No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited February 2019 Posts: 15,423
    Looks like we have a few fantasy island experts around here. Ones who think are the hosts of facts and theories. ;)
    Denbigh wrote: »
    Shardlake wrote: »
    it's Dan's Goldfinger and unless Bond 25 does something truly remarkable I don't see that changing, it was a phenomenon.
    And this perfectly sums up some of my reasoning for why I'd prefer Bond 25 to be a stand-alone film. James Bond films just do better (for me anyway) when they're not trying to solve issues from other films.

Not necessarily wrong but probably worth remembering that since the 70s EON have reflected the market for genre fare. Craig's tenure has been shaped by the approach of Nolan and Greengrass because those guys were making the prestige genre efforts of the late 00s/early 10s.

But now the market is heavy on sequels and cinematic universes that drag lesser instalments along for the ride. Even Logan, ostensibly a one-off, leans on the history of the Singer films. Infinity War features a returning cast member from Letterier's Hulk film. The Star Wars spin offs have each had actors from the prequels reprise roles.

I think the only way we were going to get a contained film was with Boyle, but I have mixed feelings about that as I suspect the baby would be chucked out with the bathwater in terms of the Mi6 infrastructure which would have been a shame.
    Looks like we have a few fantasy island experts around here. Ones who think are the hosts of facts and theories. ;)

I have been told I look like Ricardo Maltobaum
    Following Baz’s twitter. Nothing on B25, but he did mention former Bond girl Gemma Arterton will be in the new Kingsman movie.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited February 2019 Posts: 5,869
    FourDot wrote: »
    Shardlake wrote: »
    it's Dan's Goldfinger and unless Bond 25 does something truly remarkable I don't see that changing, it was a phenomenon.
    And this perfectly sums up some of my reasoning for why I'd prefer Bond 25 to be a stand-alone film. James Bond films just do better (for me anyway) when they're not trying to solve issues from other films.

Not necessarily wrong but probably worth remembering that since the 70s EON have reflected the market for genre fare. Craig's tenure has been shaped by the approach of Nolan and Greengrass because those guys were making the prestige genre efforts of the late 00s/early 10s.

But now the market is heavy on sequels and cinematic universes that drag lesser instalments along for the ride. Even Logan, ostensibly a one-off, leans on the history of the Singer films. Infinity War features a returning cast member from Letterier's Hulk film. The Star Wars spin offs have each had actors from the prequels reprise roles.

I think the only way we were going to get a contained film was with Boyle, but I have mixed feelings about that as I suspect the baby would be chucked out with the bathwater in terms of the Mi6 infrastructure which would have been a shame.

All very good insights, but doesn't excuse the problems. I completely agree that EON have leaned heavily on the current market and the current market is definitely enjoying pushing sequels and cinematic universes but that doesn't mean it works.

Actually, Nolan's Batman franchise is a good example. The films were really successful, but people consider Batman Begins and The Dark Knight (both standalone stories) the best ones, with the latter taking precedence. But the ending of TDK set itself up for more of a sequel and it didn't work.

The Dark Knight Rises had to tackle Bruce Wayne's break from being Batman and the fallout of Harvey Dent's death and again it didn't work and people consider it the weakest in Nolan's trilogy. This was quite disappointing considering it was the last one and that's what worries me for Bond 25 because it's Craig's last film. I don't want them to waste it on trying to answer questions left over from Spectre.

I should also mention that I don't think it can't be done, and when I see B25 I could be proven wrong, but from what I've seen, it's a risky move.
  • Blofeld0064Blofeld0064 Milford, Michigan
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Following Baz’s twitter. Nothing on B25, but he did mention former Bond girl Gemma Arterton will be in the new Kingsman movie.

Hopefully he's not done yet, Two scoops on the new kingsman and I really hope he's got a scoop or two on B25.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    FoxRox wrote: »

Hopefully he's not done yet, Two scoops on the new kingsman and I really hope he's got a scoop or two on B25.
    Aaron Taylor-Johnson, yes please! Maybe he'll show some people why I think he should play James Bond :)
  • AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    I asked Baz if any news was coming out tonight.

That settles that. Thanks for reaching out.
  • Blofeld0064Blofeld0064 Milford, Michigan

Bummer!
  • DenbighDenbigh UK

Maybe tomorrow?
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    edited February 2019 Posts: 1,318

Maybe tomorrow?

The story of our lives, currently:
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    @Denbigh what’s happening on March 1st?
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    @Denbigh what’s happening on March 1st?
    Oh sorry @DonnyDB5 , forgot to reply, that's apparently when we're having the press conference.

Maybe tomorrow?

The story of our lives, currently:
    Haha always the way ;)
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    I’m all in with the idea of a Waltz return if the story allows it, but at the same time I find myself a little bit uncomfortable with the idea of having both the main Bond girl and the main villain of the previous film coming back in the sequel. It all depends on the story and how much space there’s for them in it. I’m not a “I want this, I don’t want this” kind of fan, since we know nothing about the movie and EoN’s approach to it.
    @Denbigh, no worries. Thanks! Who originally heard it’ll be on March 1st?
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    @Denbigh, no worries. Thanks! Who originally heard it’ll be on March 1st?
    @Risico007 is your man :)
    edited February 2019 Posts: 1,755
    @Denbigh @Risico007 Fingers crossed.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Risico007 wrote: »

I have been told I look like Ricardo Maltobaum

With better hair @Risico007 ...
    Not sure if this tidbit made it here,

Boyles film from what I read on reddit from cashley persia (dont think this specific post made it on here) consisted of a stand alone story, european unknowns in the supporting roles, very little action and mainly a character piece on Craigs Bond. It was also mainly to be set in the UK and a very british based movie at a price tag of 100 million . He says Babs & Craig did not get on well with Boyle at all from the start, and Purvis & Wade being brought in was what made him tick and finally leave.

I believe this, when Fukunaga was brought in we heard of the CR arc being continued & more glamorous locations to feature.

I think EON did a 180 last August and completely changed their mind on the film they were making. Part of me wishes we were still getting Boyle, I think a standalone is likely to be better recieved.

• peterpeter Toronto

Respectfully, if there was a delay on principal for B25, I think most will say Baz would have made mention of it— especially since it was tweeted on (by one person), only a few days ago.

Again, with all respect, I hafta believe there isn’t a delay on first day of principal photography. I will humbly shut my trap if I am wrong... as I said to those that asked me what I had heard: no delay is what I heard.

And with respect, others who had touched base with @ColonelSun and archivo007, their very different sources than mine said the same thing: no delay.

So emperor’s clothes or not, the evidence is suggesting that maybe the Collider guy misinterpreted our DoP...

(It wouldn’t be the first time the author, or this fanzine, got 007 wrong, or misinterpreted something to do with 007).

Baz would have been a more reliable source, and even he isn’t talking about a one month delay for B25 (and a one month delay on ANY film is significant).

Tuck91 wrote: »
    Not sure if this tidbit made it here,

Boyles film from what I read on reddit from cashley persia (dont think this specific post made it on here) consisted of a stand alone story, european unknowns in the supporting roles, very little action and mainly a character piece on Craigs Bond. It was also mainly to be set in the UK and a very british based movie at a price tag of 100 million . He says Babs & Craig did not get on well with Boyle at all from the start, and Purvis & Wade being brought in was what made him tick and finally leave.

I believe this, when Fukunaga was brought in we heard of the CR arc being continued & more glamorous locations to feature.

I think EON did a 180 last August and completely changed their mind on the film they were making. Part of me wishes we were still getting Boyle, I think a standalone is likely to be better recieved.

Cashley has a very spotty track record, so I wouldn’t put a ton of stock in it.
    peter wrote: »

Respectfully, if there was a delay on principal for B25, I think most will say Baz would have made mention of it— especially since it was tweeted on (by one person), only a few days ago.

Again, with all respect, I hafta believe there isn’t a delay on first day of principal photography. I will humbly shut my trap if I am wrong... as I said to those that asked me what I had heard: no delay is what I heard.

And with respect, others who had touched base with @ColonelSun and archivo007, their very different sources than mine said the same thing: no delay.

So emperor’s clothes or not, the evidence is suggesting that maybe the Collider guy misinterpreted our DoP...

(It wouldn’t be the first time the author, or this fanzine, got 007 wrong, or misinterpreted something to do with 007).

Baz would have been a more reliable source, and even he isn’t talking about a one month delay for B25 (and a one month delay on ANY film is significant).

Excellent points, Peter.
  • Waltz would definitely step up his game if offered the role again, no doubt about it, I think we all can agree whether you like his Blofeld or not.

If he's already a good actor, he just needs to get more used to the role as it has many challenges it presents with the past record of every past Blofeld movie featuring a new actor in the role. Telly Savalas worked well because he was the most experienced actor compared to his colleagues, and that made it easier for him to carry and guide the character with the audience. That goes without saying that his Blofeld was a different character since the book was followed in that he and Bond didn't recognize each other under the guise of ear lobe surgery.

DAF casted another actor from YOLT with the return of Connery but even that did not make up for the over-the-top slapstick comedy it developed into.

If Waltz returns, he and Daniel Craig can really practice their roles to have a better chemistry.
    I will repeat what was said

THERE IS NO DELAY AND FILMING BEGINS MARCH 4th.

Can you hear me in the back

The plane the plane
    I feel like if there was a delay we’d have gotten more word by now. My guess is that the Pinewood filming begins March 4 and then outside countries start in April.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    peter wrote: »

Excellent points, Peter.

It’s only what I have heard, and, I’d like to make clear, this is not to disrespect anyone, nor cause a fight; I am simply saying that I, and others, heard that there was no delay on principal and; I was ready to accept Baz would have news and an update (as a poster has surmised already that EoN goes to him and Deadline (even quoting Baz’s recent exclusives as examples)).

His silence on this matter, as well as Deadline, Google, official Bond websites, twitter, Facebook, fanzines like Den of Geek and its ilk; hell, even Collider itself hasn’t printed the following from their own writers:

CF was gonna leave set.
    HENRY CAVILL was gonna play a double O in B25 and would play the next 007, and;
    There is a month delay of principal photography on B 25.

No outlet or industry site or industry person or rival of EoN, MGM, Universal or Annapurna, is reporting ANY of this (which could be damaging to a rival in the dog eat dog world of filmmaking; but it hasn’t happened ).

• peterpeter Toronto
    I will add, as a separate post, and I hope @jake24 allows this, rather than editing into my post above:

This is not about right and wrong, and perhaps that was what @Pierce2Daniel was feeling.

He is constantly researching and he saw a quote and he reported it to us.

Perhaps he felt I was being flippant with my response and I negated his work on the fact that this could be true.

Of course it could have been true, and that's why I was suggesting that I wanted a more formal announcement from a more reliable source (as I said Deadline, Variety, or one of the official pages of 007).

But @Pierce2Daniel , that's all I was saying: I'd rather hear from a more "official" source than this guy (who, admittedly, I don't trust as a knowledgeable "Bond-spert")

So, after re-reading all the back and forths, I should put to bed this: I don't care about right and wrong-- I get a bit, a morsel and I share it; @ColonelSun does the same or @ggl007 ... this is the film industry and things could change tomorrow-- you know that too.

In this case, between us, I was expressing my disbelief in the quote you cited.

I have a feeling, from what I heard from others, you may be "wrong" in believing this quote. And I still believe that. But so what? That does not negate what you bring to the forum, @Pierce2Daniel. I called you an internet scavenger in a moment. So I will respectfully apologize for that description.

As I have suggested, and others too, let's take this off the thread now. Please PM me, EM or ignore me. Lets not take up anymore space on this.

Best,

P

• peterpeter Toronto
    =bg= wrote: »

Finally one paper (the daily mail) has picked up on one tweet. If the delay is real, as I suspected, Deadline or Variety, HR or any of the official websites will now pick up and VERIFY the quote.

I don’t think I am wrong in saying: THERE IS NO DELAY IN PRINCIPAL PHOTOGRAPHY.

As I said, if I’m wrong, I’ll shut my trap. There is no delay... if you don’t believe this, keep an eye on Deadline, Hollywood Reporter, official 007 website, Twitter and Facebook.

There is no delay.

Baz didn’t report it

Collider didn’t even report it.

fI I’m wrong I will shuddup never to be heard from again!

IF this is true, watch Deadline (and others) to report. If the don’t.....