"Back of the net!": The Football Thread

Comments

• BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator

Now this is a goal!
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Kane maybe out for the season, good win for Spurs though I fear one goal might not be enough as City can score for fun at home.
    Kane maybe out for the season, good win for Spurs though I fear one goal might not be enough as City can score for fun at home.

Hopefully..or Sperms win stopping the quadruple rubbish and get a drubbing in the semis.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    United lost at home to a crap Barca side

If they payed crap and still won what dos that say about ManU.

The Ajax-Juventus match was much more fun for a football fan.

This was another bad performance from Barcelona away indeed. You never what you get from them these days. They look brilliant on their day and very ordinary the next.

Luckily they only played against United and not against a decent team...

Good to see Ole using his tactical genius there...amazing how its all starting to go tits up since he got a 3 year deal.
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Good to see Ole using his tactical genius there...amazing how its all starting to go tits up since he got a 3 year deal.

He has done very well with this United side that was never anything more than average to begin with. They performed above expectation after Jose the megalomaniac left.
    SaintMark wrote: »

He has done very well with this United side that was never anything more than average to begin with. They performed above expectation after Jose the megalomaniac left.

are you talking pre-contract or post-contract ?
    It will be interesting what happens with Ole and United from now on. Top four looks very unlikely at the moment to be honest. I have seen United fans and even fairly respected pundits have big plans for the transfer market this summer, dreaming of bringing in players like Varane, Koulibaly, Griezmann, Sancho etc next window. Unrealistic and wildly ambitious overestimation of the club´s bargaining power in the transfer market is not exactly uncommon among United fans or indeed English clubs in general, but the chances, if there at all, of landing any of those players will not exactly improve if they cannot even offer Champions League footbal next season.
  • edited April 2019 Posts: 17,308
    The thing is, they (United) are competing against Chelsea and Arsenal for top four. Chelsea have been all over the place this season (from great performances to really bad ones), while Arsenal can't win an away game – which will most likely see them miss out on top four.

I think Arsenal needed a win against Everton to have a chance. They didn't…

Edit: That being said, Unai has been impressive this season. For Arsenal to realistically have a shot at top four in April is fantastic given the state of the club. He won't get the backing he need in the summer transfer window though, so he – and whoever replaces Mislintat, will have to find some talents to develop.
  • edited April 2019 Posts: 7,500
    The thing is, they (United) are competing against Chelsea and Arsenal for top four. Chelsea have been all over the place this season (from great performances to really bad ones), while Arsenal can't win an away game – which will most likely see them miss out on top four.

Edit: That being said, Unai has been impressive this season. For Arsenal to realistically have a shot at top four in April is fantastic given the state of the club. He won't get the backing he need in the summer transfer window though, so he – and whoever replaces Mislintat, will have to find some talents to develop.

Well, both have a head start on United, and beating one of them won't be enough. They have to finish above botg of them most likely. I am not saying United are out of it, just that it seems unlikely taking into consideration their latest form.
    We (Arsenal) must make the most of our easier run-in.
    Not having to play any of the top 6 is an advantage not to be wasted,as we did in that disgusting performance vs Everton.

Next up is away to Watford,live on TV next Monday night.
    I'm not looking forward to it.
    jobo wrote: »

Well, both have a head start on United, and beating one of them won't be enough. They have to finish above botg of them most likely. I am not saying United are out of it, just that it seems unlikely taking into consideration their latest form.

What will be the decider is the upcoming fixtures. Chelsea have one more game played, so that's worth taking into consideration. Just for the fun of it, I've taken a look at the games left for United, Chelsea, Sp*rs and Arsenal – and my points predictions for these games.

United have: West Ham (H), Everton (A), City (H), Chelsea (H), Huddersfield (A) and Cardiff (H). Out of these, I think United will win all but the City game. 15 points.

Chelsea have: Liverpool (A), Burnley (H), United (A), Watford (H) and Leicester (A). I think they will lose against Liverpool, United and Leicester and win against Burnley and Watford. 6 points.

Sp*rs have: Huddersfield (H) City (A), Brighton (H), West Ham (H), Bournemouth (A) and Everton (H). I think they will win all of these, except for the City game. 15 points.

Arsenal have: Watford (A), Palace (H), Wolves (A), Leicester (A), Brighton (H) and Burnley (A). Out of these fixtures, I think Arsenal will win two – potentially losing all the away games. 6 points.

Adding these points to the table:
    1./2. - Liverpool/City (this might go both ways; my guess is City)
    3. Sp*rs: 64 (+15) - 79
    4. United: 61 (+15) - 76
    5. Chelsea: 66 (+6) - 72
    6. Arsenal: 63 (+6) - 69

What will be the decider is the upcoming fixtures. Chelsea have one more game played, so that's worth taking into consideration. Just for the fun of it, I've taken a look at the games left for United, Chelsea, Sp*rs and Arsenal – and my points predictions for these games.

United have: West Ham (H), Everton (A), City (H), Chelsea (H), Huddersfield (A) and Cardiff (H). Out of these, I think United will win all but the City game. 15 points.

Chelsea have: Liverpool (A), Burnley (H), United (A), Watford (H) and Leicester (A). I think they will lose against Liverpool, United and Leicester and win against Burnley and Watford. 6 points.

Sp*rs have: Huddersfield (H) City (A), Brighton (H), West Ham (H), Bournemouth (A) and Everton (H). I think they will win all of these, except for the City game. 15 points.

Arsenal have: Watford (A), Palace (H), Wolves (A), Leicester (A), Brighton (H) and Burnley (A). Out of these fixtures, I think Arsenal will win two – potentially losing all the away games. 6 points.

Wow! I know Arsenal fans are revered for their famous self doubt and irony, but that is a bit much! ;) I see no reason to predict that Arsenal will manage only six points with what is arguably the easiest run in, while a United side in this kind of form will win five out of six!

Wow! I know Arsenal fans are revered for their famous self doubt and irony, but that is a bit much! ;) I see no reason to predict that Arsenal will manage only six points with what is arguably the easiest run in, while a United side in this kind of form will win five out of six!

It's a characteristic of an Arsenal fan for sure, but there's definitely reason to believe Arsenal will finish 6th. Unai's men have only won 2 of their last 11 away league games – and have yet to keep a clean sheet in an away game all season. On top of that, Sokratis will serve a two-match ban after his yellow card against Everton, and the defence is even worse without him. Koscielny is still out injured (at least for tonight's fixture, if reports are correct), which leaves Mustafi, Monreal, Maitland-Niles, Lichtsteiner and Kolašinac. Teams will lick their lips at the possibility of facing this defence.

Looking at the teams Arsenal are up against, you have an in-form Watford, a tricky Palace side, Wolves – who can beat any top six side, Leicester - who's found new form under Brendan Rodgers (and Vardy, who always manage something against the bigger sides), Brighton (also tricky opponents; I would put money on a Murray goal or two), and finally Burnley - which physical way of playing is tricky to play against for this Arsenal team.
    What a rollercoaster of footballing emotional stress I went through last night. Losing for 85 minutes, winning for about 10minutes, only to end up conceding a late equaliser!!! So a point in the end but thank goodness Birmingham held Sheffield Utd.

Means we are still 7 points clear of 3rd spot going into the final 5 games. Somebody get me a sedative!!!!!
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    What a rollercoaster of footballing emotional stress I went through last night. Losing for 85 minutes, winning for about 10minutes, only to end up conceding a late equaliser!!! So a point in the end but thank goodness Birmingham held Sheffield Utd.

Means we are still 7 points clear of 3rd spot going into the final 5 games. Somebody get me a sedative!!!!!

I think they are on TV again this weekend,as well.

I know we are on a week Friday 19th April against Sheffield Wednesday which will be a toughie. So certainly need a win away at Wigan this week buddy. Do you think you boys will finish top 4 pal?

I know we are on a week Friday 19th April against Sheffield Wednesday which will be a toughie. So certainly need a win away at Wigan this week buddy. Do you think you boys will finish top 4 pal?

In theory with the run-in we have we should..but that display vs Everton was woeful.
    Mind you Aub is over his illness now and Koscielny/Xhaka are ready again for Watford on Monday.

Here are Norwich's next 4 SKY fixtures for TV :

SUNDAY 14TH APRIL 12PM K.O WIGAN V NORWCH

FRIDAY 19TH APRIL 7.45PM K.O NORWICH V SHEFF WED

SATURDAY 27TH APRIL 7.30PM K.O NORWICH V BLACKBURN

This was another bad performance from Barcelona away indeed. You never what you get from them these days. They look brilliant on their day and very ordinary the next.

Luckily they only played against United and not against a decent team...

I agree United are woefull, as a supporter I am concerned with my team for sure. I love Ole for obvious reasons though there appears to be no plan, it's headless chicken football, Ole may not last a year
    Alright, let's do this Arsenal!

giphy.gif

In theory with the run-in we have we should..but that display vs Everton was woeful.
    Mind you Aub is over his illness now and Koscielny/Xhaka are ready again for Watford on Monday.

I will be like this guy below!!!

giphy.gif

Lol!!!

giphy.gif

Lol!!!

Season run-in will be tense for both our teams!

Lna.gif
    Phew! Can't believe Arsenal got away with a 2-0 win, but they did. Will be a massive away game, in which Arsenal must perform even better.

giphy.gif

Lol!!!

Lna.gif
    Phew! Can't believe Arsenal got away with a 2-0 win, but they did. Will be a massive away game, in which Arsenal must perform even better.

Ramsey certainly has not downed tools despite leaving
  • RC7RC7
    edited April 2019 Posts: 10,512
    Classic Chelsea. Piss easy draw and still fudging it. Will definitely win the trophy.

giphy.gif

Lol!!!

Lna.gif

Ramsey certainly has not downed tools despite leaving

Securing a spot in the Juve starting eleven by the looks of it…

At least it's not a "will he/won't he" re. new contract. Arsenal know they need to find a replacement, but a replacement of his calibre won't come cheap.
    Ramsey should not be going,he loves the club.
    To find someone with his ability,drive,determination and love for Arsenal will be an impossible job.

Just pay him the f*****g money and offload Ozil to balance it out,its not rocket science !!
    Rambo should be captain !!
    Ramsey should not be going,he loves the club.
    To find someone with his ability,drive,determination and love for Arsenal will be an impossible job.

Just pay him the f*****g money and offload Ozil to balance it out,its not rocket science !!
    Rambo should be captain !!

It's too late Baz – he's already signed with Juve…