No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

It is an interesting question - I think a lot of it depends on who Lupita was meant to play. I could see her as an agent but less so a love interest for Bond; I'm not sure why. I see that she's 36, but assumed she was younger.

Saldana is a good shout - there again though, what's the role?

At the moment it feels crowded with all these roles being cast, and I suppose it's easy to overthink them. I remember when the calls were going out for SF, and Patrice was being cast. A lot of us hemmed and hawed. As it turned out, that was a fairly quick, non-speaking role, and ultimately the actor playing it needed to be competent but not terribly memorable.

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited March 2019 Posts: 15,423
    Both Zoe Saldana and Ruth Negga would be terrific. I wasn't too thrilled about Lupita. Nothing against her in the slightest. She's an alright actress, but not exactly suited for a Bond Girl role. I just don't want a Mayday 2.0 type Bond girl provided that's what they were going for, of course.

Saldana echoing some of her The Losers and Colombiana roles, or a blend of mixture between two of the characters she played in these two films would be perfect.

I've seen Ruth Negga in Agents of SHIELD and she was nothing short of brilliant in there.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Gadot is just astonishing. She can do also a lot of physical stuff. In that comic book masterpiece called Batman v Superman she already looked like a Bond girl.

XeFm.gif

GL1S.gif
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Yes, she did!

The question is, however: Will she star in a Bond film? Would she want to?
    Yes, she did!

The question is, however: Will she star in a Bond film? Would she want to?

I think the answer is no. Too linked with Wonder Woman I guess.
    Here's the thing: nobody has any idea who would he suitable for any role unless they've read the script.
    FourDot wrote: »
    Here's the thing: nobody has any idea who would he suitable for any role unless they've read the script.

Same thing regarding the title.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    FourDot wrote: »

Agreed. Though, as I mentioned a page or so back, whoever is rumoured for the part next will give an indication of some aspects of the character.
    Deadline Update: Lupita Nyong’o will not appear in Bond 25
    https://deadline.com/2019/02/lupita-nyongo-bond-girl-shortlist-rami-malek-villain-james-bond-25-daniel-craig-1202567458/

tenor.gif?itemid=13147541

This is a shame. What do Eon do now? Can we get Tessa Thompson instead?

Disappointing, but it's not like there are no talented and beautiful actresses out there.

Now Malik I still don't see it. But I'm willing to give him a chance as it seems to be a done deal. At least with his Egyptian background he looks properly foreign. Just too young and not menacing enough for my taste.
    Malek can be super creepy, but at the same time extremely suave. I'm super excited about his casting.
    ColonelSun wrote: »
    bondbat007 wrote: »
    I don't get how people don't think "Property of a Lady" isn't a great Bond title. If it had been the title of Dalton's 3rd film as rumored, nobody would have bat an eye. I think if a future film has a female villain it would be the perfect title but I certainly think it will be used one day at least.

I do like POAL as a title, but I fear it sounds too tame, and too much like a period drama for wider international audiences, for it ever to be used now. I do recall, as we were wrapping up LTK post, there was a list of potential titles being discussed in the production office, and (as the editing team) we were asked our opinions, and at the time, "Shaken Not Stirred" (which I didn't personally like) was being mooted for Dalton's potential 3rd film, but I never heard POAL mentioned.

Interesting though I feel Shaken not stirred is too fan filmy as a title the same is true for Shamelady

I still feel if the film in 91 had come out they would of used a Fleming short story title as Licence to Kill was the first “bomb” at the box office and so they probably would of wanted to go back to Fleming... but Ted Turner destroyed that which since the script was kind of bad I am thankful that as it means Dalton tenure is perfect... not unlike what happened to Craig

To bring it full circle while I don’t know what title will be used I feel going back to a short story title similar to Craig’s first two (and in my opinion better) films would send a clear message they are going back to Fleming for this one....but one thing I will say and this is somewhat of a guess but I will be bold about it

We will know the title of the film before the end of this month kind of exciting when you think about it
    Risico007 wrote: »
    I don't get how people don't think "Property of a Lady" isn't a great Bond title. If it had been the title of Dalton's 3rd film as rumored, nobody would have bat an eye. I think if a future film has a female villain it would be the perfect title but I certainly think it will be used one day at least.

I do like POAL as a title, but I fear it sounds too tame, and too much like a period drama for wider international audiences, for it ever to be used now. I do recall, as we were wrapping up LTK post, there was a list of potential titles being discussed in the production office, and (as the editing team) we were asked our opinions, and at the time, "Shaken Not Stirred" (which I didn't personally like) was being mooted for Dalton's potential 3rd film, but I never heard POAL mentioned.

Interesting though I feel Shaken not stirred is too fan filmy as a title the same is true for Shamelady

I still feel if the film in 91 had come out they would of used a Fleming short story title as Licence to Kill was the first “bomb” at the box office and so they probably would of wanted to go back to Fleming... but Ted Turner destroyed that which since the script was kind of bad I am thankful that as it means Dalton tenure is perfect... not unlike what happened to Craig

To bring it full circle while I don’t know what title will be used I feel going back to a short story title similar to Craig’s first two (and in my opinion better) films would send a clear message they are going back to Fleming for this one....but one thing I will say and this is somewhat of a guess but I will be bold about it

We will know the title of the film before the end of this month kind of exciting when you think about it

I feel the same about Shaken not Stirred. Although I must say this, apart from The Death Collector and The Garden of Death, none of the remaining Fleming titles work for me (and I'm quite the Fleming purist). But what they have to understand is that it's actually very easy, if you're the creative type - like Fukunaga is - to come up with a phonetically and logically similar title to the ones Fleming created. He used proverbs and known expressions and twisted them, for example. How hard can that be?
  • edited March 2019 Posts: 9,770
    Univex wrote: »

I feel the same about Shaken not Stirred. Although I must say this, apart from The Death Collector and The Garden of Death, none of the remaining Fleming titles work for me (and I'm quite the Fleming purist). But what they have to understand is that it's actually very easy, if you're the creative type - like Fukunaga is - to come up with a phonetically and logically similar title to the ones Fleming created. He used proverbs and known expressions and twisted them, for example. How hard can that be?
    Tomorrow never dies and die another day for example...

No sorry Fleming is the way to go for me

I would take Shaken not stirred over any of the original titles the producers have come up with
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited March 2019 Posts: 4,441
    It is offical now: Bohemian Rhapsody beat Spectre at theDutch boxoffice as the new number 3 of biggest Dutch boxoffice between 2002 - 2019. The movie need 17 weeks to deliever this and stil running and high place in the list. Spectre been seen in in the cinema for 14 weeks.

Skyfall $25,100,238
    Bohemian Rhapsody $23,169,352
    Spectre $22,118,230
    Gooische vrouwen (Dutch movie) $21,517,364
    The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King $19,162,315
    Gooische vrouwen 2 (Dutch movie) $18,317,699

All those movies stay on number 1 in the year of release with those numbers.

Numbers of the 18th weak (who include Oscars) are not known yet, but i expect this weak (19th weak) or next weak will be the last one. Mabey the movie will beat Skyfall.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.

I would take Shaken not stirred over any of the original titles the producers have come up with
    Let's not forget Die Another Day was actually a phrase used by Fleming. He wrote it in a letter to his secretary.
    My personal guess for the title - I forgot who came up with it first on here - is still ALL THE TIME IN THE WORLD.
    QBranch wrote: »

Let's not forget Die Another Day was actually a phrase used by Fleming. He wrote it in a letter to his secretary.

Fleming probably wrote Kind regards or something to that effect in his letters. They don't make good Bond titles.
    Out of the ones mentioned, I like The Death Collector the most, however without context, it doesn't mean anything
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Fleming probably wrote Kind regards or something to that effect in his letters. They don't make good Bond titles.
    All a matter of opinion, of course. I don't see how 'DAD' is any worse than, say, 'LALD', 'AVTAK' etc.
    How about Ajak Deng, wasn't there a rumour she auditioned?

8bef646faf40e38818d5f96349230396.jpg
    Ludovico wrote: »
    All a matter of opinion, of course. I don't see how 'DAD' is any worse than, say, 'LALD', 'AVTAK' etc.

DAD is banal, almost telegraphic. Sounds like a generic action movie title. LALD and AVTAK are far more evocative. The Italian title for DAD, which was "Death can wait", was far better. It wouldn't hVe improved the movie, but it would have made for a great title.
  • TreefingersTreefingers Isthmus City, Republic of Isthmus
    Does anyone know what was the tittle (if it had one) of Haggis' draft for bond 22?
    antovolk wrote: »
    My personal guess for the title - I forgot who came up with it first on here - is still ALL THE TIME IN THE WORLD.

I'm leaning that way too, between this and Shatterhand.

the issue with All the time in the world is simply put do you have an original title song that doesn't have the title in the song or do you cover Louis Armstong's classic peice
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    How about Ajak Deng, wasn't there a rumour she auditioned?

8bef646faf40e38818d5f96349230396.jpg

Yes, she spoke about it in an interview with the Herald Sun back in November 2017:

Red_Snow wrote: »
    Screen test: Melbourne model Ajak Deng auditioned for Bond girl role
    http://www.heraldsun.com.au/entertainment/fiona-byrne/screen-test-melbourne-model-ajak-deng-auditioned-for-bond-girl-role/news-story/c3710751cacbe164818a7be5b48e4bec

MELBOURNE model Ajak Deng has had a Bond girl moment, revealing she went for a role in the yet-to-be-released new James Bond film.

The statuesque beauty, who made a whistlestop visit back to Australia from her New York base last week, revealed she tested for a role in the yet to be released new James Bond film.

“I am studying acting and have gone to castings for some amazing roles,” she said.

“I tested for one of the Bond girls for the new James Bond movie, but ... they told me I was too pretty for the role. It was so good just to have that experience.
    the issue with All the time in the world is simply put do you have an original title song that doesn't have the title in the song or do you cover Louis Armstong's classic peice

That's a great question.

I don't think they'd just cover it. A "new" Bond tune is a huge event for each new film, and even if they convinced a famous/popular current artist to cover it and it still charted well, it wouldn't have quite the uniqueness and lasting power an original would.

Also: Craig's era has established a majority precedent where film and song title needn't be related at all (due in part to the extremely literal, Bond-ish, 'proper noun' takes on his titles). So that's always an option to keep going.

Casino Royale - You Know My Name
    Quantum of Solace - Another Way to Die
    Skyfall - Skyfall (the only one that's the same)
    SPECTRE - Writing's on the Wall
    Shatterhand - All the Time in the World ? ;)
    M_Balje wrote: »
    It is offical now: Bohemian Rhapsody beat Spectre at theDutch boxoffice as the new number 3 of biggest Dutch boxoffice between 2002 - 2019. The movie need 17 weeks to deliever this and stil running and high place in the list. Spectre been seen in in the cinema for 14 weeks.

Skyfall $25,100,238
    Bohemian Rhapsody $23,169,352
    Spectre $22,118,230
    Gooische vrouwen (Dutch movie) $21,517,364
    The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King $19,162,315
    Gooische vrouwen 2 (Dutch movie) $18,317,699

All those movies stay on number 1 in the year of release with those numbers.

Numbers of the 18th weak (who include Oscars) are not known yet, but i expect this weak (19th weak) or next weak will be the last one. Mabey the movie will beat Skyfall.

Here in Italy BoRhap will become the second highest grossing non Italian (and no 3D) movie ever. Behind Titanic. By the end of its run will pass 900 millions worldwide, beating Spectre.

Now Malek is very popular thanks to the Queen movie, so another reason EoN is eager to get him.
    @antovolk made an interesting comment a few pages back. He posited that the recent news spate might get the trades hungry to do some digging.

The thing I find interesting is the news in Variety's report that screentests are being done with Crag in London. I wonder who these people are. I'd love to see the list of finalists for the Bond girl role.

Nonetheless, we have sadly lost one of our key four new cast members;

1. Rami Malek
    2. Billy Magnussen
    3. Lupita Nyong'o
    4. [Unknown Currently]

I'm really hoping Eon pull the same feat they did with Malek with Nyong'o. Remember, he wasn't going to be in Bond 25 until he was. Perhaps, Cary Fukunaga can work his magic. After all, he both him and Nyong'o seem close.

lupita-cary-instagram-16mar16-01.jpg

@antovolk made an interesting comment a few pages back. He posited that the recent news spate might get the trades hungry to do some digging.

The thing I find interesting is the news in Variety's report that screentests are being done with Crag in London. I wonder who these people are. I'd love to see the list of finalists for the Bond girl role.

Nonetheless, we have sadly lost one of our key four new cast members;

1. Rami Malek
    2. Billy Magnussen
    3. Lupita Nyong'o
    4. [Unknown Currently]

I'm really hoping Eon pull the same feat they did with Malek with Nyong'o. Remember, he wasn't going to be in Bond 25 until he was. Perhaps, Cary Fukunaga can work his magic. After all, he both him and Nyong'o seem close.

lupita-cary-instagram-16mar16-01.jpg

Uhm Malek was always in Bond 25 there was no back and forth
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    @Risico007 yeah I don't remember him not being in Bond 25.

Nothing against Lupita Nyong'o personally she seems like a fine actress and beautiful but I don't see her as a leading lady in a Bond film. I don't see it as much of a loss honestly, I would rather see an unknown actress with a point to prove than somebody established at this point