SirHenryLeeChaChing's For Original Fans - Favorite Moments In NTTD (spoilers)

Comments

• CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    I was amazed by how well it works as a cinematic experience. Fyeo left a completely different impression on the big screen than on a TV screen, even though I've probably only seen it a couple of hundred times on the small screen before seeing it in the cinema. I wonder if more films have this, especially older bonds. I don't find it so with CR In example. Or Sp
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited April 2019 Posts: 12,459
    Oh that's an interesting point - how we feel differently when seeing it in a theater.
    I think I enjoy every film more in the theater overall, sure. But is it altered when I see it on my smaller screen at home? I am unsure. I have to think that over.

Also, I want to ask everybody here: What is your favorite "escape" Bond film, your go-to film as a comfort or just relaxing change of pace. Especially with current politics (not for this thread, please) and with the build up to Bond 25 (yes, let's chat on that but no spoilers).

When I start my Bondathon of the films, I will probably do it twice. One starting this month, I think.

But when I need a fun or interesting film to refresh my mind or give a necessary diversion, I often go to:

TSWLM
    FYEO
    SF (I will always find it inspiring)
    FRWL
    CR (but realizing now, I often don't watch it all the way through; just fave bits)

And also The Italian Job, with Michael Caine. I love Caine. ;)
    Oh and Inception - I really enjoy that one. I haven't seen all of Nolan, but I like this one very much indeed.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    My "escape" Bond is and always has been the first one I ever saw, in the theatre, first run: Diamonds Are Forever.
    OK well apparently that is NOT happening with Bond 25. Any changes that are definite in that area I will PM you, @Birdleson. I think absolutely nobody on here wants that.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    The very, very, very few things I have noticed that seem to be common knowledge, for the most part, don't have me remotely intrigued or excited, but yes, the one thing that would completely kill any possibility of enjoyment for me would be hearing that Bond is killed off. No thanks, I wouldn't even bother if that was the direction they took.
    @Creasy47 yeah, that would keep me (and MANY) out of the theatre, and I'd never buy the Blu Ray. I think they know this. I hope they do...
    I'm trying to decide how to do my Bondathon for the films. I usually go in chronological order. I am considering doing it differently. Any suggestions?
    Chronological (and skip MR). ;)
    OK in order of the novels is good. :)

Also thinking by actor's eras but not all their 1st ones in a row - that's interesting; I may go for that (that gets Laz done and out of the way, too).

I was also thinking of alternating lighth with dark ... CR then TSWLM ... FRWL then GE ... kind of like that.
    Interesting. I just read Colonel Sun for the first time this year, too. It was good.
  • Back in the day I ignored Colonel Sun because it just seemed wrong to me that M should get kidnapped at all. At the time I thought that M should always be safe in his leather-lined, book-filled office. Okay, occasionally he could have a night out playing cards and drinking his nasty plonk at Blades. My, how times have changed...
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Back in the day I ignored Colonel Sun because it just seemed wrong to me that M should get kidnapped at all. At the time I thought that M should always be safe in his leather-lined, book-filled office. Okay, occasionally he could have a night out playing cards and drinking his nasty plonk at Blades. My, how times have changed...

For me that was what made col sun difficult to read. I couldn't believe the head of mi6 wasn't secured enough. I like the book but this just makes it 'not good enough'. I don't think Fleming would ever have done that. It's too much 'literature' and not enough 'could be real'.

My go-to escape is qos.
    I had never heard of the novel Colonel Sun until recently. I did not follow, read about, or consider continuation novels at all until ... about 2008 or so, I think. I read maybe two of Gardner's but cannot remember the titles. Just okay, I guess. I read Devil May Care when it came out; just okay, not too bad. But my interest in continuation stories is still very low, to be honest. I did enjoy Colonel Sun for the most part. I felt it was at least well written and atmospheric.
    That it was, but the plot was just... Wrong. Devil may care is abysmal if you ask me. Try trigger mortis though. Not Fleming of course but it works and like the films it's fun to discover a new adventure.
    No, I didn't like what I heard about Trigger Mortis. Devil May Care is so vague in my memory. I guess it had moments that were okay. I probably won't be reading any continuation novels unless there comes along one that members here rave about. Thanks, though. I read Colonel Sun because it kept getting mentioned on this forum, and most seemed to like it.
  • I like Col Sun well enough I suppose. Read the first few of Gardner's novels and they didn't really hit the nail on the head for me... I think the problem is that they're written as mystery novels, not as thrillers. Bond isn't a detective, he's an action hero. His books should be written to be read as thrillers. There's a subtle but important difference. Trigger Mortis was pretty good from my viewpoint, your mileage of course may vary.
    Just to say if you want to avoid spoilers, do avoid the Daily Mail. It's got an article being passed around on twitter now, and has spoilers in it. I fortunately was able to stop reading when I started to scan it and it read "one of the plots ..."
    They are rumored plots, not confirmed, but still - same for production thread here. I left like I had stuck my hand in scalding water. ;)
    I'm very picky when it comes to literary Bond. For years I;d even deny there wer continuation novels. I've red DMC (dreadful) Carte Blanche (terrible) Col. Sun (mwah, entertaining but fundamentally flawed) and Trigger Mortis (interesting). Bought the lates one but it's at my friends' place (already for 6 months) and haven't gotten around to picking it up. It comes with The Diamond Smugglers and Thrilling Cities, the two IF titles I haven't read yet.
    Thanks, @CommanderRoss. Yes, I have avoided continuation novels.
    I'm going to start my novel bondathon with the thread on this forum, currently at YOLT - which I thought I owned, but I don't. So after ordering it, I should be able to be reading within a week. I have not read it in years, really. I look forward to that one.

And here is some handy info I just saw on twitter. NOT spoilers, just showing how some fans need to relax about the release date and start of filming dates. So Bond 25 should be fine for next year at this time. B-)
    OK, I just had a (potentially) fun idea for us here.
    How about this - Replace a Bond scene/moment, by putting a scene into a different location (connected to another actual scene).
    Can you picture that? I did and found it a little amusing. Weird, I know ... and it allows thought to how the scene could play out (merging different films). But give it a try. ;)

Such as:

* Bond kicking Locque's car over the Golden Gate bridge.
    * Magda elegantly stepping off a railing and unwinding via her long scarf to land in in Bond's amphibious Bondola/gondola.

I think I get what you mean: something like Necros falling out of the airplane, only to safely land inside of the funhouse from MR's PTS?
    Exactly. ;) Love that!
    Just mixing scenes for pure amusement.
    Passing the time safely with no spoilers here.
    Exactly, I wish we could return to having the installments released in some consistent fashion or another. Waiting four or five years is upsetting, especially when one isn't enjoying what's being released.
    edited April 2019 Posts: 17,691
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Exactly, I wish we could return to having the installments released in some consistent fashion or another. Waiting four or five years is upsetting, especially when one isn't enjoying what's being released.

Yes. I liked SP, but not everyone did. I disliked SF, but most did. And I (and YOU) have aged SEVEN YEARS since SF. How many more movies can we expect before we (live to) die (another day)? Is two years between movie all that much to ask???
    Well, @Birdleson, I had no idea you felt that strongly.
    I'm almost at complete other end of spectrum to you. Sure, I'd like the film out a few months earlier as we first expected. But I don't mind it being a few months later - not with this director and writers. It seems to be EON is putting in a good effort to make a really good Bond film. I'm quite relieved Boyle left/was given the heave-ho. If most of your frustration is with the long gap between films, I understand that. I'm just not on the same level of frustration as you and many other members.

I don't think the old 2 year gap between Bond films is feasible these days, and I would be completely fine with 3. Some inevitably are going to take longer, and the "norm" of 2 or even 3 year gaps may be gone. This one is 4 1/2 years longer (go ahead and correct me, I'm not counting months exactly) and sure, that is too long. But that's where we are, and at this point I'm not feeling anger, fed up, or chafing about it. I know many members are, though. If I could have a gap of only 3 years consistently, I'd be very satisfied with that.

I love Skyfall; then and now. Spectre was okay and I enjoyed it for the most part. Not upset about it, but not excited in retrospect, either. Somewhat disappointed overall. I did like it when I saw it in the theater, but I've never had any inclination to watch it again, and that says something. I cannot think of any standout scenes for me, though the PTS was good, I was happy to see Monica, I liked Lea okay. But not the kind of Bond film I wanted to "live through" again. I do prefer Skyfall and watch it a couple of times a year. I'm looking forward to Bond 25 so very much, especially as it will round off Craig's tenure (one I really like) and again because it has Cary as director. I have not been this excited about a Bond director in ages.

I do like coming here for fun threads such as the Guess the Character one, caption contents, and discussions of older films and the novels. One big reason I am on this forum is to find something to enjoy, relax with, have fun with until Bond 25 comes out.

• MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    edited April 2019 Posts: 3,347
    That twitter post showing all the Bond production times should give you a quantum of solace that maybe someday we can return to 2-3 year gaps between films.

If the start of filming to release date is consistently under a year, it shouldn't take more than 12-24 months to write a script, get the cast, and scout locations. The production teams are so large anymore that they should have an army of people able to divide and conquer to finish a product in 2-3 years.

My thoughts are that the gap in delays are largely due to the players in each film and aligning their schedule (something that can usually be alleviated with a new Bond actor) and the top decision makers keeping everything so close to the vest to avoid leaks that they put too much work on a few people.

Oh and I'll take a crack at @4EverBonded 's scenario mashup:
    - The tycoon on Zorin's blimp slides down the false steps into the hot tub with Tiger Tanaka and his girls (Anyone else want to drop out??)
    - Magda twirling off the balcony while smiling into Blofeld's piranha pool
    - Bond dressing up as a clown and exiting the costume trailer to get on stage at the opera in QoS
    Thanks, @MooseWithFleas. Yeah, I think the 2 year gap probably won't be happening again. But 3 years seems possible, and that's what I hope for in the future. Next one with a new Bond ... so here's hoping the right man comes along SOON, gets on EON's radar.

And your scene mashup ideas are great! I especially like Moore's Bond dressed as a clown ending up on the opera stage. ;)
    Thanks, @MooseWithFleas. Yeah, I think the 2 year gap probably won't be happening again. But 3 years seems possible, and that's what I hope for in the future. Next one with a new Bond ... so here's hoping the right man comes along SOON, gets on EON's radar.

And your scene mashup ideas are great! I especially like Moore's Bond dressed as a clown ending up on the opera stage. ;)

That definately got me smiling!

I'd love them to go back to 2-3 year gaps, but at the same time they hve a high level of quality to aspire to. It's the one and only consistent frenchise that's been making films that ended up in cinema's, and that's an increadable feat. SO I'l bide m time, even though it takes longer than we would wish for.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Gosh.
    Yes, I definitely won't opt to pay for something I vehemently disagree with and have no interest in. I'll see it eventually, but I can wait for a blu-ray release if it's not what I'm after.