Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    1_d8d7bfaa-2788-4d14-b83a-34b4d464a327_large.jpg?v=1470328169
    Directed by W. Witney/J. English.

There is a feature length edit of this serial available on Yotube titled SHAZAM: ORIGIN.

I liked the new SHAZAM well enough, but this is much better. Easy to see some influence on Indiana Jones from this. Tom Tyler and Frank Coghlan Jr in the lead. The Scorpion is a great main villain but it is rather silly how he always has his disguise on, even when alone and speaking on the phone. Just a bit of fun, of course. The score is wonderful, as was always the case with everything that came out in the 40s.

The first superhero on film, and a lawsuit followed this serial as it was deemed too similar to Superman. (The character was a property of Fawcett Comics at the time.)
  • edited April 2019 Posts: 17,338
    Dirty Harry (1971)
    It's been a long time since I watched DH the last time. Every time I watch it, I'm left thinking that it's is much darker than I remembered it to be. Guess that's because you always associate the film with the "Do I feel lucky?' Well do ya, punk?" line, which in a way is kinda funny.

It's a great film though, and one of my favourites from the 1970's. The brilliant score by Lalo Schifrin adds another layer to the film as well.
    Last of the Mohicans - Michael Mann - who made a critical movie about the British/French empire and the"Americans" & Indians caught between. Still beautiful and haunting soundtrack with some action pieces that showed that Mann is definitely a great director.
    SaintMark wrote: »
    Last of the Mohicans - Michael Mann - who made a critical movie about the British/French empire and the"Americans" & Indians caught between. Still beautiful and haunting soundtrack with some action pieces that showed that Mann is definitely a great director.

That is a very solid film. Good choice.
  • edited April 2019 Posts: 1,646
    Ninja killer 1/6 (on dailymotion , turk dub...this version do not include Bolo and Carter Wong scenes)

starring Chula from 007 as the bad guy , anyway this has got to be among the worst ive ever seen : shoddy production values (ten times worse than average kf movie) , terrible fight scenes......although as a norwegian i got a chuckle out of them adding the game show theme for "Kvitt eller dobbelt" several times in it , lmao
    I think Joker and Penguin just wanted to cause mayhem/destruction of property (the paintings) , there wasnt really any economic modus operandi (although Shrecks scheme was selling power he stole from GCs people)
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Raiders Of The Lost Ark 1981

Action adventure cinema personified, not even Bond gets this close, forget MCU and also definitely forget that pint sized annoying Scientologists's overrated franchise, this is the benchmark and it's yet to be bettered.

Also no FYEO isn't even in the same universe let alone ball park before someone comes out with that nonsense again.

• Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Shardlake wrote: »

Action adventure cinema personified, not even Bond gets this close, forget MCU and also definitely forget that pint sized annoying Scientologists's overrated franchise, this is the benchmark and it's yet to be bettered.

Also no FYEO isn't even in the same universe let alone ball park before someone comes out with that nonsense again.

Raiders is overrated IMO. I welcome all pitchforks
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Raiders is epic timeless sound and vision. It also heavily mines the action of the serials of the 30s and 40s. Not a bad thing, but to be recognized.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Raiders is one of the few films i consider flawless. Everything just works to perfection.

It was a massive kick up the rear to action cinema when it came out, including the Bond series. The sequels don't come close IMO.

One of Spielberg's best. I remember it was such a fantastic experience seeing it at the cinema with an audience. It was one of those movies that people were going back to see a number of times. Myself included.
    Raiders is one of the few films i consider flawless. Everything just works to perfection.

It was a massive kick up the rear to action cinema when it came out, including the Bond series. The sequels don't come close IMO.

One of Spielberg's best. I remember it was such a fantastic experience seeing it at the cinema with an audience. It was one of those movies that people were going back to see a number of times. Myself included.

It was a movie that was talked about in 1981.

Yep. It wasn't released to any large fanfare but word of mouth made it a deserved runaway smash hit.

Yep. It wasn't released to any large fanfare but word of mouth made it a deserved runaway smash hit.

It didn't get favourable reviews initially, if I recall. Great movie, and I agree, the sequels don't come anywhere close.
    Saw a reissue in 70mm some years later, utterly fantastic!
  • edited April 2019 Posts: 6,862
    The Equaliser 2.
    Saw the first one and somehow missed this on its cinema release.
    Enjoyed the first one, and this got lukewarm reviews...but I really enjoyed it, and I think it improves on the first one.
    Washington is total bad ass, and there are some great set pieces (love how he deals with the spoilt rich scumbags who abuse a girl for their enjoyment!)
    Nicely staged finale during a storm too.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    The Equaliser 2.
    Enjoyed the first one, and this got lukewarm reviews...but I really enjoyed it, and I think it improves on the first one.
    Washington is total bad ass, and there are some great set pieces (love how he deals with the spoilt rich scumbags who abuse a girl for their enjoyment!)

Denzel is one of the most dependable actors in Hollywood. Lights up the screen no matter what film he does. I'll even go as far as saying he is one of the rare actors to have never given a terrible performance.
    The Equaliser 2.

Denzel is one of the most dependable actors in Hollywood. Lights up the screen no matter what film he does. I'll even go as far as saying he is one of the rare actors to have never given a terrible performance.

I agree. I wasnt particularly impressed with THE TAKING OF PELHAM 123
    and THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN remakes,
    (Unnecessary in both cases!)
    But Denzel was great in them!
    The Equaliser 2.

His verbal sparring with Gene Hackman in Crimson Tide was riveting stuff!
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    The Equaliser 2.
    Washington sitting in his chair in that coastal house literally built to face the storm. And the younger character sitting next to him in the chair obviously meant for his wife. An awesome moment.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England

I'd like to see you come up with a film that matches up to the craft on display here.
    Catch Me If You Can (2002). Love this film; great direction, story, and acting. One of my favorites from Spielberg!
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart

I'd like to see you come up with a film that matches up to the craft on display here.

Oh I cant. It's an enjoyable film but it's definitely not a favorite of mine. The only Indy film that I can watch whenever the mood strikes is Last Crusade. With that being said, I wasn't alive in 1981 and I probably would have loved it more if I was able to see it on the big screen. It's just a franchise that is good but I never find myself watching it all that much.

Oh I cant. It's an enjoyable film but it's definitely not a favorite of mine. The only Indy film that I can watch whenever the mood strikes is Last Crusade. With that being said, I wasn't alive in 1981 and I probably would have loved it more if I was able to see it on the big screen. It's just a franchise that is good but I never find myself watching it all that much.

This is where i feel sorry for some of the younger members on here. They can never experience what it was like before the days of video, DVD and instant download in watching an event film like this at the cinema.

Raiders was like seeing Star Wars for the first time. Audiences had never seen anything like it. Yeah there'd been action films, but nothing as clever and exciting as this. I was 14 when i saw it.

Big event films are now taken for granted as there seems to be one every couple of months these days. Back then they really were big events as they weren't so common.

Old fogey rant over...! :))
    I don't go to the cinema all that much any more and when i do its usually when I take my kids or something like a Bond or Mission Impossible. I'm glad that I use streaming services or the Redbox to catch movies that may have intrigued me but not worth spending 30 bucks to see it in theaters
    Pee-Wee's Big Adventure (1985). Always have loved this film. So quirky and wild! Man do I miss the old Tim Burton.
  • edited April 2019 Posts: 6,862

This is where i feel sorry for some of the younger members on here. They can never experience what it was like before the days of video, DVD and instant download in watching an event film like this at the cinema.

Raiders was like seeing Star Wars for the first time. Audiences had never seen anything like it. Yeah there'd been action films, but nothing as clever and exciting as this. I was 14 when i saw it.

Big event films are now taken for granted as there seems to be one every couple of months these days. Back then they really were big events as they weren't so common.

I hear you Leonardpine. It's also evident when you see the amount of coverage of DAY ONE! of Bond 25. Back in the old days (ha!) we were satisfied with the odd photo turning up in the papers from the finished film! (I Still recall the photo of Roger in the evening newspaper impersonating the Cuban officer in the pts of OP, with moustache)

I hear you Leonardpine. It's also evident when you see the amount of coverage of DAY ONE! of Bond 25. Back in the old days (ha!) we were satisfied with the odd photo turning up in the papers from the finished film! (I Still recall the photo of Roger in the evening newspaper impersonating the Cuban officer in the pts of OP, with moustache)

Yeah @Mathis1 we've already seen pictures of Daniel Craig on his first day of shooting and this is bound to be a well documented shoot especially on location.

I may have to disable my FB Bond groups for the time being or else there'll be no suprises when i see the damn thing!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited May 2019 Posts: 40,550
    Police Story

Criterion never fails to impress, their work on the opening to Jackie Chan's excellent series is like seeing the film for the very first time. It's the best it's ever looked, thanks to this 4K restoration, and I can't wait to see it again (and how the second film looks, too, though I'll probably not see it until tomorrow or Thursday).
  • mattjoesmattjoes matjoevakia
    In the film Heat, in the scene where Neil and Eady are talking on the balcony before they kiss, does anyone else think the blue screen cityscape adds something to it? It's more interesting than if it looked more realistic.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    mattjoes wrote: »
    In the film Heat, in the scene where Neil and Eady are talking on the balcony before they kiss, does anyone else think the blue screen cityscape adds something to it? It's more interesting than if it looked more realistic.

I'd have defocused the background a bit more, personally. However, it only really seems apparent in the close-ups and yes, it certainly adds a very dream-like quality, helped by the choice of music and two rather superb performances.

The line about bio-luminescent algae was extremely apt for the setting.
    PIPPI LÅNGSTRUMP PÅ DE SJU HAVEN (O. Hellbom, 1970)

This was the first I saw of Pippi, in the cinema as a little kid. Still love it, the best of the two films, but the tv series is at the top.