Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Aquaman as soon as this film started I knew it was going to be Bat $#%+ crazy, and god was it crazy, for much of the runtime I thought what the hell am I watching. The IMAX sequences look incredible, this film has some of the best visual effects I have seen, the action scenes blow most comic book movies out of the water.
  • edited April 2019 Posts: 17,294
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Thanks, guys! :)

@Torgeirtrap
    I had seen the interview before. Good stuff, isn't it?

It certainly is! Love interviews where the person interviewed gets the chance to provide answers without interruptions.

Tarantino is always brilliant in interviews. Really enthusiastic and knows his stuff.

He's really great in interviews. Love it when he goes into details about films, directors or small, minor stuff in films. I remember watching (or listening, as I think it was for a podcast or similar) an interview where he talked about food in films, for example.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Aquaman as soon as this film started I knew it was going to be Bat $#%+ crazy, and god was it crazy, for much of the runtime I thought what the hell am I watching. The IMAX sequences look incredible, this film has some of the best visual effects I have seen, the action scenes blow most comic book movies out of the water.

I thought the exact same thing. Particularly
    the dive scene when the water monsters and going after Aquaman and Hera and you see the wide view with only the flare light. And of course the whole Sicily sequence
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

I thought the exact same thing. Particularly
    the dive scene when the water monsters and going after Aquaman and Hera and you see the wide view with only the flare light. And of course the whole Sicily sequence

The trench scene looked fantastic, James Wan certainly knows how to present great visuals.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Arctic

Prompt, no filler, a real straightforward survival thriller that's only as strong as its lead performance, and thankfully Mads Mikkelsen is brilliant in this one, speaking volumes by saying so little. Excellent film.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Arctic

Prompt, no filler, a real straightforward survival thriller that's only as strong as its lead performance, and thankfully Mads Mikkelsen is brilliant in this one, speaking volumes by saying so little. Excellent film.

I'm going to watch the movie simply from your recommend, @Creasy47, my good friend. :)
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Arctic

I'm going to watch the movie simply from your recommend, @Creasy47, my good friend. :)

Thanks, I do hope you enjoy it. It was nice seeing what Le Chiffre was up to all those years after surviving a bullet to the head.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    JACKIE BROWN

Jackie_Brown_logo.png

It takes a lot of guts for a relatively young filmmaker who is incredibly popular amongst the younger crowd to suddenly and unexpectedly explore a theme like ageing with dignity. After playing things cool and innovative with PULP FICTION, Tarantino went for something entirely different, something many people, at the time, called "boring". JACKIE BROWN, based on Elmore Leonard's novel "Rum Punch", talks about nondescript middle-aged people who are trying to escape their life of dreadful routine and the loss of ambition. It takes the film two hours and a half to execute precisely one plan that has most of its key players at the crossroads; an elaborate two-hour build-up must satisfy our curiosity about their motives, backstory... For some, this very protracted storytelling is just too much.

Take me, for example, a 16-year old when JACKIE BROWN is released, hoping for something close to a PULP FICTION 2 but ending up in a blaxploitation homage full of long drawn-out conversational scenes with little action to speak of. It took me a while in the theatre before I had accepted that what I was seeing wasn't anything close to QT's previous two endeavours. Only Sam Jackson's portrayal as Ordell Robbie kept me interested to some extent. What can I say: the man is awesome in almost everything he does.

But times have changed. I have changed. And since the release of JACKIE BROWN I have come to understand, grasp as it were, what the film is all about and why it's one of Tarantino's best. Themes are being addressed which filmmakers rarely dare touch because they speak to, at best, a very limited section of the audience. More than that, Tarantino takes his time to develop the story, to approach his characters' feelings, motivations and intentions with scientific scrutiny. He doesn't rush through this story to artificially create a sense of pace and narrative rhythm; rather, he negotiates the multilayered story with surgical precision. I have come to admire his boldness. It's not so much his patience but ours that he puts to the test. But our resulting fulfilment is his achievement and his alone, an admirable finality to one of the few films that still allow themselves to pause and breathe in an era of frenetic storytelling everywhere.

Pam Grier and Robert Forster give magnificent performances. Secondary characters are also fleshed out well; the likes of Bridget Fonda, Michael Keaton and Robert De Niro make them interesting despite their de facto dullness. Add to that a wonderful selection of songs and musical cues and combined with Taratino's controlled but fascinating screenwriting, you've got a winner. JACKIE BROWN was never going to dominate box offices but at least it showed a side of its director rarely seen before. In a sense, it was Tarantino's true breakout film, a project that demonstrated his abilities beyond the gimmicks of its two predecessors. Like good wine, the film grows better with age... For isn't that what the film is all about--how to age well and keep your eyes open for opportunities?

It's been my favourite of his for sometime now and agree with all you've said, great review.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited April 2019 Posts: 23,553
    KILL BILL VOL. 1

latest?cb=20110226235826

The trick to make a revenge film work is to push the protagonist through enough suffering so that he or she not only gains all of our sympathy but also our primordial, unspoken desire for a satisfying payback. Nowadays, killing a man's dog will more than do the job, but in the "old days" you almost always had to go for a direct relative, be it a parent, sibling or a child. KILL BILL states its facts right from the start: "The Bride" is pregnant and Bill is the father. Nevertheless, Bill shoots the woman and leaves her for dead. But the Bride survives, recovers and will not stop until she has killed Bill and all four of his accomplices, her former "partners".

Sounds simple enough, except in the hands of Quentin Tarantino, who loves '70s movies, including the fruits of Asian cinema, and will revive their glory at the same time as telling his story. At this point, we had been allowed a good decade to gradually acclimatise to QT's style and artistic curiosities. It came as no surprise then that a four hour cut of the Bride's quest for vengeance was proposed. Tarantino is not just going through the motions; he's delivering that special kind of art, the satisfaction of which doesn't come cheap, nor fast. Rather than "John Wick" his Lady Vengeance up the criminal hierarchy in one swift sweep, QT will send her around the world, into past training sessions and present pursuits of proper tools, into one woman's housewife kitchen and another woman's Yakuza fortress. He will upset the chronological order of the Bride's story, feeding us the bits we need now and saving others for later. Moreover, he will make her--and by association us--work very hard before she can eliminate a target. It shouldn't surprise anyone that the full version of KILL BILL was promptly split into two "volumes".

KILL BILL VOL. 1 was heavily promoted as "Quentin Tarantino's fourth film", elevating the director's name to something akin to a marketable brand. And yet, there's very little in this movie that shares obvious similarities to his previous films, apart, of course, from those infamous Tarantino peculiarities--his ridiculously overthought penchant for violence being but one example--and his passion for cinema. That last element is one I want to hold on to for a bit. You see, I find it doubtful that Quentin Tarantino the filmmaker makes films for anybody other than for Quentin Tarantino the film afficionado. Studios, theatre complexes and critics can say what they want, Quentin will have it his way; and even we in the audience will rediscover "real" movies as opposed to the popcorn flicks one watches to cover the empty minutes between dinner and a night of bowling. Tarantino's films are not just entertaining; they are educational.

KILL BILL VOL. 1 never lets me down. I'm instantly invested in Thurman's excellent portrayal of the Bride, a character she created with Quentin. I want "Kiddo" to be successful at everything she does; that's how sold I am on her. And this doesn't come from some unconditional love for Uma. To be frank, I'm always 50/50 on her. Sometimes, she looks astonishingly beautiful and feels like one of the best actresses we have. At other times, however, I find her rectangular features and almost cartoonish line reading all but repulsive. Part of Tarantino's skill set as a filmmaker, however, is that he can elicit truly amazing performances from his cast; and in this particular case, Uma Thurman does a whole lot better than I've ever seen her do before. Another example in this film is Lucy Liu, whose O-Ren Ishii practically absolves her from CHARLIE'S ANGELS and the trainwreck that was BALLISTIC: ECKS VS. SEVER.

Applying different film stocks, vibrant colour palettes as well as gorgous black-and-white, anime inserts and an unforgettable soundtrack, Tarantino made me fall in love with this film right from the getgo. Granted, I was in my early twenties at this point, and I had just begun to see films through different eyes than in the days of JACKIE BROWN. I had learned about "auteur theory", I had learned to keep an open mind, I had learned to separate timeless cinema art from the quick cash grabs that I used to consider "cool". So unlike the aforementioned third Tarantino film, KILL BILL VOL. 1 didn't have to wait for the proverbial second chance. I was ready for it the first time, and I loved it. I couldn't wait for volume 2 to come out. To this day, while it's not my absolutely favourite QT film--it's my girlfriend's though--I maintain a profound respect for this film's audacity, for its pristine looks, for its musical choices and more. KILL BILL VOL. 1 is probably one of Tarantino's more commercially feasible and accessable films, but it's also a work of love and, indeed, of art. You did well, Kiddo...
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    I just remember the blood was equivalent of dropping a can of Ocean Spray on the ground
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    edited April 2019 Posts: 45,489
    Sorry for the double post, had my brain elsewhere.
    Seems like not everything Murnau touched was gold. I had to give up on the last films I put on, DER GANG IN DIE NACHT (1921) and HERR TARTUFF (1925), the former a drama and the latter a comedy. Going to check out more of his output anyway, as the first four films of his I saw were all brilliant.

Edit: PHANTOM (1922) and DER LETZTE MANN (1924) don t seem that interesting, either.

Think his greatest work was NOSFERATU, FAUST, SUNRISE and TABOU.
  • edited April 2019 Posts: 3,336
    Seems like not everything Murnau touched was gold. I had to give up on the last films I put on, DER GANG IN DIE NACHT (1921) and HERR TARTUFF (1925), the former a drama and the latter a comedy. Going to check out more of his output anyway, as the first four films of his I saw were all brilliant.

Edit: PHANTOM (1922) and DER LETZTE MANN (1924) don t seem that interesting, either.

Think his greatest work was NOSFERATU, FAUST, SUNRISE and TABOU.

I really liked Der Lezte Mann up until the terrible ending. Nosferatu is decent, and Sunrise is his best work in my opinion.
    The Last Laugh and Sunrise also had an immense impact on Hollywood--they popularized camera movement and inspired the gorgeous cinematography of late silent movies. John Ford was a disciple of Murnau, as were many directors who wanted to replicate what they saw in The Last Laugh and Sunrise. Very few directors have had such beneficial impact on cinema as Murnau.
    True, he was a pioneer and well ahead. It is easy to see his influence on future works.
    THE NEW ADVENTURES OF PIPPI LONGSTOCKING (K. Annakin, 1988)
    51fokPNqk1L._SY445_.jpg

I have been curious about this, and the best I can say is that it was interesting to see, but never gonna see it again. Unlike the Swedish series and two subsequent films, which I can watch again and again. They were just perfect.
    From Jackie Brown.. .. .to Pippi Longstocking!!
    Its all here folks!!
    Pippi Longstocking sounds like an Ian Fleming character.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    In all fairness, Zippy Longstocking was mentioned in the second Austin Powers film. ;)
    Austin Powers.... now there's a blast from the past @ClarkDevlin. I can't remember much about any of those movies, other than to say I might have laughed once or twice. Maybe the fourth movie, if there ever is one, should be called You Only Laugh Twice?
    The fourth movie has been in development hell for at least 12 years. The first two are top quality comedy, if you're in for some childish humour. The third one, even though decent, was half a notch down rehash of the first two, which is the weakest in the series so far. Heck, I'm having my doubts that we'll ever get to seeing a fourth film regardless. Especially when the pop culture and society changed so much a film like Austin Powers would flop.
    edited April 2019 Posts: 4,417
    A rumored title for AP 4 was For Your Thighs Only.
    Myers went on the record in November stating that it's in the works
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    A rumored title for AP 4 was For Your Thighs Only

That is a damn good title there, but we don't need a fourth movie.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Austin Powers 4 should be titled Wave-Link.
    Myers is hellbent on delivering that Dr. Evil spinoff he was developing with Jay Roach for years.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Austin Powers 4 should be titled Wave-Link.

"He just knows, Baby."
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    Wasn't Thunderballs the rumored title for a while?
    Licence to Shag
    Shag Another Day
    edited April 2019 Posts: 23,378
    In Her Majesty's Secret Service
    giphy.gif
    SHAZAM

Read the comics in the mid 70s, and it was great finally seeing Captain Marvel on the big screen. He isn t named in the movie, though. As is so often the case with these films, the long action-filled finale is super-boring.