Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Robbery (1967)
    A3ADF969-BD6E-4F13-ACE1-E781F25925D9.jpeg
    Stanley Baker, James Booth, George Sewell and Barry Foster star in this tightly wound fictional account of the so-called "Great Train Robbery" of 1963. Robbery has what has to be one of the most criminally overlooked car chases, that impressed Steve McQueen to the point where he hired Peter Yates (director of Robbery), to direct Bullitt.
  • edited June 2019 Posts: 17,293
    Robbery (1967)
    Stanley Baker, James Booth, George Sewell and Barry Foster star in this tightly wound fictional account of the so-called "Great Train Robbery" of 1963. Robbery has what has to be one of the most criminally overlooked car chases, that impressed Steve McQueen to the point where he hired Peter Yates (director of Robbery), to direct Bullitt.

Watched this one for the first time last year, and really enjoyed it. Bullitt is one of my favourite films, and I guess Peter Yates's directing appealed to me just as much with this one as the more famous McQueen classic. Have yet to watch any other films directed by Yates, but The Deep (1977) is on my list of films to watch.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Robbery (1967)

Watched this one for the first time last year, and really enjoyed it. Bullitt is one of my favourite films, and I guess Peter Yates's directing appealed to me just as much with this one as the more famous McQueen classic. Have yet to watch any other films directed by Yates, but The Deep (1977) is on my list of films to watch.

With all due respect to Peter Yates, the only thing I remember from The Deep, is.... *clears throat*.... Jackie Bissett.
    Robbery (1967)

With all due respect to Peter Yates, the only thing I remember from The Deep, is.... *clears throat*.... Jackie Bissett.

She's obviously one of the reasons it's on my list! :-D
    Would be preferable if the film was a good one of course.
    Robbery (1967)

It's why I watched it... I mean, for Jacqueline Bissett. Going into the film, I didn't know why so many people said "Oh I remember The Deep" followed by a wink. Yeah, now I know. ;)
    Robbery (1967)

It's why I watched it... I mean, for Jacqueline Bissett. Going into the film, I didn't know why so many people said "Oh I remember The Deep" followed by a wink. Yeah, now I know. ;)

You just made me place it on the further up on the list :-D
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Just watched Bad Times at the El Royale. If Sam Shepherd had written a Tarantino film (or vice versa) this is what it would look like.

Dakota Johnson's acting skills are getting better and better.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    Dark Phoenix has really gotten a bad rap. It's not horrible by any means. I enjoyed it more than Apocalypse, although perhaps that's not saying much. There are some great sequences (loved the opening space shuttle scene) and some really good character moments. It's been an interesting journey with these actors since First Class.

It definitely has flaws. Sometimes the continuity between these films is confusing (it's 1992 now and they don't look much older than they were in the 60's in FC) and the whole thing can feel a little run of the mill at times. It's also pretty predictable.

Anyway, not the best this franchise has to offer, but certainly not the worst in my book. I'd also rank it above The Last Stand and Wolverine Origins. Give it a chance.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    pachazo wrote: »
    Dark Phoenix has really gotten a bad rap. It's not horrible by any means. I enjoyed it more than Apocalypse, although perhaps that's not saying much. There are some great sequences (loved the opening space shuttle scene) and some really good character moments. It's been an interesting journey with these actors since First Class.

It definitely has flaws. Sometimes the continuity between these films is confusing (it's 1992 now and they don't look much older than they were in the 60's in FC) and the whole thing can feel a little run of the mill at times. It's also pretty predictable.

Anyway, not the best this franchise has to offer, but certainly not the worst in my book. I'd also rank it above The Last Stand and Wolverine Origins. Give it a chance.

I plan on seeing it this week.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."

I plan on seeing it this week.

IMO, despite all its faults, Dark Phoenix has the best climax in the X-Men franchise. That entire sequence was properly badass and brutal.
  • edited June 2019 Posts: 1,469
    The Holcroft Covenant is on TV right now. Never seen it before. But fun to see in it, along with Michael Caine, Michael Lonsdale and Shane Rimmer (TSWLM, YOLT). Great to see Bernard Hepton is this too! Loved his work in the "George Smiley" miniseries. Also in the film is Mario Adorf, who played Claus Kretschmar in Smiley's People. I'm reading that the reviews for this aren't the best, but I'm enjoying it so far anyway.
    Just finished it...yeah, good stars and interesting in places, but I give it maybe 5 stars out of 10.
  • Artemis81Artemis81 In Christmas Land
    Dark Phoenix
    My sisters and I were debating whether to see this or Aladdin, but afterwards, we all agreed we should have seen Aladdin. The movie was just "meh". It was sort like the studio put a bunch of stuff together with no good storyline and like this is the last movie so why should be care and "here you go!". It started off fine, but just ended flat. Any positives were that the acting was good, a couple of good actions scenes (train) and my sister said "the makeup was on point". However, we both agreed there wasn't enough of Michael Fassbender. I liked him and James McAvoy in their respective roles, but is this how you send them off?

Pretty much my appreciation. Just to add : I felt it was a bit rushed. Never quite understood the villains' motivations, for example. But all in all, a good popcorn movie, but not the finale I expected. And I loved the appearance of
    Dazzler
    Thrasos wrote: »
    The Holcroft Covenant is on TV right now. Never seen it before. But fun to see in it, along with Michael Caine, Michael Lonsdale and Shane Rimmer (TSWLM, YOLT). Great to see Bernard Hepton is this too! Loved his work in the "George Smiley" miniseries. Also in the film is Mario Adorf, who played Claus Kretschmar in Smiley's People. I'm reading that the reviews for this aren't the best, but I'm enjoying it so far anyway.
    Just finished it...yeah, good stars and interesting in places, but I give it maybe 5 stars out of 10.

You were too generous!!
    Terrible film, and a huge comedown for the once brilliant John Frankenheimar!
    Godzilla - king of the monsters - a night out with the daughters who really enjoyed this movie which is in fact a big Monster battle with a few human stuff thrown in, too be honest a shedload of loud noises but a really entertaining movie. A nice nod too two players from the Japanese movies who did die earlier. Watch the titles at the end of the movie which tells you about the aftermath of the movie and a certain direction a sequel would be going. And after the whole crew has bee mentioned there is still a little moment to open the way for another sequel.
    And that kid from Stranger Things is simply brilliant.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    Thrasos wrote: »

Carl Rigg (imposter from TLD) is also in the film.

Any thoughts on the music score?
  • edited June 2019 Posts: 1,639
    I was watching Way of Dragon and something seemed off , they prolly cut the bank and hooker scene on the italian version , hah (gonna check the vhs , I only recorded the sound)

In the US they cut the hooker scene and toilet scene , they prolly thought the humor too Chinese......actually the hooker scene was longer (Tang was to hold around the hooker while she was topless but they told ms Longo that it was under Lee's dignity to film such a scene after being big star in SE Asia)
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Tracy wrote: »
    I was watching Way of Dragon and something seemed off , they prolly cut the bank and hooker scene on the italian version , hah (gonna check the vhs , I only recorded the sound)

In the US they cut the hooker scene and toilet scene , they prolly thought the humor too Chinese......actually the hooker scene was longer (Tang was to hold around the hooker while she was topless but they told ms Longo that it was under Lee's dignity to film such a scene after being big star in SE Asia)

I have a HK uncut version- all of it is there.
    Tracy wrote: »

The first time it appeared in France, four scenes were cut, including the one before the italian prostitue scene, and two scenes before and after the big Coliseum fight (including what happened to the bad guy). When I saw the german version of the movie later on (in 1981, while in Trier), I saw those scenes, but the fight scenes had been heavily censored. The new french version DVD had everything reinstaured.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited June 2019 Posts: 23,375
    Dark Phoenix of course they can adapt the story much better than this, though taking the film for what it is I really enjoyed it.

The tone was refreshing the film had some great character scenes.

This made me think a lot more than many of the recent empty headed films in the genre.

Great score by Hans Zimmer, one major issue that I cant ignore was the villain, which does not help the final act though there are some cool Xmen stuff.
    Just watched DAD for Father's day! So much fun! My Son said that it was a perfect 'Flint' movie. I felt it was more, but then I love Brosnan....
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Just watched DAD for Father's day! So much fun! My Son said that it was a perfect 'Flint' movie. I felt it was more, but then I love Brosnan....

Ugh, that would ruin my Fathers Day!
    I went with LTK, now that's a Bond movie!
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Mathis1 wrote: »

With DAD , like several other Bonds, a couple of changes would have help immensely. I find it a very entertaining “ light” Bond .
    As far as changes, eliminate the tidal wave excess and change Berry’s approach to her portrayal of Jinx; she needed more sophistication than street. She’s a talented, gorgeous actress and was wasted.
    These two adjustments along would have improved the film considerably.

talos7 wrote: »
    Mathis1 wrote: »

With DAD , like several other Bonds, a couple of changes would have help immensely. I find it a very entertaining “ light” Bond .
    As far as changes, eliminate the tidal wave excess and change Berry’s approach to her portrayal of Jinx; she needed more sophistication than street. She’s a talented, gorgeous actress and was wasted.
    These two adjustments along would have improved the film considerably.

I concur!
  • edited June 2019 Posts: 1,639
    Way of Dragon italian (bank scene cut , also Chen Ti's line at the end "wherever Tang Lung goes he will always travel by himself" , they also used music from HK version during Coliseum......Italian theme song sounds a bit "sleazy" compared to the bombastic/heroic HK theme , he he)
    The Witch (2015). Finally got around to seeing this much-hyped horror film. I didn't hate it, but I didn't really love it either. There's a few good tense moments and a palpable sense of paranoia, but it still felt a bit empty as a collective experience. It was okay I guess, but I probably won't see it again anytime soon.
    The Omen (1976). Got to see it for my first time. A truly excellent horror film and exceeded my expectations.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    FoxRox wrote: »
    The Omen (1976). Got to see it for my first time. A truly excellent horror film and exceeded my expectations.

Glad you enjoyed THE OMEN, @FoxRox. Now, should you ever feel a desire to watch something else in the series, please be prepared to face mediocrity. OMEN II and OMEN III are watchable, mostly because of Goldsmith's contributions and some interesting performances (e.g. Sam Neil in OMEN III) here and there. OMEN IV is a redundant piece of nothing and the remake of the original is, well, just the same thing all over again. Nothing beats the original for sure.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    FoxRox wrote: »

Glad you enjoyed THE OMEN, @FoxRox. Now, should you ever feel a desire to watch something else in the series, please be prepared to face mediocrity. OMEN II and OMEN III are watchable, mostly because of Goldsmith's contributions and some interesting performances (e.g. Sam Neil in OMEN III) here and there. OMEN IV is a redundant piece of nothing and the remake of the original is, well, just the same thing all over again. Nothing beats the original for sure.

I haven t seen the remake, but have seen all the others and the original is the only one I own.
    The original is best. 2 and 3 were... ok. All I remember from 4 is the overuse of inverted crucifixes. Never seen the remake, even though I have the Pentology DVD set, where it's included.