Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    edited March 2019 Posts: 2,541
    Both Elba and Patel are good Actors but not for bond.
  • NS_writingsNS_writings Buenos Aires
    I can't take anybody seriously who'd think Elba would make a great Bond. Or any of those other suggestions like Dev Patel and all that jazz.

Well, in my case...
    (a) I can't take anybody seriously who'd think Elba would make a great Bond
    (b) I can't take anybody seriously who wishes Elba to be the next Bond (even if they were Barbara Broccoli's housemaid!)
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    bondsum wrote: »
    Here you go @suavejmf. Enjoy...

Wow! Thanks for posting that. i will definitely be watching this soon.

It's such a crime that Charles Dance has never been in bond film. Great actor imo.

Z02.jpg
    It's a crime that Charles Dance has been that man in FYEO. Could you imagine Dance playing an agent in either the Dalton era or the Brosnan era that would channel Fleming's Bond as a filler, while the respective Bond actors maintain their mannerisms in their respective characters? Would've loved to see Dance as another 00. One who is an ally to Bond's and just as effective as a secret agent.
    That would be great! Could see him play a Mr. White type of character as well.
    He would've made a great oversight leader to that of Spectre. A position higher than Blofeld's.
    Ludovico wrote: »
    TR007 wrote: »
    Did anyone catch Elba on SNL last night? There was a gag about him playing Bond in it. He really comes across as utterly desperate for attention.

It's getting old now. When it comes to Bond, Idris Elba is today's Julian McMahon.

Casual movie goers and fans probably still think it's a done deal that he's taking over from Craig.

Just movie goers. What I understand for "a Bond fan" will never take that for granted.

Well said.

It's such a crime that Charles Dance has never been in bond film. Great actor imo.

Z02.jpg
    It's a crime that Charles Dance has been that man in FYEO. Could you imagine Dance playing an agent in either the Dalton era or the Brosnan era that would channel Fleming's Bond as a filler, while the respective Bond actors maintain their mannerisms in their respective characters? Would've loved to see Dance as another 00. One who is an ally to Bond's and just as effective as a secret agent.
    He would've made a great oversight leader to that of Spectre. A position higher than Blofeld's.

Indeed! Also, you wouldn't dare get on the wrong side with a guy with this stare!

Ghostbusters-Reboot-Cast-Charles-Dance.jpg
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

Z02.jpg

What the hell... How exactly did he not get to play the major role is beyond me. Is it really him?
    It's him alright!!

Yeah I saw still hard to believe. I read somewhere that Gerard Butler was in tomorrow Never Dies as well

He is, he has a split second appearance in a speaking role as one of the men on the HMS Devonshire.

Z02.jpg

Indeed! Also, you wouldn't dare get on the wrong side with a guy with this stare!

Absolutely terrific!
    I thought Charles Dance was great as Ian Fleming.
    He was. The best portrayal of Fleming in spite of the poor production values and the badly written scripts.
    He was. The best portrayal of Fleming in spite of the poor production values and the badly written scripts.

Wish I still had my original taping, hosted by Lazenby. Had a more Bondian title sequence.

Z02.jpg

Absolutely terrific!

Another thing that's absolutely terrific (or hilarious), is Charles Dance's returning segment on The Big Fat Quiz of the Year – reading various pieces of literature :))

(Sorry for going off topic, but Charles Dance is worth it!)
  • DrClatterhandDrClatterhand United Kingdom
    EoN have a Herculean task in replacing Craig. He's redefined Bond and owns the role. Aidan Turner and all those mentioned just don't have an ounce of his presence or gravitas. They've dug themselves a hole and are victims of their own success. I really can't think of a single actor that could play Bond as well as Craig has. He's surpassed even Connery. Probably best to sell up and give someone else this quandary.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Z02.jpg

What the hell... How exactly did he not get to play the major role is beyond me. Is it really him?
    It's him alright!!

Yeah I saw still hard to believe. I read somewhere that Gerard Butler was in tomorrow Never Dies as well

He is, he has a split second appearance in a speaking role as one of the men on the HMS Devonshire.

Here it is
    images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcSZM_gtT1YDe6sIfRycBoaC46SsZuZdXmriKDtL73DFkPfxziSk

Wish I still had my original taping, hosted by Lazenby. Had a more Bondian title sequence.

He truly was
    images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcQl-PBnVdeqWQ9x7VYAiT2AQD358WEHnXOQk005Mr5leWLheejq

Although I also liked Dominic performance as well and not to mention sexy Lara pulver
    images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcTve3nNVIgs3_uGgNx_8Bg4AV0dohuYdBoR608vb5Fw5-l-F_o9

I140128_122701_349380oTextCS_55331886.jpg

Sorry to go off topic but couldn't resist.
    Shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife, @Resurrection. In this case, my wife. :))
    Shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife, @Resurrection. In this case, my wife. :))

Yeah right
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Why not have Dance return as a villain/another henchman? It's happened many times in the series before, and it's not like audiences today would say "Isn't he the same henchman from FYEO?" over "Isn't he the bad guy from Game of Thrones?" It'd be entirely plausible.
    Having Dance in bond25 would be a dream come true.
  • edited March 2019 Posts: 17,280
    Why not have Dance return as a villain/another henchman? It's happened many times in the series before, and it's not like audiences today would say "Isn't he the same henchman from FYEO?" over "Isn't he the bad guy from Game of Thrones?" It'd be entirely plausible.

Exactly. Couldn't do better than having him in a Bond film (again) – if they have a role suitable for him. He's a joy to watch in any role.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea

Exactly. Couldn't do better than having him in a Bond film (again) – if they have a role suitable for him. He's a joy to watch in any role.

Now there's a ticket to a classic world-conquering villain!

Now there's a ticket to a classic world-conquering villain!

Indeed!

I would have loved it before, either as a villain or as M, but now he is getting a bit old.
  • My own top choices for the next James Bond:

- Jim Caviezel

- Henry Cavill

- Jon Hamm

- Clive Owen

- Adam Rayner
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited March 2019 Posts: 5,869
    My own top choices for the next James Bond
    Hmmm okay... so Jim Caviezel and Jon Hamm are American and too old. Clive Owen is actually older than Craig, so that would make no sense. Henry Cavill would've been an interesting choice, but with the DC Universe and now The Witcher, not gonna happen. As for Adam Rayner - possible - but I personally think he's too 'television' and will be mid-40s by the time the film is actually made, so may not be on their radar.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    Henry Cavill
    Cillian Murphy
    Tom Hiddleston
    Michael Fassbender

Any of those and I’m happy
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    EoN have a Herculean task in replacing Craig. He's redefined Bond and owns the role. Aidan Turner and all those mentioned just don't have an ounce of his presence or gravitas. They've dug themselves a hole and are victims of their own success. I really can't think of a single actor that could play Bond as well as Craig has. He's surpassed even Connery. Probably best to sell up and give someone else this quandary.

I want what you're smoking. Lots of it.
    Craig is a very good Bond @DrClatterhand, but he hasn’t quite reached the same heights as Connery’s Commander Bond. I’m still waiting for Craig’s 007 to be sent on a proper mission that’s not a personal vendetta and without his Scooby Gang in tow. This “gravitas and presence” you talk of seems to have alluded Craig in non-Bond movies, unlike Connery, who went from strength to strength, even winning an Oscar for The Untouchables. To say that an actor is irreplaceable is rather defeatist, don’t you think? Who knows, ten years from now new fans could be saying exactly the same thing about Aiden Turner in the role.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    My own top choices for the next James Bond:

- Jim Caviezel

- Henry Cavill

- Jon Hamm

- Clive Owen

- Adam Rayner

- Jim Caviezel - No Americans can be considered.

- Henry Cavill - Not a bad call. But too famous and expensive now.

- Jon Hamm - No Americans can be considered.

- Clive Owen - Too old. Times moved on.

- Adam Rayner - Can't comment. I don't know who he is I'm afraid.
    Henry Cavill - Cillian Murphy
    Tom Hiddleston
    Michael Fassbender

Any of those and I’m happy

Henry Cavill - Not a bad call. But too famous and expensive now.
    Cillian Murphy - Too small and odd looking.
    Tom Hiddleston - Good call.
    Michael Fassbender - Good call.
    edited March 2019 Posts: 5,131
    Craig is a very good Bond @DrClatterhand, but he hasn’t quite reached the same heights as Connery’s Commander Bond. I’m still waiting for Craig’s 007 to be sent on a proper mission that’s not a personal vendetta and without his Scooby Gang in tow. This “gravitas and presence” you talk of seems to have alluded Craig in non-Bond movies, unlike Connery, who went from strength to strength, even winning an Oscar for The Untouchables. To say that an actor is irreplaceable is rather defeatist, don’t you think? Who knows, ten years from now new fans could be saying exactly the same thing about Aiden Turner in the role.

Craig is a very good Bond @DrClatterhand, but he hasn’t quite reached the same heights as Connery’s Commander Bond. Nobody ever will either.

What Connery offered in his seven-film tenure (counting the non-canon Never Say Never Again) is a near-perfect balance between all subsequent imperfections and a command of the role that prompted either substandard impressions or a significantly different approach so as not to overlap with Connery’s sizable footprints – footprints deep enough to scare off Burt Reynolds, Clint Eastwood and Timothy Dalton.

This isn’t to say that Connery’s successors don’t have their rightful admirers, but can a convincing case be made for any of them as the best Bond, the Form from which all other performances can be judged?

No. Connery, lest we forget, was deemed so integral to the role that he was brought back in the wake of Lazenby’s failure, returning to a desperate paycheck of £1.25m (about £17.2m today). In Diamonds Are Forever, amongst all the camp, a bruised, weathered and even jaded Bond was ready to do his duty and call it a career. The film was a hit. The faltering franchise was saved.

Yet it could have all been so different. “An overgrown stunt man” was the assessment from Ian Fleming upon first seeing Connery standing two inches taller than the eponymous character and delivering lines with that singular Edinburgh accent. His mind was changed after one film, and having watched Dr. No, Bond was retconned to have Scottish ancestry. Not only did Connery define Bond on screen, he did so on the page too.

Really, when it comes down to James Bond it comes down to martinis, gambling, casual sexism, racial caricatures, and a figure who can pour himself into a tuxedo as easily as he can a martini. To hear “Bond, James Bond” is to hear it in the same voice as “do you expect me to die?” and as “Martini. Shaken, not stirred.” That voice is Sean Connery’s – the perfect Form, the first, the essential, the best.