SirHenryLeeChaChing's For Original Fans - Favorite Moments In NTTD (spoilers)

Comments

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Well, fortunately it really is kept. Nothing thrown away. My personal challenge is to print out the first 100 pages. I will get around to doing that.

Members at the time of SirHenry's passing did decide to continue, and we shall. :) It is good to remind everybody once in a while about the earlier pages which do contain hidden treasure.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Bond in CR - We are reminded often during the movie that this new Bond is a killing machine who seems to enjoy it more than the portrayals of Moore and Brosnan, whose Bonds tended to see the act as a regrettable but necessary aspect of their position. Like Connery and Dalton, there's little to no regret on this score. This is a Bond who is new to his job, rough around the edges and far from the polished product we've come to expect, but he already has the skills of seduction that made the character the envy of men everywhere, and along the way we see his tastes in fine clothing, hotels, cars, and women slowly morphing him closer to the ideal. Most importantly of all, Bond learns that his job is full of deception and that knowing who to trust can mean the difference between life, love, and death in a business where only the strong survive. Craig's wide range of acting talent is showcased here as we see Bond flushed with true love, deeply angered by betrayal, and profoundly heartbroken all in the last 15 minutes of the film. His last scene with Mr. White with the Bond theme slowly rising in the background, introducing himself, just reeks with greatness and still puts a huge smile on my face every time.

Considering I was one of those who initially rejected Craig's hire I freely admit here that I was dead wrong about Craig, a powerful and impressive debut all the way around, and one that ranks with Connery and Dalton's for "wow factor"- 4.5/5

@4EverBonded I love this from Sir Henry-- a few of our warrior keyboard champs should read this review, posted by a man who was there from the beginning. He was articulate, honest and knew when he was wrong. To him it wasn't about how many posts, but the quality of posts-- which means, as I am learning, being open, honest and humble.

As you said yesterday: take off the gloves and argue about Craig on another thread-- well spoken, by the way!
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Self-deprecating humour, Sir Henry was king-- which showed his humility. Thank you for sharing @4EverBonded
    edited March 2019 Posts: 12,459
    Just to make this far more accessible to everybody ... here are the page #s for in this thread. It has been a long time since I have posted this reference. I hope more than just one of you dive back in. It's worth a look, especially now as we await official news on Bond 25.

You can find SirHenry's rankings and reviews, as well as production/trivia notes when given. His ranking for the film is first, then his personal review is the first page # listed; and when he added a lot of trivia information about a film (only FYEO thru Skyfall), the second page # listed is for that add'l info (lots of production notes and little known details).
    On these pages you will also see other members' reviews. So take your time, enjoy. There is plenty here that is interesting and still fresh. B-)
    SirHenry's ranking/review's page#
    Dr. No - 3.4/ Page 3

FRWL - 4.2/ Page 3

GF - 4.5/ Page 4

TB - 4.2/ Page 5

YOLT - 3.8/ Page 6

OHMSS - 3.7/ Page 7

DAF - 3.0/ Page 7

LALD - 4.1/ Page 9

TMWTGG - 3.2/ Page 9

TSWLM - 4.0/ Page 10

MR- 2.8/ Page 11

FYEO - 4.1/ Page 12; trivia notes Page 45

OP - 3.5/ Page 13; trivia notes Page 47

AVTAK - 3.3/ Page 13; trivia notes Page 50

TLD - 4.1/ Page 15; trivia notes Page 51

LTK - 4.3/ Page 15; trivia notes Page 52

GE - 3.9/ Page 19; trivia notes Page 55

TND - 3.7/ Page 19; trivia notes Page 57

TWINE - 3.2/ Page 19; trivia notes Page 58

DAD - 2.6/ Page 20; trivia notes Page 59

CR - 4.4/ Page 21; trivia notes Page 62

QOS - 3.5/ Page 23; trivia notes Page 63

SF - 4.1/ Page 27; trivia notes Page 65
  • peterpeter Toronto
    To all true Bond fans: please trust me: required reading. We may not all agree, but we are all fans, and look how this group of "originals" handled themselves.

There's just an amazing respect with this bunch of wonderful personalities (which, reading the B25 thread again today was shameful. Everyone has a right to their feelings and opinions, and not one poster said differently, not one-- until one did-- to create what??-- only he can answer).

This thread is polite discourse, and should be aspired to.

Wonderful fans; articulate, passionate and open.
  • @peter -- Thanks for enjoying the thread! SirHenry did indeed provide Bond fandom with a unique and exceptionally valuable space when he created this topic thread, and I'm proud to have been a part of it.

I've been meaning to address the issue of "Bond locations" for awhile now, and in fact have touched briefly on the point in my review of A View to a Kill. While many have judged this film as one of their lesser favorites, I'm particularly fond of it because of the San Francisco bay area locations. As a long time bay area resident, I just love seeing Bond escaping from a fire in SF City Hall, then jumping a fire truck over the Lefty O'Doul bridge. One of the outtakes to this film shown on the MGM Special Edition DVD, with Bond reconnoitering an oil refinery from a boat, and several protesters nearby in their own craft, is a particular favorite, as the refinery used is clearly the Chevron oil refinery in Pt. Richmond...and Richmond was my home town when I first became a Bond fan back around 1964! The joy I get from seeing 007 tooling around in my home spaces is such that A View to a Kill will always get a better reception from this viewer than it does from many others. I may never see the sights from Piz Gloria... but I'll always have a special appreciation for the reverberations of Tanya Roberts' voice as she shouts, "JAaaaaaaames!" from inside that elevator shaft.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Ha!! Love this @BeatlesSansEarmuffs !! And, I may not have from the Bay Area— but I’ve always had a soft spot for AVTAK!!
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    After seeing 'the Hitman's Bodyguard' I regret Bond never reallly made use of Amsterdam and it's possibilities. The chase in the 'Hitman'is very well done and utileses the city in the best way possible.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    @peter -- Thanks for enjoying the thread! SirHenry did indeed provide Bond fandom with a unique and exceptionally valuable space when he created this topic thread, and I'm proud to have been a part of it.

I've been meaning to address the issue of "Bond locations" for awhile now, and in fact have touched briefly on the point in my review of A View to a Kill. While many have judged this film as one of their lesser favorites, I'm particularly fond of it because of the San Francisco bay area locations. As a long time bay area resident, I just love seeing Bond escaping from a fire in SF City Hall, then jumping a fire truck over the Lefty O'Doul bridge. One of the outtakes to this film shown on the MGM Special Edition DVD, with Bond reconnoitering an oil refinery from a boat, and several protesters nearby in their own craft, is a particular favorite, as the refinery used is clearly the Chevron oil refinery in Pt. Richmond...and Richmond was my home town when I first became a Bond fan back around 1964! The joy I get from seeing 007 tooling around in my home spaces is such that A View to a Kill will always get a better reception from this viewer than it does from many others. I may never see the sights from Piz Gloria... but I'll always have a special appreciation for the reverberations of Tanya Roberts' voice as she shouts, "JAaaaaaaames!" from inside that elevator shaft.

Seems this coincides with my feelings about TND, somehow...
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Funny, I don't have that with DAF. Amsterdam is criminaly underused there anyway ( see'The Hitman's Bodyguard' for making good us of the city).

That leaves me to ask you people the next question which I probably can't ask anywhere else because of the 'negative' connotation, but in what film(s) do you think are Bond locations used better than in the Bond-film.

i.e. as said Amterdam is used far better in the Hitman' then in DAF. On the other hand I haven't seen a film using Udaipur better then OP does, even though many films were shot there. And I don't think any other film uses the Golden Gate Bridge better then AVTAK. Any thoughts?
    Ah, thoughts on locations. Good topic, @CommanderRoss.

So looking at the other side, which locations in Bond films were underused or used much better in other films. Well, I suppose we can look at the secondary locations in Bond films, where he did not spend much time. Let me think.

First, I agree Amsterdam was not used much at all and that is a shame.
    Also, I felt Rome was not used as well as it could have been in Spectre.

Golden Gate Bridge - there surely are other films using it well, but I cannot think of any. @BeatlesSansEarmuffs and @Birdleson, what can you add to this topic? You can remember way more films and locations than I can, and you both know California.
    I cannot recall how well it is used in Vertigo (only movie I saw you listed). ;) Thanks, @Birdleson.
    Well, then AVTAK utilizes the Golden Gate Bridge more. :)
  • There's a Ray Harryhausen gem from the '50s, It Came From Beneath the Sea, about a giant octopus that attacks San Francisco. I saw it on TV as a kid in the mid-sixties --B&W, of course-- and it scared the wits out of me. (Some would say they never returned...) Worse than the giant octopus arm that tore down the Golden Gate bridge was the scene where the G.O. arm grabs a young lady alone on the beach at nightfall and drags her, screaming, into the surf. The thought that this scary stuff could be taking place just across the bay from me made this particular movie exceptionally effective to this youngster sans earmuffs.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    On the other hand I haven't seen a film using Udaipur better then OP does, even though many films were shot there.
    Regarding Udaipur, the first thing that comes to my mind is Fritz Lang's Der Tiger von Eschnapur (aka The Tiger of Bengal) and its sequel, Das indische Grabmal/The Indian Tomb, both from 1959. Those are basically remakes of 1921 silents for which Lang and his then-wife had written the scripts, and really somewhat cringe-inducing by today's standards, including a more-or-less "blackfaced" maharajah. But they show a lot of Udaipur in glorious post-WWII colour. Not to mention a 21-year old Luciana Paluzzi six years before TB, but that's yet another story.
    edited September 2018 Posts: 7,973
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    On the other hand I haven't seen a film using Udaipur better then OP does, even though many films were shot there.
    Regarding Udaipur, the first thing that comes to my mind is Fritz Lang's Der Tiger von Eschnapur (aka The Tiger of Bengal) and its sequel, Das indische Grabmal/The Indian Tomb, both from 1959. Those are basically remakes of 1921 silents for which Lang and his then-wife had written the scripts, and really somewhat cringe-inducing by today's standards, including a more-or-less "blackfaced" maharajah. But they show a lot of Udaipur in glorious post-WWII colour. Not to mention a 21-year old Luciana Paluzzi six years before TB, but that's yet another story.

Indeed not quite what I had in mind when I talked about Bond locations, but Luciana for sure makes it an alluring film. Would be interesting to see it. There's also the fantastic Ram Leela that came out a few years ago (a typical Bollywood film (and there've been many Ram Leela's), but this one is just fantastic).

Still I think the settings of Udaipur fitted the story of OP best as it almost feels it couldn't have been shot anywhere else.

Interesting by the way you and @Beatless both mention very old films indeed. Did they utilise surroundings better in the first half of the century?

@BeatlesSansEarmuffs sounds like a scary monster indeed (Dr. No (novel) times ten?).

But was the bridge better utilised there then in AVTAK? I think the combination of the hight, the way the bridge is built and the blimp make it very special.

Another example: Palmyra in TB is amazing. It all works perfectly. The location, the shark tanks.

On the other hand, in CR The Ocean Club could be almost any beachfront hotel. Not that special at all to my mind, even though it still looked cool.
    New Bond site perhaps worth checking out; a massive archive. :-bd
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    New Bond site perhaps worth checking out; a massive archive. :-bd

Cool.
    Yes lots of photos, behind the scenes. It's well organized. :)
    very nice indeed!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I have taken a little look. Will check out more later, but terrific job @Thunderball007 . Congratulations.
    Thanks, @Birdleson. I don't want this thread to be completely dormant forever.
    I simply am pulled in too many directions in life now. I'm more than happy for other Originals to chime in any time, with any topic. This thead has been a haven for older, long time fans (due to SirHenry) and is well worth reading older posts (including all the fantastic reviews we did).

For me, DAF was my first film, seen in the theatre. You got there before me, Birdleson. But I dove into the novels at the same time and immersed myself fully into that superb world of Bond that I discovered.

We had a new Bond film approximately every 2 years for awhile. We had promos about it that seem to truly minuscule compared to now. I was always excited to see a trailer because that was pretty much all we got, plus a few articles here and there. But Bond influence was everywhere in TV and other films when I was a child and teen. My 20's were with Roger, and I enjoyed his Bond very much indeed. By then I was so into Fleming I could criticize things here and there - but still loving the series.

The eagerness, the NOT knowing what was coming up, the sheer build up of anticipation for the next Bond adventure was a pattern that I thrilled to. Yes, I appreciate having more information so readily available via the internet these days. I do. But I try to use that judiciously ... because I don't want to lose the steady pace of anticipation, and even more importantly the ability to sit down in that darkened theatre and wait for the opening scene, gun barrel or no, to Bond. James Bond. My Bond that has been part of my life for so long.

I'm off many threads now but still stick with the forum, if I can without being spoiled for Bond 25, till about 3 months before its release. Worked for Skyfall and Spectre. I was able to view them without knowing what was coming up, not even knowing what would next explode (!), so I shall do my best to keep that for me. It's quite worth it. B-)
    Seirously? I do not remember that. I'll have to go back many pages for that.
  • Going back into the history of this thread may not be a bad exercise actually.... Sir Henry awaits our attention even now!
    On just the previous page (#216) I have listed the page #s to find SirHenry's excellent, thought provoking, very articulate reviews of Bond films. Chock full of great info in his "trivia notes". :)

I would like to hear from Originals (well, and everybody else, too) on how they are keeping spoilers away from themselves regarding Bond 25. Or not, if they prefer to be spoiled. ;) I really am trying to keep news to a minimum for myself as I want the experience again of seeing the next Bond film unfold before my eyes in the theatre without knowing much at all ahead of time.

So ... please chime in, everyone. B-) What are your plans to keep Bond 25 fresh and unspoiled for you?
    Oh for now I'm ignoring 75% of the forum and never read anything in the news that has 'Bond' in the title. Even in the nineties everything you found about Bond was exciting, little titbits. We didn't have the films on VHS, it was only half way throught the zeroes I got the DVD collection complete. So I've not been able to keep out at least one of the shooting locales, because it's been in news titles, but that's all I know and already more than whaat I want to know.

Right you are, @CommanderRoss. I get it.
    Personally, I hope to not leave the forum until 2 or 3 months ahead of time (which worked for me before). But I need to stay off threads related to Bond 25. I don't mind knowing actors confirmed, or locations filmed (which can be in the Production thread title) but knowing what type of scene is being filmed is something I definitely want to avoid, for an example. When I see a location in the film, for example if it suddenly shows Canada (just an example, I don't expect Canada in Bond 25) ... I do NOT want to be connecting, even momentarily in my mind, 'Oh that's where such and such will happen'. I really want the story to unfold fresh for me.

We can do it, but it takes constant vigilance (which always reminds me of Harry Potter; I loved all those books).
    Birdleson wrote: »
    As soon as the filming starts I am going to attempt to avoid any threads with potential spoilers (while still attending to my moderating duties, as best as I can). The less I know the better. Title will suffice.

As I've said elsewhere, my disappointment with SP, followed by the delays, the hiccups and the news that Swann will return (and that the story arc will continue), have greatly dampened my enthusiasm for B25. Maybe that's for the best; low expectations. Obviously, I hope it's the best Bond film yet, but I'm not feeling too keen right now.

And that's exactly the problem and why I try to learn as less as possible. You're already influenced by the little titbits that came out. In the end it shouldn't make a difference if the story continues, as long as we get a good film.
    All I'm hoping for is a consitent film that's at least a bit intelligent and has some proper thrills in it. QoS still is my favorite of this era exactly because of that. Sadly, it has a few glaring holes made all the bigger by the shortness of the film. Still, it's more a Bond-story than SP if you ask me.
    Even if you moderate what you look at here, it's hard not to have some other piece of news forced upon you elsewhere in the internet era.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Birdleson wrote: »
    QOS is a Top Ten Bond film for me. It wasn’t at first, but I sure love it more with each viewing.

Glad to see you've come around, old chum! ;)