SirHenryLeeChaChing's For Original Fans - Favorite Moments In NTTD (spoilers)

Comments

• edited March 2019 Posts: 3,564
    The only spoilers I want to see are in the official commercials & trailers for the film. I totally avoid the Bond 25 thread... and frankly, wasn't even aware that Swann was set to return (although if I'm forced to think about it, it's not surprising given the type of stories Craig's tenure has given us.) So thanks for the unintended spoiler, @Birdie! I suspect a reprise of that Louis Armstrong song is in our future...
  • edited March 2019 Posts: 3,564
    No-no-no. Your best response would have been, "You'd have to be living under a rock not to know that..."
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    I must say it turns out harder and harder to avoid big spoilers. The second location is now clear and it's all announced in the title of articles. So there's no way of avoiding it, other than cutting all Bond-interest-ties until the film's here. I don't know, it fels like nobody wants to be surprised anymore. It does take away some of the thrills of the new film.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Well, if someone wants to stay completely unspoiled then yes, they must stay off this website entirely and avoid all major news in other media (including headlines as cast members are announced). Pretty much impossible.

It varies, what spoils it for one person and not another.
    I am happy to learn some things and feel it will still NOT be spoiled for me:
    Locations, cast members, crew, composer, who will sing the title song, oh and the title itself. Things like that.

What spoils it for me is when I know too much about the story ahead of time. That's it.
    BUT I've been lucky so far and never had a Bond film yet truly spoiled for me.

Trailers are dangerous. Sometimes a trailer shows way too much (for any film), and that is hard to decide ahead of time for Bond (view or not view?). In the past I have watched the first initial trailers only. This time, I have not yet decided whether to view any trailers.

I don't want to read about (in headline, thread title, etc.) what kind of scene is being filmed. Because that can give away too much of the story. I don't want descriptions of what is being filmed. So that's difficult, but I'll do my best. I cannot visit the first page of the Bond 25 Production thread now because they said what kind of scene was being filmed. I don't want to know that ahead of time. I would see it start on screen and think OH this part is coming up ... I don't want that.

Another film I am very excited for is John Wick 3. Same thing. I did watch the first trailer but now I won't watch the newer ones, and I've stopped reading about the film. I want to see it as fresh as I can.
    Does anyone remember staying till the very end of the theatrical movie to discover for the first time what the title of the next Bond movie would be? I don’t recall many (if any) early reviews ever mentioning the name of the next movie. Critics just weren’t that interested in staying till the very end to report on this frivolous tidbit. It used to be a real revelation to us older fans waiting eagerly for James Bond Will Return in ... Live & Let Die (for example).

Personally it doesn’t bother me about spoilers. The only instance that it would spoil my enjoyment would be if the movie had a major twist at the end and it was reported on, such as the original ending to the classic Planet of the Apes or Psycho.
    I don't quite get the need for accessing so many spoilers that most people seem to have now. I wouldn't go into a book store, buy a book and then ask what happens at the end as I pay.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    What I will likely do is avoid certain threads leading up to the Bond25's release, not including SP I have been fortunate to know very little about the Bond films prior to watching at the cinema since the early 80's. I go on YouTube quite a lot so I will temporally unsubscribe to channels that are likely to spoil things.

I can easily shut down once the release gets closer, Bond is one of the things I can switch off from entirely when I need to, generally I choose to avoid watching the existing films for long periods so I can revisit them with a fresh perspective.
    I got turned off of the Bond 25 thread for various reasons. There was the clinging to what some Redditer or "insider" may or usually may not know. Then there were the constant whiny posts from some members about Eon. And I would leave the thread only to come back a day later to 300 new posts or more on some days, most amounting to nothing. My life isn't that narrow that I can devote that time or attention to such although I'm a lifelong and hardcore Bond fan.

So if all that makes the new film that much more fresh, then great.

I was the kind of fan who was satisfied to get a tidbit in Starlog magazine such as "Topol will play a mysterious Greek in the new James Bond movie" or "Jaws will not return in For Your Eyes Only". Our newspaper ran a photo of the new Lotus also, but that was about the extent of it. It wasn't until the teaser ad ran the Sunday before the movie was released that I found out John Barry wasn't scoring it but some guy named Bill Conti. It was all good then and maybe it can be again.

And I was a fan who enjoyed those little teases to the next movie. Back then at least there were the main cast and a few other credits and then done. It's not like today when credits amount to their own short film in themselves.
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    Sunday afternoon watching TMWTGG on television and thought I'd pop by to see what's happening
    So glad to see some movement on this ,one of my favourite threads
    I've also been keeping a low profile to avoid Bond 25 being spoiled.
    edited March 2019 Posts: 12,459
    Good to see members chiming in here. Thanks!

@bondsum of course I remember! Watching titles all the way through, and excited to see the title of the next Bond film, and wanting to watch the one I just saw in that theater again. Absolutely.

So in my teens through my '40s, let's just say "pre-internet" most of my life ... I only knew a few things about the next Bond film. For several years, I knew the title. I found out ahead of time about main cast members and maybe a location or two. That's it! When I sat down in that darkened theater (getting early and hoping no noisy children or loud jerks sitting anywhere near me), I knew I was in for a fun ride, some kind of adventure with a character I loved through the novels and previous films. It all just unfolded for me. NOT knowing main plot points, not having seen photos or video clips from the film yet at all ... it was like the best present. I never unwrapped my presents early, though I know some people did like to do that. But not me. ;)

@Mrcoggins lovely to see you here, dear chap. Onward we go!
    @vzok I understand what you mean. I'm an avid reader, so that point is well taken and is apt.

But truly to each his own, as far as what it is is not "spoiled# for them ahead of time. there is no "right" or "wrong" approach - just your own individual approach.

@Fire_and_Ice_Returns good point about YouTube. I don't subscribe there, but temporarily unsubscribing makes sense.

Cutting off from current Bond news, staying off Bond sites, and watching the previous films - that has worked for me in the past. That approach refills me with Bond, the things I love, and gets me in the best frame of mind for the new film.

I usually do that 2 to 3 months prior to the film's release (complete cut off, I mean). This time, I hope to pop in here for only a few threads (like this one) throughout the lead up time. We shall see. I may need to leave earlier, as this is a special film, Daniel's last one, and I want it to be very fresh for me when I see it.
    BT3366 wrote: »
    I was the kind of fan who was satisfied to get a tidbit in Starlog magazine such as "Topol will play a mysterious Greek in the new James Bond movie" or "Jaws will not return in For Your Eyes Only". Our newspaper ran a photo of the new Lotus also, but that was about the extent of it. It wasn't until the teaser ad ran the Sunday before the movie was released that I found out John Barry wasn't scoring it but some guy named Bill Conti. It was all good then and maybe it can be again.

And I was a fan who enjoyed those little teases to the next movie. Back then at least there were the main cast and a few other credits and then done. It's not like today when credits amount to their own short film in themselves.

Well, that describes my experiences pretty well. I remember watching a trailer for older films, only sometimes, but that's about it.

I know it's easy as an older fan to look back and say I prefer the old ways (cue your Bond film references now ...) ... but I also greatly appreciate the internet for many things, including more information on films if I want that. The "when" I want to see that is the tricky part and takes discipline and awareness.

However, I remember vividly the excitement and anticipation I had for the next Bond film - and that was very heady many years ago. I'm glad I grew up when I did (for reasons such as Bond, but also for my musical preferences/experiences) ... and what I work towards now (since the internet) is truly to recapture as much strong anticipation and excitement as I can for the next Bond film, without knowing too much.

Again, that level of "spoiled" is unique to each individual. And sometimes for me it feels like a marathon wait - or as we get within a year, more like parkour - but it's worth it to me to make my personal experience the best I can be. But I have to work at it. B-)

BT3366 wrote: »

Well, that describes my experiences pretty well. I remember watching a trailer for older films, only sometimes, but that's about it.

I know it's easy as an older fan to look back and say I prefer the old ways (cue your Bond film references now ...) ... but I also greatly appreciate the internet for many things, including more information on films if I want that. The "when" I want to see that is the tricky part and takes discipline and awareness.

However, I remember vividly the excitement and anticipation I had for the next Bond film - and that was very heady many years ago. I'm glad I grew up when I did (for reasons such as Bond, but also for my musical preferences/experiences) ... and what I work towards now (since the internet) is truly to recapture as much strong anticipation and excitement as I can for the next Bond film, without knowing too much.

Again, that level of "spoiled" is unique to each individual. And sometimes for me it feels like a marathon wait - or as we get within a year, more like parkour - but it's worth it to me to make my personal experience the best I can be. But I have to work at it. B-)
    I agree with much of what you say above as I'm not totally cutting off from info here and there, just more selective as you said. I was burned at the old Ain't It Cool News in '99 on a TWINE thread where one of the posters spelled out the twist in big, bold letters. Nobody worried about spoiler tags back then.

Having more information is cooler than just the tidbits. I won't shun the trailers at all, but won't be overexposed, either.
    It pays to be careful, that's all. I will watch the first trailer for Bond 25, but not further clips. That worked ok for me for Skyfall and Spectre.

It is a problem when thread headlines alone can be alarming. This site is not too bad about that, in general.
    I guess it’s true that modern trailers giveaway far too much. I haven’t watched any of the old ones to reconfirm this belief but I seem to recall the old trailers cutting away immediately before an outcome was shown, treating the tease as a mini-cliffhanger of sorts. I’m sure a lot of you will be curious to see exactly how Fukunaga has captured the action, meaning spoilers be damned. Also, I’m not exactly sure how some of you regular cinemagoers are going to be able to avoid seeing a Bond 25 trailer, unless you cover your eyes and ears throughout the coming attraction previews.

For those that honestly don’t want to know anything about B25, I suggest going off-grid two months prior to its release. Stay off all media access sites from now on to be safe. Avoid any showbiz news of any kind.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Spoilers have never bothered me. I prefer to see how the film is progressing and see the photos and clips from the production. I don't think I could ignore it even if I wanted to.

I do agree with @Birdleson though, too many spoilers were there in the trailer for SP. The cuckoo line. That was unnecessary.
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    I will only watch the teaser trailer. I've already started decreasing my visits to this wonderful forum the closer we get to release. (Although I suspect my visits to the glorious 'Bond Comments While You Watch' and contributing to the 'Bond Movie Meter' will increase the closer we get to release!)

I've already long since stopped reading the Bond 25 production thread - although that was initially for entirely different reasons - a pleasant side effect is to remain spoiler free so far.

I was completely spoiler free for SF - I had no idea Moneypenny was back or M would die or that Fiennes was the new M. SP gave quite a bit away in the trailer so I'll avoid anything other than the teaser.

My biggest challenge will be avoiding the 007 related podcasts that I enjoy listening to. (James Bonding & JBR especially.)
  • I only pay attention to what Eon has officially released. Trailers, TV commercials, that sort of thing. The theme song. when it gets released a few weeks ahead of the film. As far as I'm concerned, if Eon releases it they must think it's not too spoiler-y. But I'm absolutely staying away from any fan-released info.
    Now that's a charming photo of a young Bernard Lee. Thanks, @Birdleson.

@BeatlesSansEarmuffs I get what you are saying, and I definitely avoid fan made clips before a new Bond film. I am just hoping the first trailer does not include anything I would consider a spoiler.

@bondsum and @Major_Boothroyd I think older films (in general) did not give away too much in the trailers, though I'm sure some did. For Bond films, I don't recall anything being spoiled for me pre-internet. I am hoping I can watch the teaser trailer and first full trailer, though I'll be wary. I'll probably look for people's comments first on them before adventuring in. It's a tricky minefield!

Skyfall was unspoiled for me - I did not know M would die or that Moneypenny was in it (as Moneypenny). And it was a glorious experience, seeing Skyfall unspoiled. It is still in my top 10 (closer to top 5). I think it's brilliant and very enjoyable to watch.
    It would be good to have a thread that is a calm oasis, chatting about all things Bond, especially touching on experiences of the older fans but welcoming all members here for great discussion. Oh yes ... that's this thread. ;) Just like SirHenry guided for years.

There will never be spoilers allowed on this thread (or acrimonious sniping or spamming). So here's to this place, which always has been a special place to hang out on this forum.

By the way, I heard back from Brady @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 . He may be off for some time still, though he considers you all to be good chaps (and ladies). He's actually trying to know as little as possible about Bond 25 before seeing it, far more than I am ... including cast. So bless him, he'll be mostly off the internet.

For most people here, what is your timeline for leaving Bond forums on the lead up to Bond 25? For me 2 or 3 months ahead of release. For people wanting to know very little indeed it would be perhaps now.

Other than avoiding Bond forums, how can you avoid news about Bond 25? I don't read new online except regular newspapers or a couple of TV networks (Washington Post, L.A. Times, BBC, etc.) They will surely have cast announcements, song announcement ... but I hope they do not have spoilers in headlines. I just don't what to know exactly what kind of villain(s) will be in Bond 25, for example; or where the car chase will take place (surely there will be one). It's not easy to avoid news altogether.

Does anyone have any favorite sites on the internet for news that they feel is "safer" or more spoiler free? Just wondering, as I'm rather limited.
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    I'm intending to stay spoiler free as much as possible. @4EverBonded I think avoiding hearing about casting or the title song will be virtually impossible. Even without visiting sites like IMDB, Empire etc. every movie site is designed to deliver the latest news. Unfortunately I'll probably have to drop off this site in the next six months. By the same token I want to have the excitement of watching the teaser trailer and the live webcast unveiling Spectre's title and cast was good fun. I still remember hearing the Skyfall title song for the first time. Those kind of things are part of the enjoyment for me - but the things I want to avoid are reading synopsis or trading in speculation over shots in the trailer. That stuff doesn't interest me at all.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    I want to know NOTHING. I found out more than I wanted to know about SPECTRE, even trying not to see. I want to come into this one completely cold.
    So you can hang out here, where we will reveal NOTHING about Bond 25. :)

Hard to do that anywhere else, but this is a public Bond fan service we are proud to offer throughout the months leading up to this new film.

@Major_Boothroyd I am sort of same as you. And indeed I may need to leave sooner than I did for Skyfall and Spectre. Unsure yet.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    I only want to know who's doing the music is all.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I know this is an originals thread, but I just wanted to pop in and tell you lot I really enjoy reading through this thread from time to time, always some great discussions and respectful, level-headed conversations taking place here. SirHenry would be very proud!
    This is a special place for Originals, sure (those who saw Connery as Bond in a theatre during first release; us "more seasoned" Bond fans) ... but we welcome all members to comment - as long as along same tone (no fighting, spamming, spoilers - just civility, with some humor, too, as we go along our Bond journey here).

SirHenry valued this thread and did know and appreciate all the support he received here. We carry on a little as it's just a great place to be (though never the same without him, of course).

If you want a break from current Bond chat, do revisit older pages here. I recommend that often (hopefully not sound like I'm harping on it). The reviews and background info in this thread are magnificent, fun, and thought provoking. B-)
    -
    I'm very interested in the composer and who will sing the title song. I think that may be some weeks or months off .... at least the song. Composer we could know sooner, and that's important to me.

Meanwhile, I'll repost this here. I re-read some of these myself during the course of a year; just very enjoyable to dip back into. Also all Originals did their own reviews of all Bond films - great to read those, too.
    +++++++

You can find SirHenry's rankings and reviews, as well as production/trivia notes when given. His ranking for the film is first, then his personal review is the first page # listed; and when he added a lot of trivia information about a film (only FYEO thru Skyfall), the second page # listed is for that add'l info (lots of production notes and little known details).
    On these pages you will also see other members' reviews. So take your time, enjoy. There is plenty here that is interesting and still fresh.

SirHenry's ranking/review's page#
    Dr. No - 3.4/ Page 3

FRWL - 4.2/ Page 3

GF - 4.5/ Page 4

TB - 4.2/ Page 5

YOLT - 3.8/ Page 6

OHMSS - 3.7/ Page 7

DAF - 3.0/ Page 7

LALD - 4.1/ Page 9

TMWTGG - 3.2/ Page 9

TSWLM - 4.0/ Page 10

MR- 2.8/ Page 11

FYEO - 4.1/ Page 12; trivia notes Page 45

OP - 3.5/ Page 13; trivia notes Page 47

AVTAK - 3.3/ Page 13; trivia notes Page 50

TLD - 4.1/ Page 15; trivia notes Page 51

LTK - 4.3/ Page 15; trivia notes Page 52

GE - 3.9/ Page 19; trivia notes Page 55

TND - 3.7/ Page 19; trivia notes Page 57

TWINE - 3.2/ Page 19; trivia notes Page 58

DAD - 2.6/ Page 20; trivia notes Page 59

CR - 4.4/ Page 21; trivia notes Page 62

QOS - 3.5/ Page 23; trivia notes Page 63

SF - 4.1/ Page 27; trivia notes Page 65
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    You needn't worry about that, @4EverBonded, I appear to be in the same boat as most of you here; a bit more negative about the upcoming film, unfortunately, but I also have zero intention of looking into anything about Bond 25. I want to go into it knowing as little as I possibly can.
    edited April 2019 Posts: 12,459
    It's really a matter of finding topics to discuss that are of current interest.
    I'm always open to suggestions. I think staying unspoiled for Bond 25 is currently important to a lot of members.

This thread was set up as an oasis, a safe and fun (and mature) place to hang out. And spoiler-free.

But in a few days, we can chat about other things, too. If there is anything in particular people would like to talk about here - or have any questions for us older fans about anything concerning Bond and our experiences as long term fans - just let me know.
    I'm happy to be back more regularly now (after nearly 2 years; a necessary break for personal reasons).