No Time To Die: Production Diary

1212621272129213121322563

Comments

  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    Posts: 1,755
    I think what I would love to know is how we get this far in the game, but they just now realize the script needs help because “no one is happy with it.”

    What’s been going on all this time? I would LOVE to know. It’s perplexing. So much wasted time with such an incredible leading man.

    If Craig or Fukunaga walks this late in the game I’ll be crushed. All I’ve wanted is one last Daniel Craig Bond movie, and right now it just feels like it’s not going to happen despite EON being “thrilled” to lock in April 2020.

    Mark my words, there will be another delay.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded Riding a white swan to Matera
    edited February 2019 Posts: 12,436
    They did not just realize it. They knew when they made the decision to cut Boyle that the script would be changed considerably; therefore they brought in P&W. Still not happy enough for it to be finalized, they have been talking to Burns for about a month. The script is critical; EON knows that and have been tackling it. I'd rather them get Burns and make a strong effort to finish it to a high level of satisfaction, then just go with the flow to make a deadline. Bond films often have several writers with their input, including polishing.

    The only chat about Cary leaving has been from people on here (or maybe other Bond sites; I don't check them often at all). No substantial info on that; just a rumor.
  • edited February 2019 Posts: 832
    Think it’s definitely too early for strong feelings either way. I’m hopeful but concerned. I think that’s an appropriate way to be right now. That being said, if either Craig or fukunaga were to walk, I would be livid.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded Riding a white swan to Matera
    Posts: 12,436
    Well, yes. :)
  • edited February 2019 Posts: 11,420
    Ottofuse8 wrote: »
    Think it’s definitely too early for strong feelings either way. I’m hopeful but concerned. I think that’s an appropriate way to be right now. That being said, if either Craig or fukunaga were to walk, I would be livid.

    That's fair enough. I mean of course I'm hoping for the best and want a great Bond film, but given the news bits we have gotten so far my concern is greater than my excitement right now. If Craig and/or Fukunaga leaves, we'll almost certainly be in "blow it all up" mode and no one will be very happy. But that of course is worst-case scenario, and let's all hope it doesn't come to that. I'm just anxious it's more likely than we'd like given all the trouble.
  • Posts: 14,591
    Not quite understanding all this talk of Cary bailing on B25. If he were to leave I imagine the project to be scrapped altogether. Another indefinite delay, which would free Craig from his contract as well as Universal and Annapurna.

    Barbara and Michael then decide to take a much needed break due to the fatigue caused by the non-start of this project. More than half a decade passes while Barbara works on other projects and Mickey G retires.

    Eventually Barbara gets around to working another one picture distribution deal and a release date is again set for the 25th Bond epic : November 2042 in time for the series' 80th anniversary. Rumors still abound that Elba is to take over as Bond. However, Craig agrees at the age of 74 to return for his final outing.

    B25 promises to continue from where SP left off with Lea Seydoux confirmed to return and we're promised a more personal story-line.

    Seriously, April 2020 is only a 2 month delay. In the grand scale of things it's nothing. I doubt Cary is going to jump ship at this point.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited February 2019 Posts: 5,201
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    Not quite understanding all this talk of Cary bailing on B25. Seriously, April 2020 is only a 2 month delay. In the grand scale of things it's nothing. I doubt Cary is going to jump ship at this point.
    giphy.gif
  • Posts: 1
    Let’s hope for the best. Fukunaga from what I see seems invested in it, unlike Boyle who was busy with another film when they hired him. Fukunaga seems committed and I’m sure he’s striving to deliver the goods in a top quality condition.
    One of the 2 directors who worked on Bond 25 approached EON with an idea the other did not.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    Posts: 2,730
    I’m not saying that he will jump ship. I don’t believe he will. However I also didn’t believe the film would ever be delayed, let alone twice. CJF is notorious for leaving projects and if this film has a crap script, why would CJF not leave the project before filming starts? I think it’s unwise to be so naive and say that there’s 0% chance he leaves. Because I think if there’s even a 1% chance, it’s worth considering the consequences of such an event.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Posts: 15,423
    DB006 wrote: »
    Let’s hope for the best. Fukunaga from what I see seems invested in it, unlike Boyle who was busy with another film when they hired him. Fukunaga seems committed and I’m sure he’s striving to deliver the goods in a top quality condition.
    One of the 2 directors who worked on Bond 25 approached EON with an idea the other did not.
    And where did that idea get him?
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    Posts: 1,755
    What kind of a disaster would it be if there’s a worst case scenario that Craig or Fukunaga bails? Wouldn’t this be a major issue for all parties involved financially, or would it be easily remedied?
  • BennyBenny Classified Administrator, Moderator
    Posts: 12,952
    The Fukunaga bailing / leaving Bond 25 is nothing more than speculation based on Cary Fukunaga’s Twitter / Instagram account/s.
    Pay it no attention at this time
  • Posts: 1,680
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    What kind of a disaster would it be if there’s a worst case scenario that Craig or Fukunaga bails? Wouldn’t this be a major issue for all parties involved financially, or would it be easily remedied?
    . They could lose fukunaga and get away with it to a degree and delay again but if craig walks eon would just have to recast and start over again considering the script is tailored to Craig's bond.

  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Posts: 10,987
    It would be remedied. Think about it.

    Easy for us. Heavy lifting for EoN.
  • Posts: 1,680
    DB006 wrote: »
    Let’s hope for the best. Fukunaga from what I see seems invested in it, unlike Boyle who was busy with another film when they hired him. Fukunaga seems committed and I’m sure he’s striving to deliver the goods in a top quality condition.
    One of the 2 directors who worked on Bond 25 approached EON with an idea the other did not.
    And where did that idea get him?

    It got Him hired by eon and approved by Craig. I don't think it could have been abysmal to make it that far
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Posts: 15,423
    Tuck91 wrote: »
    DB006 wrote: »
    Let’s hope for the best. Fukunaga from what I see seems invested in it, unlike Boyle who was busy with another film when they hired him. Fukunaga seems committed and I’m sure he’s striving to deliver the goods in a top quality condition.
    One of the 2 directors who worked on Bond 25 approached EON with an idea the other did not.
    And where did that idea get him?
    It got Him hired by eon and approved by Craig. I don't think it could have been abysmal to make it that far
    And it got him fired after the several verbal clashes he has had with Craig as one of the reports posted in a previous page says.

    I don’t have the slightest clue what did he pitch them that got him hired, only to be fired with a good riddance after his ideas started to unfold. It must have been pretty abysmal. Well... the blurb alone is.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Posts: 5,201
    @Tuck91 Do you like Craig as James Bond?
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    Posts: 3,126
    Tuck91 wrote: »
    DB006 wrote: »
    Let’s hope for the best. Fukunaga from what I see seems invested in it, unlike Boyle who was busy with another film when they hired him. Fukunaga seems committed and I’m sure he’s striving to deliver the goods in a top quality condition.
    One of the 2 directors who worked on Bond 25 approached EON with an idea the other did not.
    And where did that idea get him?
    It got Him hired by eon and approved by Craig. I don't think it could have been abysmal to make it that far
    And it got him fired after the several verbal clashes he has had with Craig as one of the reports posted in a previous page says.

    I don’t have the slightest clue what did he pitch them that got him hired, only to be fired with a good riddance after his ideas started to unfold. It must have been pretty abysmal. Well... the blurb alone is.

    Read this it goes into hodge and Boyle https://www.mi6-hq.com/sections/articles/bond-25-new-writer-to-overhaul-shooting-script?id=04454
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    edited February 2019 Posts: 1,756
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Getafix wrote: »
    I think QOS and SP had plenty of problems. Even SF. They just pushed on through.

    The writing on these films has been a shambles for years to be honest.

    And that seems to be the root of the problem. They just can't nail a good script. Hardly surprising when they use a writing team like P+W.

    I'm not holding my breath that Fukunaga stays. In a way I'd prefer a Ron Howard type character right now. Workmanlike safe pair of hands. Someone who knows movies inside out and tells a good story.

    See, this is what I don't get; why do EoN keep going back to Purvis and Wade? Why? They know Fleming? Who gives a crap? They're not the only screen writers who do and more importantly tgeyre not terribly good writers to begin with.a screen writer doesn't need to be a Fleming purist in order to 'get Bond or to write a great Bond script. EoN have consistently wasted time, money and resources keeping these guys around instead of taking real time out to find the right people for the job. The one time they did (John Logan) was on the back of the success of SF and they got complacent and dropped the ball leaving Logan unattended for months before it was too late and they found themselves inn the midst of the infamous preproduction debacle of what came to be imo the worst Bond film in the series.

    With Boyle, I still don't understand wth happened there. Before hiring him surely EoN would have heard a pitch of some sort of where the story would go; long story short, Boyle is off the project after months of preproduction and shortly before filming was supposed to begin. Look, people can say what they like about Marvel and more often than not, the criticisms placed at Marvel are misguided when it comes to their output and volume but Kevin Feige does his flippin' job. He produces and carefully oversees the projects under his remit. It's not just 1 IP he's producing, he's juggling multiple IPs with different directors, writers etc and he gets the job done...and this isnt about source material either because tge films rarely if ever come anywhere closecto adapting storylines from the comics. Furthermore, this was before Disney's acquisition of little Marvel Studios; so why is it that EoN, OGs inbthe industry are proving more and more incapable to effectively do their damn job and get things off the ground with the right foot? Overhauling the script at this stage after 4 years is a joke. I don't care what article in defence of this outrageous set of circumstances says, this whole process has been a joke. Unfortunate but a joke nonetheless. Just like with every Bond film I really hope Bond 25 turns out great but I have to say, I'm disappointed and unimpressed with the way EoN have carried on for a number of years now, especially when the final products delivered have been huge disappointments.

    Well said.
    jake24 wrote: »
    shamanimal wrote: »
    There's some rubbish posted on this thread.
    Agreed. Pure lunacy.

    Agreed. Baseless speculation. Even if you are a skeptic.
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    Posts: 1,755
    I hope one of these days soon I can pull up this forum and see an announcement of a press conference. That would at least restore some lost faith in me at this point.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    edited February 2019 Posts: 11,121
    Shardlake wrote: »
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Getafix wrote: »
    I think QOS and SP had plenty of problems. Even SF. They just pushed on through.

    The writing on these films has been a shambles for years to be honest.

    And that seems to be the root of the problem. They just can't nail a good script. Hardly surprising when they use a writing team like P+W.

    I'm not holding my breath that Fukunaga stays. In a way I'd prefer a Ron Howard type character right now. Workmanlike safe pair of hands. Someone who knows movies inside out and tells a good story.

    See, this is what I don't get; why do EoN keep going back to Purvis and Wade? Why? They know Fleming? Who gives a crap? They're not the only screen writers who do and more importantly tgeyre not terribly good writers to begin with.a screen writer doesn't need to be a Fleming purist in order to 'get Bond or to write a great Bond script. EoN have consistently wasted time, money and resources keeping these guys around instead of taking real time out to find the right people for the job. The one time they did (John Logan) was on the back of the success of SF and they got complacent and dropped the ball leaving Logan unattended for months before it was too late and they found themselves inn the midst of the infamous preproduction debacle of what came to be imo the worst Bond film in the series.

    With Boyle, I still don't understand wth happened there. Before hiring him surely EoN would have heard a pitch of some sort of where the story would go; long story short, Boyle is off the project after months of preproduction and shortly before filming was supposed to begin. Look, people can say what they like about Marvel and more often than not, the criticisms placed at Marvel are misguided when it comes to their output and volume but Kevin Feige does his flippin' job. He produces and carefully oversees the projects under his remit. It's not just 1 IP he's producing, he's juggling multiple IPs with different directors, writers etc and he gets the job done...and this isnt about source material either because tge films rarely if ever come anywhere closecto adapting storylines from the comics. Furthermore, this was before Disney's acquisition of little Marvel Studios; so why is it that EoN, OGs inbthe industry are proving more and more incapable to effectively do their damn job and get things off the ground with the right foot? Overhauling the script at this stage after 4 years is a joke. I don't care what article in defence of this outrageous set of circumstances says, this whole process has been a joke. Unfortunate but a joke nonetheless. Just like with every Bond film I really hope Bond 25 turns out great but I have to say, I'm disappointed and unimpressed with the way EoN have carried on for a number of years now, especially when the final products delivered have been huge disappointments.

    Huge disappoints for you and some others, I hate SP but it made a bag load of money and as for SF, I know you don't like but disappointing???

    This isn't about making money per sé. Every commercial movie is in the business of making money but just because a film makes a lot of money it doesn't mean that it's good or can't be disappointing.
    I'm sorry you are letting your own opinion inform what is disappointing and SF in the big scheme is far from that.

    What does this even mean? My own opinion? Yes, I'm able to conclude what I enjoy or find disappointing based on my own opinions after assessing what s been presented to me rather than blindly accepting any rubbish just because it's got the Bond name slapped on it or because other people think contrary to what I do.
    Even QOS for all its problems didn't flop and as for CR well that kicked off the whole era in such style

    What's your point? And again, money isn't the issue here. These films will ALWAYS make money. That's never been a point to dispute.
    You don't like it fine like I hate SP but I would be being ridiculous to suggest that these 4 films have been a disaster, not one of them hasn't made their money back.

    What exactly in my post are you referring/responding to because honestly I have no idea what you're on about.
    By that logic I can call all comic book films disappointing as with the odd exception they leave me cold and don't entertain me at all.

    And? I'm supposed to have a problem with this?? How you feel about any film is how YOU feel. I couldn't care less.
    You are clearly wanting EON to sell the licence off to someone else, well I think you might find that the brand would be diluted beyond belief and at the expense of you wanting a Bond film more often. We'll see this 57 year old film series, which is unprecedented loosing its identity and event status pretty quick.

    That's a silly assumption to make based on what I wrote, if indeed you actually bothered to read it. If I'm going to say anything I'll just flat out and say it....conspicuously. I'm not suggesting or insinuating that EoN sell, I just want them to do a better job as producers and to take serious charge over their property; and surprise-surprise you missed my point entirely about the comparison to Marvel Studios.
    No big studio will buy this up just to make an entry every 2 - 3 years and that is it. They'll milk it for all its worth and just like with Star Wars and the comic book genre these films won't feel special any more, just expected and pretty damn formulaic at that.

    Again, you're making points tgat aren't relevant to my post but in any case, the Bond films as of late don't even feel special NOW and as an event film can't match the hype, critical reception and Box Office numbers of the Avengers movies (these are statistical facts and I don't care how anyone personally feels about those films. I'm just making an objective point)... and are you seriously talking about other films/franchises being formulaic????? Bond is KING of being formulaic.
  • Cary has a private account on Instagram.

    However you can still see his number of posts/number of followers and people following.

    I checked yesterday and again today and he unfollowed around 10 people since the Burns story broke.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Posts: 11,121
    Denbigh wrote: »
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Why are people against Fukunaga, at all?

    I'm definitely not. I fully support him in his efforts to help deliver a great Bond film. I'm just worried with all the issues going on he might leave. I really hope he stays though.
    I really think he will stay and if he does, I think it'll speak volumes for Barbara and Michael. I was reading an article today about him leaving IT and how he hated the strict control the producers didn't want to let go of, which lead to his eventual firing/quitting.

    It would really chuck out those rumours that people have that Barbara and Michael are difficult to work with, especially after all this Boyle kerfuffle.

    Difficult to work with? Really? I feel like they're too laissez faire and not strict enough.
  • BennyBenny Classified Administrator, Moderator
    Posts: 12,952
    Cary has a private account on Instagram.

    However you can still see his number of posts/number of followers and people following.

    I checked yesterday and again today and he unfollowed around 10 people since the Burns story broke.

    I’m sorry @Pierce2Daniel but this has nothing to do with Bond25
    At this point it’s merely speculation and guesswork on your part.
    Your contribution to this thread, and the forum as a whole is appreciated as are all members opinions.
    But this isn’t news or connected to Bond 25 apart from Fukunaga being the films director. There could be any number of reasons for him to unfollow people.
  • Benny wrote: »
    Cary has a private account on Instagram.

    However you can still see his number of posts/number of followers and people following.

    I checked yesterday and again today and he unfollowed around 10 people since the Burns story broke.

    I’m sorry @Pierce2Daniel but this has nothing to do with Bond25
    At this point it’s merely speculation and guesswork on your part.
    Your contribution to this thread, and the forum as a whole is appreciated as are all members opinions.
    But this isn’t news or connected to Bond 25 apart from Fukunaga being the films director. There could be any number of reasons for him to unfollow people.

    It’s purely speculation but 90% of this thread is speculation. Then around 8% arguing who the composer should be and around 2% news.

  • SkyfallCraigSkyfallCraig Rome, Italy
    edited February 2019 Posts: 630
    i would like to recall all of you that IT has been in the making for like 7 years, written twice by Fukunaga, left by him, scrapped and rebuilt to be the one we saw directed by Muschietti.
    And it all turned out pretty ok I think
  • Posts: 3,993
    Tuck91 wrote: »
    Their basically ready to almolst start filming without a finished script. This sounds familiar

    Isn’t this how the MI movies get done these days?
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    Posts: 3,126
    It would help if we had a bond video game to help pass through these gaps
  • 007Blofeld wrote: »
    It would help if we had a bond video game to help pass through these gaps
    Naughty Dog or Rockstar should make a Bond game.
  • I do wonder when some fans will start to worry about Bond25. We get delay after delay, new writers coming in almost every month... It certainly feels Bond25 is having some serious issues and I feel it more than warranted for fans to be worried.

    Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if the movie gets delayed even further or even people like the director leaving. Nothing about Bond25 wouldn't surprise me anymore.

    And to people claiming we could get a great film out of all the troubles behind the scenes are right. There are examples of that. However, there are far more examples of movies that turned out abysmal because of all the shenanigans going on during the production...

    Yes, I am worried.
Sign In or Register to comment.