The NHL Thread

Comments

• thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    @peter I think you are on to something. He is set in his ways. That can be a good thing as the stability is good. However when it comes to game 7 I think, like you stated, there needs to be urgency and some attempts to get the best players playing their best.

He's not going to change I think he is who he is. I think he's taken us far, I doubt we see him as the coach of the Leafs by the end of his contract. Sheldon Keefe would be my choice for a coach for this team.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @thedove , I agree with everything you say... And you used the most important word: URGENCY... Christ, if you're not throwing everything onto the ice in Game 7....

Yes, Keefe deserves his shot before another NHL team nabs him (280+ games lost to injury this year, plus, the Leafs poached from last year Calder's winners, and he still got into 7th spot, swept the first round of the play offs and is moving into the second round!!!). He's creative and a coach that is on his toes. Winning touch.
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    I see Both semis in the Western conference are in game 7s
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Stupid Bruins
    Stupid Bruins

+1. So sick of Boston sports teams always winning.
    what would happen if all 4 won this year it must be rigged
  • WillardWhyteWillardWhyte Midnight Society #ProjectMoon
    Bruins blow
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I know nearly everyone hates Boston, but I couldn't help but be happy that they eliminated Columbus last night. Still insane that they swept Tampa Bay, and I know it must be tough going all in on the postseason and not getting out of the second round. They should look quite different next season.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I know nearly everyone hates Boston, but I couldn't help but be happy that they eliminated Columbus last night. Still insane that they swept Tampa Bay, and I know it must be tough going all in on the postseason and not getting out of the second round. They should look quite different next season.

Many NHL fans (myself included) do not like the Bruins mainly because of Brad Marchand. He rubs a lot of people the wrong way with his antics. As for the Bruins as a whole, they might be the most complete team. Rask is a great goalie and is very underrated in my opinion, Boston is great defensively and have the scoring depth to compete against any other team. Tampa Bay on the other hand relied on pure skill and offense this season but they didn't have the grit and adversity necessary to compete in the playoffs.

On a side note, I encourage everyone to check out nhl shrp sports where you can check out all teams' seasons and scores in each game over the years, as well as playoff brackets. I have noticed a common trend that it is actually preferable to play a harder, longer series in the long run rather than a sweep. The long layoff has appeared to be a greater disadvantage than playing a 7 game series. Winning a series in 6 games appears to be the most beneficial though.
    Of course the Blues won. Sigh. At this rate I’ll probably be stuck with a Blues-Bruins final.
    I just hope the Hurricanes have another upset in them. Even though they have front-cheering fans. Gotta love Grapes calling it like he sees it.
    I think the sharks will beat the av's but ive been wrong in these playoffs already
    So bummed, Bishop had a fantastic game and the Stars missed one too many open net opportunities. Blah, really don't care who wins now.

Many NHL fans (myself included) do not like the Bruins mainly because of Brad Marchand. He rubs a lot of people the wrong way with his antics. As for the Bruins as a whole, they might be the most complete team. Rask is a great goalie and is very underrated in my opinion, Boston is great defensively and have the scoring depth to compete against any other team. Tampa Bay on the other hand relied on pure skill and offense this season but they didn't have the grit and adversity necessary to compete in the playoffs.

On a side note, I encourage everyone to check out nhl shrp sports where you can check out all teams' seasons and scores in each game over the years, as well as playoff brackets. I have noticed a common trend that it is actually preferable to play a harder, longer series in the long run rather than a sweep. The long layoff has appeared to be a greater disadvantage than playing a 7 game series. Winning a series in 6 games appears to be the most beneficial though.

Marchand was indeed unlikeable in the series. But Boston's top players came alive in the the final 3 games and they won it.

I also didn't like McAvoy's cheap shot on Josh Anderson in game 5, putting a shoulder into his jaw and not getting more than 2 minutes on the penalty. It reminded me of the Saints getting screwed by the refs in this year's NFC championship game.

And, yes, Columbus may look different and struggle next season and beyond, but who knows. It's the chance you take going all in and I was glad for the ride.
    Yes a bold move by the GM to push all the chips into the centre. I can see them re-signing a few of their pick ups and who knows maybe their free agents look at them differently now that they made a little run.

• Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    I want a Carolina-St Louis Finals.

But knowing my luck it'll be Boston and San Jose
    As much as I dislike the Blues, I’d still rather see them go all the way over Boston. A first-time Stanley Cup winner is much more interesting.
    The two west teams both look like teams of destiny. The Sharks trailing 3-0 in game seven with 9 minutes left to play and they win the game and the series. Admittedly on a wrong call by the referees.

The Blues, in last place overall on January 1st and now in the Western Conference final. Do they have enough gas in the tank to continue this historic run.

Meanwhile in the East, you got the surging Hurricanes (see what I did there?). The jerks who seem to have good karma and the big bad Bruins. Not sure what the story line is with the Bruins? Marchand and his one word answers?

I am hoping Big Joe gets to drink from Lord Stanley. But seeing former Leafs Bozak and Steen sip from Lord Stanley's mug would be pretty cool too.
  • Artemis81Artemis81 In Christmas Land

As a Bruins fan, it good to hear something nice. I agree on Brad Marchand - even though he's on my team, I don't like some of things he does - him and Chara. As for Rask, it's hard for some people (especially Bruins fans) to see how good he is because he's been spotty in the past. This post season he been great and has come through in some tough games.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I hear Putin has become a skilled ice hockey player.
    ^ Scored 8 goals I heard. Though that fall onto the mat... hilarious.
    Artemis81 wrote: »
    ^ Scored 8 goals I heard. Though that fall onto the mat... hilarious.

The mat was swiftly executed and burned after the game.
    I thought that fans in the background who were laughing were going to get the same treatment. :P
    I turned the game off when it was 5-2 sharks they scored 8 goals last night?
    007Blofeld wrote: »

Final score was 6-3, you're getting mixed up with the exhibition game Putin played.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

Final score was 6-3, you're getting mixed up with the exhibition game Putin played.

Putin beats the sharks any day.
    734403_213100295480827_597821999_n.jpg

Putin beats the sharks any day.
    734403_213100295480827_597821999_n.jpg

Spoilers for the next Rambo installment.

The Sharks looked really good last night. Unfortunately for St. Louis, I feel like they lost their magic after the first round. They didn't play too great against Dallas and it looked pretty similar last night.

@Creasy47 ok
    Great rebound for St. Louis in game 2. This series is going the distance. Can't say the same about Boston and Carolina. It'll be done in 5.