No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

The whole plot thing is very intriguing. Bond is so in love with Madeleine that he wants to retire from the job he loves and spend his life with her (this puts her up with the the "biggies" in terms of her impact on Bond). So he does retire. So they are in this fantastic location and , rather than Madeleine's history bringing Bond back into action, FL "turns up" with a request for Bond to rescue the kidnapped scientist. Now FS must know that Bond has retired and knows that there are other live double O agents to ask. So why does he turn up at Bond's door? Is it an "off grid" assignment? is it something personal to Bond? is it a vendatta for FS and he needs "off the record" help? So we assume Bond says yes, (short film if he says no), so what happens with Madeleine? does she stay at home doing the cleaning? and what is it about the request that is so interesting for Bond that it gets him back into action? and do we assume he officially comes out of retirement (do they keep the 007 code name on reserve just in case)? or is he effectively on a state pension and taking the mission privately?
    Very intriguing
    Revelator wrote: »
    I still fear that Rami Malek is too young and physically slight to play a convincing Bond villain. I also note that the last time a young Oscar-winning actor was cast in a Bond film it was Christopher Walken in AVTAK. Not a great precedent. Halle Berry and Christoph Waltz are two further examples of the Oscar curse. But Javier Bardem was a happy exception, so maybe Malek will follow suit?

I have the same concerns @Revelator. I hope one day they return to casting lesser known actors as villains again. And while I didn't dislike Waltz as much as many here, I still think a relative unknown would have done better, script issues notwithstanding.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    What are the odds that the teaser trailer releases with the release of Hobbes and Shaw?
  • manovermanover uk
    Overall thoughts..
    Brilliant cast
    DC looking good.
    Finally production has started.
    Yes the conference was abit clunky..maybe in future have it pre recorded and well edited.
  • QsCatQsCat London
    Here we go. Full coverage from the BBC news at 6.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m0004hjx/bbc-news-at-six-25042019

24mins in.
    What are the odds that the teaser trailer releases with the release of Hobbes and Shaw?

It's the absolute earliest possibility for sure, 8 months seems fair. But I wouldn't be surprised if they wait until further into the autumn.
  • QsCatQsCat London
    QsCat wrote: »
    Here we go. Full coverage from the BBC news at 6.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m0004hjx/bbc-news-at-six-25042019

24mins in.

Really isn't much to it actually..
    Can't watch it outside the UK :(
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited April 2019 Posts: 4,343
    patb wrote: »
    The whole plot thing is very intriguing. Bond is so in love with Madeleine that he wants to retire from the job he loves and spend his life with her (this puts her up with the the "biggies" in terms of her impact on Bond). So he does retire. So they are in this fantastic location and , rather than Madeleine's history bringing Bond back into action, FL "turns up" with a request for Bond to rescue the kidnapped scientist. Now FS must know that Bond has retired and knows that there are other live double O agents to ask. So why does he turn up at Bond's door? Is it an "off grid" assignment? is it something personal to Bond? is it a vendatta for FS and he needs "off the record" help? So we assume Bond says yes, (short film if he says no), so what happens with Madeleine? does she stay at home doing the cleaning? and what is it about the request that is so interesting for Bond that it gets him back into action? and do we assume he officially comes out of retirement (do they keep the 007 code name on reserve just in case)? or is he effectively on a state pension and taking the mission privately?
    Very intriguing

Yes it is. Since Bond retired for Madeleine - choosing life for the first time since the brief relationship with Vesper - I suppose there must be something "personal" behind his choice to come back to work at Felix request. I wouldn't rule SPECTRE out of the equation, for now.
  • edited April 2019 Posts: 6,665
    matt_u wrote: »
    patb wrote: »
    Very intriguing

Yes it is. Since Bond retired for Madeleine - choosing life for the first time since the brief relationship with Vesper - I suppose there must be something "personal" behind his choice to come back to work at Felix request.

If he was Fleming or the novel's Bond, he'd be bored with the couple life, looking trough the blinds with melancholy, thinking about the Cote d'Azur and high stake Baccarat, or some foe to shoot.
    I haven't read through all the comments but those clamoring for a new actor remember just because YOU think Aidan Turner or whomever is perfect for Bond doesn't mean BABS thinks the person is perfect and again this includes my choices for the roles as well... with that said I wonder what the fandom would say if Hardy was the next 007 (or dare I say it Hiddleston) be thankful we have a bond most if not all of us here like... now back to reading
    Risico007 wrote: »
    I haven't read through all the comments but those clamoring for a new actor remember just because YOU think Aidan Turner or whomever is perfect for Bond doesn't mean BABS thinks the person is perfect and again this includes my choices for the roles as well... with that said I wonder what the fandom would say if Hardy was the next 007 (or dare I say it Hiddleston) be thankful we have a bond most if not all of us here like... now back to reading

Indeed, old chap, indeed.
    The plot gives me a mix of a LTK and GE vibe - both of those films I love. I suppose the title reveal will probably come with the first trailer?
    FoxRox wrote: »
    I suppose the title reveal will probably come with the first trailer?

Imagine how that'll be like? So exciting.
  • edited April 2019 Posts: 4,599
    @matt_u
    The key thing here is that it's FS that turns up (I'm surprised they gave that away). If it's connected with SP, then that was the scooby gang? Why would FS have anyting to do with SP?. Why not M turn up? One of the modern real world twists is the US security services hirng private contractors for their security dirty work. Perhaps FS hires Bond directly?

Boredom makes sense and I can see FS gently poking fun at Bond re his retirement in an attempt to get him back into action but it's not exactly dramatic. And it does not deal with Madeleine's character arc. Something has to motivate Bond that overides the motivation we saw in SP to throw away the gun (we knew that was a key moment). So it has to be a big motivation to work IMHO.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender

Grass is green.
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    JamesCraig wrote: »
    And...still no title is stupid, sorry.

What if it's going to stay BOND 25? :D
    or "Doing some spy things and stuff" ? :D
    Or:
    :-D Chill Before The Thrill
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Just watched the live stream. So they are returning to Norway, or was that just a wrong assumption on the hostess part?
    And...still no title is stupid, sorry.

What if it's going to stay BOND 25? :D
    or "Doing some spy things and stuff" ? :D
    Or:
    :-D Chill Before The Thrill

The title perhaps? :-D
  • RC7RC7
    edited April 2019 Posts: 10,512
    Wild theory: the finale will see a reverse of OHMSS. Bond and Madeleine will marry, but Bond will die in her arms.
    Just watched the live stream. So they are returning to Norway, or was that just a wrong assumption on the hostess part?

Returning. The early shoot was weather dependent.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    RC7 wrote: »
    Wild theory: the finale will see a reverse of OHMSS. Bond and Madeleine will marry, but Bond will die in her arms.

Much better.

giphy.gif
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator

Returning. The early shoot was weather dependent.
    I gathered they were finished based on Fukunaga's comments.
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    Takeaways for me:
    - Felix being back is the one casting wish list I had. Estatic about this.
    - Rami has the ideal look and menace to be an all time great villain, and his video segment confirms it.
    - Ana de Armas seemed to be a recent cast addition as she said there's no prep she's done for her role and it seems like she barely knew what was in store.
    - Still not sure if they can't decide on a title or are just keeping it secret for longer.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Btw, that's a wrap for the front page timeline now that the film's been announced. Hope you guys enjoyed the updates over the last couple years. It makes for quite an interesting read.
    Dali bennsalah is obviously maleks henchman.
    Grass is green.
    Hey, so are you ;)
    This is stuff for the other thread, but I'm so glad Hardy or Hiddles are not, and will never be, James Bond. Turner's time, on the other hand, will come (maybe). But right now, who cares? All I care is we're getting a brand new film to end an era with a brilliant cast and crew.

The only crew member I'm not particularly excited about is the costume designer. Not enough flamboyant, don't you thing? A bit dull. Isn't she a Boyle regular?