicians, when Superman says the "General, would you care to step outside?" line, Ursa's line about taking Superman's favorite earth creature(Lois) along with them to the Fortress of Solitude. The ideal version of Superman II would be a blending of the best from both cuts but there's a lot of disagreement among Superman fans about what are the best aspects of each version. Still, I'm glad to have both of them.

Great poster, a great movie is somewhere in between both versions. Hopefully one day it will materialize with a decent budget on the project to improve some of the Donner Cut added effects.

As things stand now I always watch the Donner Cut first, the Jor-El scenes are fantastic
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I mostly watch the Donner Cut. It's a vast improvement over de original version. Keeps reminding me that the Salkinds were wrong.
  • edited May 2019 Posts: 17,313
    Inferno (2016)
    This one has been sitting in my shelf for a long time, and I finally found the urge to watch it. I remember the book as an alright read, so I had hopes the film adaptation would deliver. It's a Tom Hanks film after all.

The film follows the book quite closely (as far as I remember the content), except for the ending, which finishes with a typical happy Hollywood ending. I'm not too bothered about this though, as the film is entertaining enough throughout. Inferno is a film that gives you what you expect – an entertaining two-hour adventure.

I've noticed some pretty harsh reviews of the film, by the way. Mark Kermode called it "intergalactically stupid", for example. Understandable of course, but what do you really expect from a film that's just frantic popcorn entertainment? If anything, Inferno just reminded me that sometimes this is just the kind of film I need to watch now and then.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Inferno (2016)
    This one has been sitting in my shelf for a long time, and I finally found the urge to watch it. I remember the book as an alright read, so I had hopes the film adaptation would deliver. It's a Tom Hanks film after all.

The film follows the book quite closely (as far as I remember the content), except for the ending, which finishes with a typical happy Hollywood ending. I'm not too bothered about this though, as the film is entertaining enough throughout. Inferno is a film that gives you what you expect – an entertaining two-hour adventure.

I've noticed some pretty harsh reviews of the film, by the way. Mark Kermode called it "intergalactically stupid", for example. Understandable of course, but what do you really expect from a film that's just frantic popcorn entertainment? If anything, Inferno just reminded me that sometimes this is just the kind of film I need to watch now and then.

That's how I look at the Dan Brown trilogy amongst other films, you know what you're getting into. It's like when people see Transformers and complain that it was noisy and stupid. Well what were you expecting, Casablanca?
    Inferno (2016)

That's how I look at the Dan Brown trilogy amongst other films, you know what you're getting into. It's like when people see Transformers and complain that it was noisy and stupid. Well what were you expecting, Casablanca?

Exactly. I'm not a fan of the Transformers films, but I've seen a couple, and they both delivered just what I predicted them to be. And that's alright – it's just entertainment. The same applies to the books the Robert Langdon films are based on too, of course. They're exciting page-turners.

Also worth adding that Ron Howard's directing mirrors the fast pace the novels have.
    I liked both The DaVinci Code and Angels & Demons, I have yet to see Inferno its on my watch list.
    I liked both The DaVinci Code and Angels & Demons, I have yet to see Inferno its on my watch list.

I remember liking both the previous films too, but I haven't seen them since… well, around the time they were released on home media. As both are available on Netflix, I might take the time to rewatch them next week.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited May 2019 Posts: 8,042
    Inferno (2016)

Exactly. I'm not a fan of the Transformers films, but I've seen a couple, and they both delivered just what I predicted them to be. And that's alright – it's just entertainment. The same applies to the books the Robert Langdon films are based on too, of course. They're exciting page-turners.

Also worth adding that Ron Howard's directing mirrors the fast pace the novels have.

The issue I have with the Langdon films is that they're inexplicably cheap looking. I accepted them being nothing more than hollow entertainment after The Da Vinci Code but I find them a tough slog to get through despite their high stakes and reasonably quick pace because of the aesthetic Howard infuses them with.

Zimmer's music is great, though.

I remember liking both the previous films too, but I haven't seen them since… well, around the time they were released on home media. As both are available on Netflix, I might take the time to rewatch them next week.

I have them both on dvd though its been a few years since I watched them, I rewatch them before Inferno, I wonder if there is a Bluray trilogy boxset
    Inferno (2016)

The issue I have with the Langdon films is that they're inexplicably cheap looking. I accepted them being nothing more than hollow entertainment after The Da Vinci Code but I find them a tough slog to get through despite their high stakes and reasonably quick pace because of the aesthetic Howard infuses them with.

Zimmer's music is great, though.

I've never had any issues with Howard's aesthetic really. I've never even thought about it, which might be a negative come to think of it. Still, I quite enjoy them for what they are – just like the Dan Brown books.

On the other hand, I've never been a fan of Zimmer's music. It does fit these kinds of films I admit, but I often find his music quite distracting.

I have them both on dvd though its been a few years since I watched them, I rewatch them before Inferno, I wonder if there is a Bluray trilogy boxset

Should probably have rewatched the first two before Inferno, but there isn't any continuity to worry about though. Would be surprised if there wasn't a Bluray set. Most trilogy's get one these days, it seems.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Mission Impossible 1-6

My first time seeing Rogue Nation and Fallout, so I binged all six movies. MI2 is still the weakest of all of them, but I found myself watching MI3 with a feeling of distaste for whatever reason. A fine movie, but something about it left me unsatisfied this time around. Ghost Protocol is probably still my favorite.

superman-ii-poster.jpg

Great poster, a great movie is somewhere in between both versions. Hopefully one day it will materialize with a decent budget on the project to improve some of the Donner Cut added effects.

As things stand now I always watch the Donner Cut first, the Jor-El scenes are fantastic

Indeed.

Slumdog Millionaire (2008). Loved it! Lots of drama and ultimately satisfaction.
    edited May 2019 Posts: 23,465

superman-ii-poster.jpg

Indeed.

Epic! An amazing scene with great music, Brando was brilliant I watched The Chase 1966 a few days ago, a good subtle actor at times.
    Rewatched the Pirates of the Caribbean trilogy all night long. Such a fun and epic series. My order of preference goes 1>2>3, but I really do enjoy them all. I do my best to pretend the horrendous fourth and fifth films don’t exist.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Rewatched the Pirates of the Caribbean trilogy all night long. Such a fun and epic series. My order of preference goes 1>2>3, but I really do enjoy them all. I do my best to pretend the horrendous fourth and fifth films don’t exist.

I really enjoyed the original trilogy. The second is probably my favorite. The other two seemed more like cash grabs and they tried too hard to extend the storylines and characters that were more than done by the end of part 3.

I really enjoyed the original trilogy. The second is probably my favorite. The other two seemed more like cash grabs and they tried too hard to extend the storylines and characters that were more than done by the end of part 3.

My friend’s favorite is Dead Man’s Chest as well, which may be the highest on fun factor. It’s pretty great, but nothing tops Curse of the Black Pearl for me (one of my favorite-ever films). And yes, 4 and 5 are clearly cash grabs that are very painful to watch. It’s more than clear At World’s End was meant to be the finale - and should have been. It’s a great trilogy; 2 and 3 deserve some more love.

superman-ii-poster.jpg

Indeed.

Epic! An amazing scene with great music, Brando was brilliant I watched The Chase 1966 a few days ago, a good subtle actor at times.

@Fire_and_Ice_Returns

I also prefer the way the Donner cut handles Lois' figuring out that Clark is indeed the Man of Steel to the Lester version's take on it. It's less sappy and much funnier, like a 1930s Howard Hawks comedy:

Mother Joan of the Angels.

It was good. Quiet, moody, fairly engrossing. Well shot and well paced for the most part. Interesting subject matter, and it had something interesting to say about it. Also, it feels very fresh stylistically. They could've made this film today in pretty much the same way and it wouldn't have felt out of place.

MV5BOTQxNjhkYTEtMzEwMi00NzkyLTk5ZjYtYzg5ZjYyNjM1NDVkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTA2ODMzMDU@._V1_SX1777_CR0,0,1777,999_AL_.jpg
    edited May 2019 Posts: 23,465

superman-ii-poster.jpg

Indeed.

@Fire_and_Ice_Returns

I also prefer the way the Donner cut handles Lois' figuring out that Clark is indeed the Man of Steel to the Lester version's take on it. It's less sappy and much funnier, like a 1930s Howard Hawks comedy:

Totally agree also Lois was made to look weak in Lester version with some of the material, in the Donner Cut it allows Lois to look as smart as she is.
    127 Hours (2010). A really impressive and moving film based on a true story. Once again a hit from Boyle for me.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    KILLER S KISS (S. Kubrick,1955)

This was the only Kubrick film I had not seen, and found a box with this and two of my favourites, THE KILLING and PATHS OF GLORY so that was a sure buy. I loved it. Like most Kubrick movies, this is an exquisite piece of art. In style most similar to the follow-up THE KILLING from the year after, but with a completely different theme.

Here is a review of it.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    This is one of the threads that I would like to discuss more than my time allows, and which probably moves too fast to do so anyway. Pity.

Just tonight finished watching PEEPING TOM (1960). quite a brilliant thriller by Michael Powell for which the world was not ready at the time.
    51six5pPxyL._SX342_.jpg

Carl Boehm, better known as Karlheinz Böhm in the rest of Europe for having played Austrian emperor Franz Joseph alongside Romy Schneider in the "Sissi" films, plays an inhibited young Brit (with less of a German accent than he has in the interview included in the BD extras, filmed 45 years later) who, caused by psychological abuse by his father, kills young women to record their fear of dying on film. The fact that the killer was not entirely unsympathetical and because there was no real disclaimer as at the end of PSYCHO (from the same year), with a psychiatrist explaining that Norman Bates was just schizophrenic, so no one else would have to worry about it, made the critics go crazy and effectively ruined Michael Powell's career. The movie was only revived when Martin Scorsese found out about it, managed to get it back into the limelight at some festivals...and also triggered Scorsese's long-time editor, Thelma Schoonmaker, to ultimately become Powell's third and final wife.

It's much more low-key than the furor around its initial release might suggest, and probably less graphic than even PSYCHO, which splatter film buffs would consider light humour. Still definitely worth a watch, including the BD extras.
    Brightburn (2019). A bit rough around the edges at times in execution, but the concept is great and it's very well-acted (one of the best child actor performances I've seen by the lead, Jackson A. Dunn!). I enjoyed it overall.
    Ok so I have two films to review

Avengers Endgame
    Honestly this film is fine... I know many on this site like @doubleoego and others will say I am a Batman fan so any dislike of this film is unwaranted and yeah...

Lets talk about the positives
    1. Robert Downey Jr is fantastic and he will be missed
    2. Chris Evans I hope does other action films as he was great
    3. Jeremy Renner needs his own film again seriously I would see a Hawkeye movie or Bourne Legacy 2 or any franchise with him he is fun and cool
    4. some of the heart felt moments were good

Now the negatives
    1. I dislike Captain America essentially screwing everyone over by not coming back
    2. I also am annoyed that we wont get a 4th Captain America solo film
    3. it was too long
    4. the emotional scenes were so heart breaking that i dont mind when my heart is pulled but I do mind when they are pulld out put aon a guitar and stairway to heaven was played on them which this film does..
    5. TOO MANY TIME PARADOXES TO COUNT

overall it's low on my list but its not bad by any stretch of the imagination and I am actually excited for Black Widow
    Batman And Robin

On the other hand this is BAD .... ok I am writing these first lines before I even turn on the film I dont want to watch it... I mean I can say Joker and Catwoman dont count and dont have to watch this and some of the animated films I dont need to watch but this film.... Ok I can do it..

here are some comments I texted @peter while watching this

1. there are logical questions like how did the Redbird create the logo
    2. George Clooney is good as bruce wayne HORRIBLE as batman shame I thought he could be better
    3. why is freeze in the spotlight
    4. if you drink alcohol every time their is an ice pun or plant innuendo you will get alcohol poisoning
    5. why did the brontosaurus make a roaring sound?
    6. Uma thurman is hot
    7. Bane is a waste
    8. Alicia Silverstone is hot
    9. I will say this Chris O donnel feels like he is somewhat in the adult batman film and Him and michale gough's are the only ones
    10. the cold beam make no sense how did they build it that quickly?
    11. Is uma thurman throwing jelly beans in the ground
    12. why is there this dumb side quest with the highlighter gang
    13. Snoop dog running an underground racing rink in Gotham that may be the most realistic thing in this film
    14. did the bad biker just say "buckle up"
    15. he also called the track dangerous I see balloons and confetti are this things "dangerous"
    16. wow the Audio guy f'ed up on the alfred is not sick he is dieing
    17. and Bruce can just tell he is the worlds greaterst detective and he can just TELL
    18. the silent moments are the best in this movie
    19. I honestly could write a doctoral thesis on how bad this film is

Look i could point out how bad this film is on many levels but I am not writing every complaint as litterally every other line makes me cringe or wanna punch someone as a batman fan this is bad up next either looking at the possible sequels or Batman year one

Films I saw in 2019

1. Casino Royale
    2. Across the Universe
    3. Licence to Kill
    4. Batman mask of the phantasm
    5. Batman
    6. Beverly Hills Cop 2
    7. Batman Returns
    8. Casino Royale 1954
    9. Highlander Endgame
    10. Oliver Stone The Doors
    11. Highlander
    12. Moonstruck
    13. Batman Forever
    14. Avengers: Endgame
    15. Hitman agent 47
    16. Highlander 3 The Final Dimension
    17. Walk the line
    18. Highlander 2
    19. Highlander the source
    20. Batman & Robin

Films from 2019
    1. Avengers Endgame

Batman series
    2. Batman mask of the phantasm
    3. Batman
    4. Batman Returns
    5. batman forever
    6. Batman & Robin

Highlander series
    3. Highlander Endgame
    4. Highlander
    5. Highlander the final Dimension
    6. Highlander 2
    7. Highlander the source

Bond series
    1. Casino Royale
    2. Licence to Kill
    3. Casino Royale 1954

Jukebox
    1. Across the Universe
    2. Oliver Stone The Doors
    3. Walk the line

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    edited May 2019 Posts: 45,489
    @Risico007
    Captain America DID come back. To his own time and the woman he loved. Plus he had the decency to show up at the same spot at the same time to let them know. I say good for him.