"Back of the net!": The Football Thread

Comments

barryt007 wrote: »
    Ramsey should not be going,he loves the club.
    To find someone with his ability,drive,determination and love for Arsenal will be an impossible job.

Just pay him the f*****g money and offload Ozil to balance it out,its not rocket science !!
    Rambo should be captain !!

It's too late Baz – he's already signed with Juve…

There's always a loophole somewhere Torg me olde pal !
    To find someone with his ability,drive,determination and love for Arsenal will be an impossible job.

Just pay him the f*****g money and offload Ozil to balance it out,its not rocket science !!

They better find it fast!

There's the problem,when do Arsenal do ANYTHING fast ?!
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    We (Arsenal) must make the most of our easier run-in.
    Not having to play any of the top 6 is an advantage not to be wasted,as we did in that disgusting performance vs Everton.

Next up is away to Watford,live on TV next Monday night.
    I'm not looking forward to it.

I'm supporting the Arse for that one. 7th place means Europe next season ( if Many City win the cup.) So for Leicester City (my team) we need to see off the threat of Watford, Wolves and Everton.
  • edited April 2019 Posts: 17,302

Can't remember if they ever have :))
    NicNac wrote: »
    Not having to play any of the top 6 is an advantage not to be wasted,as we did in that disgusting performance vs Everton.

I'm supporting the Arse for that one. 7th place means Europe next season ( if Many City win the cup.) So for Leicester City (my team) we need to see off the threat of Watford, Wolves and Everton.

The fight for top 4 will be intense and exciting, but just as much will the fight for 7th place be. Leicester, Watford, Wolves and Everton are all in good form at the moment, and I can see all of them picking up points in the remaining fixtures. Rodgers have given The Foxes a boost.

The fight for top 4 will be intense and exciting, but just as much will the fight for 7th place be. Leicester, Watford, Wolves and Everton are all in good form at the moment, and I can see all of them picking up points in the remaining fixtures. Rodgers have given The Foxes a boost.

Brendan has been a massive appointment for Leicester.
    The battle between these 4 teams is just as exciting as the top 4 scrap,a great season finale that I think will go down to the last day.

For once,the relegation battle is pretty sown up with Huddersfield,Fulham, and I'm pretty sure Cardiff,going down.

The battle between these 4 teams is just as exciting as the top 4 scrap,a great season finale that I think will go down to the last day.

For once,the relegation battle is pretty sown up with Huddersfield,Fulham, and I'm pretty sure Cardiff,going down.

Many games to look forward to, for sure!

Try telling that to MoTD executives. Leicester may have put 4 past Huddersfield last week, but to them Newcastle 0 Palace 1 was a worthier game and got shown ahead of the foxes game.

Try telling that to MoTD executives. Leicester may have put 4 past Huddersfield last week, but to them Newcastle 0 Palace 1 was a worthier game and got shown ahead of the foxes game.

That's the BBC for you.
    A corrupt dinosaur with no ideas about anything but the licence fee.
  • RC7RC7

I think it’s because that final Europa spot is seen as bit of a poisoned chalice, unless you’re one of the ‘big six’ and have a squad to cope. The narrative used to be all about how great it was for the ‘smaller’ teams to gain European experience, before it became apparent all it really did was screw the next league campaign.

In all fairness, Leicester are actually well equipped, probably the best of the bunch, but it’s certainly become a bit of a millstone for teams who’ve ‘overachieved’ for a season.

Newcastle are not out of the woods yet and tbh they’ll always put games pertinent to the relegation battle ahead of ‘the race for 7th’.
    RC7 wrote: »

I think it’s because that final Europa spot is seen as bit of a poisoned chalice, unless you’re one of the ‘big six’ and have a squad to cope. The narrative used to be all about how great it was for the ‘smaller’ teams to gain European experience, before it became apparent all it really did was screw the next league campaign.

In all fairness, Leicester are actually well equipped, probably the best of the bunch, but it’s certainly become a bit of a millstone for teams who’ve ‘overachieved’ for a season.

Newcastle are not out of the woods yet and tbh they’ll always put games pertinent to the relegation battle ahead of ‘the race for 7th’.

Yep, good point.

In fact, good points. Looking at how the Europe campaign nearly screwed Burnley this time I do wonder how any club would view a wild card into the Europa League. Leicester will have a good squad next season, but whether it will be deep enough is another question.

In fact Burnley couldn't get past the qualifiers. I don't know for sure but I'm hoping that Leicester's recent Prem win and Champions League exploits (last 8) may help them by pass the qualifiers? Not sure on that.

But, players like to be seen on the world stage, so qualification may just help LCFC attract a better level of player than no qualification at all.
    Bloody hell Vardy,seriously ?!?!
    Good game by Newcastle this. Brilliant header by Pérez for the goal.
  • edited April 2019 Posts: 19,339
    Perez had a blinder x Vardy had a nightmare... Newcastle are a EPL team so I’m glad that’s them safe ,Cardiff have to win 4 out of 5 games n hope others slip up,
    Bye bye Cardiff.
    Perez had a blinder x Vardy had a nightmare... Newcastle are a EPL team so I’m glad that’s them safe ,Cardiff have to win 4 out of 5 games n hope others slip up,
    Bye bye Cardiff.

I think the Chelsea game was the decider for Cardiff. They would probably have won that game if it wasn't for the decisions that went in favour for Chelsea.

As for Newcastle, they can now look towards the next season. Will be interesting to see if Rafa stays or not, and if they'll get a new owner!
    That Chelski game was disgusting and has affected so many teams .

Indeed it did. It was a prime example why VAR is needed.

Too late for Cardiff but I’m not losing any sleep at the 3 teams going down x not traditional first division (in my younger sticker album collecting days) or Prem teams.

Too late for Cardiff but I’m not losing any sleep at the 3 teams going down x not traditional first division (in my younger sticker album collecting days) or Prem teams.

That's true. Next season will bring some interesting fixtures, looking at the teams that might get promoted.

That's true. Next season will bring some interesting fixtures, looking at the teams that might get promoted.

Next season looks like one tough league Torg me olde Scandinavian chum !!

Next season looks like one tough league Torg me olde Scandinavian chum !!

It won't be many easier fixtures, that's for sure! If only Arsenal could sort their away form…
    A bit of insight from Slaven Bilić re. West Ham and Dimitri Payet:

And in other footballing news:
    Well? Another draw away at Wigan but that's ok as they have a pretty strong record at home despite their league position. 4 points ahead of Leeds and still 7 points ahead of Sheffield Utd in 3rd. Boy am I getting nervous and still 4 games to go for most clubs. OTBC!!!!
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    Well? Another draw away at Wigan but that's ok as they have a pretty strong record at home despite their league position. 4 points ahead of Leeds and still 7 points ahead of Sheffield Utd in 3rd. Boy am I getting nervous and still 4 games to go for most clubs. OTBC!!!!

The Championship still delivering the drama! Will be interesting to see how things stand at the end of the season.

Rosenborg still managing to be horrible, and lost 3-1 away against Stabæk this evening. This Rosenborg team is in serious trouble, and you have to wonder how long this project will last. Season might be in danger after three games…

The Championship still delivering the drama! Will be interesting to see how things stand at the end of the season.

Rosenborg still managing to be horrible, and lost 3-1 away against Stabæk this evening. This Rosenborg team is in serious trouble, and you have to wonder how long this project will last. Season might be in danger after three games…

I feel for you when their is nothing you can do to influence your team which ever end of the table you are?!!!

I feel for you when their is nothing you can do to influence your team which ever end of the table you are?!!!

One point and last on the table is certainly not what any Rosenborg fan would have expected after these matches, that's for sure! This is a team that won both the title and cup comfortably in November. Strange what only a few months can do…

One point and last on the table is certainly not what any Rosenborg fan would have expected after these matches, that's for sure! This is a team that won both the title and cup comfortably in November. Strange what only a few months can do…

Have you lost a lot of players since last season?

That's the thing, it's the same core of players playing! A few injuries, but nothing that should impact the team as much as this. It's unbelievable.

That's the thing, it's the same core of players playing! A few injuries, but nothing that should impact the team as much as this. It's unbelievable.

What about the Manager? Have they stopped believing in him? That is really odd as you say?

What about the Manager? Have they stopped believing in him? That is really odd as you say?

I really don't know, but something is very, very wrong, that's for sure. It's a different way of playing they're trying to do, but at the same time the quality of these players should be enough to get more out of these games. Right now they're all over the place. The next two fixtures will be key - most of all the game against Molde.