The NHL Thread

Comments

• thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    @peter @Creasy47 This thread died quicker than Tampa's cup hopes

:) thanks for the morning smile! How would you rate the 1st round so far? I'm shocked by Columbus and Tampa. Wow I didn't see this coming. If TB can turn it around they might be like the Caps last year.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited April 2019 Posts: 40,368

Too right! I'm across-the-board shocked by a lot of these results so far, particularly the Flames being down now and both Tampa and Pittsburgh being so close to being unfortunately swept. It's depressing.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    I wasn't expecting neither Columbus or the Islanders to do so well. If Carolina can take game 4 then that will be a great series going forward. I don't pay too much attention to the Western series since im usually asleep by puck drop.
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    Thought this thread was dead I'm glad it's getting buzz again.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Too right! I'm across-the-board shocked by a lot of these results so far, particularly the Flames being down now and both Tampa and Pittsburgh being so close to being unfortunately swept. It's depressing.

@Creasy47 yeah I'm very suprised especially by Tampa
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Surprised bu Tampa (honestly, WTF??); the Islanders are a different story: amazing, Stanley Cup winning coach and a team that’s crafty with a helluva lot of grit and swagger.
    The Pens just aren’t in it.
    But Tampa?!?!?! This is the time for Stamkos to lift his team. He’s gotta lead by example.
    I’m very happy with the position of my Leafs...
    St. Louis could be the Cinderella story...
    All in all an amazing first round.
    Here I was thinking this would finally be Tampa’s year. One has to wonder when or if they’re ever going to get it done. Since my team is out I don’t have too much stock invested, but I still love to follow the playoffs. Hockey is awesome.
    peter wrote: »
    Surprised bu Tampa (honestly, WTF??); the Islanders are a different story: amazing, Stanley Cup winning coach and a team that’s crafty with a helluva lot of grit and swagger.
    But Tampa?!?!?! This is the time for Stamkos to lift his team. He’s gotta lead by example.

@peter um sorry you took my comment wrong I meant I'm surprised Tampa is being beaten in a series the first round I have them making it to at least the finals sorry for the confusion.
  • FoxRox wrote: »
    Here I was thinking this would finally be Tampa’s year. One has to wonder when or if they’re ever going to get it done. Since my team is out I don’t have too much stock invested, but I still love to follow the playoffs. Hockey is awesome.

Yeah, that's what makes the NHL playoffs a joy to watch. Ray Ferraro said in game 3 during the Flames/Avalanche game that the NHL regular season and playoffs is the most different compared to other sports. Looking at past history, he's right. Since the lockout, only two teams that won the President's trophy ended up winning the Stanley Cup. I wouldn't count the Lightning out yet but one has to wonder if their record setting season made them less prepared for the playoffs.
    FoxRox wrote: »

What fan are you of just curious @FoxRox

Yeah, that's what makes the NHL playoffs a joy to watch. Ray Ferraro said in game 3 during the Flames/Avalanche game that the NHL regular season and playoffs is the most different compared to other sports. Looking at past history, he's right. Since the lockout, only two teams that won the President's trophy ended up winning the Stanley Cup. I wouldn't count the Lightning out yet but one has to wonder if their record setting season made them less prepared for the playoffs.

Alot better then NBA
    Indeed, the playoffs are an entirely different beast where anything can happen - it's why I love them so much, regardless of my team's output and success. It's when the best hockey all year is played.
    edited April 2019 Posts: 3,126
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Indeed, the playoffs are an entirely different beast where anything can happen - it's why I love them so much, regardless of my team's output and success. It's when the best hockey all year is played.

Yes ;)
    007Blofeld wrote: »

Chicago Blackhawks. My sports cities are Chicago and Baltimore, so I root for all their teams (Blackhawks, Bears, Bulls, Cubs, Orioles, and Ravens). A pity we’ve been mediocre lately, but we were spoiled by a great run in the first half of the decade.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart

Chicago Blackhawks. My sports cities are Chicago and Baltimore, so I root for all their teams (Blackhawks, Bears, Bulls, Cubs, Orioles, and Ravens). A pity we’ve been mediocre lately, but we were spoiled by a great run in the first half of the decade.

We got Coach Q from you guys. Well you fired him in November but thanks nonetheless
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    It's a shame that such a magnificent regular season can be undone by a terrible playoff. I am more surprised by TB being down then Calgary. To me Calgary was a bit of a revelation and wasn't supposed to be the best team in the west. (I think Vegas or Nashville hold that distinction)

TB reminds me a bit of those talented Detroit Red Wings that couldn't get over the hump for the longest time. I like Torts has a coach so it's fun to see the Blue Jackets up with a chance to sweep them out.

Winnipeg seems in trouble too. St Louis has a hot goalie and no pressure. Should be interesting if they can come back.

I'm pleased with the steps I have seen my Leafs taking. We are showing some character and guys are really stepping up. Should be a good series.

• peterpeter Toronto

@peter um sorry you took my comment wrong I meant I'm surprised Tampa is being beaten in a series the first round I have them making it to at least the finals sorry for the confusion.

No, sorry, you took me wrong-- I really mean-- Tampa Bay (WTF???). I also had them as Cup champs heading down the stretch, @007Blofeld, lol !

Sorry, I should've made that clearer... I'm definitely in shock, man. They looked like a well-oiled machine that would roll over all!
    Realistically, biases aside, I'm sure almost everyone had TB pegged as the Cup winners this post-season. If anything, I hope both TB and my team can manage a win tonight, to at least avoid that sweep.
    I had a Tampa-Nashville final. I really dont see either making it. Nashville does have the better chance
  • I had a Tampa-Nashville final. I really dont see either making it. Nashville does have the better chance

I also predicted a Tampa-Nashville final when I submitted my bracket. I just couldn't go against Tampa based on the season they had.

No, sorry, you took me wrong-- I really mean-- Tampa Bay (WTF???). I also had them as Cup champs heading down the stretch, @007Blofeld, lol !

Sorry, I should've made that clearer... I'm definitely in shock, man. They looked like a well-oiled machine that would roll over all!

@peter oh lol =))

Your forgiven ;)

Tampa is supposed to be loaded yeah
  • peterpeter Toronto

Yah, the kid wanted to fight and had some stick-play to get it going. Ovechkin knocked him out unintentionally.

But, when you go against a player who's 240 lbs, you're swimming in bloody waters..
    Tampa is down still so is Pittsburgh this is crazy.
    Wow Tampa got destroyed what a disappointment.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Agreed.... inexplicable...
    Agreed.... inexplicable...

And the Penguins are man this is strange.
    Tampa Bay sure was a big disappointment. Big props to the Blue Jackets manhandling them though.
    CBJ are my team. You don't know how great it feels to get not just this first-ever playoff series win, but against a team like Tampa Bay. Especially after last year's implosion against the Caps.

It ain't easy being an Ohio sports fan sometimes with teams like the Cincinnati Reds and Bengals never being able to get playoff wins and the Cleveland Indians the past couple seasons after that near World Series win in '16.

BT3366 wrote: »
    CBJ are my team. You don't know how great it feels to get not just this first-ever playoff series win, but against a team like Tampa Bay. Especially after last year's implosion against the Caps.

It ain't easy being an Ohio sports fan sometimes with teams like the Cincinnati Reds and Bengals never being able to get playoff wins and the Cleveland Indians the past couple seasons after that near World Series win in '16.

Congratulations! You all earned it 110%!