No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

The Bourne Connection.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited February 2019 Posts: 5,834

This what I was looking for @jake24! I had to go back into the depths of this discussion haha
  • edited February 2019 Posts: 11,425
    It all seems to suggest it's much further out of Kukunagas control than I'd thought.

The rumours he wanted out begin to ring true.

Wonder if we can expect a new director now or even midway through filming like Solo and some of the recent super hero flicks.

• RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    Well my favorite Craig films have been Bourne influenced so I guess it could be worse.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Getafix wrote: »
    It all seems to suggest it's much further out of Kukunagas control than I'd thought.

Wonder if we can expect a new director now or even midway through filming like Solo and some of the recent super hero flicks.
    I understand you concern, but there's not much to support that.
    There's not much evidence to disprove it either.

I know wild rumours have been flying around about this movie but a lot have also turned out to be true.

It's definitely the no deal Brexit Bond movie - total chaos and no one has a clue whats going to happen.
  • edited June 2022 Posts: 658
    I think it’s obvious that had Fukunaga directed a big, financially successful movie recently he would have left this mess a long time ago just like he left IT.
    Well if he left IT presumably he could leave B25.
    I think it’s obvious that had Fukunaga directed a big, financially successful movie recently he would have left this mess a long time ago just like he left IT.

Yes.

EON just seem to have lost control. They've got a lead actor who couldn't commit until the last minute and then when he did commit they had no strong idea on how to take it forward. Plus Craig's executive producer role just doesn't help. He is not necessarily the best judge of where his Bond needs to go next, as was amply demonstrated by SP.

The continuity has screwed them as well obviously.
  • RC7RC7

This guy is what Jimmy Bullard would call ‘Chocolada’. Sadly, only the late @TheWizardOfIce would understand that reference. RIP.
  • edited February 2019 Posts: 4,400

Actually Fukunaga was fired from It - he very much got the Danny Boyle treatment with that one. Warner Bros got cold feet as they thought he was going to make something more esoteric and arthouse - they wanted the movie that was made (more jump scares and thrills):
    https://www.slashfilm.com/why-cary-fukunaga-left-it/

He was coming of Beasts of No Nation and had a lot of heat - though that film was unfairly snubbed at the Oscars due to its Netflix status. However, after the It-fiasco, Fukunaga went on to make Maniac, which got good reviews but didn't really catch fire. No one really spoke about it as much as other Netflix shows, which surprises me.

I expect Fukunaga doesn't need Bond 25 - but it would help him to make a big hit that people actually see. The memory of True Detective is fading. Bond 25 should be that film. This is why he might stick around through the script issues.....

I’m wondering if the only reason Fukunaga hasn’t left yet is because he doesn’t want to hurt his own reputation (as far as leaving projects goes). Even still, I certainly don’t feel 100% confident he will stay on. I won’t be able to gain any positivity again until the film starts shooting, and even then won’t feel particularly calm. Surely this has been the most problematic Bond film preproduction ever?
    I think QOS and SP had plenty of problems. Even SF. They just pushed on through.

The writing on these films has been a shambles for years to be honest.

And that seems to be the root of the problem. They just can't nail a good script. Hardly surprising when they use a writing team like P+W.

I'm not holding my breath that Fukunaga stays. In a way I'd prefer a Ron Howard type character right now. Workmanlike safe pair of hands. Someone who knows movies inside out and tells a good story.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    This page has become so depressing.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    RC7 wrote: »

This guy is what Jimmy Bullard would call ‘Chocolada’. Sadly, only the late @TheWizardOfIce would understand that reference. RIP.

Where is Pardew now

Late @TheWizardOfIce?
  • RC7RC7

Where is Pardew now

Late @TheWizardOfIce?

Ha ha, good catch. Honestly? I don’t know. Probably on a beach.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    edited February 2019 Posts: 2,541
    Denbigh wrote: »

This what I was looking for @jake24! I had to go back into the depths of this discussion haha

I loved this , thanks for sharing it again.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

Where is Pardew now

Late @TheWizardOfIce?

Ha ha, good catch. Honestly? I don’t know. Probably on a beach.

Hope he is is enjoying the beach, I don't go on this thread often lol
    I want to know what Roger Mifchell’s quantum of Solace would of looked like
    Thankfully I was born in a time where no one obsessed about a Bond film before it was even made... It eventually was completed then I went to watch it at the cinema, then after watching it I would then assess the film. Those were the days, OP was my first cinema Bond fond memories.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars

Come on now.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I think QOS and SP had plenty of problems. Even SF. They just pushed on through.

And that seems to be the root of the problem. They just can't nail a good script. Hardly surprising when they use a writing team like P+W.

I'm not holding my breath that Fukunaga stays. In a way I'd prefer a Ron Howard type character right now. Workmanlike safe pair of hands. Someone who knows movies inside out and tells a good story.

See, this is what I don't get; why do EoN keep going back to Purvis and Wade? Why? They know Fleming? Who gives a crap? They're not the only screen writers who do and more importantly tgeyre not terribly good writers to begin with.a screen writer doesn't need to be a Fleming purist in order to 'get Bond or to write a great Bond script. EoN have consistently wasted time, money and resources keeping these guys around instead of taking real time out to find the right people for the job. The one time they did (John Logan) was on the back of the success of SF and they got complacent and dropped the ball leaving Logan unattended for months before it was too late and they found themselves inn the midst of the infamous preproduction debacle of what came to be imo the worst Bond film in the series.

With Boyle, I still don't understand wth happened there. Before hiring him surely EoN would have heard a pitch of some sort of where the story would go; long story short, Boyle is off the project after months of preproduction and shortly before filming was supposed to begin. Look, people can say what they like about Marvel and more often than not, the criticisms placed at Marvel are misguided when it comes to their output and volume but Kevin Feige does his flippin' job. He produces and carefully oversees the projects under his remit. It's not just 1 IP he's producing, he's juggling multiple IPs with different directors, writers etc and he gets the job done...and this isnt about source material either because tge films rarely if ever come anywhere closecto adapting storylines from the comics. Furthermore, this was before Disney's acquisition of little Marvel Studios; so why is it that EoN, OGs inbthe industry are proving more and more incapable to effectively do their damn job and get things off the ground with the right foot? Overhauling the script at this stage after 4 years is a joke. I don't care what article in defence of this outrageous set of circumstances says, this whole process has been a joke. Unfortunate but a joke nonetheless. Just like with every Bond film I really hope Bond 25 turns out great but I have to say, I'm disappointed and unimpressed with the way EoN have carried on for a number of years now, especially when the final products delivered have been huge disappointments.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Thankfully I was born in a time where no one obsessed about a Bond film before it was even made... It eventually was completed then I went to watch it at the cinema, then after watching it I would then assess the film. Those were the days, OP was my first cinema Bond fond memories.

Quite. Nowadays, people are obsessed with their perceived version of a perfect Bond film - including pre production - and they can't look past their dream, once a Bond film has come out, for better or for worse.
    @doubleoego Best comment of the month! I couldn’t agree with you more.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    edited February 2019 Posts: 12,916
    Yes, for even longtime fans I wonder how they so easily welcomed Bond films to 2002 then took on so much scrutiny toward the latest film productions and eventual release of the new mission. A very sensitive approach to it all, even before it's made as you said.

• DoctorNoDoctorNo USA-Maryland
    doubleoego wrote: »
    See, this is what I don't get; why do EoN keep going back to Purvis and Wade? Why? They know Fleming? Who gives a crap? They're not the only screen writers who do and more importantly tgeyre not terribly good writers to begin with.a screen writer doesn't need to be a Fleming purist in order to 'get Bond or to write a great Bond script. EoN have consistently wasted time, money and resources keeping these guys around instead of taking real time out to find the right people for the job. The one time they did (John Logan) was on the back of the success of SF and they got complacent and dropped the ball leaving Logan unattended for months before it was too late and they found themselves inn the midst of the infamous preproduction debacle of what came to be imo the worst Bond film in the series.

With Boyle, I still don't understand wth happened there. Before hiring him surely EoN would have heard a pitch of some sort of where the story would go; long story short, Boyle is off the project after months of preproduction and shortly before filming was supposed to begin. Look, people can say what they like about Marvel and more often than not, the criticisms placed at Marvel are misguided when it comes to their output and volume but Kevin Feige does his flippin' job. He produces and carefully oversees the projects under his remit. It's not just 1 IP he's producing, he's juggling multiple IPs with different directors, writers etc and he gets the job done...and this isnt about source material either because tge films rarely if ever come anywhere closecto adapting storylines from the comics. Furthermore, this was before Disney's acquisition of little Marvel Studios; so why is it that EoN, OGs inbthe industry are proving more and more incapable to effectively do their damn job and get things off the ground with the right foot? Overhauling the script at this stage after 4 years is a joke. I don't care what article in defence of this outrageous set of circumstances says, this whole process has been a joke. Unfortunate but a joke nonetheless. Just like with every Bond film I really hope Bond 25 turns out great but I have to say, I'm disappointed and unimpressed with the way EoN have carried on for a number of years now, especially when the final products delivered have been huge disappointments.

Yep. And have you ever heard P&W in an interview? It’s not like they can impress you verbally either.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited February 2019 Posts: 4,043
    doubleoego wrote: »

Huge disappoints for you and some others, I hate SP but it made a bag load of money and as for SF, I know you don't like but disappointing???

I'm sorry you are letting your own opinion inform what is disappointing and SF in the big scheme is far from that.

Even QOS for all its problems didn't flop and as for CR well that kicked off the whole era in such style

You don't like it fine like I hate SP but I would be being ridiculous to suggest that these 4 films have been a disaster, not one of them hasn't made their money back.

By that logic I can call all comic book films disappointing as with the odd exception they leave me cold and don't entertain me at all.

You are clearly wanting EON to sell the licence off to someone else, well I think you might find that the brand would be diluted beyond belief and at the expense of you wanting a Bond film more often. We'll see this 57 year old film series, which is unprecedented loosing its identity and event status pretty quick.

No big studio will buy this up just to make an entry every 2 - 3 years and that is it. They'll milk it for all its worth and just like with Star Wars and the comic book genre these films won't feel special any more, just expected and pretty damn formulaic at that.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    P&W put together a basic Bond story. EON knows they can do that reliably. Other writers can and do come in during the process; add, make changes. For many years now. But it gives EON a place to start and they know that. I don't hate P&W, by the way.
  • edited February 2019 Posts: 4,619
    But it gives EON a place to start
    Yeah, 1 or 2 months before the start of filming is an excellent time to start turning P&W's basic Bond story into a decent script!