Terminator: Dark Fate (2019)

Comments

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    First trailer for Terminator 6 expected in mid-April, just ahead of 'Avengers: Endgame' on the 26th of that month.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Not a bad title
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Uninspired, to say the least.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Generally the Terminator titles are underwhelming not including Judgement Day.

If the film is great it will enhance the name of the movie.
  • They should have called this Terminator Reboot.

It would be thematic resonance based on the lineage of the Terminator series - and it has an irreverent twist.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Isn’t Dark Fate still a working title?
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Cameron confirmed the title in an interview with Yahoo.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service

Yet another article ignoring the meaning of reboot.
  • Now here’s some good news:
    https://cosmicbook.news/arnold-bad-terminator-6

I’m guessing if Arnold is bad, and since this is a sequel to Judgment Day, a bad terminator is sent back to kill Sarah and John right after the events of part 2, and they just elude it for years (since Arnold is old)?
  • You know, I bet that’s exactly it, because I just remembered the set pics of Arnold with a beard. Reminds me of the first movie, remember how he lets himself go and starts to deteriorate from his unattended to bullet wounds (‘hey buddy, you got a dead cat in there or what?’). In T2, he had Sarah mend his wounds so that wouldn’t happen.

Perhaps the beard is from a similar reason- he’s just constantly hunting
    Seeing as Arnie is seemingly playing the bad guy again, I wonder if this T-800 has been pursuing Sarah and John since the mid 90s. It would explain the aging.

I'm also willing to bet that John Connor may not live through the first act. So we end up with the renewed prospect of Judgement Day, but this time there's no savior.

Might pave the way for Linda Hamilton to go into full-blown vengeance mode again.
  • edited February 2019 Posts: 1,661
    One of the things I disliked about The Force Awakens is how it ignored the specific ending of Return of the Jedi. The story jumped several decades ahead and there was no flashback to the final moments from Jedi. I mention this because I'm guessing the same is going to happen with T6. T6 is the 'official' sequel to T2 but if there's no flashback and we jump forward to a much older Sarah Connor and older Terminator it might seem a bit abrupt. Also, we've had three other Terminator films that Cameron has chosen to ignore: T3 - T5.

My guess is someone will do a fan edit when it comes out on Bluray and link T2 to T6 and put it online, but it would be nice if Cameron and Miller come up with some opening pre-credit scene that makes it feel a natural story progression from T2 to T6. Perhaps start Terminator: Dark Fate at the end of Terminator 2 with the demise of the T-1000.

I think there is a lot of pressure on T6 to deliver on plot. T5 was widely dismissed as a mess and T4 - which set up the world in the future - didn't get a sequel. Cameron really needs give us a strong, relatively simple storyline. That sounds like the obvious thing to do but film making can get screwed up! Just look at T5. This feels like the last chance to salvage the franchise.
    fanbond123 wrote: »
    One of the things I disliked about The Force Awakens is how it ignored the specific ending of Return of the Jedi. The story jumped several decades ahead and there was no flashback to the final moments from Jedi. I mention this because I'm guessing the same is going to happen with T6. T6 is the 'official' sequel to T2 but if there's no flashback and we jump forward to a much older Sarah Connor and older Terminator it might seem a bit abrupt. Also, we've had three other Terminator films that Cameron has chosen to ignore: T3 - T5.

My guess is someone will do a fan edit when it comes out on Bluray and link T2 to T6 and put it online, but it would be nice if Cameron and Miller come up with some opening pre-credit scene that makes it feel a natural story progression from T2 to T6. Perhaps start Terminator: Dark Fate at the end of Terminator 2 with the demise of the T-1000.

I think there is a lot of pressure on T6 to deliver on plot. T5 was widely dismissed as a mess and T4 - which set up the world in the future - didn't get a sequel. Cameron really needs give us a strong, relatively simple storyline. That sounds like the obvious thing to do but film making can get screwed up! Just look at T5. This feels like the last chance to salvage the franchise.

Agreed. Simplicity is key. GENISYS tripped itself up with multiple timelines and too many alternate realities in an attempt to use the previous films as a jumping off point for its own tangent. It made RISE OF THE MACHINES look like a piece of fine screenwriting by comparison.

Terminator works best as a sci-fi noir. Even T2, for all its amped up action in comparison with its predecessor, kept that aesthetic for the most part. It's why it's a good sequel.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Arnold Schwarzenegger confirms the budget of Terminator 6 is around $160 to $200 million.
    That´s quite cheap, considering. Or did he exclude his salary? I hope they won´t do all the effects with CGI.

By the way, was there any Explanation or conclusion to the Matt Smith character in GenIsys? Or is it just too Long ago that I saw that movie?
    boldfinger wrote: »
    That´s quite cheap, considering. Or did he exclude his salary? I hope they won´t do all the effects with CGI.

By the way, was there any Explanation or conclusion to the Matt Smith character in GenIsys? Or is it just too Long ago that I saw that movie?

None at all. It was left open ended.
    edited March 2019 Posts: 15,686
    I wonder if Terminator 6 can be a sleeper hit, if the film is good enough (judging from the talent behind and in front of the camera, there's a chance the quality will be there). October only has a handful of sizeable-to-big budget flicks (Joker, Gemini Man and Zombieland 2), and November seems calm too (Terminator 6, Midway and Frozen 2). It's only in December where things will heat up (Jumanji 3 and Star Wars 9).
    Arnold Schwarzenegger's full comments on Terminator: Dark Fate :

''The director, Tim Miller, was very, very talented and I can see why his movie, Deadpool, made so much money and why it was successful because he’s very organized. He’s an expert with visual effects and special effects and with stunts. He felt very comfortable directing all the actors, the young and the older ones. He was a pleasure to work with.

It was a very interesting film to do with Tim, the dynamic, between him and with Jim Cameron producing. So Jim Cameron is right now directing Avatar films so he’s taken on this enormous challenge and he’s very busy with that BUT he’s a control freak and as you know, Terminator is kind of his baby so he does get involved in the filming so there were interesting discussions about which direction to go with a certain scene or how the dialogue should finish or what the certain look should be of an individual and all that stuff so there was a big collaboration between Jim and Tim Miller. I feel it was in good hands with both of them.

David Ellison was the producer, he’s of course a very young and ambitious guy who raised the money for the movie, which is important. The budget was somewhere between 160 million and 200 million dollars. I couldn’t tell you exactly because the movie isn’t finished yet. It’s still being worked on. Visual effects are being done now. I’ve seen 15 minutes and it looked great and I was very excited about it.

Well, I’m reluctant to say anything about Terminator 6 other than we’ve successfully completed filming of it in Budapest. I was filming there for three months. I had a wonderful time and it was a fantastic city to shoot with great tax credits. 36 percent you get back for every dollar that you spent over there.

That’s all I really can tell you because if I say more about it, than the studio usually goes crazy and they call me and they go crazy and they say ‘Why did you give this away? We wanted to announce this on March 31st or something.’ So anyways, I let them makes those decisions.”''
    Arnold Schwarzenegger's full comments on Terminator: Dark Fate :

''The director, Tim Miller, was very, very talented and I can see why his movie, Deadpool, made so much money and why it was successful because he’s very organized. He’s an expert with visual effects and special effects and with stunts. He felt very comfortable directing all the actors, the young and the older ones. He was a pleasure to work with.

It was a very interesting film to do with Tim, the dynamic, between him and with Jim Cameron producing. So Jim Cameron is right now directing Avatar films so he’s taken on this enormous challenge and he’s very busy with that BUT he’s a control freak and as you know, Terminator is kind of his baby so he does get involved in the filming so there were interesting discussions about which direction to go with a certain scene or how the dialogue should finish or what the certain look should be of an individual and all that stuff so there was a big collaboration between Jim and Tim Miller. I feel it was in good hands with both of them.

David Ellison was the producer, he’s of course a very young and ambitious guy who raised the money for the movie, which is important. The budget was somewhere between 160 million and 200 million dollars. I couldn’t tell you exactly because the movie isn’t finished yet. It’s still being worked on. Visual effects are being done now. I’ve seen 15 minutes and it looked great and I was very excited about it.

Well, I’m reluctant to say anything about Terminator 6 other than we’ve successfully completed filming of it in Budapest. I was filming there for three months. I had a wonderful time and it was a fantastic city to shoot with great tax credits. 36 percent you get back for every dollar that you spent over there.

That’s all I really can tell you because if I say more about it, than the studio usually goes crazy and they call me and they go crazy and they say ‘Why did you give this away? We wanted to announce this on March 31st or something.’ So anyways, I let them makes those decisions.”''

Ever the subtle politician, Arnie.
    He´s such a great Business man. Talks as if he´s Standing in front of a shareholder Committee. Vic Armstrong describes in his book how Arnie already very early on knew his way around the Business like a true pro, while Always being courteous.
    Arnie as a bad terminator? Oh, yes.

T1 is my favorite because he's playing a bad guy and the movie is more of a thriller. T2 was a good sequel with Arnold playing to his strengths as a good guy action hero.

But boy, was he a menacing threat in the first terminator.
    Junkie XL (Mad Max: Fury Road) will compose the soundtrack for Terminator: Dark Fate.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/terminator-dark-fate-lands-composer-junkie-xl-1196327
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    At least the soundtrack should be fantastic, can't speak to the rest of the film but we'll see.
    Terminator: Prequel to a Reboot
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    This will flop, and big time.
    JamesCraig wrote: »
    This will flop, and big time.

why do you say that
    It's just this feeling I have.

Indeed, a prequel to a reboot... Of course, it's a good thing that it ignores everything after T2 but...
    I feel it's going to fail merely because it's a reactionary film. It's being made more because Genisys failed and Cameron got the rights back more than because anyone wants to make it. Reactionary films don't work.
    Oh yeah that too.

But I haven't seen Genisys. Is it any good?