"Back of the net!": The Football Thread

Comments

You can have Sanchez back [-O<

God knows how Pogba made that eleven

I don't think the players would want that!
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    His purchase has caused all sorts of issues with his ridiculous wages. Hopefully China will come calling
  • edited April 2019 Posts: 17,302
    His purchase has caused all sorts of issues with his ridiculous wages. Hopefully China will come calling

China usually does!
    He has burned his bridges with Arsenal,he wouldn't be welcomed back by anyone,especially staff and supporters.
    barryt007 wrote: »
    He has burned his bridges with Arsenal,he wouldn't be welcomed back by anyone,especially staff and supporters.

Exactly.

Torreira pushed over, studs in his chest. Michael Oliver does nothing. As usual, in other words.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Forgot about early game will put the match on, come on Leicester ;)
    Forgot about early game will put the match on, come on Leicester ;)

Michael Oliver will see to that they win…
    Not watched Leicester under Brendan Dodgers, Tielimens is a player a few top teams would probably look at.
    Not watched Leicester under Brendan Dodgers, Tielimens is a player a few top teams would probably look at.

Yes, he's a quality player. Done very well this season.
    Poor by Maddison should have passed, Ozil injured?

Özil is injured, yes. Something foot related I think. Monreal is injured too. And Ramsey…

Özil is injured, yes. Something foot related I think. Monreal is injured too. And Ramsey…

Ramsey a big loss short term and long term, Leicester look decent

Ramsey a big loss short term and long term, Leicester look decent

Yes, Arsenal could really need Ramsey today. Will be difficult to replace too, as Unai wont have the funds to do so.

I predicted a Leicester win, and looking at the match so far, that seems very likely.
    Oh dear needles foul though looks like a slip
    Red card for Ainsley Maitland-Niles…

First yellow was never a yellow though. Typical Michael Oliver.

I thought United were having poor luck, though United are just terrible at the moment

I thought United were having poor luck, though United are just terrible at the moment

Ole is always lucky! ;-)

No chance Arsenal will manage top 4 now. Lucky that none of the teams behind (Watford, Wolves etc.) can manage 6th…

Ole is always lucky! ;-)

No chance Arsenal will manage top 4 now. Lucky that none of the teams behind (Watford, Wolves etc.) can manage 6th…

Leicester spurning good positions you may scrape a draw or nick a win.

Its crazy how much Spurs, Chelsea, Arsenal and United are faltering over the last several weeks, though if Chelsea win today I think that's top four for them and Spurs most likely.

Ole is always lucky! ;-)

Leicester spurning good positions you may scrape a draw or nick a win.

Its crazy how much Spurs, Chelsea, Arsenal and United are faltering over the last several weeks, though if Chelsea win today I think that's top four for them and Spurs most likely.

Don't see that happening with 10 men! Even so, Arsenal needed 3 points today, and that went out the window with Oliver's decisions. Just saw the replays. Nether of them are yellow cards actually…

Whoever grabs three points in the United-Chelsea win is very likely 4th at the end of the season. If there's a draw, United and Chelsea will fight all the way in. Arsenal are out of it.
    Leicester goal
    1-0, Leicester. Bye bye top 4 chances.

2-0. Surprised it isn't more.

Ouch game over, Leicester have been wasteful though

EL confirmed more or less. Not that Arsenal deserve to be top four either. The most worrying aspect of losing out on CL football, is that Unai wont be able to bring in the players he want. The best players wont play for a EL side. This can have a negative impact on Arsenal next season, and beyond.

United losing Herrera has had the same effect, our win percentage when he plays is considerably higher and Pogba plays better.

Vardy gets second 3 - 0
  • edited April 2019 Posts: 7,500

EL confirmed more or less. Not that Arsenal deserve to be top four either. The most worrying aspect of losing out on CL football, is that Unai wont be able to bring in the players he want. The best players wont play for a EL side. This can have a negative impact on Arsenal next season, and beyond.

One can try to spin it into something positive. To be fair, Arsenal has to rebuild over time. Immediate solutions like buying a handfull of star players will not work anyway. In that game Arsenal will lose against the financially more powerfull. It is better to invest wisely for the future, not with short term stars who expect to play in the CL but with younger talents that are willing to comit to a more long term plan. In the modern day "improving for next season" has become synonymous with spending big on star players. It is a bit sickening actually. There are so much that can be done on the training field, improving the game, improving the players you already have, give faith in youth etc... Maybe no CL football will help Arsenal work more patiently and methodically, and not get dragged into bidding wars and short term solutions?

I m clutching at straws, I admit... ;) But it is nice to stay positive at times, and I think there is at least a reasonable point to what I am saying.

United losing Herrera has had the same effect, our win percentage when he plays is considerably higher and Pogba plays better.

Vardy gets second 3 - 0

Yep, some players are just so important to a side. The flow of the game even might depend on one guy.

3-0. Arsenal have given up now. Any chance of getting anything went out the window with Oliver's decisions early on.

Unai needs to focus on EL now, and play the best side possible in those games.
    jobo wrote: »

One can try to spin it into something positive. To be fair, Arsenal has to rebuild over time. Immediate solutions like buying a handfull of star players will not work anyway. In that game Arsenal will lose against the financially more powerfull. It is better to invest wisely for the future, not with short term stars who expect to play in the CL but with younger talents that are willing to comit to a more long term plan. In the modern day "improving for next season" has become synonymous with spending big on star players. It is a bit sickening actually. There are so much that can be done on the training field, improving the game, improving the players you already have, give faith in youth etc... Maybe no CL football will help Arsenal work more patiently and methodically, and not get dragged into bidding wars and short term solutions?

I m clutching at straws, I admit... ;) But it is nice to stay positive at times, and I think there is at least a reasonable point to what I am saying.

Indeed, nobody expected Arsenal to be "rebuilt" in one season. I think Unai has done all he can this season too – maybe more than we could expect. I hope Arsenal can find some talent this summer, because that's the only way they can focus really. Arsenal do have some backroom appointments to sort out though, so this summer might not be as eventful as we fans hope for.

Then there's the massive wage bill some of the current players are on…
    I said City could struggle to win at Burnley, not good so far this could be the day they hand the title to Liverpool
    I said City could struggle to win at Burnley, not good so far this could be the day they hand the title to Liverpool

Need some Sterling/Agüero goal involvement from a FPL perspective!