No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

acidie wrote: »
    Im honestly not worried in the slightest.

+1
    Neither am I, to tell you the truth. They all seem to be enjoying it, so I believe I will too. ;)
  • Bentley007Bentley007 Manitoba, Canada
    ColonelSun wrote: »
    Shardlake wrote: »
    I think people put too much stock in Baz, I know he seems like our conduit to information but let's face it he writes for the Daily Mail, can't say I put much trust in someone that would work for such a substitute for toilet paper.

I've got the feeling ever since Craig became Bond that the press really don't like him. He doesn't play their game and they had to begrudgingly go back on all their muck raking about him being wrong for the part, when the critics raved about his performance in CR.

Yes I am one of the optimistic ones probably too for some tastes but I feel this film is going in the right direction.

Look people soiled themselves over MI 6 and that script was written while the film was being made, this thing seems to happen more and more these days.

Unfortunately it allows the doom merchants and sceptics to say I told you so.

I'm sorry Baz is not God to me and from the flavour of his article he's not getting the access he'd like, in fact I think the press might well have been locked out of this because they have tendency to spoil things, don't they?

We live in a society that seems to like this, some here for instance would happily walk into the cinema next April practically knowing everything they are going to see.

Well that is their prerogative, although I'm old-fashioned and would like to enter the cinema with something to surprise me and would rather the like of the Daily Mail's so called scoopmeister some of you rest on every word of, to not give everything away.

Baz definitely isn't getting the stories he'd like so his alternative to slag the film off, wise move to burn your bridges Baz.

Yes 100% in agreement

And I know from some past experience, Baz has a hugely inflated ego. Almost all productions have re-writes of various degrees through out production, it is completely standard.

Could it be they are just trying different takes with alternative dialogue for the best possible take to be in the film? Baz suggests the story hasn't changed and that its mostly dialogue that's being adjusted. This seems natural as often the what looks good written can come off differently once spoken.
    If it's just dialogue they're tinkering with then clearly it's a total non story. Just business as usual.
  • rewrites while a film is in production are nothing new. Its been happening for decades. its just that before the internet we never really heard about it until later. imagine if the internet had been around when Spielberg was having all those problems on the set of JAWS. Everyone would be thinking the film is going to be a disaster. If I remember correctly there were plenty of rewrites going on during the filming. Not sure how all the problems of the shark not working...the film was over budget over schedule were reported way back then. It was probably only mentioned in the trades like Variety.
    Anyway. We all now know how JAWS turned out.
    Some of the best dialogue is written by script doctors and under stress and pressure. Most of Ronin's brilliant and scarce dialogue was written this way by David Mamet, no less.

It's not as though Craig is writing the script as they go along, like he had to do for QOS, with Forster. This time we have some grand poobahs working on this. It will be just fine.
    Yeah, you never heard of script doctors or even re writes much before the internet. I was genuinely surprised that Carrie Fisher was one of Hollywood's most saught after "script doctors". It makes perfect sense to me that they would be constantly working on it during production. I actually think, its more to do with perfectionism than a problem. But im a glass half full guy when it comes to Bond.
  • edited May 2019 Posts: 53
    I am also unconcerned. Thing is with big franchises people prefer to overemphasise to the point of exaggeration that which is going wrong rather than that anything going right. Things are easily twisted. Per example I saw a headline only in the last week that screamed "chef walks off daytime TV show after furious arguement"... Only for it to turn out all in jest, but good nature does not apparently breed a good story. Are there problems with the production? Yes I imagine so, I imagine there are such problems with any production... Well oiled machines are it seems a thing of the past (though that maybe because in the past there was less avenues to report, discuss and thereby opinionate as fact on "issues" both on and off set). Editing whilst producing and improvisation whilst delivering are probably I feel part and parcel of film making now. But if the impression that the journalists are seriously trying to pass round is that the director, leading actor and script doctor are currently sitting on set whilst filming anxiously thinking "what would James Bond say when he caught this giant fish"... Well I'm not buying that view for a moment.
    Yeah, you never heard of script doctors or even re writes much before the internet. I was genuinely surprised that Carrie Fisher was one of Hollywood's most saught after "script doctors". It makes perfect sense to me that they would be constantly working on it during production. I actually think, its more to do with perfectionism than a problem. But im a glass half full guy when it comes to Bond.

Tom Mankiewicz, in the later stages of his career, was also a noted script doctor.
  • edited May 2019 Posts: 820
    My first reaction was to be very worried. Baz is Baz, he's certainly been -- as someone said -- a reliable conduit of information, even in this production.

But this is just such an unnecessarily targeted almost-hit piece against EON and, somewhat, Craig. This isn't news. It's not even gossip. It's utterly out of character for him to be on a byline for something like this .

Agree with an earlier supposition. This seems like retribution for something else, or he's burning his bridges knowing the era of information's over.

Highly unexpected, but as someone else also mentioned: the names in control of this thing are too talented for it to be that sloppy or just plain bad. I have faith.

EDIT: Reading it again, two things jump out to me that seem especially out of character for Baz. First off, he clearly confirms Boyle's intention to kill off 007. Seems like a major reveal/confirmation. And that last line...."a reluctant Bond, playing a reluctant Bond"...just clearly isn't true, and is such a pointed swipe at Daniel.

There's clearly more to this than meets the eye.
    Bentley007 wrote: »
    ColonelSun wrote: »
    Shardlake wrote: »
    I think people put too much stock in Baz, I know he seems like our conduit to information but let's face it he writes for the Daily Mail, can't say I put much trust in someone that would work for such a substitute for toilet paper.

I've got the feeling ever since Craig became Bond that the press really don't like him. He doesn't play their game and they had to begrudgingly go back on all their muck raking about him being wrong for the part, when the critics raved about his performance in CR.

Yes I am one of the optimistic ones probably too for some tastes but I feel this film is going in the right direction.

Look people soiled themselves over MI 6 and that script was written while the film was being made, this thing seems to happen more and more these days.

Unfortunately it allows the doom merchants and sceptics to say I told you so.

I'm sorry Baz is not God to me and from the flavour of his article he's not getting the access he'd like, in fact I think the press might well have been locked out of this because they have tendency to spoil things, don't they?

We live in a society that seems to like this, some here for instance would happily walk into the cinema next April practically knowing everything they are going to see.

Well that is their prerogative, although I'm old-fashioned and would like to enter the cinema with something to surprise me and would rather the like of the Daily Mail's so called scoopmeister some of you rest on every word of, to not give everything away.

Baz definitely isn't getting the stories he'd like so his alternative to slag the film off, wise move to burn your bridges Baz.

Yes 100% in agreement

And I know from some past experience, Baz has a hugely inflated ego. Almost all productions have re-writes of various degrees through out production, it is completely standard.

Could it be they are just trying different takes with alternative dialogue for the best possible take to be in the film? Baz suggests the story hasn't changed and that its mostly dialogue that's being adjusted. This seems natural as often the what looks good written can come off differently once spoken.

We already know Waller-Bridge is focusing on the female characters. Dialogue is tweaked and adjusted or even dropped all the time. Sometimes a look or a pause can express far more than words - but in a script a writer is frequently asked to spell things out in the dialogue for the studio suits to understand what's going on -- I've had to do that so many times when I've known the dialogue is not needed and will be dropped come shooting. Scripts often adjust while rehearsing and blocking (staging) a scene.

As for Baz, he also makes out Craig is a reluctant actor playing a reluctant Bond, which I find to be the same old tabloid BS.
    Is Waller-Bridge working out in Jamaica or here atm ?
  • StrelikStrelik Spectre Island
    edited May 2019 Posts: 108
    I don't view Baz's article to be a hit-piece on Craig whatsoever.

We know for a fact that, after Quantum of Solace, Craig openly stated he never wanted to experience similar chaotic shoot where they begin production with an unfinished or unpolished script. We likewise know the P&W's original script for Bond 25 was—unsurprisingly—lackluster based on earlier reports. It is quite understandable Craig doesn't relish the idea of replicating his Quantum of Solace experience, and hence he would be understandably reluctant about rushing into shooting without a good script.

If anything, Baz's article confirms what we have always known about Craig as an actor: He demands a modicum of quality in his scripts before shooting and, frankly, that's a good thing.
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    Wow, Jamaica filming has officially wrapped. That was fast!
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    Only two weeks in Jamaica? I thought they said they would stay there at least until the end of May.
    all this doom and gloom stuff makes me laugh remember Jaws the film literally went through so many rewrites and developments
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    edited May 2019 Posts: 1,755
    Perhaps they thought it would take longer than it actually did. My guess is there are no
    major action scenes in Jamaica, unless they're saving those scenes for Pinewood, doubling as Jamaica. Otherwise, I can't imagine much of the movie will take place there.
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    Perhaps they thought it would take longer than it actually did. My guess is there are no
    major action scenes in Jamaica, unless they're saving those scenes for Pinewood, doubling as Jamaica. Otherwise, I can't imagine much of the movie will take place there.

2 weeks shoot might give us about 10 mins of screen time (if we are talking dialogue and character scenes and not any serious action scenes) or less.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Risico007 wrote: »
    all this doom and gloom stuff makes me laugh remember Jaws the film literally went through so many rewrites and developments

With the screenwriter on set , even cast in a role!

• SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.
    Only two weeks in Jamaica? I thought they said they would stay there at least until the end of May.

Must be the rewrites. :D
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    I thought somewhere it said they would be there through the end of May I guess they were wrong.
    A wrap for the 1st Unit. 2nd unit might still be shooting.
    007Blofeld wrote: »
    Red_Snow wrote: »
    Naomie Harris talks Bond 25 at GQ Heroes

Speaking at British GQ Heroes, Naomie Harris said that she does not have any details on Bond 25 and that the cast will likely only receive their own part of the script to read, something that did not happen on previous films.

I bet this is why https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-7012949/BAZ-BAMIGBOYE-Bond-25-script-endlessly-written.html

Garbage, I have lost faith in baz from now

@Resurrection Yeah I hope he isn't right
    Zekidk wrote: »
    A wrap for the 1st Unit. 2nd unit might still be shooting.

Yes very likely. 2nd Unit would get the big establishing shots and more with doubles for Craig etc.
    edited May 2019 Posts: 3,126
    AgentM72 wrote: »
    My first reaction was to be very worried. Baz is Baz, he's certainly been -- as someone said -- a reliable conduit of information, even in this production.

But this is just such an unnecessarily targeted almost-hit piece against EON and, somewhat, Craig. This isn't news. It's not even gossip. It's utterly out of character for him to be on a byline for something like this .

Agree with an earlier supposition. This seems like retribution for something else, or he's burning his bridges knowing the era of information's over.

Highly unexpected, but as someone else also mentioned: the names in control of this thing are too talented for it to be that sloppy or just plain bad. I have faith.

EDIT: Reading it again, two things jump out to me that seem especially out of character for Baz. First off, he clearly confirms Boyle's intention to kill off 007. Seems like a major reveal/confirmation. And that last line...."a reluctant Bond, playing a reluctant Bond"...just clearly isn't true, and is such a pointed swipe at Daniel.

There's clearly more to this than meets the eye.

@AgentM72 yeah he sounds like angry about something probably he can't get a precious reliable scoop I remember when he interviewed Babs and Michael about the female Bond thing and it's like really dude your not the one in charge.
    But no exterior action setpiece. We now know that for a fact. Shame...
    I thought that the filming in Jamaica was going to be until the end of this month of May. What will be the next location? Italy or Pinewood Studios?
  • HildebrandRarityHildebrandRarity Centre international d'assistance aux personnes déplacées, Paris, France
    All the action set pieces have been more or less inscribed in stone, as they have to do some planning about the locations, the approvals by the authorities, the tax grants, storyboarding, etc. Besides, the second unit is usually in charge of many things, which is why it's the part of the film that's finalized first.
    That means that most of the structure, including the story beats, is also finalized at this point. They won't rewrite an entire third act, given that they couldn't change the place where it's set, as their schedule doesn't allow such changes.
    The only thing that can be refined at this point is dialog, and small scenes, preferably ones that can be shot at Pinewood.

Regarding Baz Bamigboye, the tone is quite sour, and it looks like he's trying to describe a problematic situation... or it's just the jealous reaction of someone who's been shunned from the production due to secrecy concerns (or the overall diminishing influence of his reports over the years). Many (including most of us) expected him to have some insider scoop, given his track record for the previous films. He doesn't have any here. What's a gossip columnist is supposed to do? Acknowledge that he's lost his insider status, or paint a picture of a troubled production, that will contribute to the negative coverage that's already started in the other British tabloids and show Eon that he can do some harm if he doesn't get the same treatment as for the previous films?
    007Blofeld wrote: »
    Red_Snow wrote: »
    Naomie Harris talks Bond 25 at GQ Heroes

Speaking at British GQ Heroes, Naomie Harris said that she does not have any details on Bond 25 and that the cast will likely only receive their own part of the script to read, something that did not happen on previous films.
    "Not an issue." (It is.)
    "This is completely normal." (It isn't.)

It isn't unheard of either.

According to this, only Robert Downey Jr. got to see the full script during the production of Avengers: Endgame, which is a massive success. Members of the cast are only given scripts that are important to their storyline, which seems like what Naomie Harris is dealing with here. It wasn't an issue there, why is it now?
    This is normal practice in case of mega franchises with millions of obsessed fans around the globe who are addicted to leaks. Bond is different. Most Bond fans are casual fans, nothing more. There are very few of us, hardcore fans. Compare the size of Game of Thrones, or Marvel or Star Wars subreddits to the Bond subreddit.

@PanchitoPistoles You can't base a fanbase size on fan reddit alone alot of people are die hard Bond fans just because your a casual fan or what have you doesn't mean we are all like you not trying get personal or anything.

You're delusional if you think Bond has a hardcore fan base at this point comparable to what Marvel has.
    All the action set pieces have been more or less inscribed in stone, as they have to do some planning about the locations, the approvals by the authorities, the tax grants, storyboarding, etc.
    So far we only know of one: the car chase in Matera. Every Bond movie has at least three.