"Back of the net!": The Football Thread

Comments

RogueAgent wrote: »
    Liverpool just managed to keep the title race interesting!

Indeed! It's not over yet, although City have a game in midweek.

Who they playing Torgeirtrap?

Cardiff!

Cardiff fighting for survival now being 5 points adrift after todays loss!!!

Decent fixture on paper, but you never know!

They are capable of making things very uncomfortable for bigger teams that's for sure as Chelsea found today.

Cardiff!

They are capable of making things very uncomfortable for bigger teams that's for sure as Chelsea found today.

Indeed. Luckily for Chelsea they got an additional three players with the ref and the linesmen! :))
    Horrible start to the season for Rosenborg away at Bodø/Glimt, losing 2-0. With bad results through the pre-season as well, I'm very worried about this Rosenborg side. I just can't figure out how they're actually trying to play, and it didn't look like the players did either tonight. :-/
    Steve McClaren has been sacked by QPR.

Cardiff!

Indeed. Luckily for Chelsea they got an additional three players with the ref and the linesmen! :))
    Horrible start to the season for Rosenborg away at Bodø/Glimt, losing 2-0. With bad results through the pre-season as well, I'm very worried about this Rosenborg side. I just can't figure out how they're actually trying to play, and it didn't look like the players did either tonight. :-/

Lol! They sure did have extra! Hope your boys turn it around soon. Lots more games to go my friend.
    barryt007 wrote: »

Cool! We have got them next at Carrow Rd this Saturday!!!! OTBC!!!
  • edited April 2019 Posts: 17,293

Cardiff!

Lol! They sure did have extra! Hope your boys turn it around soon. Lots more games to go my friend.
    Luckily Rosenborg won't play until next Monday. They need to use this week well before the first home match of the season.

Managers don't last long at QPR it seems.
    jobo wrote: »
    Interesting video

Interesting video indeed. Really reminds me how much I miss Thierry Henry!
    There seems to be total confusion in Rosenborg these days. They had quite succesfully built a team that suited Ingebrigtsen's classic 4-3-3 for a couple of years. Now we suddenly shift to a coach that wants to play 4-4-2. Bendtner and Søderlund should never play together up front! It's that simple! If you want to play with two strikers you need players with different characteristics that complement each other. Playing with two slow target men that both are at their best inside the box, will almost never work. There is a noticeable confusion which of the two is supposed to link with the midfield.

Mike Jensen is a player perfectly suited to play box to box. Telling him to take a supporting, deep lying role, clearly hampers his play. And then there are lot of wingers in the team that are suited to play as inside forwards who are now told to stay wide. I cannot really imagine a player like Helland would ever excell on the left (happy to be proven wrong though). The board have shown they don't really know what they are doing, and they have created a bit of a mess currently.
    jobo wrote: »
    There seems to be total confusion in Rosenborg these days. They had quite succesfully built a team that suited Ingebrigtsen's classic 4-3-3 for a couple of years. Now we suddenly shift to a coach that wants to play 4-4-2. Bendtner and Søderlund should never play together up front! It's that simple! If you want to play with two strikers you need players with different characteristics that complement each other. Playing with two slow target men that both are at their best inside the box, will almost never work. There is a noticeable confusion which of the two is supposed to link with the midfield.

Mike Jensen is a player perfectly suited to play box to box. Telling him to take a supporting, deep lying role, clearly hampers his play. And then there are lot of wingers in the team that are suited to play as inside forwards who are now told to stay wide. I cannot really imagine a player like Helland would ever excell on the left (happy to be proven wrong though). The board have shown they don't really know what they are doing, and they have created a bit of a mess currently.

This sums it up perfectly. I'd love to be proven wrong about Horneland, but there's question marks about the appointment as he's clearly not a 4-3-3 kind of guy. Then there's the whole process around the appointment…

I fear Rosenborg might end up outside the top three, as the teams that will compete for the title have a clear philosophy about how they want to play, and have added to the squad during the transfer window. Rosenborg haven't done much to improve the squad – which is already thin because of injuries.

I never get tired of watching this one!
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited April 2019 Posts: 23,376
    I am watching the opening ceremony of Tottenham Hotspur Stadium... Any suggestions for its eventual stadium name.

It's the taking part that counts Stadium is fitting ;))
    I am watching the opening ceremony of Tottenham Hotspur Stadium... Any suggestions for its eventual stadium name.

It doesn't have a name yet??
    Come on Palace beat the Scum in their shit ground !!!
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

They have not sold the rights to a sponsor yet

Strange they haven't already! Do you remember how long did it took for Arsenal to land a naming rights deal with Emirates, @barryt007?

Strange they haven't already! Do you remember how long did it took for Arsenal to land a naming rights deal with Emirates, @barryt007?

Already sorted during construction Torg re Arsenal n emirates
    Chelsea and Spurs comfortably winning a bad few days for United

I remember watching this and it makes me laugh out loud now just as much as it did then! Stunned that is 9 years ago?!!!! Wow!

Already sorted during construction Torg re Arsenal n emirates

Efficient by Arsenal – not something that could be said about them often…

I remember watching this and it makes me laugh out loud now just as much as it did then! Stunned that is 9 years ago?!!!! Wow!

Yeah, it certainly doesn't feel like it's been nine years!
    For the many people that are under the illution that the PL is the best place for these kind of end to end thrillers:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2019/apr/03/villarreal-barcelona-la-liga-game-no-one-ever-wanted-to-finish
    Can someone explain what this was all about?
    Looks like Kelly’s garlic breath was just too much to take, Torg.
    That bloody extra strong garlic bread was a killer.
    Looks like Kelly’s garlic breath was just too much to take, Torg.
    That bloody extra strong garlic bread was a killer.

Hahah! Might make perfect sense when you watch the whole segment, but in this little clip here, it seems so, so bizarre!
    Is it just me or is football coverage these days ridiculously bad? Pundits are usually lazy and badly prepared, and nobody really cares if they are it seems. I read somewhere about the vages Neville and Carragher get for showing up a couple of times a week, spouting some general opinions apparently with not much research or thought behind it. It is an absolute insult to working people around the world! Millions of pounds per year for such a lazy job? Well, at least bother to watch some football matches, you divas!
    Football coverage is hit and miss at least. Don't know about wages, but I guess every ex-footballer pundit are paid a lot - no matter how much time they're actually on TV. Probably no different here in Norway!
    Carragher was so pro Liverpool last night it was embarrassing x I’m sure Alan Smith for example would love to praise Arsenal when he commentates in their games but and even Gary Neville tbh always remain as neutral as they can during commentary.

Btw I am still VERY impressed by Norwich atm dismantling QPR x they will do well in the EPL.
    Well, that is La Liga pretty much decided after Barcelona beating Atletico 2-0 and extending their advantage to eleven points with seven games to go. Now it is United next. A fully motivated and performing Barcelona should win that tie quite easily. However you never know what you get with Barcelona these days. If they show up on one of their bad nights they can lose to prettty much anyone and ambarass themselves completely. (And losing to this version of United would be incredibly embarassing, Im sorry to say...). Lets hope we don´t get another colaps as against Roma last year. That would be a bit too painful for me...

Just make sure Messi scores. Barcelona has never lost a knockout tie where he has been on target.
    edited April 2019 Posts: 23,376

What a goal!

Regarding United v Barcelona I can't see United getting anything from either leg, I am dreading Camp Nou with our poor defence.

What a goal!

Regarding United v Barcelona I can't see United getting anything from either leg, I am dreading Camp Nou with our poor defence.

As I said it entirely depends on which version of Barcelona turns up. Playing with less intensity they are very vulnerable to quick counter attacks, and the one thing United has is pace in the attacking third.

That explains it. Looked so strange though. Why couldn't they have switched to a different camera?