The NHL Thread

Comments

• 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    edited April 2019 Posts: 3,126
    BT3366 wrote: »
    CBJ are my team. You don't know how great it feels to get not just this first-ever playoff series win, but against a team like Tampa Bay. Especially after last year's implosion against the Caps.

It ain't easy being an Ohio sports fan sometimes with teams like the Cincinnati Reds and Bengals never being able to get playoff wins and the Cleveland Indians the past couple seasons after that near World Series win in '16.

Congratulations :) you sure showed Tampa Bay I don't blame you should be excited after that performance. @BT3366
  • peterpeter Toronto
    007Blofeld wrote: »
    CBJ are my team. You don't know how great it feels to get not just this first-ever playoff series win, but against a team like Tampa Bay. Especially after last year's implosion against the Caps.

It ain't easy being an Ohio sports fan sometimes with teams like the Cincinnati Reds and Bengals never being able to get playoff wins and the Cleveland Indians the past couple seasons after that near World Series win in '16.

Congratulations :) you sure showed Tampa Bay I don't blame you should be excited after that performance. @BT3366

Agreed... Enjoy this time and relish that TB had zero answers for Columbus' attack... I wonder how the TB brass are going to go into the summer-- what the hell happened to their season... and how do they course correct (they're obviously spilling over with talent, but talent only gets you so far in the playoffs... They have to find sandpaper with big hearts.... Easier said than done, and who do you trade away? And does anyone know how the salary cap is straining TB's budget? I have a feeling they're close to the max?)?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

I was saying last night there really isn't a "better" way to get your first playoff series win than dominating the best regular season team in ages. Hopefully that success continues for them, will be interesting to see how the (possibly inevitable) CBJ/Washington match-up goes again this time around.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    For some reason, I don't see Columbus getting past either Boston or Toronto but I was wrong already once with them. I thought when they were getting steamrolled in the first period of Game 1 that they'd end up just being a practice opponent for Tampa. We all were wrong.
    For some reason, I don't see Columbus getting past either Boston or Toronto but I was wrong already once with them. I thought when they were getting steamrolled in the first period of Game 1 that they'd end up just being a practice opponent for Tampa. We all were wrong.

Too right. Someone set up a quick bracket system over on Reddit that about 40,000 people participated in, and after last night, there is ONE bracket that's still in play as being correct...meaning one person actually guessed both Tampa Bay and Pittsburgh would be swept in the first round.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    So it's now going to be Islanders vs either Caps or Hurricanes and Blue Jackets vs either Bruins or Leafs. Imagine the emotion for Islanders vs Caps with the former coach coming back to derail a repeat champion? Not much history between Bruins, Leafs or Blue Jackets. But the Blue Jackets would be underdogs again and that's always a great story line.

Suddenly the East looks wide open.
    I'd definitely be rooting for Trotz and the Islanders in that scenario. Surely the Caps would be a bit upset in the ironic fact that they didn't keep Trotz, only to have him topple them in the playoffs.
    The Sharks just played some of the most magical hockey I've ever seen in my life.
    Golden Knights tie it with barely any time. Man. What a game.
    My Leafs flame out again. I really have a hate on for Boston.

It shall be an interesting off season in Leafland. Some big questions for Babcock. Why does Matthews get just 3 minutes more ice time then Patrick Marleau? Why don't you deviate from the plan and show some adjustments to what the Bruins are doing?

I think this team needs some heart or some grit. Every big game this year they laid an egg. Tavares homecoming game to the Island the team doesn't show up. They don't seem to play to the occasion. This team is lacking something. It's up to Dubas to figure out what it is.
    So glad the Sharks won. When their captain went down the way he did I cheered for them hard. And they earned it. What an amazing game.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    I'll be rooting for anyone not named Boston. I would love to see a Carolina upset tonight.
    thedove wrote: »

It shall be an interesting off season in Leafland. Some big questions for Babcock. Why does Matthews get just 3 minutes more ice time then Patrick Marleau? Why don't you deviate from the plan and show some adjustments to what the Bruins are doing?

I think this team needs some heart or some grit. Every big game this year they laid an egg. Tavares homecoming game to the Island the team doesn't show up. They don't seem to play to the occasion. This team is lacking something. It's up to Dubas to figure out what it is.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Babcock go. How you're in such a situation in a Game 7 and Matthews isn't even hitting 20 minutes played is beyond me.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

I wouldn't be surprised to see Babcock go. How you're in such a situation in a Game 7 and Matthews isn't even hitting 20 minutes played is beyond me.

They're committed to Babcock. Name a better available coach?

Currently, there isn't one, but surely something is to be said of not getting past the first round since, what, 2013 or so?
  • peterpeter Toronto

Currently, there isn't one, but surely something is to be said of not getting past the first round since, what, 2013 or so?

I dont think Babcock has been out of the first or second round since 2009.

A better coach would be Sheldon Keefe. If I was Dubas, I’d fire Babcock’s two assistants, bring up Keefe to run the special teams, and, if Babcock remains so bloody stubborn and lacking in creativity (line-up shuffling), and not ride the stars in big games, then get rid of him by January, Keefe steps in...

I’m so pissed right now. Pissed with the coaching staff, pissed with the team who stands there like idiots while Chara punches Tavares, knocking him to the ice. I mean seriously, WTF is up with that???

I would love to at least make the playoffs as much as Toronto has in the past 6 years
  • peterpeter Toronto
    great article on Sheldon and what he's done with our development of players (look how many of his players now are on the leafs)...

https://editorinleaf.com/2019/04/22/toronto-maple-leafs-sheldon-keefe-masterpiece/
    I'll be rooting for anyone not named Boston. I would love to see a Carolina upset tonight.

I hate Boston as well. The Blues, Capitals, and Bruins are my least favorites remaining. I’d most want to see either the Blue Jackets or Sharks pull it off.
    I want a Carolina-Dallas finals. Only to see all of Canada excluding @peter just lose their minds
    I'm rooting for Dallas to win it all, but honestly, if any team wins the Cup that isn't Washington, I'll be very happy.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I want a Carolina-Dallas finals. Only to see all of Canada excluding @peter just lose their minds

Lol!!!
    Well that was a topsy turvy first round of playoffs. Who are we predicting in the next round? Will upsets continue to happen? Do any of the 4 wild cards have another upset them in them?

West

Sharks VS Avs
    Blues VS Stars

East

Bruins VS Blue Jackets
    Islanders VS Hurricanes
    Predictions:

Sharks over Avalanche in 6
    Blues over Stars in 7
    Blue Jackets over Bruins in 7
    Islanders over Hurricanes in 6

Who I most want to win? Sharks, Stars, Blue Jackets, and Hurricanes.
    Sharks in 7
    Blues in 6
    Boston in 5
    Islanders in 6.

Who i want is Columbus, Carolina, Dallas and Colorado
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Hey @thedove : being a fellow Toronto fan: Babcock??? Thoughts???

Aren’t star players expected to play big time minutes? And Hymann with an Acl damage plays more than Matthews???
    Lots of questions in Toronto for sure. I love Babcock because he brings stability to the lineup and guys seem to know their roles. What I don't like about Babcock is the in game management. I remember Pat Burns and he could tell who had the jump and who didn't. Guys were shuffled and given ice time within the game. Babcock is way more set in his ways. To me the travesty is Marleau getting more minutes then Moore or Ennis. I wouldn't have played Gardner and had a healthy D man in there. You can't tell me Rosen or Holl wouldn't have been better.

Dubas wears some of the roster set up. We had a great AHL goalie as the back up when he has never done back up. Babcock likes to have the back up just play on back to backs. If you know that your coach likes his netminders a certain way...why give him a square peg for the round hole. I would have traded Sparks and kept McLinney. You let the Nylander thing drag on and on. Okay so you were fighting the demand of the player but in the end he ended up getting what everyone thought he'd get...some might say the Leafs caved.

I hope that someone has a heart to heart with Marleau and tells him it's fourth line in Toronto, or a trade to another team. I hope they address the back up goalie situation. I hope Dubas gets Babcock someone that can manage in game better or at least be a voice for those in game personal decsions.

I would like to see the lines look like this:

Tavares Hyman and Marner
    Mathews Nylander and Kappen
    Kadri Moore and Ennis
    Gauthier Brown and Marleau
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @thedove, that's not a bad line-up, at all. My problem with Babcock is something you touched on: Babcock is set in his ways.

The last time he got out of the first or second round was in 2009.... ouch... That means the game has changed in a decade and he still coaches the same way...

... and his teams were more or less veteran, or, in the case of the Olympics and Worlds, the BEST...

I don't think Matthews likes sitting 42 minutes in a Game 7 match... and that;s not what he is paid to do.......

Matthews, Marner, Tavares are built for double shifts, line jugglings and 25 mins/EVERY BIG GAME-- ESPECIALLY GAME 7s of the Playoffs...

Babcock stifles this way of thinking.

Or am I wrong?
    Tough night for CBJ. They looked rusty from a week off the first 2 periods, but with 2 goals in 13 seconds in the third had things looking like the magic we experienced against Tampa.

Sadly, Boston scored clutch goals late in the third and in OT.

Really unhappy NBCSN chose to switch over to St. Louis-Dallas start rather than continue with OT. They said to go to NHL Network to watch it, which didn't help me since that is a subscription network and I don't have it. Whose rule was that? Remember the 1968 Heidi game?
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    edited April 2019 Posts: 3,126
    The West and East are definitely wide open this year I don't know what will be the cup final islanders vs Bruins east conference finals and Sharks vs Blues Western conference finals. Islanders vs Sharks