No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    DoctorNo wrote: »
    Yes, 007 can be a woman in this context, however why go there? You're only baiting #MeToo. EON should ignore #MeToo and make great movies so that everyone ignores #MeToo and SJWs and their stupid complaints about Bond.

I don't want a team movie where a female 007 eats up Bond's screen time. And if you kill her or make her needing to be saved by Bond, you're just giving #MeToo ammunition.
    +1. Couldn't have said it better myself!
  • BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer
    Red_Snow wrote: »
    From reddit:

"Has Bond 25 being filming in Low Force in the UK? I have heard that some actions sequences have been filmed in this area but can’t find any information."

I asked who their source was:

"Ah, that’s the thing - I’ve heard it from someone at work who is meant to be involved with the production."

If true, why doesn't he simply ask his co-worker for more details? Most odd.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    edited April 2019 Posts: 2,541
    Yes, 007 can be a woman in this context, however why go there? You're only baiting #MeToo. EON should ignore #MeToo and make great movies so that everyone ignores #MeToo and SJWs and their stupid complaints about Bond.

I don't want a team movie where a female 007 eats up Bond's screen time. And if you kill her or make her needing to be saved by Bond, you're just giving #MeToo ammunition.

Well said there is a big difference between can and will . I hope these rumour aren't true.

+2. Exactly.
    The Craig era does make waves even if they are somewhat unwanted.
  • edited April 2019 Posts: 4,619
    If this rumour is true, I suspect this was Boyle's movie gold idea (or a part of that idea).
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited April 2019 Posts: 5,869
    @PanchitoPistoles I'm all for a discussion but people seem to be getting the wrong idea from what was said in this article on multiple levels. I already tried rationalising this last night but no-one wanted to listen or even consider my argument, but I'll give it another go.

In my opinion, the DailyMail have spun this possible news into a #MeToo situation. A female writer doesn't mean a #MeToo film or feminist film, neither does a female 007. Just because you have a female presence in either position, it doesn't mean the writer or Bond girl is going to burn their bras and throw them at the audience. It just means the character is female, and to think that that would be the case is incredibly close-minded.

And just to make you feel a bit better, they are not, I repeat not, going to have this possible "female 007" (007 not James Bond) take up more screen time. She'll be a Bond girl in the same vein as the others and Craig's James Bond will be the main character. Do you really think they would do something like this for Craig's final film? Please start being a bit more realistic.

Hopefully someone will actually listen this time.

And @DoctorNo, surely they're just going to write a female character? There doesn't need to be an agenda behind it. This "new" 007 will just be characterised in the same way as if the "new" 007 was male. Just because SJW's exist and have had their say about the property, doesn't mean it's going to show up in the context of the film.

EDIT: Also, are people just gonna give any "good idea" that shows up in Bond 25 to Boyle? Really?

And to hammer the point home, most female writers do not and will not have an agenda when writing something, they're just doing what all writers want to do - create a good story and good characters.
    If this rumour is true, I suspect this was Boyle's movie gold idea (or a part of that idea).

If this rumour is true I suspect it to be an unused idea for DAD, like someone already said.

And if that is golden, I suspect it's Pyrite, you know, fools gold ;)
    @Denbigh Umm, have you read my last few comments? I 100% LOVE this "Bond is retired and there is a new, female 007" rumour! Why? Because it's fresh and unlike the "next Bond should be female" nonsense, this would not change Bond's character. It would change the situation around him.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    @Denbigh Umm, have you read my last few comments? I 100% LOVE this "Bond is retired and there is a new, female 007" rumour! Why? Because it's fresh and unlike the "next Bond should be female" nonsense, this would not change Bond's character. It would change the situation around him.
    @PanchitoPistoles Oh I know, this was directed more at the naysayers and people that don't seem to thinking about it more realistically. I was just explaining my GIF posting to you.
    Denbigh wrote: »
    @PanchitoPistoles Oh I know, this was directed more at the naysayers and people that don't seem to thinking about it more realistically. I was just explaining my GIF posting to you.
    Oh, I see. I thought it was aimed at me. Apologies.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    @PanchitoPistoles I'm all for a discussion but people seem to be getting the wrong idea from what was said in this article on multiple levels. I already tried rationalising this last night but no-one wanted to listen or even consider my argument, but I'll give it another go.

In my opinion, the DailyMail have spun this possible news into a #MeToo situation. A female writer doesn't mean a #MeToo film or feminist film, neither does a female 007. Just because you have a female presence in either position, it doesn't mean the writer or Bond girl is going to burn their bras and throw them at the audience. It just means the character is female, and to think that that would be the case is incredibly close-minded.

And just to make you feel a bit better, they are not, I repeat not, going to have this possible "female 007" (007 not James Bond) take up more screen time. She'll be a Bond girl in the same vein as the others and Craig's James Bond will be the main character. Do you really think they would do something like this for Craig's final film? Please start being a bit more realistic.

And @DoctorNo, surely they're just going to write a female character? There doesn't need to be an agenda behind it. This "new" 007 will just be characterised in the same way as if the "new" 007 was male. Just because SJW's exist and have had their say about the property, doesn't mean it's going to show up in the context of the film.

EDIT: Also, are people just gonna give any "good idea" that shows up in Bond 25 to Boyle? Really?

And to hammer the point home, most female writers do not and will not have an agenda when writing something, they're just doing what all writers want to do - create a good story and good characters.

I agreed with you when you posted this first a few pages back, and I'll repeat that agreement here again. Strong female characters and #MeToo are not mutually exclusive, despite what the tabloids would have people believe. It seems people are falling for sensationalist language once again, despite the fact that the idea has great potential for a number of reasons, IF (as stated multiple times) it turns out to be 100% accurate.
  • DoctorNoDoctorNo USA-Maryland

I was responding to people's hypothetical female 007... I stand by my remarks. I have no idea what EON will do. You make it sound like you have insight/connection to them rather than fan speculation, do you? I do think SJWs can influence their decision making, yes. If this is all rumor garbage then it's irrelevant, but the SJWs aren't going away and Bond will have to continue to ignore them or be in some way influenced by it.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    A new series of films with a lesbian 007 is fine by me.
    So are these the significant new characters as far as we know? To the people who have kept track: can you please confirm or deny?

1. Main villain (played by Malek)
    2. CIA agent (played by Magnussen)
    3. female character (possibly henchwoman)
    4. female MI6 agent (possibly new 007)
  • DenbighDenbigh UK

I was responding to people's hypothetical female 007... I stand by my remarks. I have no idea what EON will do. You make it sound like you have insight/connection to them rather than fan speculation, do you? I do think SJWs can influence their decision making, yes. If this is all rumor garbage then it's irrelevant, but the SJWs aren't going away and Bond will have to continue to ignore them or be in some way influenced by it.
    I have no idea what they will do either, but I really don't think they're going to have characters that are agenda driven, if that was the case, it would've happened by now. The point I'm trying to argue against is this idea that people have that this new female agent who may or may not take up the 007 mantle will be #MeToo driven or have some kind of SJW context. Whether the idea was birthed from that I don't know (although I do doubt it), but either way I do not think this character will be a hyper-feminist, who makes James Bond feel inadequate like some have suggested. She will just be a female character, and also just because female writer is onboard, it doesn't mean that writer also has an agenda.

And if this part ("they are not, I repeat not, going to have this possible "female 007" (007 not James Bond) take up more screen time") made it sound like I'm close to production that's not the case. I'm just stating that regardless of what happens, this will be a James Bond film because it is Craig's last one and they're not going to waste that on making other characters have a more significant role and seem like the main protagonist. He will lead the film, with other characters weaved throughout.

And thanks @CraigMooreOHMSS, if you had posted your agreement before I'm sorry I missed it :)
    So are these the significant new characters as far as we know? To the people who have kept track: can you please confirm or deny?

1. Main villain (played by Malek)
    2. CIA agent (played by Magnussen)
    3. female character (possibly henchwoman)
    4. female MI6 agent (possibly new 007)
    Wasn't the other female character compared to Camille? I don't think she's a villain.
  • DoctorNoDoctorNo USA-Maryland
    @Denbigh You have to see a female 007, even if it is not "feminist" driven is still baiting #MeToo not by trying to appease them but by incurring their wrath... they will be all over that. If female 007 doesn't get enough screen time they will be pissed. If she doesn't just take over for Bond, they will be pissed. If she's inept or gets killed or needs saving, they will be pissed.

Exactly
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    @Denbigh You have to see a female 007, even if it is not "feminist" driven is still baiting #MeToo not by trying to appease them but by incurring their wrath... they will be all over that. If female 007 doesn't get enough screen time they will be pissed. If she doesn't just take over for Bond, they will be pissed. If she's inept or gets killed or needs saving, they will be pissed.

And if they don't do any of that, they'll still be pissed. There is no winning with some people, and I would be willing to bet that Eon know that at this stage. MeToo has shined a big light on the subject again, but it really is nothing new. Bond has gone through these movements before, and withstood the same repeated arguments time and time again.

As the fella says, it'll be grand.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Well to that I can only say that you can't please everyone, and people are going to attack a film for whatever reason, so just because the film may bait certain viewers, it doesn't mean they shouldn't do it. People really went for Skyfall when they saw how Severine was handled and certain scenes she was in, but a majority of people still enjoyed and saw what they were going for.

And @CraigMooreOHMSS, you also make a good point to this. Overall, I just wanna make sure people don't get scared of female writers or female 007's because until they actually do the thing you're worried about or think about casting a female James Bond, there's no need for concern. This supposed female 007/protege might be the best Bond girl we've ever seen, who knows? But to call the idea flawed and troublesome when we have no idea what the context is, is pretty hasty and unnecessary at this point in time.
  • NS_writingsNS_writings Buenos Aires
    Univex wrote: »

+2. Exactly.

+3. Let it flush down the toilet and keep it away from movies. Bond movies, at least.
    My hopes are that
    if true, this female 007 will be investigating something and she'll be the film's sacrificial lamb. Something like Keri Russel's characer in M:I-III
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    So, your answer @NS_writings is...

If she is indeed a female agent who was hired after James' retirement, kill her! Really?

I'll say this again, the #MeToo angle will be pushed by the media, not the writers.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Can’t believe this needs to be said but here goes: James Bond is 007 and 007 is James Bond. Anything else is fan fiction.

Can’t believe this needs to be said but here goes: James Bond is 007 and 007 is James Bond. Anything else is fan fiction.

Looking forward to your reaction to Bond 25! :))

On a more serious note: in the fictional world of Bond, Bond can’t be 007 forever. I mean he is either IMMORTAL or will cease to be 007 at one point. What’s wrong with exploring the idea of the next 007 and how Bond interacts with him/her?

I said that earlier. There will be no more 007s. If MI6 promotes a new agent to the 00 section, they will be given the first number available. Even if 007 has died, that number will no longer be used.

Nope. James Bond is a person, the son of Andrew and Monique Bond.
    007 is a code name, given to one of the agents in the 00-section of MI6.

If Anthony Horowitz can start his new novel with a 007 that isn't James Bond, why would it be such a leap in logic that this is impossible for the films?

Think of this: James Bond has quit MI6 at the end of Spectre. He goes to live with Madeleine in Italy or Norway or Jamaica.

Meanwhile, M has one agent less. The 007 position is vacant. So what does he do? He promotes a new agent to the 00-section. Whether male or female is not important. She or he makes the two kills necessary to become a 00.

Then, Bond is needed and comes out of retirement. He gets reinstated by M and gets his code name of 007 back. The agent goes back to normal. We end the film by James Bond still being 007. No "passing of the torch", just temporary retirement.

As if Horowitz's idea was compelling to begin with.
  • NS_writingsNS_writings Buenos Aires
    So, your answer @NS_writings is...

If she is indeed a female agent who was hired after James' retirement, kill her! Really?

Of course. The story has to move along and there has been a reason to need Bond, the old 007, back. So we can have a "James Bond 007" film, you know. ;)
  • Blofeld0064Blofeld0064 Milford, Michigan
    Seriously guys what is wrong with the idea of having another agent take on the 007 number? It's actually quite unique and original something we have never seen in the franchise before! And it's not like the agent is taking on the name james bond which I always thought the codename theory was nonsense and so does eon! Hence why they put a stop to tamohori establishing the codename theory in Die Another Day.
    James Bond is the only 007 people want to see.
  • CatchingBulletsCatchingBullets facebook.com/catchingbullets
    "When you start framing it like that... it sounds quite cool." - TALK RADIO

CATCHING BULLETS talks to TALK RADIO's Jamie East about Daniel Craig's tenure and triumphs as 007, the already exciting names being added to the BOND 25 mix and what the brilliant potential of Phoebe Waller-Bridge's involvement could mean for EON's newest Bond bullet...

(1300 - 1330 segment / 21 mins in)

https://talkradio.co.uk/radio/listen-again/1555243200
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Seriously guys what is wrong with the idea of having another agent take on the 007 number? It's actually quite unique and original something we have never seen in the franchise before! And it's not like the agent is taking on the name james bond which I always thought the codename theory was nonsense and so does eon! Hence why they put a stop to tamohori establishing the codename theory in Die Another Day.

- It's stupid and pointless

- Read Forever and a day, it's not unique nor original

• JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    AgentM72 wrote: »
    The cinematographer said they start in April, so they start in April.
    That was before they moved the release date to April 2020. Now they can afford to start filming a bit later.

@Risico007 What panic? They will have plenty of time to finish the movie if they start filming in June.

Btw, the Caribbean hurricane season ends around early November, so it's safe to say filming in Jamaica will begin only after that. So if you consider that filming will take about 6 months and that it will not end by early November, it seems like a safe bet that filming will NOT begin before June.

You proved his point.