"Back of the net!": The Football Thread

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    I am hoping Ajax win the CL this year, they played some fantastic football against Juve

An unlikely winner, but it would be good for football in general though, wouldn't it? Ajax's budget is considerably lower than the other clubs left in the competition, and them winning the PL would be a Leicester kind of story.

Ajax beat Real and now Juve the other teams need to take them seriously for sure. Big spending can be beaten by a strong team ethic and youth, its certainly something my team needs to look at again, United has squandered Millions on overrated players
  • edited April 2019 Posts: 17,305
    I am hoping Ajax win the CL this year, they played some fantastic football against Juve

An unlikely winner, but it would be good for football in general though, wouldn't it? Ajax's budget is considerably lower than the other clubs left in the competition, and them winning the PL would be a Leicester kind of story.

Ajax beat Real and now Juve the other teams need to take them seriously for sure. Big spending can be beaten by a strong team ethic and youth, its certainly something my team needs to look at again, United has squandered Millions on overrated players

Pretty sure whoever face Ajax next (that will be City or Sp*rs, right?), won't underestimate them. Ajax won't have any pressure going into the next fixture though, which might be a big advantage.

Arsenal haven't spend as much as United, but both teams have a squad of players that are getting older. Won't be surprised if some of the Ajax players are being looked at by both clubs – and many other teams as well.
    I always said Pogba was overrated and he has done nothing yet to prove me wrong... It is nice to be big and strong, but as Cruyff used to say, you play football with your mind. Seems fitting to quote him on a night like this ;)
    Ajax Amsterdam surprised again twice against Juventus at home they should have won and last night Juventus could have lost at home with a far more devastating score. Ronaldo a brilliant player left this tournament with a yellow card in the last minute with a tackle that was poorly thought out and full of frustration. That summed up the total impotence Juventus showed in the second half of the match.
    I wonder how many players Ole will have to clear out this summer. Ajax are showing that a youthful team can still compete even in this mega money era. Utd have some good young players already, but others like Sanchez! will have to go.

What the hell, City!!!

Edit: That's better. Don't F this up now!
    Edit 2: Even better!
  • conradhankersconradhankers Underground
    What the hell, City!!!

Do you know who the winner is? Football's the winner.
    What the hell, City!!!

Do you know who the winner is? Football's the winner.

If Sp*rs go out, you mean? :-D
    Whenever City wins, football dies. These arabic sheikhs have nothing to do in this sport! Hope they never succeed in Europe!
    Sp*rs goal. Noooooo!
    Yeeees! ;)
    I love VAR! Don't you? ;)
    jobo wrote: »
    I love VAR! Don't you? ;)

Not when it benefits that lot! Ajax masterclass needed…
    Any petty rivalries aside: Dirty, corrupt oil money not winning the Champions League is always a triumph!
    jobo wrote: »
    Any petty rivalries aside: Dirty, corrupt oil money not winning the Champions League is always a triumph!

Of course, but this just ruined Easter!
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Congratulations Spurs

tenor.gif?itemid=4610795

Bye bye Quadruple
    I can only imagine the banter that has been going on here tonight with the Spurs result!!! Lol!!!!
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    I can only imagine the banter that has been going on here tonight with the Spurs result!!! Lol!!!!

Football's the Winner.
    By the way, I'm not one for vulgarity and choice sentiment but ha ha ha ha ha ha ha Sterling. #YNWA
    Great free kick by Lacazette there! 0-1 (0-3)
    Worrying that Ramsey went off injured though. Arsenal don't need that now…

Edit: Phew! That went well. Valencia up next, which will be another difficult opponent.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    So all square as far as games go and City lead by a point.
    Who’s going to blink first?
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    What's going on for Man United?
    Ole wont last till the end of May at this rate, he has made United easy to beat. Champions league has gone after this shambolic display
  • RC7RC7
    Ole wont last till the end of May at this rate, he has made United easy to beat. Champions league has gone after this shambolic display

Shambolic is letting them off lightly. If I could have 5 mins in the dressing room I’d destroy them. Utterly appalling on every level. The only saving grace is that they’re not playing well and losing.
    edited April 2019 Posts: 23,443
    RC7 wrote: »

Shambolic is letting them off lightly. If I could have 5 mins in the dressing room I’d destroy them. Utterly appalling on every level. The only saving grace is that they’re not playing well and losing.

The problem is United have been poor for weeks now and scraped any wins they got, the players are not functioning under what ever Ole is asking them to do, whether that's player attitude or not believing in the manager... its probably both.
    Meanwhile Arsenal are doing their best to finish outside the top 4…
    Benteke of all people scored, whoever makes top four will stumble over the line
    Damnit. Sixth looking very likely.

Edit: I'll be surprised by anything but sixth…
    losing 3 ¬ 1 ouch your team no better than United right now, Fourth is Chelsea's to lose now