No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• edited February 2019 Posts: 5,767
    This thread is turning into serious Competition for Apocalypse Now :-)).

Which, by the way, turned out one of the greatest films ever, despite production nightmares that dwarf the wildest speculations on this thread.
    Denbigh wrote: »
    echo wrote: »
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Why are people against Fukunaga, at all?

I'm definitely not. I fully support him in his efforts to help deliver a great Bond film. I'm just worried with all the issues going on he might leave. I really hope he stays though.
    I really think he will stay and if he does, I think it'll speak volumes for Barbara and Michael. I was reading an article today about him leaving IT and how he hated the strict control the producers didn't want to let go of, which lead to his eventual firing/quitting.

It would really chuck out those rumours that people have that Barbara and Michael are difficult to work with, especially after all this Boyle kerfuffle.

What rumors? Couldn't it have been a two-way street?
    It definitely could've been, but there's a been a lot of talk from some of Barbara and Michael being hell-ish producers, when they're not at all.

I wonder if Greg Wilson isn't more responsible. He is in charge of the scripts I believe and I think has been for a while.
    You always go back to hearing how Cubby & Harry we’re very tough ruthless producers. The same can be said for Babs & Michael.

Maybe Sean was right?
  • CatchingBulletsCatchingBullets facebook.com/catchingbullets
    DarthDimi wrote: »

This.

THIS!

Yes! This is such a well-written piece of cinema science, it must be read by all, especially by those who feel that delays signal problems, no Bond film at all, a disaster waiting to happen and more.

@CatchingBullets, thank you! This was much needed. Not even the likes of @PanchitoPistoles or @Mendes4Lyfe can break the logic of this article. I will read it again, and again, and again in the next couple of days, weeks and months. I'll be sharing it with others.

Thank you Agent Dimi.

Some realities are never a bad thing in movie fandom. And some folk's reactions just boil down to their annoyance at having no tangible details. But because there are less revelations doesn't mean there is nothing to reveal.

No-one wants to make the next Bond film more than the people who already are.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited February 2019 Posts: 5,921
    Everyone knows about the rushed QoS and SP scripts, plus don't forget LTK.

On the flip side, it's interesting to me to think about the Bond scripts that underwent many, many drafts and massive changes. I believe that OHMSS, TSWLM, and GE fall into that category, and most of us would agree that those films turned out all right.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    echo wrote: »
    Everyone knows about the rushed QoS and SP scripts, plus don't forget LTK.

On the flip side, it's interesting to me to think about the Bond scripts that underwent many, many drafts and massive changes. I believe that OHMSS, TSWLM, and GE fall into that category, and most of us would agree that those films turned out all right.

Hell, FRWL went many problem whilst shooting and it's the best of the lot! Calm down chaps. Have a jaffa cake.
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    edited February 2019 Posts: 3,332
    Before CR there was a lot of doubt on the direction of the franchise, before SF there was a lot of doubt whether Bond would ever return because of MGM's financial troubles. Both ended up being huge critical successes. Maybe all this doubt and uncertainty will lead to another belter. At least that's what I keep telling myself...

I do worry that they are running out of time with Craig. There's only so long production can be pushed back due to script issues before they have to go with what they've got.

In the next two months, just get me a press conference date, initial 2nd unit production stills, anything at this point to confirm we are a go!
    Hope we get some positive official news soon as this thread has become very tired for a while now. Without doubt to another delay.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    The rhythm of the vocal reaction to Craig Bond films is reassuring, at least.

BOND 21: Best Bond film ever.
    BOND 22: Worst Bond film ever.
    BOND 23: Best Bond film ever.
    BOND 24: Worst Bond film ever.

BOND 25: Do the math.
    The rhythm of the vocal reaction to Craig Bond films is reassuring, at least.

BOND 21: Best Bond film ever.
    BOND 22: Worst Bond film ever.
    BOND 23: Best Bond film ever.
    BOND 24: Worst Bond film ever.

BOND 25: Do the math.

Maths... ;)
    As much as I love the title I feel bad Bond 22 been Risico instead and had better editing the film would of been beloved by more people again the two biggest complaints I have seen is they don’t get the title and the editing sucks.

But then I also feel Goldeneye is looked more highly upon because of the video game tie in then the actual film
  • QQ7QQ7 Croatia
    Risico007 wrote: »

But then I also feel Goldeneye is looked more highly upon because of the video game tie in then the actual film

Strongly disagree!
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Maths... ;)
    I'm American but I did consider expressing it as maths, @barryt007. Didn't think autocorrect would allow it, though.

@Risico, for changes opening with the gunbarrel is key. After that the film would be irristable.
    QQ7 wrote: »
    Risico007 wrote: »

Strongly disagree!

I am not saying every fan is like that but in a lot of YouTube reviews I always hear “and that game was so fun” it’s like great and I love the novel diamonds are forever but that doesn’t mean I like the movie...

Just like I am sure there are maybe fans who loved the title Quantum of Solace and are sad it was part of such a bad film
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Maths... ;)
    I'm American but I did consider expressing it as maths, @barryt007. Didn't think autocorrect would allow it, though.

@Risico, for changes opening with the gunbarrel is key. After that the film would be irristable.

I know,i was only joking with you,Richard he he .

• NS_writingsNS_writings Buenos Aires
    edited February 2019 Posts: 544
    I post very little here and after seeing the many attacks to EON on this thread I won't even reply the many negative comments I'll get in return (I have far serious problems in my life), but I will appeal to the freedom of speech The Home of James Bond has always had -which has reached the extent to allow a member to call James Bond a "ridiculous, pathetic, misogynist, racist, homophobic, Don Quijote-like figure"- to place here my thoughts about all this Bond 25 release date/script ordeal.

First of all, the day EON stops making James Bond films, Bond will simply cease to exist -at least as we know and love him. In the hands of Apple, Amazon, Disney or any of these corporations, all we are going to have is a bunch of "unofficial official" films à la CR'67 or NSNA, only that this time they'll be able to use the James Bond Theme, gunbarrel opening and 007 Gun Symbol Logo (TM). Get ready for spin-offs like Hugo Drax's rotten corpse jamming into the turbine of an X-Wing and that being the integral plot of the Lego-Bond-SW crossover to be released three weeks after Disney gets the Bond rights with a million fanboys in a t-shirt and short pants gasping in awe and applauding. At the same time, get ready for a black, Asian, transgender, extraterrestrial, female Bond now that EON has been cleared out of what they have been doing since 1962 (anyway, most of the anti-EON surely support these ideas). I don't know if MGW or BB may have even considered these cheap wishlists from tabloid columnists who win a lot more than you and me, but even if they did I know they display some kind of judgement and common sense to know this would be a gamble too far and end up rejecting these ideas: notably the "Kill Bond, Now!" Blofeld-esque idea by Danny Boyle. I'm really glad he left.

In the TSWLM chapter of The James Bond Archives (Taschen, 2012), it is revealed that Anthony Burgess' script or treatment for the film, penned by the end of 1974 when the film was set for a Spring 1975 release, wanted to have Bond and Henry Kissinger naked and a boxing kangaroo. Had Cubby not intervened, the film could have reached the release date but it would have flopped and the franchise would be dead and buried. So, I'm thankful for EON for being there and preventing every kind of madness that is now a funny anecdote. Okay, they made and allowed mistakes, but none as the rejected ideas I've seen. And if the delay is because of script polishing (I don't totally reject the idea that this both convenient for both Universal and EON, either) for me they could totally release the film in April or July or November.

On the other hand, I don't want to deal with the definition of what a Bond fan is or not, even when I have my thoughts which are well known by the community and even that alone inspired an article ("I'm flattered!"), but I certainly think Marvel and Star Wars aren't examples to look at. I know how much many of you enjoy and collect and consume these films and the vast merchandising of the films they release every week. But to me, watching Bond (any Bond, any film) will always be like having dinner at the Ritz Hotel while watching the other two would be like eating in McDonald's because I'm in a rush and/or have little money. More than that, I'd only watch Star Wars, Justice League, Iron Man, Batman vs Superman, Superman vs Batman, Superman and Batman vs Captain America and Spiderman if I was bored on a desolated Sunday, had nothing better to do, and I had my ticket paid.

So, these are my two cents. I know some are upset at EON changing once and again the release date and just for that, they want them out. But really, there are far worse things that may affect the franchise than a slight release delay. Be careful what you wish for...
    Just joking on my side as well. Hard to know which when we're in our pajamas (in the US, federal holiday Presidents Day).
    @Tuck91 Do you like Craig as James Bond?

Yes I do.
    Just joking on my side as well. Hard to know which when we're in our pajamas (in the US, federal holiday Presidents Day).

Kinky....
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Tuck91 wrote: »
    @Tuck91 Do you like Craig as James Bond?

Yes I do.
    Ah good, cause I don't think he's gonna be leaving Bond 25. To quote M from Skyfall...

"I'll leave when the jobs done."
    Marketing and PR techniques/methods have moved on rapidly over the last ten years or so. Fans (rightly or wrongly) have high expectations regarding updates, titbits etc to keep the gossip/positive vibes going. And silence is interpreted by many as a nagative rather than a neutral. EON have not seemed to have grasped this and they seem to want to distance themselves from fans rather than embrace them. Very different from other franchises I could mention.
  • patb wrote: »
    Marketing and PR techniques/methods have moved on rapidly over the last ten years or so. Fans (rightly or wrongly) have high expectations regarding updates, titbits etc to keep the gossip/positive vibes going. And silence is interpreted by many as a nagative rather than a neutral. EON have not seemed to have grasped this and they seem to want to distance themselves from fans rather than embrace them. Very different from other franchises I could mention.

I completely agree. Yes, secrecy is an important part of film making, but EON just hasn't gotten along with the times...

• DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited February 2019 Posts: 5,834
    patb wrote: »
    This is why they have the press conference, which has been a part of the 007 marketing/PR since as early as I can remember. Other franchises don't do this (Comic-Con doesn't count, because that's an event for more than just one film and its usually not to announce the cast).

To be honest, I don't really know what people expect at this point? Do people want a detailed list of all the problems and everything that's happening? Well, you're not going to get it because we're fans, not crew.

Yes, other franchises give us tidbits, but not at this stage in production. Just wait for the press conference. Eon do things differently and always have.
  • edited February 2019 Posts: 4,599
    "Eon do things differently and always have. "

But you have to adapt to a changing market and culture. I'm not just talking about updates for this movie. EON must have access to a wealth of material/archives that would help keep up a positive relationship between themselves and the fans.

The last tweet re the date change gave the impression it was from an AI text generator rather than a group of people committed to a great project. And there is no empathy : "sorry to everyone, I know it's hard to wait, it will be worth it" etc etc

"we are thrilled" - marketing is not aimed at them, it's aimed outwards, towards the customer. It comes over as detached and slightly arrogant to be talking about their own emotions rather than ours IMHO.

Obviously, they can't openly discuss recent events re the production but that does not then mean silence.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork

Precisely. Blockbusters had a similar train of thought and look at them now, oh wait...
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    edited February 2019 Posts: 1,756

But you have to adapt to a changing market and culture. I'm not just talking about updates for this movie. EON must have access to a wealth of material/archives that would help keep up a positive relationship between themselves and the fans.

The last tweet re the date change gave the impression it was from an AI text generator rather than a group of people committed to a great project. And there is no empathy : "sorry to everyone, I know it's hard to wait, it will be worth it" etc etc

"we are thrilled" - marketing is not aimed at them, it's aimed outwards, towards the customer. It comes over as detached and slightly arrogant to be talking about their own emotions rather than ours IMHO.

Obviously, they can't openly discuss recent events re the production but that does not then mean silence.

Agreed, EON's marketing and PR are archaic. Certainly not pulling in a younger crowd by doing this.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited February 2019 Posts: 5,834
    I see what you mean, but I've never seen anyone do this before anywhere else. If you can find me an example of a franchise that's apologised for anything, then I might think about. I just think to apologise for the delay would almost admit defeat in some ways. It would make it seem like there's even more of a problem than there is. They're showing a confident face because they obviously trust the decisions that are being made.

The wording of "thrilled" implies that they're excited about the change, and excited about whats to come. Yes, the announcement was brief, but they've got more important things to deal with than giving us an explanation. The announcement for Boyle's departure was just as brief, with no apology and no explanation. It's not needed. The tweet we got gives us everything we need to know. Why apologise for something that at the end of the day is probably gonna do the film a world of good?

Also, I just want add that it's very easy for LucasFilm and Marvel to give us loads of information and tidbits because they have so many properties. Eon deals with one team and one film at a time, if they gave us everything they could, they'd be nothing left for their conference, which is their big press announcement, with all the information we're after and it brings everyone together.
    The only way they'll learn is a disappointing box office return. Take solo for example. The audience and moviegoers will turn quick
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I do wonder when some fans will start to worry about Bond25. We get delay after delay, new writers coming in almost every month... It certainly feels Bond25 is having some serious issues and I feel it more than warranted for fans to be worried.

Yes, this lack of worrying is very worrying.