No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• echoecho 007 in New York
    ^Congrats on post 8,007.
    @echo Thank you! I think it was one of my best comments/ideas yet!!!
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited February 2019 Posts: 10,588
    peter wrote: »
    All a good night,

P

AS U CAN SEE : the production page has updated the release date and the NEW info that Burns is on writing duties.

But march 2019 stubbornly stays the same...

(whelp)
    It remains unchanged because there has yet to be an announcement from EON addressing a change. Not trying to put a negative spin on things but it's highly doubtful that filming begins in two weeks, taking into account the recent two-month delay and re-write. Several reliable sources are now saying April as well.
    jake24 wrote: »
    All a good night,

P

AS U CAN SEE : the production page has updated the release date and the NEW info that Burns is on writing duties.

(whelp)
    It remains unchanged because there has yet to be an announcement from EON addressing a change. Not trying to put a negative spin on things but it's highly doubtful that filming begins in two weeks, taking into account the recent two-month delay and re-write. Several reliable sources are now saying April as well.

This. If anything's starting in March, it will only be the most basic work. Probably just more rehearsals and stuff. Still, it would have made more sense for EON to announce the shooting delay the same time as the release date delay.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    edited February 2019 Posts: 2,730
    CJF should jump ship if B25 is a scriptless, useless, spectre-esq film. Why wouldn’t he? The real question is, if he does leave he project, what happens to B25? Does Criag stay? It’ll prob be delayed until Nov 2020. More time to work on a proper script is suppose.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    FoxRox wrote: »
    All a good night,

P

(whelp)

This. If anything's starting in March, it will only be the most basic work. Probably just more rehearsals and stuff. Still, it would have made more sense for EON to announce the shooting delay the same time as the release date delay.
    I'm guessing they avoided it because they don't have a definitive date yet and most likely wanted to avoid announcing a date that was likely to change like the ones before it.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited February 2019 Posts: 5,869
    CJF should jump ship if B25 is a scriptless, useless, spectre-esq film. Why wouldn’t he? The real question is, if he does leave he project, what happens to B25? Does Criag stay? It’ll prob be delayed until Nov 2020. More time to work on a proper script is suppose.
    He's not leaving. I know this is wishful thinking for some but despite everything people say, Eon aren't stupid. If their director was going to leave, they wouldn't be announcing another release date.
    All a good night,

P

(whelp)

I'm guessing they avoided it because they don't have a definitive date yet and most likely wanted to avoid announcing a date that was likely to change like the ones before it.

True. Still, I would have expected like "filming has been indefinitely delayed," or something to that effect. Actually, they probably shouldn't have even bothered with the release date change yet, given they don't know for sure when it will really be ready. Like I mentioned before, more delays should come as no surprise.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Playbill is reporting that Burns could get first credits on this script. (Nobody is corroborating this report, btw.) This would suggest a significant revision; it is unlikely that a revision (an "overhaul") of that magnitude would be completed by the end of the month. Meanwhile, all reports suggest that production is moving ahead. Locations and casting decisions seem to have been made.

So what have here is a good ol' fashion mystery.

giphy.gif
    Their basically ready to almolst start filming without a finished script. This sounds familiar
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Tuck91 wrote: »
    Their basically ready to almolst start filming without a finished script. This sounds familiar
    Yes, quite a lot of films in the series actually, including films which are considered the best in the series...

...like From Russia With Love, for example.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I get what you're saying @jake24 , but the shooting date, with all the changes (and the changes include a new release date and a new writer (Burns); this has all happened in 48 hours-- that's significant!!), still state shooting commencement remains march 2019.

(I believe this is end of March beginning of April)

But, this is NOT a fan site. Or a guy counting IG friends. This still remains an industry resource. I find that interesting.

Anyways, to be clear: I just present this as an industry page (release dates have been changed; the introduction of Burns has been included... why not a change in principal photography?).
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    And many non-Bond films.
    Denbigh wrote: »
    Tuck91 wrote: »
    Yes, quite a lot of films in the series actually, including films which are considered the best in the series...

...like From Russia With Love, for example.

If Bond 25 is anywhere near as good as FRWL, we'd be quite blessed.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    And many non-Bond films.
    Exactly! For example, Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, a script that Burns actually worked on himself, went through so many problems during production...

It probably had more problems than Bond 25 has had, to the point where they had a number of different writers work on the film. The film even had to have additional edits done by Stuart Baird, and I thought it was great and did very well at the box office.

(Also, I know I keep bring Rogue One up as an example, but it's a good one.)
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    He's not leaving. I know this is wishful thinking for some but despite everything people say, Eon aren't stupid. If their director was going to leave, they wouldn't be announcing another release date.

One would hope, but who knows at this point. Perhaps their confidence is too high in the people they hire. Maybe Fukunaga will walk. Then we’re all back to square one.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    And many non-Bond films.
    Exactly! For example, Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, a script that Burns actually worked on himself, went through so many problems during production...

It probably had more problems than Bond 25 has had, to the point where they had a number of different writers work on the film. The film even had to have additional edits done by Stuart Baird, and I thought it was great and did very well at the box office.

Jaws, my favorite film of all time, started shooting without much of a script at all. They were writing and rewriting scenes the night before filming them. There is a difference, though, between dialogue revisions and an "overhaul," which suggests changing plotlines and a whole lot more.

• DenbighDenbigh UK
    TripAces wrote: »
    And many non-Bond films.

Jaws, my favorite film of all time, started shooting without much of a script at all. They were writing and rewriting scenes the night before filming them. There is a difference, though, between dialogue revisions and an "overhaul," which suggests changing plotlines and a whole lot more.
    Again, all of this has happened before with success, here's some examples from the production of FRWL:

"Maibaum kept on making rewrites as filming progressed. Red Grant was added to the Istanbul scenes just prior to the film crew's trip to Turkey: this brought more focus to the SPECTRE plot, as Grant started saving Bond's life there (a late change during shooting involved Grant killing the bespectacled spy at Hagia Sophia instead of Bond, who ends up just finding the man dead). For the last quarter of the movie, Maibaum added two chase scenes, with a helicopter and speedboats, and changed the location of Bond and Klebb's battle from Paris to Venice."

Also, if we're to assume that Burns has only just started, we do not know the extent of his work on the script. It's being called a "overhaul", but then when he's finished, he may have actually kept a lot of what they already had, with some tweaks here and there to make it better. We know nothing, so this could all go many ways, but for me, ignorance is bliss and I'm happy to stay excited about this film.
    TripAces wrote: »
    And many non-Bond films.

Again, all of this has happened before with success, here's some examples from the production of FRWL:

"Maibaum kept on making rewrites as filming progressed. Red Grant was added to the Istanbul scenes just prior to the film crew's trip to Turkey: this brought more focus to the SPECTRE plot, as Grant started saving Bond's life there (a late change during shooting involved Grant killing the bespectacled spy at Hagia Sophia instead of Bond, who ends up just finding the man dead). For the last quarter of the movie, Maibaum added two chase scenes, with a helicopter and speedboats, and changed the location of Bond and Klebb's battle from Paris to Venice."

Also, if we're to assume that Burns has only just started, we do not know the extent of his work on the script. It's being called a "overhaul", but then when he's finished, he may have actually kept a lot of what they already had, with some tweaks here and there to make it better. We know nothing, so this could all go many ways, but for me, ignorance is bliss and I'm happy to stay excited about this film.

Me to
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Why are people against Fukunaga, at all?
  • edited April 2019 Posts: 377
    James Bond.

I'm definitely not. I fully support him in his efforts to help deliver a great Bond film. I'm just worried with all the issues going on he might leave. I really hope he stays though.
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York

I'm definitely not. I fully support him in his efforts to help deliver a great Bond film. I'm just worried with all the issues going on he might leave. I really hope he stays though.

Seconded.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Let’s hope for the best. Fukunaga from what I see seems invested in it, unlike Boyle who was busy with another film when they hired him. Fukunaga seems committed and I’m sure he’s striving to deliver the goods in a top quality condition.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK

I really think he will stay and if he does, I think it'll speak volumes for Barbara and Michael. I was reading an article today about him leaving IT and how he hated the strict control the producers didn't want to let go of, which lead to his eventual firing/quitting.

It would really chuck out those rumours that people have that Barbara and Michael are difficult to work with, especially after all this Boyle kerfuffle.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Seriously ... checking here at lunch time to find people continuing to say Cary is about to jump ship. I do try to read comments here, not only for news (cos I can get the gist of that on the 1st updated page) but to see in general what people are thinking. I do that because I'm a fan. Just wanting to chat with others about Bond and I'm still very excited about Bond25. This thread does not make me feel like it is a place to share being excited or positive or happy about the next Bond film. Why is that? I mean the majority of it does not; it's a negative, boiling swamp of worry or bashing.

I'll try to stay off myself, leave you alone, and be back here later ... after official news. I'll go look for a few more fun threads now. Bye ... but I shall return. Just not for the way this thread is now.
    Seriously ... checking here at lunch time to find people continuing to say Cary is about to jump ship. I do try to read comments here, not only for news (cos I can get the gist of that on the 1st updated page) but to see in general what people are thinking. I do that because I'm a fan. Just wanting to chat with others about Bond and I'm still very excited about Bond25. This thread does not make me feel like it is a place to share being excited or positive or happy about the next Bond film. Why is that? I mean the majority of it does not; it's a negative, boiling swamp of worry or bashing.

I'll try to stay off myself, leave you alone, and be back here later ... after official news. I'll go look for a few more fun threads now. Bye ... but I shall return. Just not for the way this thread is now.

Some of us are and some of us aren't feeling good about the film right now. A lot more negativity is bound to happen when preproduction issues arise, and this is far from the first for this film. Believe me, I want to be excited and happy about this next film, but the signs have been not so great thus far. If we get on the right track again and I see some positive news, my own excitement should return. Just speaking for myself. More power to you for staying positive and excited despite the news.
  • echoecho 007 in New York

I really think he will stay and if he does, I think it'll speak volumes for Barbara and Michael. I was reading an article today about him leaving IT and how he hated the strict control the producers didn't want to let go of, which lead to his eventual firing/quitting.

It would really chuck out those rumours that people have that Barbara and Michael are difficult to work with, especially after all this Boyle kerfuffle.

What rumors? Couldn't it have been a two-way street?
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited February 2019 Posts: 12,459
    Yes, I understand some concerns; I do. I just feel some of the stronger feelings go overboard and I'm not comfortable immersing myself in this thread just now. But I'll return; thanks.

I try to stay objective. I know having a new writer, and giving him 4 weeks, is a strain ... but I honestly don't think this portends doom or even that all is chaos and confusion and OMG what if Cary is next to leave ?! That kind of thing. And I am more excited about Cary than about any previous director I can remember.

I understand there can be many changes, unsettling ones, when making a film. Things happen. Often enough. But I have good faith in this franchise and in EON. So pull the trigger and shoot me for that. I still think I'm being realistic enough.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    echo wrote: »

What rumors? Couldn't it have been a two-way street?
    It definitely could've been, but there's a been a lot of talk from some of Barbara and Michael being hell-ish producers, when they're not at all.