Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• edited May 2019 Posts: 1,644
    PIPPI LÅNGSTRUMP PÅ DE SJU HAVEN (O. Hellbom, 1970)

This was the first I saw of Pippi, in the cinema as a little kid. Still love it, the best of the two films, but the tv series is at the top.

This was prolly the very first movie i saw in cinema

(supposedly the crew served the kid actors alcohol during filming , illegal since they were minors)

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Tracy wrote: »
    Whip and body , 4.5/6

Indy 2 and NOES 2 i like despite them being hated by most fans :p

I honestly think The Dream Child and Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare are hated more than Freddy's Revenge, not to mention Wes Craven's New Nightmare, a film I myself appreciate very much but which appears to have received some nasty blows from fans upon its release.

As for Temple Of Doom, it really is my favourite Indy film next to Raiders. Crazy, adrenalised adventure flick aided tremendously by what I consider the best score Williams ever composed.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Whip and body , 4.5/6

Indy 2 and NOES 2 i like despite them being hated by most fans :p

I honestly think The Dream Child and Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare are hated more than Freddy's Revenge, not to mention Wes Craven's New Nightmare, a film I myself appreciate very much but which appears to have received some nasty blows from fans upon its release.

As for Temple Of Doom, it really is my favourite Indy film next to Raiders. Crazy, adrenalised adventure flick aided tremendously by what I consider the best score Williams ever composed.

If nothing else, I love the design for Freddy in New Nightmare.

tumblr_nw5xoiQlCM1rp0vkjo1_500.gif
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    PIPPI LÅNGSTRUMP PÅ DE SJU HAVEN (O. Hellbom, 1970)

This was the first I saw of Pippi, in the cinema as a little kid. Still love it, the best of the two films, but the tv series is at the top.

This was prolly the very first movie i saw in cinema

(supposedly the crew served the kid actors alcohol during filming , illegal since they were minors)

I heard the same thing. They were around 10-11.
    Trainspotting (1996). Highly engaging film - very intense. The Bond references were great too. Definitely a winner!
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Halloween 2018, wow this was bad very disspointed by this film, it in no way earns the right to wipe all the other sequels from Canon.

50th anniversary Easy Rider :D

Wouldve loved to have met Hopper and told him how much i enjoyed it :(
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Revisited 4 of the 5 original Star Trek Films over the past week.

Star Trek II- Wrath of Khan. Great
    Star Trek III- The Search for Spock- Good
    Star Trek The Motion Picture- OK
    Star Trek V- The Final Frontier- Pretty awful

I’d rank them the same. Wrath of Khan can’t be beat. Search for Spock is pretty solid. MP is a bit slow but fairly enjoyable still. Final Frontier is bad but has a few interesting bits.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    FoxRox wrote: »

I’d rank them the same. Wrath of Khan can’t be beat. Search for Spock is pretty solid. MP is a bit slow but fairly enjoyable still. Final Frontier is bad but has a few interesting bits.

Voyage Home is definelty my favorite. But im watching them on Amazon Prime Video and it's not in the free for members list to watch. Ill have to wait. MP is very slow. Half the film is just watching ships traveling and docking but once the Vger comes in the human form then I really enjoyed it. Final Frontier had a good idea, but it was all too cheap and cheesy. I lost interest once Kirk and Co. reached Nimbus 3 and Uhura was doing her stripper dance.
    FoxRox wrote: »

Voyage Home is definelty my favorite. But im watching them on Amazon Prime Video and it's not in the free for members list to watch. Ill have to wait. MP is very slow. Half the film is just watching ships traveling and docking but once the Vger comes in the human form then I really enjoyed it. Final Frontier had a good idea, but it was all too cheap and cheesy. I lost interest once Kirk and Co. reached Nimbus 3 and Uhura was doing her stripper dance.

Voyage Home is a fun entry. Definitely the best for comedic purposes. Of the original six, my current ranking would probably go:

1. The Wrath of Khan
    2. The Undiscovered Country
    3. The Search for Spock
    4. The Voyage Home
    5. The Motion Picture
    6. The Final Frontier

I'd like to give one a rewatch again sometime soon.
    Here's my ranking of the original cast film series:

1. THE UNDISCOVERED COUNTRY
    2. THE WRATH OF KHAN
    3. THE VOYAGE HOME
    4. THE SEARCH FOR SPOCK
    5. THE MOTION PICTURE
    6. THE FINAL FRONTIER

Been ages since I've seen some of these, but the 6th film was my favorite. Almost plays like a murder mystery in parts and IMO had a cool atmosphere.
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    Here's my ranking of the original cast film series:

1. THE UNDISCOVERED COUNTRY
    2. THE WRATH OF KHAN
    3. THE VOYAGE HOME
    4. THE SEARCH FOR SPOCK
    5. THE MOTION PICTURE
    6. THE FINAL FRONTIER

Been ages since I've seen some of these, but the 6th film was my favorite. Almost plays like a murder mystery in parts and IMO had a cool atmosphere.

Good ranking! I agree that the 6th was awesome. As good of a conclusion as one could have hoped for in the series.
    A ranking based on recent viewings and that of memory would end up being.

The Voyage Home
    The Wrath of Khan
    The Search for Spock
    The Undiscovered Country
    The Motion Picture
    The Final Frontier

2-4 is a fantastic trilogy.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I like The Final Frontier. I find it rather underrated. It's not as good as the other 5 films but it has a nice visual charm to it that really feels like the 60's show.
    Murdock wrote: »
    I like The Final Frontier. I find it rather underrated. It's not as good as the other 5 films but it has a nice visual charm to it that really feels like the 60's show.

Speaking of which, I just started the 60s show. Never had seen any of the episodes
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited May 2019 Posts: 23,465
    The Wrath of Khan
    The Motion Picture
    The Search For Spock
    The Undiscovered Country
    The Voyage Home
    The Final Frontier

I have watched them all hundreds of times, they are all great for me.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Halloween 2018, wow this was bad very disspointed by this film, it in no way earns the right to wipe all the other sequels from Canon.

Agreed. Cannot for the life of me understand the love for it.
    School of Rock (2003). A surprisingly great movie - and an awesome love letter to rock music.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    El Gringo
    hqdefault-4.jpg
    Decent little b-movie action thriller starring Scott Adkins. Adkins doesn't get to display his skill as much as he usually does. Though there is one fun sequence late in the film, where Adkins is hunted through the streets of the Mexican town he's hiding out in, and he racks up a tidy body count of scumbags.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    WIDOWS

WID-125-longform.jpg

I liked Steve McQueen's heist movie a lot, but I didn't love it.

The core appeal of Widows is seeing the mismatched group of women fight against all odds to pull off a daring heist. That stuff is there, and it's all very exciting.

Gillian Flynn's script, however, chooses to pepper this struggle with knuckle headed social commentaries and political derring-do between electoral candidates. There's nothing particularly wrong with this, either. In the moment, it's all very compelling, helped in no small part by committed performances from a talented cast.

Intertwining these two threads, however, results in the film moving along at a snail's pace which massively reduces its impact, especially when we get to the back end of a twisting, turning plot and the actual heist takes place.

It's still an interesting tale; well-acted, well shot and well scored. However, it's execution slacks in comparison with its lofty ambitions.
    Sunshine (2007). Awesome film! Decided after Trainspotting to go through Boyle’s filmography. Going in a random order, so far watched both Trainspotting films (love the first, like the second), Sunshine (great), Shallow Grave (decent), and The Beach (did not care for). Probably will post a ranking when I finish.
    WIDOWS

WID-125-longform.jpg

The core appeal of Widows is seeing the mismatched group of women fight against all odds to pull off a daring heist. That stuff is there, and it's all very exciting.

Gillian Flynn's script, however, chooses to pepper this struggle with knuckle headed social commentaries and political derring-do between electoral candidates. There's nothing particularly wrong with this, either. In the moment, it's all very compelling, helped in no small part by committed performances from a talented cast.

Intertwining these two threads, however, results in the film moving along at a snail's pace which massively reduces its impact, especially when we get to the back end of a twisting, turning plot and the actual heist takes place.

It's still an interesting tale; well-acted, well shot and well scored. However, it's execution slacks in comparison with its lofty ambitions.

The original TV series was way better!
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (S. Baker, 2017)
    The-Florida-Project-1-759x500.jpg

As far as social realism dramas go, this is very good. Excellent performances all around, but an extra shout out to the kids, who make it both funny and sad.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    @Thunderfinger How was Willem Dafoe's performance in the film?
    @Thunderfinger How was Willem Dafoe's performance in the film?

One of his best. A really sympathetic character.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Glad to hear. Amazing actor.
    Glad to hear. Amazing actor.

He can play good or bad with the same ease, and just as convincing.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    WIDOWS

WID-125-longform.jpg

The original TV series was way better!

Haven't seen it. La Plante's book is in my attic somewhere, I'll have to try and dig it out.
    Spiderman: Into the Spiderverse4K I am gobsmacked this film is incredible